...

Sweet melody

“Come on hyung, just give it a rest! You haven’t left the studio at all in the last two days!” Namjoon said exasperatedly in hopes of finally convincing his friend to go home.  “You need to eat! And sleep! And you definitely need to shower.” He pointed out, wrinkling his nose a bit to emphasize his point.

Yoongi only granted him a half-hearted glare and continued to stare at his computer screen, clicking and adjusting and changing, trying to just fix this track that won’t ing sound right!

“No Namjoon, what I need to do is work and you are wasting my time. The sooner you leave the sooner I’ll finish and then I can go back.” He said tiredly.

 

 

The truth is that Yoongi is exhausted. Frustrated and so damn exhausted he almost feels his eyes giving up on him and closing in their own accord. But he is also stuck and on a deadline for this song, therefore he has to have it done by the end of the week or the company that asked for it will go elsewhere and not only will all this work and effort be for nothing, but also he won’t get paid and he’s been meaning to buy that new piece of equipment so he really needs the money.

“I know you’re stressed hyung, but you still have three days left and it’s almost ready anyway. Besides, you cannot possibly be effective when you can barely blink. You need to take a break.” He voices out rationally in a gentle tone.

“I won’t even make you go home if you don’t want to, just come get some coffee with me. We will only be out for a few hours and I bet you’ll feel so much better after. Maybe you’ll even manage to get passed your block and finish the song by tomorrow night. Just come with me hyung, please?” he pleaded but to no avail.

Yoongi is a stubborn little sometimes and especially when he gets insecure or anxious about his job, so he merely receives a scoff.

“Yeah right. You just wanna see that dude again, Seokjin right? Sorry Joon but I’m in no mood to deal with your whipped right now, I actually have things to do.” He snapped at him and Namjoon frowned at the accusation.

“Hyung that was low and honestly kind of uncalled for. I’m just trying to look after you before you die in this damn studio.” He argued, making Yoongi sigh and rub a hand over his closed eyelids before looking at him.

“Yeah…I know Namjoon. I’m sorry. I just…I can’t leave right now. But I’m gonna go to sleep in a while, I promise. You don’t need to worry about me, I can take care of myself. Go home Joon-ah, you have classes tomorrow, right? I’m gonna be alright.” He says desperately with a soft smile and it’s Namjoon’s turn to sigh.

“Okay hyung…” he responds defeated “I guess I’ll talk to you tomorrow then.”

“Sure,” He confirms, turning his attention back to the screen “goodnight Joon.”

“Bye hyung.” he says before leaving and closing the door behind him.

 

 

 

Three hours later Yoongi falls asleep in his chair over one of his sound mixing consoles, little progress having been made.

 

 

 

 

 

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~    

 

 

 

 

It was a slow day and Taehyung had begun getting bored out of his mind. He has been glaring at the clock for almost ten minutes straight, wishing that his brother would call it a day already, since no one had stepped foot in the café for the last half hour. Just then, the little bell on the door rang redirecting his gaze on the person entering the shop.

Upon recognizing the familiar face and purple hair Taehyung perked up and all but screamed: “Hyung! Customer for you!”

Jin, who had been cleaning the kitchen and putting away his baking utensils, emerged to the front of the café with a confused expression.

“What? Tae, what do you mean for me, what could th-” he cut his sentence off when he got there and saw who the customer was. “Oh! Hello Joonie what’s up?” he greeted with a sweet smile and Namjoon felt his heart skipping a few beats and his ears growing hot.

“H-hey hyung.” He greeted back suddenly shy.

“What can I get you hyung?” Taehyung chimed in as Namjoon went to sit at the counter.

“Just black tae would be great. I’ve got classes tomorrow morning and I don’t want to stay up too late.” He replied and the younger left the two so he can prepare the order.

They didn’t talk for a while and Jin took notice of the lack of excitement and the dejected look on the other’s face.

“Are you alright, Namjoon?” he question sincerely, concern evident in his eyes.

