Chapter XXV

Hellhound

 

“Vampires?” Lu Han furrowed his eyebrows.

 

“Vampires are just a myth, a skeptical man like you should know that!” Mr Harley argued.

 

“I’ve seen it! Two wounds on Gill’s neck like fangs— she had been bitten, it was horrible! The doctor said she’s getting weaker day by day because of blood loss” Mr Atkins continued to weep “I tell you, it was them! If only I did not permit Gill to work on that castle this wouldn’t have happened! This is my entire fault!”

 

“Are you saying it was her employer that did this to your daughter” It was now Kris’ voice that was filled with curiosity

 

“The Bators! They are monsters! Those bloodsuckers tried to kill my daughter” He exhaled deeply. “It was Gill’s first week working there and had told us that some employees have gone missing and never came back. They were young so I told her they were probably sick of working and found themselves some man to marry and eloped. We don’t have money so she had to work at such a young age. Dear me, she was only sixteen!” Mr Atkins tried to hold back his tears.

 

“We found Gill at the foot of our doorstep early this morning with a lot of blood coming from her neck, I thought I lost her! Fortunately she’s alive but still unconscious.” The old gardener continued “I went to castle Bator to know what exactly happened but no one will tell me anything! I got so angry and was making a huge ruckus and that’s when I saw her! Her eyes were black and cold, it made my blood curl. I was petrified in an instant as soon as I locked eyes with that monster. She stared at me and didn’t say anything, just stood still and before I knew it, I was kicked out.”

 

He leaned his back in exhaustion “I looked at the castle’s window and there she was, smiling at me with that chilling glare as if she could see right through my soul. That’s when I saw it. She was wearing my daughter’s brooch! There was no mistaking it, I gave it to Gill on her sixteenth birthday and she always keeps it near her all the time. She always tells me that it keeps her safe when she’s away from us, how could that monster do that to my kind child?”

 

Kris, Lu Han, and Mr Harley stood silently as Mr Atkins’ cries filled the room.

 

“Lu Han” Kris spoke in almost a whisper and the younger one responded in a form of a nod.

 

“Mr Harley, please take care of Mr Atkins while we excuse ourselves to my uncle’s greenhouse” Kris told Mr Harley

 

“I may also need to borrow some stuff from your kitchen if you may allow” Lu Han said.

 

Mr Harley’s head was full of worries he can only mutter “Alright” giving little concern to what the younger ones just told him.

 

 


 

 

“Here, Greg” Mr Harley gave his old friend some fresh blankets and a basketful of loaf “It’s almost winter and snow will fall soon. The nights are cold so have these, you need to rest properly too. I have prepared a carriage so that you can safely return home. Give your family my regards”

 

“Thank you” Mr Atkins managed to utter.

 

“Mr Atkins” Lu Han and Kris sauntered towards them while the brunette handed two pouches to the distressed man. “This pouch contains Echinacea angustifolia root from Lord Munteanu’s garden. Crush them and mix them with vials from this other pouch and apply it to the wounded area, these help in closing the wounds faster preventing infection.” He explained carefully “The vials from this pouch are extracted from Bilberry, cat’s claw, red beets, and astragalus to aid in your daughter’s blood circulation. Once she’s conscious, let her drink some water with three drops from these vials once a day. If she is healthy enough to properly digest, put some of these herbs in her meals. I have put instructions in a piece of paper in the pouch.”

 

Mr Atkins’ eyes starts to tear up “T-thank you but, I cannot afford this. The doctor could not even give me medications because I have no money”

 

“Some doctors are scumbags for money, your doctor belongs to those ‘some’.” Lu Han scoffed “Worry not, Mr Atkins. Consider this a gift for your hard work.”

 

“I-I will earn the money to pay you back, thank you” Tears filled the poor gardener’s eyes.

 

Lu Han shook his head “We do not ask for money, just nurse your daughter back to good health. That is enough.”

 

 


 

 

“Young master, Mr Han, may I ask what was all that about?” Mr Harley asks while he prepares the table for supper.

 

Lu Han took another glance at Kris and the other just shrugged.

 

“Chemistry is a hobby of mine, organic chemistry it is” Lu Han spoke softly.

 

“Oh! Were you planning to be a medical practitioner?” Mr Harley asked excitedly.

 

“No, no.” Lu Han laughed dryly.

 

Mr Harley turned to Kris “What a capable valet you have. Why don’t you let him study medicine?”

 

“Mr Harley, I am only a hobbyist. Time will pass and so will my interests” Lu Han reasoned.

 

“It’s such a waste, you are handsome and being a doctor would make you really popular” Mr Harley sighed “But how did you know what to do? You haven’t seen Greg’s daughter even”

 

“Assuming it’s only a wound that resulted to blood loss and she’s still alive, Echinacea root is a good option to repair and increase her blood cells. Her unconsciousness may have been caused by losing a huge amount of blood.” Lu Han explained.

 

Kris continued “Shallow neck wounds can already cause too much blood loss. If she had been attacked last night, there’s a little amount of probability that she would survive by morning so it’s safe to say it was around dawn. She is still alive meaning there are no vital wounds so herbal medicines are good alternatives.”

 

“Goodness” Mr. Harley gasped.

 

“Mr. Harley, may I ask” Lu Han started “What did Mr. Atkins mean when he said ‘the monsters are back to bring misfortune’?”

 

Mr. Harley sighed as he sat on the dining chair “Young master may not know about this, it happened long before you came to this castle. But as young and knowledgeable as you are, you may have heard of the Tepes family.”

 

“You mean Vlad Tepes?” Kris replied.

