Memories

Star That I Can't Reach

 

Chapter 1

 

Everything in this world has two different sides. Not only  a good side, but there is also a bad side. It all depends on how you look at it. Such was the case of a funeral. Some people say that the funeral is a place where people who have not met can be met. Although when they meet later, they both will mourn the people who died. 

At the funeral, that means you lost one of your relatives, but some people say that it is the beginning of your meeting with someone who is going to come to your life. Sure enough, every thing has two different sides, including a funeral.

She stood under a black umbrella which protect her from the patter of rain which flushed the city since yesterday. She looked closely at a grave in front of her with a face without emotion. She then turned her head to see another grave located besides it.

She smiled slightly, "I'm very sad because she went so fast, but I'm also glad," she said to a man with a black shirt standing next to her. "Finally they both get together again after such a long time apart." she continued.

"Hmm.. you're right."

"There was already sixteen years we separated ..." she said quietly, "As long as we separate, I always imagined that one day we can come together in a meeting, but I never imagined that we would meet at event like this, at the funeral." Hara covered with her hands when she could no longer hold back her tears.

"Come on, eomma do not like it when you cry, so don't cry anymore!" Minho's arm around her shoulder and patted it gently.

Hara let her umbrella fall to the ground and she hugged Minho, crying in the arms of her brother who was separated from her since last sixteen years. "Why did she go so fast? How could she leave me alone?" she whined.

Minho lift Hara's face with his hand, "Hey, listen to me, you're not alone. You've still got me and Sulli."

Hara narrowed her eyes and pushed Minho back, "How could you call her name in front of eomma’s grave?" she said with a change in the tone of her voice. Now, she sounded a bit angry.

"She is family, she is our sister."

"I don't want to hear it. Can not you understand my feelings? Even today, in our mother funeral, you still defend her."

"Hara, please-"

"I'm not about to argue. Now, it will be better if I go. See you, Minho." Hara picked up her umbrella from the ground and use it despite her almost wet because of rain.

"Hara! Hara!" Minho calling from a distance, but Hara did not turn at all. She walked straight in the rain with her head down staring at the ground.

Minho sighed. He did not mean to make Hara getting sad, he just wanted to say the truth that Hara was not alone. But it seems Hara didn't like it. Maybe she was more excited to hear the fact that she is alone in this world than to hear that she still has relatives.

Minho bowed in front of the grave where Hara had stood up and said, "Eomma, I hope you can be happy there with appa." then,  Minho turned to another grave that was next to his mother's grave. It is the grave of his father, who had died seven years ago. "Appa, I'll go first." he added.

Minho stepped away. He could not linger there, although he was eager to commemorate both of most important person in his life. He had to pick up someone else who is no less important than his parents.

All that happens in this world has two sides, but unfortunately not all people want to see the other side of an event. Most of them are pretty hurt by just looking at one side and finally close their eyes to see the other side because of fear that their wound would grow.

 -

 

December, 1998

 

That night was Christmas Eve. The night where every child hopes if Santa Claus is coming to their home and will give a lot of toys if they behave well. That hope which makes Minho and Hara had a good behavior over the past year. Never intrusive mother, do not make their playmates cry, do not do stupid, all they do was good.

"Eomma, Santa will come to our house, right?" asked Hara who was sitting on her mom's lap.

"Of course, Santa will come and give you a lot of toys," replied Mrs. Choi as she gently Hara's head.

"How about me?" this time, Minho asked. He sat under a pine tree, which was decorated to be a beautiful Christmas tree, while playing with a toy car that his father bought last year.

Mrs. Choi nodded, "You two are doing good, so Santa will definitely give you a lot of toys."

She gave a slight smile on her two children. After making sure that her two children no longer ask questions about Santa, Mrs. Choi glance at the main door of their house, hoping that her husband will return soon. There is no sign that Mr. Choi will be home soon, Mrs. Choi switch glanced at the clock hanging on the left of Christmas tree.

It's almost nine o'clock.

"Where is he?" she said quietly, looking worried.

Krrtt. 

The sound of screeching door open filled the room.

"Appa come home," a male figure with police uniform looks enter the house with a happily smile. He run toward his two children who were enthusiastic for his coming, "Merry Christmas!" he said as he hugged his son and his daughter warmly.

"Where have you been? I waited for you anxiously," Mrs. Choi replied as she went to her husband.

"There was a bit  problem in the office," said Mr. Choi then gave her a brief kiss on the forehead, "A woman was hit by a drunken man, she died right then."

"How bad is it?" asked Mrs. Choi.

Mr. Choi did not respond. He droving his children to the dining room, that's when he answered her question, "She died and her daughter didn't stop crying, I'm feel sorry for her."

Mrs. Choi's eyes turned glassy as she also felt sadness like the girl felt. She went into the kitchen as she expressed her concern over the incident. Soon, she serve the food that she cooked since afternoon to dinning table, but she could not find her husband there, though no more than five minutes she left the place.

