Chapter 1

Maybe the Night
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Wonyoung sighed for the nth time in ten minutes as she stared outside her room’s window, watching people pass by and kids ride their bikes. Her mind wonders to the almost road trip and enjoyment that was almost within her reach today as she already imagined herself meeting the beautiful ocean, hear the therapeutic sound of waves crashing against the shore, of her aesthetic shots that could either make it to the gram or not, of the possible tan lines she could get for being under the blazing heat of the sun for too long, of tasting delicious food by the sea, and of spending precious time with her family today. But none of them happened. 


 

They’re supposed to go to the beach and have fun with her family; however, she woke up to the news this morning that it’ll be postponed to this weekend instead, for her parents were called in at their work. She fully understands them anyway, they’re working hard even in summer just to be able to provide for their family and especially to cater to her and her older sister’s needs. And she knows that she’s not in any position to complain when they’re able to provide what she wants even though they’re not rich, and she’s thankful for that.


 

Nonetheless, she can’t help but pray for days to pass by quickly so that it’s already Saturday.


 

Her mind also traveled to the thoughts of her friends. It’s been quite long since she last saw them in flesh. And she thoroughly misses their remarks, banters, and even the useless gossips that they usually talk about in person. She misses the way their voices and their laughs whenever someone jokes, and even when they deadpan on her puns. Nowadays, their group chat is only alive when they’re talking about food and the places they’ve went through the summer. Sometimes, she sends in something too but most of the time it’s just food.


 

Wonyoung released another heavy sigh as different emotions registered in her mind and pulse through her body. To distract herself, she let her eyes roam around her room to see if there’s something she could do, literally anything, which can help ease her mind.


 

She was about to decide of going back to bed, lay there, and just stare at the ceiling to wait for her sister’s voice calling her name to indicate that it’s lunch time, when her eyes landed on the old wooden upright piano that sits inside her room.


 

It doesn’t really belong to her. It belonged to her grandma who apparently handed it down to her only daughter, and now it has been passed to her by her mom. Her mom isn’t really a musician per se, but she does know something about notes and even a few pieces on the piano and also used to join and win singing contests when she was a teenager. Which left Wonyoung wondering ever since as to why her mom did not choose to become a singer instead?


 

Her grandmother, however, has a pure and immense love for music. While growing up, there were a lot of instances where Wonyoung can hear her grandma’s stereo play old love songs and even classical music, making Wonyoung appreciate it more than her peers would ever do. There are times when her grandma would teach her a piece on the piano and she obliged to learn them, and her grandma ending the lessons by serving baked cookies and milk. And sometimes, her grandma would even play lullabies on the piano to help her fall asleep, which is highly effective on her by the way. 


 

One time when she was little, they spent a summer vacation at her grandparent’s house, she caught them slow dancing to their wedding song in the living room. It was almost midnight and she couldn’t fall asleep and she thought of wanting her grandma to sing a lullaby for her. And so she went on an adventure to go down from her assigned room to go to their room.


 

As she got down the stairs, she heard music coming from the dimly lit living room and she thought of checking it out first before going to her grandparent’s room. The tune was familiar to her for it was one of the songs her grandma plays in her stereo. And there, she saw them slow dancing in the middle of the night with only some candles illuminating the entire room.


 

It felt so passionate to the point that even her young mind didn’t want to disturb their moment and waited for them to stop swaying together, even when her arms are starting to get sore for hugging the pillow while standing. And when the song stopped, her grandfather kissed her grandmother’s forehead. Her grandmother noticed her first and tended to her needs, offering to her that she’ll sleep in between their bed tonight. Afraid to go back and encounter the dimly lighted stairs again, Wonyoung agreed.


 

That was also when she realized that she wants to have a love like that too. A love you can slow dance with in the middle of the night, a love that grows and never falters even when they’re grey and wrinkled, a love that ages like fine wine, and a love that stays. 


 

Simply put, Wonyoung wants to encounter and experience a love that lasts, because she knows firsthand that, some love doesn’t stay and some love doesn’t last a lifetime.


 

Wonyoung stood up and moved closer to the piano. Thankfully, it’s one of the things that she usually cleans in her room, that’s why even though it’s not used for quite some time; there are no dusts on the piano’s fall. She lifted the fall and proceeded to hit every key trying to find out if it still works just as fine as before. 


 

Only to find out that for some reason, even though it’s old, most of its keys are still tuned. And thankfully, the ones out of tune are keys that she won’t use in the piece that she plans to play.


 

Wonyoung doesn’t know if she’ll be able to remember the notes correctly, but she’s already in front of the piano. She finds it amazing how an object is able to resurface memories of her grandma and of her grandparents. Everything felt like it just happened yesterday for Wonyoung, but in reality, it’s already been years and all that’s left of them is memories, photographs, and this piano.


 

As she hit every key, she relayed the emotions that she’s currently feeling; frustrations, longing, and even regret. Even when she hit some wrong notes here and there, she still continued on. The last time she felt this kind of rush was when she played right after her grandmother’s burial. That time, she hit the notes intensely resulting to a chaotic piece but this time, it was softer, just the right force to bring out the necessary dynamics.


 

And when she was done playing, she suddenly felt tired and hungry, which reminds her that she still hasn’t eaten anything since this morning. She forgot to eat breakfast for when they told her that their trip today is postponed, she went back to sleep and woke up before 10. It wasn’t like she’s currently on

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter