The Plan

One Cannot Fool the Heart
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Baekhyun and Chanyeol have some intern jokes that can be considered a little odd for other people. It's no big deal, they just have the habit of calling each other by cute nicknames, like a couple would do.

 

They probably don't even remember how or when it all started, but they agree that it's something that made them get closer in their friendship and gathers good laughs from each other every time they do so.

 

Chanyeol always laughs when Baekhyun calls him 'love' or 'honeyboo' and the shorter almost died of laughing once when Chanyeol called him 'princess'.

 

His friends were startled at first but now they got used to it, even though Baekhyun still notices the smirks of Minseok and Jongdae while they watch them. But that doesn't matter, because he and Chanyeol know it's just a joke between best friends.

 

'... Right?' Baekhyun wondered to himself as he pondered once again about those apparently innocent jokes. That's what happens on the days he lays on the couch without having many options of what to do.

 

On the couch of the living room and the remote in his hand, Baekhyun was almost dying of boredom. He stared at the ceiling remembering all the nicknames he had ever used with his friend and giggled. Maybe calling Chanyeol now would be a good idea. He picked up his phone and after finding the contact he was looking for, he called the taller to run away from his boring evening.

 

"Hi sweetheart," Baekhyun spoke when the call was answered and waited for laughter from across the line, what didn't happen.

 

"Baek?" a female voice identified him, and Baekhyun froze because he knew that voice. It was Chanyeol's mom.

 

.

 

"Uh... hi Mrs. Park, is Chanyeol there?"

 

"Yeah, he's in the bathroom now, but... Baek, is there something I should know?"

 

The boy was so embarrassed that he could die of embarrassment at that moment. What kind of conclusions were she making about the way Baekhyun called her son 'sweetheart'? Probably not the best ones.

 

"P-please don't misunderstand, it's just a joke between us," Baekhyun's voice was wobbly as he tried to explain it to her, which certainly didn't help him sound convincing. "I... I'll call later."

 

Baekhyun hung up in a hurry, leaving no time for Mrs. Park to say anything else and threw the phone across the couch.

 

He buried his face in his hands, feeling his cheeks burn. He hoped she would understand that it was all a misunderstanding and would forget about the awkward few minutes that just happened.

 

 

***

 

 

But that was not what happened.

 

The moment Chanyeol returned from the bathroom he saw his mother sitting at the dining table with his phone in front of her. When her eyes saw him she told him to sit on the chair in front of her, what made the boy feel a little apprehensive.

 

"Chanyeol... what's exactly your relationship with Baek?" that shocked the taller for a moment. Where that question came from?

 

"Well... he's my best friend," Chanyeol replied honestly, his mind automatically remembering how they had always been together since they were born.

 

"Just friends?" His mother asked him and Chanyeol nodded, making her sigh in disappointment. The poor boy was completely confused about the direction this conversation was taking. "Son, Baekhyun is a wonderful kid. I won't be mad if you two are together."

 

"Alright..." Chanyeol didn't know anything else to say. He was quite lost at trying to understand why his mother was suddenly talking about it.

 

It wasn't the first time she made comments about it, but it was the first time she'd been so straightforward about supporting their 'relationship'.

 

'But there's nothing to be supported,' Chanyeol thought to himself.

 

She sighed as if her son didn't got the hint of what she was trying to say.

 

 

***

 

 

Chanyeol thought the topic would be forgotten the moment he stood up from the table, but he couldn't be more wrong.

 

His mother kept asking about his friend Baekhyun and making comments of how good it would be to have him in their family.

 

"This house is so big for just the three of us... but seems so much more complete when Baekhyun and his family visits us," she commented at the dinner that night, making Chanyeol stop chewing his food to look at her, who was acting like what she said wasn't a big deal. The boy, however, had to agree with her point He felt happier when Baekhyun was around.

 

Chanyeol's father was surprised at first, but after a while he seemed to understand what was happening and just nodded smirking at Chanyeol, what only made his son even more embarrassed.

 

Chanyeol had never been so happy to go to school on a Monday morning, because he'd finally be free of his parent's embarrassing comments.

 

 

***

 

 

As soon as he stepped into his classroom the taller spotted Baekhyun sitting in his usual seat reading a comic book. Chanyeol sat in front of him and turned to face the smaller one.

 

"Good morning, love! I missed you," Chanyeol teased laughing and waited for Baekhyun to laugh too as he always did, but this time the shorter just gave him a shy smile and returned his eyes to his comics.

 

"Are you okay? You didn't even call me this weekend ," the youngest pouted and Baekhyun sighed distressed, closing his comic book. He pursed his lips, seeming to think of something to say.

 

"I did..." the shorter murmured, and Chanyeol soon noticed the guilty look in his eyes.

 

So

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter