Chapter One

Fated Hearts

Alena sat upright in her bed, a scream ripping past her lips. Her blue green eyes wide in terror and her tan skin drenched in sweat. She looked around her room making sure she was still there and not at the bottom of the ocean like in her dream. This wasn't the first time she has had this dream. For the last two weeks since she turned nineteen she begun to have this same dream over and over. Always waking up in a cold sweat, gasping for breath like she had almost drowned. But as she calmed down she remembered the faceless man calling for her. The dream was so surreal it was as if she were really there, like it had actually happened. With a shake of her head she turned to the clock sitting on her wooden bedside table. The bright red numbers read 5:30 am, exactly thirty minutes before she needed to be up. With a groan she threw off her purple blanket and stood, reaching for the silk pink robe she kept on a hook next to her bedside table. The bathroom she had was large, with two sinks and shower stall and a tub filled with jets. Once the water in the shower was going she made her way over to her walking closet next to the bathroom to pick out a cute outfit to wear for today. Seeing as it's the first day of her last year of being at her high school, she was going for the cute yet sassy look. With her outfit in hand she walked back to the bathroom and went through her normal everyday routine. A couple hours later she stepped out and slipped on a pair of brown boots, heading for the hall.

351eb2796a8d95d64cb5cf2fba6795cf.jpg

(the shoes are brown boots)

She walked passed a full body mirror and quickly pulled her light brown hair back in a messy bun. Down stairs her mother busied herself with preparing breakfast. Alena smiled, listening as her mother hummed a tune she could only guess as the song she would sing her to sleep with at night when she was still a kid.

"Good morning mom." she said, taking a seat on one of the stool chairs in front of the counter. Her mother jumped a bit, having not heard her eldest come in and turned with a small smile.

"Good morning, you're up early." her mother spoke. Alena nodded not really sure if she wanted to talk with her mom about the dream just yet. Though she would know more about it than Alena herself would. You see, Alena is half white half Native American. Her mother is Cherokee and is very in tune with nature. Whereas her father is English, he moved from England and married her mother four years after they met. Alena always loved hearing the story about how her parents met, it was almost like a fairy tale.

"Mom I have a question."

"What is it, sweetie?"

"What do you think it means when you have the same dream ever night?" her mother froze, eyes wide in shock.

"What kind of dream?"

"I had this dream last night about a ship sinking, in the beginning I was standing alone on a deck filled with couples." Alena looked down at her hands, not really wanting to meet her mother's eyes. "Then a man came up calling me his love, after that it's all a blur."

"You don't remember anything that happened after that?" Alena shook her head.

"I just remember that and waking up drenched in sweat and gasping as if I had also drowned."

"I'm not sure what it means sweetie, but you need to eat or you'll be late for school." her mother smiled, pointing to the plate of food she had placed on the counter in front of Alena. With a light laugh she hurriedly ate her food before standing up and grabbing her bag to leave. Waving her mother goodbye she rushed out the door to her car and drove off.

The front of the school had students standing in various groups, like any other high school out there. Who have your geeks, the populars, the goths, the gamers, and then there's Alena the nobody. Not that she really minded all that much, just made things easier to deal with. Her first class was her favorite, History 101. The teacher, Mr. Jones, was awesome. He made learning really fun and easy to understand. Alena found a seat in the back while other slowly filed in once the bell rang to signal the start of the first day. After a couple minutes Mr. Jones walked in with a guy standing behind him. The girls in the class gasped and either begun to giggle or whisper about how hot the new transfer was. Alena looked up, blue green eyes met dark mysterious brown. It felt as if time had stopped all that she saw was the boy at the front of the room, it was like no one else was there except for them. He pulled his gaze away, breaking whatever is was that had her frozen in place.

"Good morning everyone, I hope you had a good summer break." Mr. Jones said "This young man here is a new transfer student from South Korea, Mr. Song would you like to introduce yourself?

"My name is Song Mino." his voice as deep, sending waves of pleasure down her spine. Her eyes traveled from his shoes and up his body, taking in all the details from the wrinkles in his clothes to the indents of his muscles. She reached his face and finally noticed he was staring at her once again. Alena's face turned a bright red and she quickly looked away, embarrassed at having been caught staring. Mino smirked as the teacher pointed to the empty seat next to her. He plopped down in the chair, making sure to kick her desk lightly. She sent him a sharp glare, to which he just smirked at. Before she could retort at him kicking her desk, the teacher started his lesson.

“Okay, as I said last year, that is if you had me.” He joked, some of the students laughed. “This year we are going to start out with something sad, but very interesting.” Alena rolled her eyes; this was going to be another boring lesson.

