The Story

Like A Brother

-- At recess in school --

"No, the element after Carbon is Nitrogen, ~~~~~." YoungJae corrects you.

"Huh? Really? But I thought Carbon and Oxygen were next to each other.." you say, confused.

"Remember, Oxy and Carbon are one apart, Nitrogen brings them closer to heart~" YoungJae rhymes.

You giggle at his little poem. YoungJae always made your lessons fun and easy to understand. I wonder why teachers don't teach this way, you think to yourself.

"~~~~~? Did you get that?"

"Yeah I did~" you reply cheerfully.

"Good! You had me worried for a moment,"

"Don't worry about me, oppa!"

YoungJae smiles.

 

I always worry about you, ~~~~~...

 

-- On the way to class --

YoungJae tells you a story about his latest PlayStation3 gameplay session. You smile while watching him, noticing how bright his eyes get whenever he mentions his games.

Oppa and me are very close like brother and sister, you think to yourself.
But I don't think of him as a brother - he's so gentle he wouldn't hurt a fly~

Just as you are thinking this YoungJae almost crashes into a teacher walking the opposite direction. You burst out laughing as he looks around in embarassment.

"A brother has to be someone that watches out for me and protects me. I don't have that yet..." you worry silently.

You decide to try something out.

"Oppa, do you like playing shooting games?"

"Mwo? Nah, I prefer MarioKart!" he replies.

Even his game choices are gentle and non-violent, you note in your head.

YoungJae takes a section of his hair and puts it on his mouth like a moustache.

"Itsa me, Mario!"

You laugh harder.

"Yeah right, a blonde Mario!"

YoungJae laughs as he opens your classroom's door for you.

 

Such innocence is so hard to find nowadays. I must protect that...

 

-- On the way home from school --

YoungJae and you are nextdoor neighbours, so he walks you home every day after school.

The two of you walk side by side, discussing your latest Math problem.

Suddenly, while YoungJae's head is turned, you feel a hand cover your mouth and another pull you by the waist. You try to scream but the person's hand is so tightly pressed against your mouth that your effort is useless. The mysterious guy brings you to a nearby shed, where it appears his three friends are waiting for you.

Now that you can see them clearly you realise they are the gangsters of your form.

You suddenly recall a sentence you heard about them recently...

"And the things they do to girls... unspeakable."

You gulp loudly.

"Look what I found, guys, fresh meat!" says your 'kidnapper.'

"Perfect. We shall make a good first impression then..." another says.

Slowly the four start to draw nearer to you, their lips like a pack of hungry wolves. You try to scream but no sound comes out. The boys laugh viciously as they get even closer to your trembling self.

Suddenly you see a flash of what looks like blonde hair and one of the gangsters falls to the ground, his hand holding his face.

Your eyes widen as you realise who hit him.

YoungJae oppa??

 

With his face a burning red colour, he begins throwing punches and kicks, taking down the gangsters one by one. The gangsters are tough - they manage to give YoungJae a few blows as well. YoungJae, a little bit bloody and bruised, continues on, throwing hit after hit, until finally the last of the gangsters falls to the ground.

You stare at him in amazement.

"All this time, I never knew he had that side to him..." you think.

"Come near her again and I won't hold back!!" YoungJae shouts a warning before dismissing them.

He breathes a deep sigh of relief and then turns to face you.

"~~~~~, are you okay?" he asks, sounding and looking much more like his normal self again.

You stare at him. "Oppa... I didn't know you were like that..."

YoungJae bends down slightly to match your eye-level.

"~~~~~, you know I'm not always like that! I'm not one for violence, but-"

He looks into your eyes as he says this. "-You are like a sister to me, and it's my job to protect you."

You smile at him and he grins back. Just then you notice his lip is bleeding.

"Sorry you got hurt, oppa..."

"Hey, these will heal!" he reassures you as he leads you home.

"As long as you're alright!"

You give him a little hug as you realise he's not just your goofy best friend.

He's also your brother.

 

No one will hurt you, ~~~~~. Not if I can help it.