 

“Yes, known as the sons of dragons, the Draculs. I have as little as much knowledge on how it is related to this vampire myth but Vlad Dracul was no angel. He was monster that killed a tremendous number of mortality” Mr. Harley continued “When the Bators first came here, an unfortunate event happened. Just like what happened to Atkins’ daughter, young women have gone missing and those that were found have lost a lot of blood and seemed to be in the brink of death. Same thing happened a decade later— women aged twenty and below have been forbidden to work to avoid another mishap. But it returned a decade after when people thought they had gotten rid of the curse. The rule had returned and young women worked no more. People blamed the Bator family but they had no proof, the Bators are a very old family with great power, they were royals and nobles. But it seems that they are relative— even descendants, of the Tepes family. “

 

Kris raised a brow “So the people connected these relations to the killings?”

 

“I wouldn’t say ‘killings’ but yes, they did” Mr. Harley exhaled deeply “The attacks indeed have stopped. It has been two decades now. Until today, that is.”

 

 


 

 

“Something bothers me”

 

Kris took a glance at the brunette in front of him. Lu Han had just placed the tray for his midnight snack when the younger one made a curious comment. “What is it?” asked Kris.

 

Lu Han pours Kris the tea and serves it to his blonde employer before sitting next to him in the chaise lounge “What is the motive?” Lu Han tilted his head.

 

“Motive for what?” Kris sips his tea.

 

“For those attacks” Lu Han took a cookie and had a small bite. “Why should they be young girls? And why stop the attacks for decades?” Lu Han munched the cookie completely.

 

“You are digging deep into this” Kris commented.

 

“Why are you unaffected by this? We have come to Transylvania and a mystery even came to you” Lu Han said exasperatedly.

 

“We’re on a vacation, aren’t we?”

 

“Kris”

 

And Kris knows that very distinct tone.

 

“I’m bored” Lu Han pouted.

 

“Stop pouting” Kris said coldly.

 

“I can’t” Lu Han whined.

 

Kris sighed, he had enough of this. He scooted closer to the younger one and placed his arms on both the back rest and arm rest, thus trapping Lu Han in the process.

 

Déjà vu. Lu Han thought

 

Kris’ face was only inches towards Lu Han and he could already feel his face burning.

 

“Should we do something to get rid of your boredom?” He asked ever so softly in his deep, husky voice.

 

Lu Han pursed his lips. He wondered if Kris could hear his heart beating so loudly.

 

“What are you thinking about?” Kris smirked, face still close to Lu Han.

 

Lu Han feels his heart is about to jump every time it beats, but he did not avert his eyes from Kris— not when he is about to recognize the foreign feeling inside him.

 

Knock.

 

Both awoke from their trance as soon as they heard a loud knock that filled the silent room. Kris stood up, releasing Lu Han in the process. Awkward silence enveloped them before Lu Han turned to open the door.

 

“Mr. Harley, is there something we could help you?” Lu Han greeted.

 

“Oh, no, I was only doing my rounds and see if there is something I could assist you with.” The old stout replied “I was at your room but no one answered so I was a bit worried. Now that I see you are here with young master then it puts ease to my heart” he smiled sincerely.

 

“I see, thank you for your concern but I am about to dismiss myself to sleep.” He turned to Kris and bowed slightly before turning back to the old butler and returned a smile. Lu Han then walked towards his room immediately.

 

Lu Han was not able to sleep comfortably that night.

 

 


 

 

“Good morning, every one!” Mr. Harley greeted with a big smile as bright as the day.

 

“Good morning, Mr. Harley” Kris replied, followed by Lu Han.

 

“How was your first night?” Mr. Harley asked while preparing breakfast.

 

“Pardon?” Lu Han jolted.

 

“Were you comfortable sleeping here?” Mr. Harley asked slowly for Lu Han to hear clearly.

 

“O-oh, yes” Lu Han awkwardly smiled but did not fail to notice Kris smirking beside him.

 

“Ah, by the way, young master” the old butler took a sealed envelope from a tray and presented it to Kris “this had arrived early this morning”

 

Kris examined the white envelope “Whose seal is this?”

 

Mr. Harley shifted uncomfortably “The Bator family”

 

“Great, just what I needed” Kris said sarcastically

 

Lu Han grinned silently and scooted closer to see the content.

 

 

Good day,

 

               Pleased to meet you, Marquis Wellesley. I am Lady Erzebet Bator and I welcome thee to Transylvania. I apologize beforehand on my behalf for this short notice but I would like to invite you for dinner at my castle tonight to discuss about my business with your uncle, Lord Munteaenu. It seems that he is currently not able to come back to Romania, but the meeting tonight must proceed. He had told me that you, his nephew, become his representative for the time being while he is away. I have produced his seal underneath to confirm my claim if you are in doubt.

 

              I will be expecting your participation tonight.

 

Lady Erzebet Bator

 

 

“What a female alpha” Kris commented.

 

“What?” Lu Han and Mr. Harley chorused.

 

“Her form of speech” Kris said “she apologizes first and then kindly gives invitation. Then starts to make demands by using words such as ‘must proceed’ and ‘become his representative’. She provides uncle’s seal to make no room for arguments, and finally saying ‘I will be expecting’ as if I am obligated. She’s a controlling, dominant female.”

 

“You can read a person only by their form of speech?” Mr. Harley sounded amazed.

 

“Most people accept the fact that humans are complex in nature” Kris replied “but the behavioral aspect can be easily understood especially by hypersensitive people— those you probably call ‘mind readers’. From how they speak, write, their movements, gestures, or fashion. Reading people only need a thorough observation and linking facts together.”

 

Mr. Harley nods.

 

“Will you go?” Lu Han asked with full anticipation.

 

“We will go” Kris said, giving emphasis on ‘we’.

 

 


 

Who would have thought I'd get sick in times where I need to update?