 

 

Namjoon had known the elder for only about two weeks, when he had decided to check out the new coffee shop near his university. As soon as he had entered the cute little shop he was met with what he considered to be the most beautiful man he had ever laid his eyes on. And then, when the man had laughed in the most endearing way, Namjoon knew he would be coming back. Somehow, Namjoon ended up visiting the café every single day and by the fourth time, he had managed to get into conversation with both the cheery employees and the handsome man Namjoon learned was the owner and baker of the shop. The next day Jin had welcomed him with a nickname and he’s been using it ever since. So hearing the elder call him by his actual name, Namjoon knows he is being serious and his heart swells with affection at how worried the elder seems to be. He can’t help the faint smile that forms on his face as he looks at the amazing man before him.

“I’m okay hyung.” He responds. “One of my friends has been overworking themselves and won’t listen to me. He is just so stubborn and it’s frustrating because he does this every time when he gets stuck on a project.” He admits sadly.

The elder pats his shoulder before speaking up. “Maybe if he has done this again in the past he knows his limits, yeah? Besides, you tried to help him, if he really doesn’t want to stop you can’t make him Joonie. It’s his job and his body and I know you must be worried about him but I’m sure he’ll be fine.” He tries to comfort.

“I know. I just wish he’d take care of himself more.” He sighs and Jin nods understandingly.

They stay silent for a few seconds longer before Taehyung arrives with a mug filled with tea.   

“You’re late today hyung! You almost missed us.” He says gleefully passing him his beverage. “Y’know, Jin-hyung was complaining about how he wouldn’t get to see you today.” He continues with a teasing smirk and thank god Namjoon’s tea was hot because if he had drunk any he would have definitely spat it out at Taehyung’s comment. Jin smacked his brother in the head while Namjoon blushed furiously.

“I-I...um…y-yeah, I stopped by my friend’s studio for a while.” He manages to get out and the younger hums in acknowledgement still smirking in satisfaction.

“How’s the essay you’ve been working on? The one you accidentally forgot to save?” Jin asked changing the subject before things could get awkward.

“Oh, I handed it in this morning. Thank god I remembered most of the stuff I had written or it could you have taken up to a week to start from scratch. Now I only needed three days.” He announces proudly with a smile that makes dimples appear on the sides of his cheeks.

“You know hyung,” Tae began skeptically “the fact that you make law school seem easy is both impressive and unsettling at the same time. Like, I want to congratulate you, but I also kind of really wanna punch you cause you’re making me feel stupid.” He says with a pout making both of his hyungs laugh.

“Sorry Tae,” he says still laughing “we can’t all be smart. You have other talents.” he finished mischievously.

“Did you just call me dumb?” said in mock offense clutching at his chest dramatically “I can’t believe this! I am being insulted in my own house!” he cries out shaking his head disapprovingly.

“Technically, it’s my house, not yours.” Jin points out.

“Alright then. I understand. I am no longer welcome here, I see how it goes. I am leaving then. Goodbye traitors!” he shouts grasping the opportunity to go home before grabbing his stuff and exiting the café. The other two are still cracking up by the time the door closes. Taehyung’s antics will never not be funny. That kid is hilarious.

 

 

After they recovered they stared at each other’s eyes for a few seconds before Jin cleared his voice and spoke up. “How’s Hobi? He hasn’t stopped by the last few days and I was wondering if he’s okay.”

“He’s fine.” Namjoon reassures “He has just been helping a freshman out with dancing this week. The kid isn’t sure if he wants to major in dance or singing so Hoseok is giving him an idea of what to expect if he chooses dancing.” He explains.

“Oh, that’s nice of him. He must be pretty talented if Hoseok is willing to teach him just so he can decide on his major.”

“Yeah, he is crazy talented. At both actually, that’s why he is having trouble choosing. He is a great person too, a bit shy at first, but a complete crackhead when you get to know him. I think your brother would like him. I’ve only known him one week and I can already tell they’d get along really well.” He says smiling fondly.

“I’ll keep that in mind. Tell Hoseok to bring him one day so we can meet him and we’ll see.” He smiles back. And then Namjoon seems to remember something because he suddenly sits up straight with wide eyes and raised eyebrows.

“Wait hyung, Taehyung said you were about to close the shop, do you need me to go so you can get home?” he asks in earnest and the elder chuckles.

“Don’t be silly Joonie, I wouldn’t just kick you out like that. Just finish your tea and I can lock up then. I’m not in a hurry and I literally live upstairs, so take your time.” He smiles again and it’s so soft that Namjoon can almost feel himself melting at the sight.

“Okay hyung. Thank you.” he says timidly.

“No problem Joonie.”

And then Jin goes to the door, turning the opening sign around so that it reads “CLOSED” before returning to the counter and taking a seat next to Namjoon.

The two are still talking when the tea in Namjoon’s mug is over. They are still talking when the sun sets and the moon takes its place. They are still talking when Hoseok gets back to the apartment him, Yoongi and Namjoon share. They are still talking when the clock strikes midnight, even though they both have to get up fairly early the next day. And when they are too tired to talk any more, they part with awkward goodbyes and the promise of meeting again soon.

 

 

 

 

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

 

 

 

 

 Yoongi groaned for the nth time before he lowered his head at the top of his desk squirming in his seat. Whyyyy…why,whywhywhy, WHY! He was so frustrated and angry he barely kept himself from breaking every single thing in the studio. Ughhhhhh, he sighed.

“Maybe Namjoon was right yesterday…”he mumbled out, head still hung low and eyes closed. “I need to get out of here or I’m gonna go ing nuts.”

He tilted his head up towards the ceiling, breathing out a long drawn-out sigh before finally making the decision to get up and go for a walk. He grabbed his keys and his phone, saved the damn piece in his computer and left the room.

Taking his phone out, he noted that it was already 7:23pm and disgruntledly realized that he would probably not get any sleep again tonight. Yoongi keeps his phone on flight mode while working so as not to be bothered or distracted by anyone, so when he turns it back on, he is unavoidably met with several notifications.

Firstly, there are a few messages from Namjoon still urging him to get out or reminding to take care of himself and the last one stating that he wouldn’t stop by the studio that day because there was something important he had to do.   

Yoongi frowned reading that text, not because he was mad at Namjoon or anything. In fact, he was sort of relieved that he wouldn’t be lectured today, even though he is aware of his friend’s good intentions. But Namjoon has got his own life and his studies and other friends and wasting his time with him didn’t quite sit well with Yoongi, who always felt incredibly guilty for being such a nuisance to his dongsaeng.

So yeah, Yoongi was definitely not angry at Namjoon, he was merely confused since for the last three days he had come by the studio every single day and he knows from previous experience that he would normally continue to do so until the older gave in and returned to their apartment. Yoongi just hoped nothing bad had happened, but he knows that if that was the case Namjoon would have informed him.

Still he makes sure to text the other back just in case.

 

 

To: genius that will get me out of jail

Hey Joon (19:25)

Everything alright?? Did sth happen? (19:25)

 

 

By the time he heard the familiar tiiing~  of his phone he had already reached the park close to his studio and was just about to sit on a bench. He was still holding the device on his hand so he immediately turned it on slightly anxious.

 

From: genius that will get me out of jail

Ohh hyung! Hii (19:29)

You finally came out of your cave!! (19:29)

 

Yoongi scoffed at that.   

 

Don’t worry nothing bad happened (19:29)

Just something really important came up (19:30)

I’ll tell you tomorrow (19:30)

I gtg now so byee (19:30)

 

 

Yoongi simply texted a “see you”  before he scrolled up his conversation with Namjoon searching for that specific text he had received from the younger a couple of weeks ago. He was already out and he won’t be getting any sleep again tonight, so maybe he can finally check out the place his friend had been pestering him about for so long to get his next dose of caffeine.

As soon as he found the address Namjoon had provided him with all those days ago, he stood up and started his way, relieved that it was only about fifteen minutes away if he took the bus according to his GPS.  

While waiting for the bus, Yoongi redirects his attention on the rest of the notifications shown on his screen. Apart from Namjoon, there are numerous messages from Hoseok, who for the last four days has been continuously sending him photos and videos of Jungkook, then commenting on how talented and awesome the younger is, or how shy he gets when he compliments him, or how adorable he is in general.

