fin.

Gone Cold

 

 

 

 

Today, too, Donghyun was sitting alone at the corner of the cafe while having two cups of coffees on his table as if he's waiting for someone. He took a sip of his black coffee and looked around. There's still no sign of the person he's waiting for. He let out a silent sigh. This cafe used to be her favourite cafe but why she never come to the cafe anymore; not even for once?

Donghyun looked at the cold coffee infront of him. He quickly raised his hand up, calling for the waiter who was standing beside the counter. The male waiter approached him, "Yes, sir, how can I help you?" The male waiter politely asked.

Donghyun frowned. Usually the waiter here wouldn't ask what he wants because they already knew it, "Are you new here?" Donghyun tried to make a conversation with the boy that looks younger than him. The boy smiled showing his snaggletooth and slowly nodded his head to Donghyun's question, "I see," He passed a slight smile to the boy, "Please get me a new one," He said as he pointed out to the untouched cup of coffee.

"Sure," He took the cup and put on the tray he has been holding onto, "But, sir, are you waiting for someone? Since it has been few hours you're here," He couldn't lie that the man who was sitting at the moment disturbed him to focus on his work.

Donghyun's lips slowly curved upwards, "I guess so?" He said as he lowered down his head looking at his dark phone screen. 

Waiting for someone who will never come.

+++

"Donghyun, I'm going out," Doyeon took her pink coat hanging in the cupboard and wore it. She sighed as she passed a look towards the boy who was still in bed with his body wrapped around the blanket. The girl approached him and took a sit beside him, "Kim Donghyun," Doyeon softly called out for her boyfriend's name.

Donghyun refused to open his eyes, "Let me get some sleep more," He whined as he moved his hand onto the girl's waist, and hugged her.

She chuckled, "I need to go, I have something to do today," The girl put aside the boy's hand and planted a kiss on the boy's cheeks, "See you later," Doyeon said and Donghyun weakly nodded his head while his eyes tightly closed.

Who knows that would be the last time he saw the girl?

+++

"We're about to close the cafe soon," The same waiter as before stood infront of Donghyun. Donghyun slowly lifted his head up and nodded, "Seems like your date isn't coming today?" The snaggletooth boy trying to be friendly with the man who still kept his smile till now.

Donghyun let out a silent sigh, "She won't come here," He said before he took the wallet and phone on the table and leave the cafe in instant.

Because she was already gone.

+++

He walked through the dark alley with weak steps. Donghyun knows no matter how hard he tried to make the girl comes back to him, it just won't work.

Because he's the one who failed to stop her from going. Donghyun is the one who failed to hold her when he should.

But Donghyun didn't know that she's going for forever.

For 5 years they're in the relationship, it's all great and there's nothing wrong with it.

He thought.
But what's the girl's thought?
How can he get the answer if the girl wasn't by his side anymore?

+++

Donghyun spent his whole Friday in the cafe yesterday.

Finally, he switched on the phone that has been off for the whole day. Just, he felt everyone will be bothering him, asking about his whereabouts though he knows they don't really care.

As expected, 30 missed calls and 100 new messages. Donghyun scrolled over his messages with no intention to open and read it.

But then his eyes caught on one of the name, he clicked on the message,

"We're hoping for you to be here as well,"

The message came in with a photo attached with it. It's his family photo. There's his parents, with his unidentical twins, Kim Taehyun together in a picture. They said they wanted to go for a short trip to Jeju Island, he bet they're already there by now based on the time Taehyun sent him the message.

Donghyun typed,

"Have fun"

as the reply before he put aside his phone.

Is it his fault when he kept his distance from everyone around him?

+++

Donghyun was wandering around inside of his house. He had no idea on what he should do alone in the house. The girl used to be here with him but now she's gone and he was left alone.

He walked towards the balcony that held thousand of memories between the two of them,

"Donghyun, do you love me?" Doyeon asked with Donghyun backhugged her as he put his chin onto the girl's left shoulders.

Donghyun tightened the hug upon the question, "How can I not love you silly?" He whispered the words into her ears; brought chuckles from the girl. Donghyun then landed his eyes on the girl's face, "You're the most important person to me after my family, you know that right?" 

"And you know that I don't have anyone elese other than you right?" Doyeon said as she stared into the wide horizon that full with metal buildings; accompanied by the thousand stars hanging on the sky ahead of her.

"If you love me then why did you leave," Donghyun muttered alone as his vision on the girl suddenly missing away from his mind as if he never thought about it.

She left.
And he's still here,
waiting for her.

+++

The clock striked 10 minutes past 9pm. Donghyun was watching the drama aired on the television at that moment. Though his eyes locked on it, but he wasn't sure if he really watched the drama or it's just he wanted to look like he did something else other than only thinking about the girl.

Donghyun took a peek at the wall clock behind the television. He sighed as his stomach let out a growl sound, "Right, I haven't eat anything since morning," He mumbled alone. He woke himself up from the sofa and walked towards the kitchen.

He stopped at the upon of seeing a pair of couple apron hanging beside the refrigerator. He smiled, "You really love too cook, don't you?" He said as he reminded of the girl that once who will always be here with her apron on, and chopping ingredients in order to make a really good dish for him, "You're really good in cooking though,"

"Kim Donghyun, I told you to not eat the ingredients!" The girl hit the boy's hand that sneaking onto the fried meat she put beside the frying pan.

Donghyun pouted, "But I'm hungry. I declined Sewoon, Kwanghyun and Youngmin offered to go for lunch together because I am looking forward to your cooking," He complained before he backhugged Doyeon who was preparing the sauce; her own handmade sauce to cook along with the fried meat and other ingredients.

"So now you wanted to say that you regret it," The girl scoffed. She put the boy's hand down and turned her body around, facing the boy, "I will get it done as soon as I can," She took both of his hand into her tiny hand, "So, just go and do anything you want while I am cooking," The girl said.

The boy lost in the girl's eyes as he stared into her face, "I love you," The sudden confession startled Doyeon as she could feel the red blush raised on her fluffy cheeks. Slowly, Doyeon lowered her head looking at the boy's chest instead of meeting his eyes, "Hey, look at me," Donghyun put his hand under the girl's chin, lifting her head up; looking at him, "I just want to say that I love you," He repeated the same words again.

She gulped, clearing , "Can I do my work?" She stuttered as she said that.

Donghyun ignore her request and slowly leaned himself closer to the girl, and now his nose landed on hers. He smiled, "I love you," He said the holy words for the third time before he finally locked his lips on hers.

He loves her.
She loved him. 

+++

He took a sit on the chair where he usually sit when they're having a meal together. His eyes fell on the candle located on the cabinet beside him. He stood and took it before he put the candle on the table, "It's her favourite candle," Donghyun claimed.

Donghyun took out the matches he had in his sweater pocket. He had no idea why it's there. To burn himself perhaps? Donghyun opened the box and picked one of the matches there before slide it on the side of the box to light it up.

He lighted up the candles as he stared at the candle for a moment before closing his eyes ready to blow it out. The vivid images came into his mind, the scene where he and the girl was watching the Goblin drama on television,

"You know, if you need me, you just need to blow the candle and I'll be there for you," Doyeon said with her head on the boy's lap.

Donghyun slowly caressed her hair, "Really?" He asked for a confirmation and she nodded, "Then that's mean you will always be by my side, don't you?" Donghyun laid his eyes on the girl who was currently focusing on the television.

The situation went silent for a while as the girl was too immersed watching the drama when suddenly Donghyun softly called out for her name, "Kim Doyeon,"

Doyeon turned around matching her eyes with his, "Yes?" She raised both of her eyebrows.

"Are you sure that you won't left me behind, alone?" Donghyun asked with an assuring smile plastered on his face.

Doyeon shook her head, "I have nowhere to go, you know that right?" The girl put her hand on the boy's cheek as she said that, "I promise you I wouldn't go anywhere, okay?" She managed to assure the boy with her warm words.

Donghyun smiled upon remembering the promise she did with him before he finally blow out the candle that has slowly melting. He closed his eyes again in wish that the girl would appear once he opened his eyes.

After about 10 seconds of praying, he opened his eyes in a very slow motion but there's nothing infront of him other than the darkness and loneliness that accompanied him ever since she left him behind, "But you promised me," He muttered under his breath before a crystal liquid could be seen coming out from his left eyes.

She promised him.
But she broke it. 

+++

It's Monday. 

Donghyun took a peek at his phone that he put beside his bed. He opened one of the message from his classmate, Kwanghyun. Donghyun smiled upon reading it, "Yes," He excited to the news of today 's class being cancelled because the lecturer has emergency in his hometown.

He was spending his time lazily, laying on his bed. But then, his eyes swifted to the left side of the bed. He put his hand onto the empty side beside him, "She used to be here though," He muttered.

"Kim Donghyun, you need to wake up now or you will be late for your class," Doyeon put her cold hands on the boy's cheeks to wake him up.

Donghyun whined, "Let me get some sleep more," The usual phrase he used every single day, "But why your hands feel so cold,"He took the girl's hand and hold it with both of his to warm her hand.

"Wake up now or I will bite you," Doyeon threatened the boy who was still closing his eyes, with no intention to open it anytime soon.

He reluctant to do so, "Can you lay beside me for a while? I want to warm you up," Donghyun pulled the girl into a hug; a force hug.

"Donghyun, it's not the time to play around,"

The boy slowly opened his eyes and put a kiss on the girl's cheeks who was only 10cm away from him, "Okay, I will wake up now,"

Doyeon blushed to the sudden gesture by Donghyun. She tried to wake up from the bed but then Donghyun stopped her, "Donghyun, please," She knows where will this leading them to.

He chuckled, "Okay, okay," He cheekily put a kiss on her plump lips, "I'm going to take my shower," Donghyun quickly brought himself up from the bed and waked towards the bathroom.

"I miss you," He mumbled under his breath.

She used to be here.
Beside him.
But now it's empty.

+++

The sound of bell ringing at his door woke him up from his day-dream. Donghyun forced himself to get up from the sofa and get the door. He's so deadly ready to scold anyone who was trying to disturb his leisure day.

He took a peek at the hole in the door and frowned, "Taehyun," Donghyun unlocked the door just to see his brother is standing right infront of his house.

"Donghyun, hi," Taehyun greeted him with a smile plastered on his face.

Donghyun replied it with a slight smile but the frown won't leave his face, "What are you doing here? Aren't you supposed to be in Jeju?" He asked.

"We went to Jeju last week for God sake," Taehyun said in frustration, "And the time you replied to my message, our vacation was already over," Taehyun claimed, "That's why I'm here because I am worried,"

The smile on Donghyun's face slowly change to a dull one, "You don't have to worry about me though," He muttered the words, "By the way come in," Well, as much as he wanted to avoid his family while he's still in the worst state, he could just let Taehyun froze in the cold right?

Taehyun then took a sit on the sofa at the living room, "Why is it so dark in here?" His brother complained to see the house without enough lighting in it. He opened the curtain near the television, revealing the whole city that could be seen from here, "That's much better,"

"I'm craving for some coffee so I will get ready and we should go and grab some coffee," Donghyun said. and Taehyun just nodded his head in agree.

Everything would be just fine.
He thought.

+++

The twins entered the cafe with all of the eyes on them. As usual, Donghyun would take his seat at the corner of the cafe, the most isolated one because he didn't like the intention people giving him, solely on the reason how often he would be here in a span of one week.

The same guy from before come and greeted him, "You're here again," He said and the same snaggletooth could be seen.

Donghyun silently nodded his head, "I will have Iced Americano," He told the waiter, "And you?" He asked his twin.

"Give me Caramel Macchiato, less sugar,"

The boy wrote their oder on a piece of tiny paper before he left to counter to submit the order. Donghyun took his phone out from his jeans pocket and acted like he has something to do when it's just he didnt really want to talk to Taehyun. 

Especially something involving Doyeon.

"Aren't Doyeon supposed to be here? 

Damn. He finally asked about it.

"I broke up with her," Donghyun simply said the words that actually give him too much pain that everytime he said it, it would pierce his heart and left him in intolerable pain.

Taehyun chuckled, "You're kidding don't you?" He tried to lift up the mood back but Donghyun still with his serious expression, "Wait, are you serious?" He furrowed both of his eyebrows, "But why?"

"I don't know," At this moment, Donghyun was trying so hard to keep his tears behind because he didn't want to look weak infront of his twin brother, "Just, she left me,"

Taehyun couldn't grasp with the real situation, "There's no reason for her to left you behind, Donghyun," He claimed, "She knows that you love him so much right?"

Donghyun shrugged, "Maybe she never love me for the start," He told his twin and it reminded him of the day he comes here after Doyeon didn't come home for few days,

"Where is Doyeon?" Donghyun asked the counter when Doyeon is nowhere to be seen in the cafe.

The boy at the cashier frowned, "Doyeon haven't tell you yet?" He asked and Donghyun furrowed his eyebrows, "She already resigned few days ago," He claimed.

Donghyun chuckled, "You're kidding right?" He looked around the cafe but still there's no Doyeon, "Why would she resign when she loves her job so much?" Donghyun was questioning the boy's statement.

"I have no idea why she resigned. I'm really sorry, Donghyun. She told me she just needs some time off," The boy said and trying to change the topic by talking about something else, "Do you want Iced Americano? Like usual?"

Donghyun clenched his fist, "Gunwoo, don't try to change the topic," He sterned, "I'm talking about Doyeon over here,"

Gunwoo sighed, "I told you I don't know anything about it," He said in frustration, "I'm sorry. I am really sorry, Kim Donghyun," Gunwoo asked for forgiveness from him.

"But why," Donghyun said as he grinted his teeth.

"Hey," A touch on Donghyun's hand startled the boy.

He lifted his head up and could see Taehyun was looking at him with a really worried expression, "Yeah?"

Taehyun's lips curved upwards, formed a slight smile, "Are you okay?" He asked and hoped that his smile could lessen the pain his twin feels at the moment.

"Sure," Donghyun nodded his head as he took a sip of his Iced Americano before he passed a smile to him.

She said she needs some time off.
But how much time she needs that she left him behind?

+++

Donghyun slammed his body on the bed after he spent the whole day, sitting at the cafe with his twin brother, Kim Taehyun.

There's too many things to answer.

He took his phone out of his jeans pocket and unlocked it. Donghyun scrolled over his unread messages but then a message popped out on the screen. He clicked on the message and read it,

"Do you safely arrive?"

It's a message from his brother.

Donghyun typed something,

"Yes, sure. Send my regards to mum and dad," 

He threw the phone away on his bed and let out a really deep sigh, "I miss you more than I ever imagine I would,"

It's sunny day.

Donghyun was on his way to his part-time work when he encountered a cafe, a cafe that he has never seen before. He decided to go into the shop without knowing what kind of event will happen to him in the future.

He pushed the door infront of him and entered the cafe with a light step. A boy greeted him, and Donghyun replied it with a smile. He walked towards the counter and lifted his head up to look at the menu written on the board above the counter.

"Hey, Gunwoo," He could hear a girl's voice calling out for someone, maybe the boy who is currently at the cashier now, "How can I open this?" A girl appeared from behind of the door; probably the store.

Gunwoo sighed, "Kim Doyeon, you couldn't even do the simple thing don't you?" The boy complained when the girl kept asking him to do the things that wasn't his job.

"Yah," She whined, "I am a barista, okay. My job is to make coffee, not to open this milk bottle," 

Donghyun chuckled to see the girl's furious expression, "Let me help you with that," He offered his help to the girl.

"You don't have to, though," Gunwoo said but the girl was already passing the bottle towards Donghyun who was supposed to be the customer here.

Donghyun quietly opened the bottle in ease and passed it back to the girl, "You should be more gentleman like him," Doyeon said before she left to make the ordered coffee in the waiting list.

Gunwoo rolled his eyes, "You're the one who should learn such things," He said, "Oh, sir, I'm really sorry,"

"No, that's okay," Donghyun assured the boy with his words, "Give me a cup of Iced Americano," He told him, his order before his eyes fell on the girl whom has her apron on behind the boy.

He fell for her at the first sight.
And he never regret it.

+++

Another Friday has come.

It has been a month since the girl left him. And he's still here, reminiscing memories he had with the girl.

He really live his life in such a pathetic way.

Donghyun was sitting alone in the library when his friend comes and distracted with his attention in doing assignment,

"Hey, Donghyun," The boy greeted him a little bit loud that it managed to attract other student's attention in the library, "Sorry," He slightly bowed to people around the library, "Hey, let's go and grab something to eat," He said.

Donghyun shook his head, "I am not hungry," He told the boy as he continuedly typing and had his eyes locked on the white screen.

"You haven't eat anything since morning and now it's already dinner time," He complained.

The boy sighed, "I," He took a peek at the clock on the laptop and hell yes, he spent too much time doing the never-ending assignment, "Okay, wait for a while," He failed to give an excuse to his friend.

"I'll wait outside, then," He said and left the boy behind to clean up with his stuff.

