Stress-eating

True to Life: Short Shorts


 

“Hey, what’s wrong with Taeyeon?” Yuri and Sooyoung asked curiously as they sat across from their friends.

“Yeah. I’ve never seen her eat with such gusto before.” Stephanie just looked at the two uneasily.

“Actually – “

“Yah, Kim Taeyeon!!”

The four occupants of the table jumped when a loud voice boomed at the entrance of the quaint little coffee shop. Taeyeon suddenly stood up and was about to make a run for it when a slim hand gripped her forearm tightly, successfully preventing her from escaping.

“Don’t you dare walk out on me again!” Everybody inside the shop paused and looked at the couple curiously. All but one, who just massaged her temples and sighed loudly.

“Hey, what’s going on?” Sooyoung asked as she turned towards Stephanie.

“And who is she?” Yuri added, pointing to the very pretty blonde newcomer who was trying to manhandle their midget of a friend.

“What exactly were you thinking?!” The pretty girl yelled as she half-dragged a struggling Taeyeon to one end of the shop for some “privacy.” Stephanie just sighed again as she was at a loss of what to do to help her best friend out of her current predicament.

“Taeyeon may have made a fool of herself earlier.” Sooyoung and Yuri just looked at her, waiting for her to continue. Fany fidgeted in her seat.

“Well, you see – “

“You have no right to just hide from me after what you did, Pabo!” Heads turned back to the fighting couple when their voices started to increase in volume.

“I’m sorry! I didn’t know you’d react that way!” The pretty girl scoffed.

“How’d you think I’d react? Are you seriously out of your mind?!” Taeyeon finally got fed up and started shouting back.

“I’m really sorry, okay?! But you didn’t have to go all savage mode on me about it!” Blondie threw her hands up in the air, and the other occupants knew she was trying really hard to not strangle the other woman on the spot.

“There were lots of people there, Taeyeon! I was in the middle of an event! How could you just – argh!!” The pretty girl started to pace anxiously, muttering about something. Taeyeon stood her ground and went closer to the fuming girl.

“Well, what about me, huh? What do you think I felt when you reacted like that?” Blondie stopped pacing and gave Taeyeon a glare that could immobilize any other weak-hearted individual.

“How should I know when you just left like that? And now you’re stuffing yourself like some pig, as if that’ll help solve everything!” Taeyeon’s eyes widened.

“Yah!”

“Stop it, both of you!” Stephanie finally snapped and went between the bickering couple to try and do some damage control, Yuri and Sooyoung behind her.

“Stephanie! Oh my God, your friend is insufferable!” Taeyeon crossed her arms and glared back at the other girl.

“You’re not exactly a saint, either!” The pretty girl (still nameless, Yuri and Sooyoung noted), laughed sarcastically, hands on her hips.

“You’re really going to start this with me now? After what you did?!”

“I already said I was sorry!”

“That doesn’t make it any better!”

Fany’s eye twitched as the two continued to bicker in front of her. She took something out of her purse and slowly approached Taeyeon, who was obviously the one on the losing end of the fight. 

When the two paused for a quick breather, Fany stepped in before the duo resumed their screaming match. After all, Taeyeon did ask her to help her out in the first place before her best friend decided to do things on a whim.

With purpose, Stephanie carefully yet firmly kicked the back of Taeyeon’s right knee, automatically making the latter kneel down. Fany then hurriedly stuffed her friend’s hand with the object she was holding, effectively making Taeyeon blush and halting any type of outburst she was about to receive from both parties.

“Jessi, on behalf of my best friend, I sincerely apologize for her indecent behavior during your book signing event earlier. Unfortunately, any existing brain cell she had flew away the moment she saw you, and she didn’t mean to blurt out “I love your , please marry me” like a modern-day Neanderthal, and in front of so many people.” Taeyeon blushed harder and slapped Fany’s thigh lightly.

“I swear I meant book, Fany!”

“Shut up, Taetae,” Stephanie hissed and glared at her friend before turning back to smile sweetly at her cousin.

“Now, since we’re all here and it’d be such a shame to ruin a supposedly happy day, Kim Taeyeon would like to say a few words, Jessi.” Stephanie slapped Taeyeon’s back hard. She may or may not have cursed inaudibly at her friend but nonetheless continued to adjust the ring in her hands, took a deep breath, then looked at her girlfriend of eight years with her best puppy eyes and adorable pouty lips.

“I’m really, really sorry, Sooyeon-ah. You were just so very pretty earlier and glowing and happy and – “ Stephanie cleared loudly. Taeyeon blushed again but pressed on.

“What I’m trying to say is, this wasn’t the way I pictured doing you… – Wait! No! I-I mean d-doing me – Ack!” Fany couldn’t take it anymore and just smacked Taeyeon’s head out of pure embarrassment. She wondered if Jessica would allow her to ship her girlfriend to Timbuktu for some major counseling for a few months.

Taeyeon was so mortified with herself that she didn’t notice Jessica kneel down in front of her until her girlfriend gently tilted her head up and caressed her cheek.

“Yah, Kim Taeyeon. Will you shut up if I just say yes?” Taeyeon’s face was as red as a tomato when Jessica helped guide her now fiancee’s hand so she could put the ring on her finger. Jessica even helped Taeyeon get up because the girl seemed to be pretty fond of the floor at that moment. The blonde turned towards her cousin and her cousin’s friends and gently pushed Taeyeon towards them.

“Stephanie, let her finish eating first before helping her look for that rogue brain cell that got loose. I’m sure she’ll need it to understand the reason why she’s been demoted to sleeping on the couch from now on. Bye, guys!”

 


 

A/N:

Inspired by my friend who jokingly started a role-play proposal skit with me in our group chat, then said she'll just "stress-eat after my savage rejection"

Love you, boo! <3