During the ride Yoongi tries to go through as many of them as he can, not sure when he will be able to again. Truth be told, Yoongi is secretly very excited about Jungkook’s “internship” with Hoseok and kind of regretful that he hadn’t been able to stop by the dance studio to see the young boy.

When Jungkook had first mentioned that he was conflicted about whether to pursue dance or singing, Yoongi had been quick to offer to talk to one of his friends who were a dance major. He was aware of how gifted the boy was in both domains and he considered it a shame to give up either of them.     

Having known both of them for the longest time, Yoongi was certain they would get along great when he first introduced them and asked for Hoseok’s help, but there had also been that smidgen of doubt that had made him anxious.  So, when Hoseok had accepted to coach him with cheery squeals and bright smiles, Yoongi had felt relief wash over him instantly, grateful that he had such an amazing friend. And even though he knows Jungkook is in good hands, he still wishes he could see for himself how the other is doing as he has always been quite protective of him.        

 

 

 

Getting off the bus, Yoongi turned off the videos in the sake of safety and began going down the road where the coffee shop was supposedly located. Reading the last overdramatic and undeniably whipped texts Hoseok had sent him, the rapper decided not to dignify his friend with a response, simply leaving him on “read”.

Once his destination was on sight, Yoongi turned his attention back to his inbox seeing that he had one text left. Apparently it was from his mother asking him if he would join them back home for Thanksgiving next week.

He wasn’t in the best terms with his family, but they have undoubtedly made some progress in the last few years and he would really love to see them all, especially his brother. He was just starting to write about how he would happily be there and that he looks forward to it, when he opened the door of the small café called “Epiphany” and froze on spot.

The space is warm and cozy with the intoxicating smell of coffee, dim lights and pastel colors adorning the walls and furniture. But that is not what caught Yoongi’s attention. No, Yoongi was mesmerized by the low hum of a song he faintly recognizes and the heavenly sound that accompanies it. A voice softer and sweeter than anything he has ever heard before, resonates throughout the shop, making goosebumps rise on his skin.   

What’s even more bewildering is the fact that no one seems to be the source of the wonderful melody. The little shop appears to be empty apart from himself, and Yoongi briefly wonders if Namjoon was right; if the lack of sleep finally got to him and he lost it, because he is hearing ing angels. And this can’t be normal.

 

. He thought to himself scanning around the place one more time in case he found anything that would reassure him he is not going insane.

After carefully examining the whole shop and coming to the conclusion that the voice was coming from somewhere near the counter straight ahead of him, Yoongi reluctantly took one small step closer.

Just then the song reached a part where there was a high note and a boy, the one who had apparently been the mysterious singer from the start, emerged from behind the counter hitting it perfectly like it was nothing.

Right then and there, Yoongi knew that he was screwed.

 

 

The boy had his back turned to Yoongi as he re-stalked some plastic coffee cups, probably for the next day, so he had yet to take notice of his presence. Yoongi, who was once again stunned into immobility, couldn’t help but gape at the sight in front of him. Just then, the stranger did a little silly dance as he continued to arrange some things and although Yoongi could only see his back and his black beanie, he swears he felt his heart clench just a tiny bit.

 

“.” Yoongi choked out before he could stop himself, startling the boy into a halt as he jumped a bit and hurriedly turned around to face him.   

Now Yoongi was absolutely sure he was seeing things because there is no ing way anyone could ever look so breathtakingly beautiful.

Nothing could have prepared Yoongi for the way the boy’s deep brown eyes were widened, almost resembling an innocent puppy and his brows were elevated, barely visible under straight fluffy locks and , since when did angels have pink hair??? His cheeks were tinted a cute light red tone and his plumb lips were jutted out to form an adorable pout that Yoongi had the strongest urge to kiss away for some reason and , he was screwed. Yoongi was so so screwed.

“E-excuse me?” the small boy asked timidly and , Yoongi was never one for physical contact, but right now all he wants to do is wrap this extraordinary creature in the coziest bundle of blankets and cuddle him to death because he seems sort of scared and angels must be protected.