"Where is your father?" asked Mrs. Choi to her children who busy with their toys.

Minho didn't answer, but his index finger pointing the living room where he and Mrs. Choi waited for his father come home earlier.

Mrs. Choi frowned. Maybe it's just her feeling or there is something that her husband hiding from her. She didn't have to wait to find other improprieties on her husband to prove that her estimates were correct, because a moment later, Mr. Choi re-entered the dining room, but he was not alone.

Behind him, a little girl with long black hair stood there. Her eyes which were swollen explained that she spent the minutes before with crying. The little girl was probably the same age as Hara, about five years old.

"Appa, who is she?" Minho asked, breaking the silence that occurs between that small family.

"Minho, Hara, let's say hello to your new little sister!" Mr. Choi said after take a deep breath.

Mrs Choi blinked before finally decided to close her eyes as she digested what has just been said by her husband. She sighed, then opened her eyes widely. She still could not accept what was said by her husband.

-

 

“Are you crazy?”

“Mi Young, listen to me-“

“No, no, I dont wanna hear anything from you. Now, bring that girl out of our house!”

"Where's she will live? Are not you sorry for her? She does not have anybody else,"

"But that does not mean you can bring her to this house! And being a part of this family! You are too much, I'm sorry for her but this has gone too far,"

Hara is not move since she was standing in front of her parents’s bedroom door. The sound of her parents's shout make her helpless. She looked back, her brother seemed to be watching a little girl who brought home by her father. Hara looked at her, she just looked blankly at the floor and assume Minho isn't there. Hara looked back at the wooden door that separating her and her parents in the room.

"Oppa, why eomma and appa kept yelling?" Hara said as she approached Minho. Minho did not answer, he still  look at his 'new sister'. "Oppa ..." Hara shook his arm.

"She's very pretty," said Minho, didn't give Hara the right answer. "I'm Choi Minho, what's your name?" Minho reached out his hand to the girl.

"Oppa," Hara returning shook Minho's arm, but in return, Minho only glanced briefly, as if  say so that Hara don't bother him, then he turned his attention to the girl.

But the girl was not interested in the Minho. She did not shake hands with Minho, she did not even glance at the boy who was two years older than she was. Do not know what she saw on the floor of the house so she could not miss a moment only to turn away.

Braaak!

Mrs. Choi out of the room in tears after slamming the door harshly. She walked straight towards the children and pulled the girl's arm. Mr. Choi then follow from behind, he grab the girl's arm from his wife and then protect her by pushing her behind his back.

"Please, Mi Young, let this child live here, she could be a good friend to Minho and Hara,"

"We do not know about her family, what if she was the daughter of the bad guy? I will not let my child make friends with strangers,"

Minho and Hara saw both parents with an afraid. Hara even almost crying because heard her mother and father yelling at each other. And the girl.. her face looks confused and scared, one by one, the tears falling down to her cheeks.

"Look, you made ​​her cry, Mi Young, please do not talk like that in front of her," Mr. Choi on his knees and took the girl into his arms. Slowly, he patted the girl's shoulder and tried to comfort her.

Mrs Choi sighed, "You really outrageous! Not a single day that girl came into our house, you already  treat her as if she were our biological children, she only stranger! Stranger!"

"Mi Young!" Mr. Choi, who has had enough with her insults, yelling.

All there eyes got widen.

"Appa! Eomma!" Minho participated shouted with all his power, with all the strength of the seven year old kid. Beside him, Hara ended with tears all over her face.

"Minho, Hara... I'm sorry." Mr. Choi whispered but quite audible in both his child ears.

"Now, I ask you to choose, she or I who will stay in this house?" Mrs. Choi said in a loud voice.

Mr. Choi blinked. The words just came out of really stifling. He might not get to choose. If he let the girl out of his house, she will be displaced in the middle of the cold night. That girl do not have anyone and do not have anything. But he also could not just let his family shattered.

"You do not get to choose?" Mrs. Choi's voice weakened, she definitely hurt badly. "Wait a minute, is it true that she is the daughter of a victim of an accident? Or perhaps, she is your own daughter? Are you having an affair?" Mrs. Choi began to cry.

"Mi Young, this is not like what you think,"

"Then what? I can't understand you again, I should go. Whoever this kid, I don't want her in our house, but you don't take her out, it means I'll get out," said Mrs. Choi, trying to look calm in front of her husband.

"Eomma~" Hara cried, then she run and hugged her mother legs tightly.

Mrs Choi knees, she hugged Hara tightly and cried in the arms of her daughter, "Hara, let's go! You'll go with me."

Even Mr. Choi or Minho just sit down and see how Mrs. Choi and Hara stepped out of the house. Mr. Choi is now feeling like a mess, he feels guilty. Suddenly, his mind told him to drive out the girl from his house so that his wife and daughter will be back, but when he saw the girl's face, he was powerless. There was something in her face that made him anxious, but also brings peace.