The Story

Movie's Over

WOO JI HO’s POV

I looked at the house that I left few months back. The house that used to be full of love, happiness and life. It is now empty, lonely and dull to look at. The neighborhood that fate decided for us to meet in the midst of everything.

“Where did we go wrong, babe?” I whispered. The sky looks like it is going to rain soon, matching with my feeling. I sighed. I looked back at the house, slowly making my way to the entrance door. I fished for the keys that I put in my pocket and unlocked the door. I am contemplating whether to go inside or not. I chose the first.

Stepping in, I still can smell the faint perfume that you used when we lived here back then. I opened my eyes only to be greeted with our pictures hanging on the wall. Our wall of fame as you used to describe it. I moved towards the picture that we took during our last meeting before things started to fall out of place. We looked at each other with a loving gaze. The gaze that made us so in love with each other as we looked at each other.

“Oppa! I hope we can stay like this forever. The two of us followed by our future kids,” you said as we sat next to each other at the sofa in our living room. I walked into the living room. I recalled the moment where you started to change. You complained almost everything, I noticed it, day by day, and how a frowning face replaced your loving appearance whenever I reached our home. It is liked you are a completely different person.

“Oppa, why did you arrive at this time? You were supposed to come an hour ago!” you yelled as soon as I came.

Feeling guilty and disappointed that you raised your voice to me. “What happened to the girl who never raises her voice? Where did the angelic voice go?” I thought to myself.

“Mianhaeyo babe. I had a last minute meeting the board of directors. A new project just came in,” I explained softly. I looked at you. My mind could not stop thinking about the old you. I walked towards you, slowing embracing your petite figure into my arms. Your pale complexion to the cold aura that you exuded. I missed the old you.

Pushing me slightly, you went to the kitchen where you prepared all the dinner for our fifth year anniversary together. I followed your steps behind, pulling the chair, waiting for you to start the event. You just started to eat without telling me as you always do. Feeling upset, I looked down and ate the food you made.

My flashback cut off when I heard something upstairs. I stand up and moved to the stairs. Looking up, I noticed that our bedroom door is opened slightly. Curious, I went there, switching the light on as I opened the door. The lingering scent of your perfume is slightly strong than downstairs. It almost felt like you were here a few seconds ago. I quickly ran downstairs, searching for your presence; I saw the main door opened that I rushed towards it, hoping to have a look at you even for just a minute. It would make me feel a live even though I knew it was not going to happen.

Realizing what I tried to do, I moved back into the house. “Never. She will never come back..,” I murmured. A tear fell from my eyes. Dejected. The feeling that I felt now. I wiped the tears from my face, moving to the couch. Closing my eyes, feeling heavy, I decided to have a rest before going home.

“Oppa! Where have you been?” You asked, pouting.

Smiling upon seeing your figure in front of me standing, waiting like a lost child. I slowly walked to you, hiding my hands behind my back.

“I’m sorry. Forgive me, baby girl. I didn’t mean to. I had to check out the site. There’s traffic on my way here.” I apologized, as I held my hands in front of you.

I noticed your lips twitched and your eye smiles. The one that I’m longing to see every day, no matter how busy I am. Knowing that your sulking feeling will be gone soon, I placed the flowers on your hands. Seeing a tint of pink on your cheeks, I let out a small laugh, enough to be heard by us two. Placing my hand at the small of your back, we made a move towards the café that we promised to meet every day after you are done with your work at the flower shop.

“How was your day babe? Did some men hit on you while you are working?” I asked knowing that there will always be men waiting in front of the shop the catch a glimpse of my own girl. Being the shy girl you are you replied that there were men trying to flirt with you. I shook my head. Placing myself in front of you, I looked into those beautiful brown orbs.

“Did you talk to them?” feeling agitated that you talked to them. You stifled a laugh before you said you did not. Gleefully, I pecked your cheek, knowing that you will blush. I hold your hand and we both went inside the café. The waiter whom saw us every day prepared our orders, smiling, greeting us as he always did.

“Oppa, if I am to leave you for a while, will you be able to take care of yourself?” you asked as we sat facing each other.

Teasingly I said, “Of course I can. I’m a man now. You show me how to act like a man ever since you came into my life.”

You smiled but somehow I felt that something is not right. Shrugging it off, I continued our conversation as if you did not ask the question.

The next few months before our fifth anniversary, I noticed your slight changed in behavior. I asked you if something is wrong but you said it is nothing and smiled. Every day, you changed from being the shy girl to this nagging figure, complaining, protesting on every single matter. I remained patient and calm, knowing that it is somehow my fault for not being able to make time nowadays. The company is under the spotlight and I keep on trying to further my business across Asia. In the end, neglecting you in the process.

I felt that we are separating by a large bridge that I have to cross over just to get you back to me. However, whenever I tried to make it up to you, you kept on saying that you have things to do. Finally, on our fifth anniversary, you decided to call it off. I could not stop you from doing so. You look exhausted and tired from our relationship. The moment you said that I felt the world has just turned me over. Nevertheless, I knew that you will not go back to your words. That same night, you left me, hanging. You left our home, the place that is filled with our promise to stay with each other.

I woke up when I felt something caressing my cheek. Looking around, I remember the feeling of your touch. I knew it was you. I know that you are here. Sitting up, I saw a paper placed on the table in front of me.

Ji Ho oppa,

I’m sorry for leaving you. It’s not that I want to. You have to move forward and not looking back, for you know I won’t come back anymore. Stop blaming yourself for it is not your fault.

I hope you will find someone to colour you life back, oppa.

Saranghae..

Yours forever,

I looked around for you when the front door opened; I saw the faint smile on your face as you walked out of our home. I grabbed your wrist, still looking at you. You stepped closer to me, caressing my cheeks.

“I know you can move on oppa. I’m sorry for leaving you. It’s the only way for you to forget me. So that you could find someone, better. I’ll  look out for your from there. You know I will always do and always will love you, Ji Ho oppa,” with the final sentence, you kissed my lips, before you go. Forever. A place that I could not reach. I could only watch as you faded into the air.

The woman that I love. The next few days after you left me, I heard the news from our neighbor that you passed away from leukemia. No wonder you looked pale, and thinner. I blamed myself for not noticing your appearance more carefully. Mi Sun ahjumma, our next door neighbor told me that it is her choice to not get the treatment as it cannot be cured anymore. In addition, that she wanted to spend her life, knowing that she could love someone that is me. Woo Ji Hoo.

Walking out of the house, the sky is dark now. I checked the time. It is past ten in the evening now. I went to the car the I parked in front of our home. I felt the breeze and somehow I know it is you. Watching over me.

“Saranghae..” I whispered to the wind. I have a last look at the house before I went, leaving our memories, our past behind.