Donghyun was about to switch off his laptop when a notification popped out on the screen saying that he received an email. He took a sit back on the chair and click on the notification. His heart skips a little bit when he saw the sender name,

"Doyeon," Donghyun's eyes slowly getting teary when he saw her name.

He took a deep breath as he clicked on the message. Donghyun closed his eyes for a while before he gathered enough courage to open it, and read the message written infront of his eyes,

Donghyun stared at the screen with a blank look. 

"Kim Donghyun," Another person appeared, startling him, "We have been waiting for you for," The boy stopped talking, "Donghyun, are you crying?" He asked as he could see tear in his eyes.

Donghyun gulped, clearing his throat, "Youngmin," He called out the boy's name who was standing infront of her, "Doyeon sent me an email," He told him.

"Really?" Youngmin's eyes widened, "Then why did you cry?" He asked.

The boy turned the laptop around and showed the email to Youngmin,

Youngmin scoffed, "She really didn't deserve someone like you," He complained, "You know that right Donghyun? How can she did this to you after all of the things you have done for her?"

Donghyun stayed quiet as he let the tears running down his cheeks, grabbing the attention from the whole students in the library at the moment.

"Just forget about her, Donghyun. You deserve someone better than her," Youngmin tried to give an advice to his friend as he felt bad to see a really good friend of his in his worst state just because of a girl.

"But," He stuttered, "I love her," Donghyun confessed.

Youngmin sighed, "But she doesn't love you anymore," He told him in frustration.

"She could be lying right? I mean I could have done something wrong to her and that's why she acted like this," Donghyun started to act like someone who was not in his right mind.

His friend dragged him out from the library as he knows he could shout anytime soon, and he shouldn't have done this in the library.

The other two friends saw Youngmin walked towards them with Donghyun in his hand, "What happened?" Sewoon asked when he could see Donghyun's puffy eyes.

"Doyeon sent him an email," Youngmin claimed, "I told you I never like Doyeon from the start," He made a statement.

Kwanghyun frowned, "Wait," He tried to understand it, "She left him alone, and only send an email after a month. What the---," He almost cursed when Sewoon stopped him from doing that.

"Shut up, Kwanghyun," He scolded him, "You're going to make things worser," Sewoon warned him, "What did she say?" Sewoon asked Youngmin who was standing with his both fist clenched.

Youngmin took a look at Donghyun who was having his head downwards, looking at the ground, trying to hide his tears, "He told him," He sighed.

"She told me she never love me, not even for once," Donghyun muttered the words that gives him unbearable pain.

The two other boys frowned, "After 5 years? Seriously?" Sewoon who was at the calm side before this, suddenly could feel his blood slowly rising up, hearing to Donghyun's words, "Just forget about her," Sewoon told Donghyun the same thing Youngmin told him a while ago.

"But," Youngmin cut his words.

"Stop telling us, that you love her because that's a total bull. You just don't want to admit that she left you behind because she wants to," Youngmin exclaimed, "No matter how much you hate it, you can't blame yourself for her mistakes,"

Kwanghyun supported his statement, "I agree with Youngmin. She left because she wants to and no one force her to do so,"

"But," And this time, its Sewoon's turn to cut his words.

"We all love you Donghyun. Please," Sewoon begged him, "Don't do this to yourself. You're hurting yourself and that's not going to make things better to anyone," He tried to stay calm, "Yes, you love her. But she didn't. And there's nothing you could do about that. It's already in past and you need to accept the fact that Doyeon doesn't want you to be in her life anymore,"

Donghyun slowly lifted his head up, "It's just that I love her too much," He muttered the words before he left the other boys behind.

"Donghyun," Youngmin called out for his friend, "Donghyun, where are you going?" He shouted out loud but the boy still with his steps, slowly walking away from them.

Kwanghyun sighed, "Don't you think we need to go and chase after him? Who knows what will he do in this state," He claimed.

"I think he just needs some time alone," Sewoon suggested, "Let's just let him be alone first," He said.

But for how long?
For him to heal the pain in his heart?

+++

Donghyun was walking alone down the road as he saw the park where he usually comes with the girl,

"Where has the things went wrong for them?"

No matter how many times he thought about it, he just couldn't get it. He's happy with her and so does her. Or it's just an acting from the start?

There's no answer for the question.

"Maybe it's just that," He wiped the tears left on his cheeks, "She never love me," Donghyun said with a slight smile plastered on his face in wish it could calm himself down.