“We are going to learn about the tragedy of the Titanic.” The class groaned, all but Alena. Her eyes widened in shock. Something deep in her heart sparked to life; almost like she was meant to learn about that day. Mino kept his dark brown eyes locked on her, burning a hole in the side of her skull. Her ears perked up as Mr. Jones explained to the class how this lesson was going to go.

“Your first assignment is to write a paper on the tragedy with a partner.” Cheers erupted from the class. “Now, I know you must be excited to pick who you will work with, but I’ll be the one who chooses for you.” He said with a wide smile. Alena chuckled as the rest of the class sunk in their seats at the news. After picking up a paper from his desk, which Alena figured was the list of students; he walked down the first isle. Those who were partnered up moved their desks closer to each other so that it would be easier to work. He stopped between Mino and Alena and looked between the two. Mino stared at the teacher with a bright smile.

“Alena, you will be partnered with Mino.” Her head shot up as she looked at him in fear. She could hear Mino chuckle as well as some of the girls whispering things. This was not how she wanted to start the beginning of her last year. Not one bit. With a defeated sigh she pulled her desk over towards his, getting out a piece of paper to start working on.

(A/N: from here on out the rest of the story will be in Alena's point of view. I changed it because as I started writing it again it came easier for me to write it like it's coming from her.)

"Now, I want you and your partner to figure out a schedule that will allow you both to work on the project.” The teacher continued “Keep in mind that the partner you are paired with right now will be the person you will work with until the end of the quarter.” More groans sounded and the teacher chuckled before passing out the assignment papers.

“These papers have a list of books for you to ready to help you get started on your papers.” He said, looking around the room. “It also tells you what I will be looking for on the paper.” With that we got to work. I took a deep breath and turned to Mino, only to meet his piercing brown eyes. My cheeks flushed red with embarrassment.

“So, I’m free Wednesdays after school and on the weekends.” He spoke up, causing me to jump a bit at the sound of his voice. I nodded, showing him that those days were fine for me as well. During the week I didn’t really have much to do seeing as I don’t really have friends. It’s just been my mom and I since my dad left us when I was really little. Due to me being quiet and shy people tend to steer clear of me. The only time the look my way is when they want something or to bully me.

“Um, your name was Alena right?” he asked, trying to get me to look at him. Before I could answer, the most sought after girl and the one person who wishes to make my life hell walks over and leans on his desk. Her shirt was low and showed her obviously fake s.

“Mino, I wouldn’t try getting her to talk to you, she talks to nobody.” She said with her shrill high pitched voice. It made my ears ring every time she spoke, not to mention it was super annoying. "You should just leave her alone and come sit with me.” Mino didn’t even look her way, he kept his gaze on me. Having noticed he wasn’t paying attention to her she walked over to my desk and slammed her hand down on the wood. I flinched away and Mino looked up at her and frowned.

“Alena is nothing more than a beat down whose dad didn’t even want her.” Now that was a low blow. “Not only didn’t her daddy leave her mom also has to bow down to my mom just so they can live in a nice house.” With each word that left I could feel my anger begin to rise. She was so focused on insulting me that she hadn’t noticed my body start to shake in anger. Mino caught it and quickly stood up, glaring at her.

“Shut up!” He growled, backing her up against the wall. “So what? Her mom works for your mom just to make a living! So her dad left her because he wasn’t strong enough to stick around! How does this make her nothing more than dirt?!” He was yelling at her, his glaring getting more deadly with each word. I was shocked beyond belief. No one moved, not even the teacher.

“I’d rather pay more attention to a monkey than a spoil rich like you any day!” He spat out right as the bell rang signaling the end of the first class. Mino walked the two steps back to his desk and threw all his stuff into his bag before doing the same with mine and dragging me out. He walked so fast I had to practically run to keep up with him, his grip never left my wrist.

“Call your mom and let her know you’re coming home.” He spoke when we stopped at a black crouch rocket. I just stared at him still shocked over what just happened. With a shake of my head I glared at him.

“Who do you think you are?!” I growled, poking his chest. “I didn’t need your help and I sure don’t want to go home and end up having to make up work because some stupid decided to with me!” So, I have a small secret. Yeah, my temper is nothing to laugh at. Once I snap I tend to go full and cuss. The shy girl everyone sees is just a front, a mask of sorts. I only act shy because I don’t want people to look at me. As I stood before him huffing, he smirked which surprised me even more.

“I knew it!” he laughed “You being shy was just an act.”

 “You knew?” I spoke, still confused.

 “Yup, you may be able to fool those at this school but you can’t fool me.” He smiled at her “So, if you have this much spunk why do you let her make fun of you?” I turned away and shrugged.

 “I don’t want to cause trouble for my mom.” With that I walked back towards the school, leaving Mino behind.