Somewhere in the back of his mind, Yoongi knows that this is probably a normal boy and that he must seem very creepy, standing petrified in the entrance of a coffee shop late at night, staring shamelessly at a stranger after only having let out a curse, and he definitely knows he looks terrible because he has been working non-stop for the last three days, having only slept for roughly seven and a half hours during that time and having already consumed about eleven coffees.

Thus, the best his drained mind can supply him with at this moment is a desperate croak of “I need your voice.”, as he carries on staring at Jimin.

Yoongi wants to slap himself for being so awkward and helpless when it comes to human interaction. it, he was never one for first impressions anyway.

“What?” the pink-haired boy’s previously shocked expression is now replaced with one of confusion as his brows come down from his hairline only to be furrowed instead, pout never leaving the younger’s pretty face and how can he be so cute!?!

 

A few minutes pass in suffocating silence as they keep on looking at each other until Jimin can’t take it anymore and starts fidgeting with his hands (they are so ing small!!) shifting his weight to his other leg before nervously speaking again.

“Um…d-do you…need anything, sir?” he questions hesitantly and that seems to break Yoongi out of his stupor, because he is suddenly reminded that he actually has to answer to the poor boy who is probably just trying to do his job and be kind.

“Huh? O-oh, yeah-, s-sorry. I’m-” Yoongi lets outs a nervous chuckle. “God, why is this so hard…” he mutters before taking in a deep breath and looking at the side to avoid eye contact as he feels the tips of his ears beginning to burn in embarrassment.

Too caught up in his struggle to get his thoughts straight, Yoongi unfortunately misses the amused little smile that forms on Jimin’s face for the quickest second.

“I’m a music producer.” He starts firmly in hopes of clearing up any possible misunderstandings his former statement might have created and judging from the way the other’s lips form an inaudible “Oh” as he nods in realization, Yoongi thinks it was a good call.

“I apologize for scaring you. And for being so weird and…you know…” he trails off bashful, finding the floor tiles suspiciously intriguing.

“Silently staring at me for ten minutes straight like a creepy psychopathic murderer that is trying to decide if I will be his next victim?” Jimin provides and immediately Yoongi lifts his gaze at him in shock, ready to apologize again because god ing dammit I hope he doesn’t actually think I am a serial killer or something, but upon meeting the other’s gentle, teasing eyes and playful smile, he evidently relaxed.

“Y-yeah…that. I’m just seriously sleep-deprived and you are ridiculously good-looking and I am too tired for this so I really really need a coffee.” He manages to say in one breath.

At that Jimin giggles lively and Yoongi almost can’t decide if this is more beautiful or his singing voice.

“You came to the right place!” he responds joyfully, biting his bottom lip to hide his smile.

As Yoongi sluggishly approaches the counter to sit on one of the stools there, Jimin can’t help but think that this intimidating creepy stranger is actually kind of quite cute and it has been a while since a customer this attractive stepped foot into the shop.

 

 

And of course, when Yoongi gives him his order, he doesn’t mention how he technically was about to close the coffee shop up and he wasn’t gonna take any more orders because he has already turned off and cleaned up the machines. So, if Yoongi’s coffee takes just a bit more time than usual to prepare, no one needs to know. 

 

 

And as they introduce themselves and talk over coffee about anything and everything, Yoongi feels something click inside him, telling him that this is where he is supposed to be. And as time passes and the fatigue is suddenly gone from his body only leaving a foreign feeling of calmness and safety Yoongi hasn’t experienced in a long while, he knows he is falling. He is falling hard and fast and he is not sure how to deal with it.

 

 

 

 

 

 

They are interrupted a few hours later when two people come rushing inside the shop.

They both turn their attention towards the newly arrived boys who are panting just in front of the shop’s door.

“Jin-hyung?” Jimin askes concerned and Yoongi focuses on the guy that lifts his head at the mention of his name. “What’s going on, why were you running?” he questioned.

“You brat!” said man scolds “Joonie and I were coming back and I saw the lights on so I thought that something had happened to you or that you forgot to lock up!” he explained exasperatedly.

