your number

can i have your number?

If you open the Seoul High School Yearbook of 2019 page ninety-seven, you'll stumble upon two pictures of students put side by side; very distinct from one another as the ponytailed girl is so neat with uniform that looks like it's been ironed for a thousands of time, and, of course, with at least three books of physics and chemistry on her embrace. As for the other one, the messy long haired girl, smiling stupidly with her wrinkled ed uniform and basketball jersey on the second layer.

If you wonder, "What, enemies to lovers? They fell in love? Lazy girlfriend and diligent girlfriend? A love story?" 

Oh, yeah, damn right. Though it's a little more complicated than thatㅡand much more chaotic, too. It's prolly gonna take me decades to tell their stories by details. So, I'll just go with how they could get to where they are now; happily- eh, nah, chaotically, partnered up.

It was just another usual day for Irene at school, two Math tests and one Chems laboratory pratice and she nailed it all. Just per usual. She was having her lunch on the bleacher with some other girlsㅡwho were crazily screaming at the basketball team who was playing at the center of the field at that time. She wasn't paying much attention anyways.

Just when she was about to walk back to her class, one of the teachers called her, asking Irene to come over to the other corner of the bleacher where all the basketball players were resting.

"Yes, sir?" she said, her eye tail moved fast to those bunch of players; sweaty, stinky, dirty; she thought.

"Irene, you haven't handed me your picture and full name for the yearbook. Send it to me on WhatsApp as soon as possible." her teacher answered.

"Oh, my bad. I will, sir. ASAP."

"Good. Oh," he stopped, looking at one of the basketball player in front of him, "And you too, Seulgi. Send me yours as well."

"Sir, yes, sir." Shouted one of them; a girl with long wet hair and tall body, again, all sweaty and stinky in Irene's thought.

The teacher walked away and after he disappeared by the corridor, some sense just knocked into Irene's mind. She. Didn't. Have. The. Teacher's. Number. How could she be so intelligent and dumb at the same time?

She knocked on her forehead and mumbled, "Dummy. You don't even have his number!"

Apparently (and unfortunately), her mumble was loud enough for Seulgi to hear. She stood up and put down her towel, approaching Irene.

"Hey, I know his number." She said, still all looking sweaty it made Irene a bit- lot uncomfortable.

"Yeah?"

"Yeah. I can spell them out for you."

"Spell them out? You remember his number?" Asked Irene, half genuine and half sarcastic.

Seulgi shrugged her shoulders, "Yeah, of course."

"Tch. Not possible." Irene answered mockingly while walking out of Seulgi's sight.

But she stopped her so fast, like blocking a basketball player from the opposite team, "I'm serious! He gave me his number just recently today. That's why I still remember it well."

Irene frowned as she thought; 'Is she deadly serious? She's got brains? Actually got brains to remember every last of the teacher's number? That's... honestly kinda awesome?'

She took her phone out of her pocket, kind of not believing she was doing this, "Okay, then?"

Then Seulgi started spelling out numbers. Sometimes she stopped for a moment to remember and make sure if the number she's spelling was correct. Although doubt was all over her, Irene saved the number with the name of their teacher on her contact.

"Thanks." She said, while quietly double-checking the number on a tracker before actually sending her picture and full name on the chat.

'KANG SEULGI' 

It showed on the number tracker. Then, Irene felt pissed- but also feeling so ridiculous; for being tricked, for actually falling for that trick the bimbo basketball player Seulgi just pulled on her.

"It's... your number?! My God, I-"

Seulgi bursted into a big laugh while Irene just stood there with her face being all red in rage and shame. If this Seulgi woman was someone she's known personally, she would've smashed her out of existence right now. Too bad she was a mere stranger; someone she's only been seeing a couple of times since freshmen year.

"Dang, that was so funny!" the basketball player laughed still.

"Very funny." Irene said with a low, sarcastic voice.

"Alright. I'm sorry. I was messing with you. But for real, I have his number. But I don't have my phone with me right now, so, just send me the picture and your full name and I'll forward it to him later on. I'm drop-dead serious right now, it's my apology."

So, Irene did what she's told. Unwillingly; attaching her yearbook picture alongside her name to Seulgi's roomchat. Whatever the hell the girl was trying to pull now, it didn't matter. All mattered was handing her teacher the picture and identity and that was all.

And for Seulgi, oh, this girl really got brains on how to get her crush's phone number and name. And picture too (not for a creepy purpose, absolutely!).