Chapter 1

Loving Jessica

Numerous airlines have already cancelled flights today and many are now stranded and forced to spend the night at the Hong Kong International Airport. If you are one of those expected to fly this afternoon, please contact your airlines for possible accommodations that they can provide to make your last evening in Hong Kong more comfortable...

 

The storm had raged through the entirety of the day and persisted much stronger as afternoon faded into evening. Yuri was one of those affected passengers, as she had expected to be flying back to Seoul that same day. It was a frustrating ordeal, to be stranded; schedules get mixed up, rearrangements must be made.

 

But this specific delay was far more inconvenient than she could have ever anticipated. The plan was to be back in Seoul that same night, get some rest, clean up the apartment, have the girls over the next evening, September 28, 2019, for their most awaited get together with the girls “complete”. It was the only day in the calendar that all eight of them would be in Seoul at the same time. The reunion couldn't be held a day sooner due to Yuri's fan meeting in Hong Kong, and it also couldn't be held a day later since Tiffany would have to fly back to California for another press conference. This would probably end up being another failed attempt at having everyone under the same roof, and Yuri couldn't help but feel frustrated about this.

 

She hadn't seen the girls in months, except for Taeyeon who occasionally drops by Yuri's apartment every now and then. But she had truly looked forward to seeing all of them again, to be around them. When she thinks of the girls she remembers how far apart they are now; how distant their careers have gone; most doing solo work, like what Yuri did recently in Hong Kong. She can't help but think of how nice it would be to go back, when things were probably considered a little less complicated, a little less problematic—when they were still nine. Everything was done together, the nine of them. As much as Yuri would like to reminisce, she knew it was no longer possible to have that nine back. All she could hope for was that small get together the remaining eight of them could conjure up. It would have to suffice; as it did for the past five years.

 

That's why all Yuri could do was release a frustrating: “Aish,” as the weather news was reported on the monitors scattered along the airport. She was stuck. Nothing could be done about it.

 

Taeyeon called, as she was seated on one of the airport benches.

 

“Talk about bad luck.” Taeyeon remarked.

 

To which Yuri chuckled, “tell me about it.” “Is everyone in the city now?” she added.

 

“Ne, though I'm with Tiffany right now. We saw the news that flights were being cancelled left to right... Do you have any idea when you'll be flying?”

 

“I don't. My manager is still contacting the airlines on the nearest flight possible. But the storm is pretty terrible, I don't think anyone we'll be flying soon.”

 

“Ah... I guess we'll just reschedule, huh?”

 

“Ani, don't resched. You guys should still have that get together. Everyone made an effort to be there. It just can't be my apartment,”

 

“Ne ne... It just won't be the same without you.”

 

“Yah, the holidays are around the corner,” Yuri tried to sound more optimistic. “I'm sure another get together won't be that far off... Tell the girls I miss them.”

 

“Yuri-ah!” Tiffany chirped in.

 

“Fany!” Yuri laughed.

 

“Yah! It's extremely cruel that we're never always complete! I miss you!”

 

“I miss you too...” Yuri sighed. “Let's just have another one before the year ends. That won't be too far off,” she reassured.

 

“Ne... it just isn't the same!”

 

“Just post photos on Instagram, I'll be keeping an eye on you guys!”

 

The conversation continued on for another couple of minutes. Taeyeon wanting to make sure that Yuri would be safe all throughout her extended stay, with Tiffany giving her own remarks every now and then. It saddened Yuri even more. She wasn't going to see them tomorrow as she had hoped.

 

The airport was still buzzing with noise; ringing phones and and frustrated video calls of how everyone was stuck. Everyone else wanting to be elsewhere. Hong Kong wasn't the place they wanted to stay in for the night, whether it be for work or any other personal reason. At this point, Yuri couldn't care less. She'll get to Seoul sooner or later, it just wasn't tonight. She was going to be with the other seven soon. But for now, fate wanted her in Hong Kong.

 

Yuri sat more comfortably on the airport bench, her eyes scanning through the whiteness of the airport and the people passing by; not a single recognizable face could be seen, not even her manager's.

 

Until there it was.

 

The face she hadn't seen in five years but had memorized all too well. Her physique standing still a few meters to Yuri's left; her long brown locks in slight disarray, a frustrated expression painted across her countenance for sure, and her phone held to her ear while the other hand clutched on the small brown suitcase she had with her. She didn't seem to notice Yuri sitting just a few steps from her.

 

Yuri's breath caught itself on , her chest beating rapidly at the sight. She was trembling almost. She hadn't seen her in ages and yet the sight of her made things comfortable and uneasy all at once; her presence—a double edged sword, bringing both peace and pain.

 

“J-Jessica?” Yuri whispered.