“Oh…sorry hyung. He just got caught up talking and stayed for a bit longer.” He explained apologetically as he motioned between himself and Yoongi, who gave the elder a smile and a slight bow. “Why are you back so soon though?”

“Jimin-ah it’s almost eleven and we’ve got work tomorrow. Besides we’ve been out for about five hours, that’s not exactly soon.” He reasoned.

Jimin’s eyes widened at that and a light blush returned to his face.

“E-eleven? I thought it was nine or something. I’m really sorry hyung, we are gonna leave right now.” He admitted sheepishly. As soon as he heard that, Yoongi started gathering his things to leave before being stopped by a familiar voice saying: “It’s okay Jimin, we were gonna stay for a bit too, so don’t worry about it.”

Instantly, Yoongi turned around for confirmation and was met with purple hair and a set of dimples.

“Namjoon?” he voiced out in disbelief attracting the attention of the rest of the boys.

“Yoongi?” the other mimed anxiously, looking like a deer caught in the headlights.

 

Taking in his friend’s oddly meticulous appearance, as well as his jittery demeanor, Yoongi put two and two together and smirked smugly at his best friend who was now avoiding eye contact.

“Soooo…” he began teasingly and Namjoon hissed, already knowing what was coming. “You must be the “something reeeaaaallly important.” he pointed out cheekily, looking directly at the tall man next to his friend, making Namjoon groan. “I’m guessing Kim Seokjin, right?” he continued mischieviously.

Jin, who seemed more amused than offended, approached the younger male giving his hand for the other to shake. “Hello Yoongi-ssi. Namjoon has told me a lot about you, all good though so don’t worry. It’s a pleasure to finally meet you.” He said with a bright smile. Damn Namjoon has good taste because now that he can see this Jin guy better, the man is handsome as .        

 “Really?” he asked in fake surprise “Cause honestly I am kind of an .” He said gleefully and Jin laughed loudly while Jimin and Namjoon stood stunned on the side.

“Yeah, he might have mentioned that too a couple of times.” He responded still chuckling a bit.

“For what is worth, Namjoon hasn’t shut up about you for the last two weeks either.” He said suggestively getting another groan out of the younger.

“Hyungggg.” He cried out. “That’s enough yeah? Just let me liiiiive.” He whined making everyone in the caffee laugh.

“Oh Joonie, don’t be shy, it’s nothing to be embarrassed about. I actually find it very sweet that you’ve talked to your friends about me.” Jin reassured getting close to him and taking his hand into his.

“Y-yeah?” the purple haired boy asked uncertainly daring to meet the other’s eyes. “Yeah.” Jin answered with a loving smile.

As proud and happy as Yoongi might be for his friend, this is too cheesy and awkward for him to watch, so he clears his throat to remind them they are still there.

Just then, Jimin seems to wake up from his confused trance and he gets his things before walking towards Yoongi, taking his wrist into his hand and dragging him out the caffee, shouting a “We’re gonna leave you to it, hyungs!” before closing the door behind him.

 

 

 

When they are outside and a few feet away from the shop, Jimin stops, realizing what he just did and lets go of Yoongi as if burnt.  

“S-sorry…” he mumbles looking down so as not to let the other see his blush. Yoongi still catches it though and tries his best to bite back the smile that is threatening to split his face.

“Don’t be.” He replies gently and Jimin is taken aback by how warm it makes him feel.

They gaze in each other’s eyes with mirrored smiles for a few seconds, until Yoongi registers what is happening and clears his throat again gazing at the empty road besides them.

“So…see you around?” he asked hopefully with a hesitant smile.

“Sure.” Jimin responds sweetly. “See you, hyung. Good night.” He smiles back before turning around to walk away.

“Sweet dreams Jiminie.” Yoongi whispers as the other is leaving, not even noticing the nickname that slipped out. But in the complete silence of the night, Jimin hears it, and he cannot stop smiling even when he reaches the apartment and Taehyung won’t stop questioning him about it.

And when Yoongi gets back to the studio, he plays his song and adds a melody, sweet and light and absolutely perfect for the track and by the time the sun rises that day, he has finished one of the best songs he’s ever written.