Trainee Life

They don't know about us~

     It was the beginning of 2012. I was a trainee at bighit and this year, well this year I wanted to finally debut. I wanted my trainee days to be over. I watched the New Year fireworks at the Han RIver as I silently wished on those dying sparks of light that this year was going to be meaningful. I have been a trainee for a year now at Bighit and honestly, I was starting to regret it. Not only is it a small company, it doesn't produce many popular idol groups either. Still, I wanted to take the chance.

 

     The alarm clock rang, rudely waking me up from my precious slumber. I glared at the clock and saw that it was 5.30am. Time for practice. I got up, tied my hair up in a bun and went out for my usual morning jog. I returned at about 6.15am to shower, have breakfast and make my way to school. Once I finished, I went straight to the company for dance practice. I was already at level 3 for dance which meant that I had dance skills that were good enough for debut. I loved dance and it was the only thing keeping me going during harsh training sessions and long nights of practice. After dance, I had singing, acting, language (Japanese and Chinese) as well as modeling classes. By the time I was done, it was 10pm at night and we were left for self-practice. This was how my days were for the past year, weekends being longer practice sessions.

     I was tired of it but I knew that this year, a new group was going to be formed and will be fast tracked for debut. I hoped it was a girl group. I wanted to debut. I wanted to debut so bad.

     The time came and it was the end of January that we all got the announcement to gather at the company for a mass meeting with the CEO. I was so nervous and started thinking of all the things that would keep me back from debuting, totally not helping my nerves. All student trainees were allowed to take an early leave from school that day. As I walked out of the school gates, I saw a few other trainees also walking the same direction as me. Hm... Bighit trainees. They were all guys and they were really handsome. One of them looked about my age but since I did not see him in any of my classes, I assumed it was probably slightly older than me. He had a baby face and a good build. I thought to myself 'I've never seen someone look like a bunny and can still be super handsome at the same time..' wait... What was I thinking? Brushing the thought away, I noticed that he met with some high school students. Oh? I knew them. They were bighit trainees too! Taehyung, Hoseok, Namjoon, Yoongi, Seokjin and Jimin... They were the most talented bunch in the company. Then it all made sense... He was probably the trainee that the CEO sent to the US for dance training. Seeing the fact that he has already returned, it probably meant that they were the trainees that were going to debut.

     My heart broke into a million pieces and I spaced out. I guess this was just not an opportunity that I can have. My footsteps got a little slower and I started to pale a little as I mentally prepared myself to hear that a new boy group was going to debut. Little did I know, I suddenly tripped on the pavement and fell straight to my face. Ouch... Well at least the physical pain masked the emotional pain I was facing. I found this as an opportunity to cry. Tears rolled down my cheeks as I started to sob. Now, you may think that I must be such a weak person for feeling so miserable that I will not debut but for every trainee, it is practically a slap in the face. It is saying that the youthful years we sacrificed to chase our dreams, the amount of sleep debt we had accumulated, the money we spent to buy ointment for muscle aches due to relentless dance practices, have practically gone down the drain. I have just wasted my life...

     I snapped out of my thoughts when I heard a deep voice. "Are you okay?" He asked. I looked up and him and saw his cute round face. He had dimples when he smiled and his eyebrow was shaped strangely. Did he shave it off? I just nodded my head and dusted myself off by myself, avoiding the stares from the other six guys that were staring at me. I started making my way towards the company again and I realised they were following me. I got ticked off and turned around. "Do you need anything?" I asked them, annoyed. They simply looked at me with a straight face and answered, " we're going the same way". Right.... They were trainees too. Embarrassed, I turned back around and brisk walk to the company, leaving them behind.

 

     As we made our way to the assigned seats, I saw that the male and female trainees are separated and we were made to seat according to our ranks that are given to us every evaluation. I sat at the front row proudly as I was always among the top students during evaluations every month. I noticed that the 7  guys also sat in the front row on the other side. Wow... it must be really true then. The CEO came in and we all stood up to greet him with respect. He smiled and made his way to the centre of the room. He looked at all of us and started his announcement.

     "I'm sure all of you know that this year, we are planning to debut a new group and you must be very excited and anxious about the members of this group right?" he asked as we all eagerly nodded. "Well without further delay let me start. We will be debuting a new.... GIRL group this year." My eyes widened in surprised and I naturally turned my head towards the guys and saw them all sink back in their seats with disappointment. I had a chance. I really had a chance! "Alright, here are the names. If you hear your name being called, please come up to the front and stand with me as we will have things to discuss on later. "

     "Park Ji Yeon, Kim Jin Hee, Kim Da Hee, Kim Mi So and Yoon Soo Jin. Please come up in front and stay back for further explainations regarding your debut. The rest of you will be dismissed. Don't be disappointed as you will always be given another chance as long as you dont give up" With that, everyone congratulated the girls and went out of the room. I was still in shock. They were all members that were barely noticed in the company. How could they debut? That isn't fair.

     A same guy that talked to me in the streets just now came up to me again. Namjoon was him name if I remembered correctly. He stood in front of me and held out his hand. " Hi I'm Namjoon. I realised you must have been really disappointed but don't lose hope okay?" He said, adding a cute smile at the end. I pushed his hand away and muttered "I'm fine" before leaving the room. Of course they'd be happy. The company might still debut a boy group but it would take a few more years before they debut another girl group. Was I going to get my chance still?

     I went to the cafeteria for lunch and got a sandwich. I saw that annoying group of 7 enter the cafeteria as well. I noticed the youngest bunny-looking boy was staring at me. He's cute.... His face changed from a curious face to an annoyed face. Ouch. Well I was rude but we're not here to make friends. I brushed it off despite feeling a pang in my chest. Jeon Jungkook wasn't it?