1

Xiumin the arctic fox

“Xiumin… Xiumin! Wake up!” I feel my younger brother’s paw hit my nose. I sneeze and look up with sleepy eyes.

“What is it that you want Kai?” I yawn. He wags his tail and bounces around me.

“We’re going on our first hunt today! Come quickly blue eyes, before they leave without us!” he barks enthusiastically. Annoyed I stand up and stretch. I don’t like it when my siblings call me blue eyes. I’m the only one with that eye colour, so they usually tease me with it.

 

We leave the fox den to see that the others are already waiting on us. Some look exited, and others are nervous. Mom and dad are also there.

“Let’s go kids, you have a lot to learn today,” they say and leave to go hunt, and we follow them quietly.

“Are you ready? I’m so tense that my tail is trembling,” Amber says as she starts walking next to me. She is the second oldest in the nest and unlike the oldest sibling Kris, she’s very cheerful and hyperactive.

“It is our first time, the only thing we have to do is watch and learn,” I tell her calmly, while I’m actually pretty nervous myself.

 

“Now you all just sit silently here and watch us and the pack,” dad tells us and leaves. The pack recently found an area where a lot of prey can be found. Me and the other siblings do what our dad told us to do, but after a while the younger ones get restless.

“This is so boring,” Sehun yawns and starts playing with Kai’s tail. Soon enough they start running around, making a lot of noise.

“Be quiet!” Kris barks, and they immediately stop playing.

 

I smell something, I sniff the air and I register an unfamiliar scent. It is the smell of dead meat and rotting fish, it’s disgusting and I try to cover my nose with my paws. The others smell it too.

“What’s that horrible smell?” Amber barks. There is something very wrong here and our parents are too far away to smell or hear anything. Then we hear a loud growl and the ground beneath us starts shaking. A huge, white monster is quickly approaching us.

“Polar bear! Run!” Kris yells and grabs Sehun who is the youngest by the collar and carries his sibling away from the monster.

 

Unfortunately I trip and can’t get up anymore. I look up and see my brothers and sisters disappear in the snow landscape when the dark shadow of the polar bear looms over me. I try to crawl away but he presses me down to the ground.

“Where are you going snack?” he grins so I can see his sharp teeth. I shiver in fear, is this the end?

 

“Hey you! Yes you, the ugly thing!” I suddenly hear Kris and Amber growling. The polar bear glances at them and gets directly a stone against his head. I take my opportunity to bite as hard as I can in his paw, he tastes awful when I sink my teeth into him. He growls in pain and releases me. I quickly run to where my siblings are and hide behind them. They look so dangerous right now, this is what I admire about them.

“Psh… I’m not going to waste my time on a few pups” the polar bear mocks and walks away.

 

“These Hares are great!” Kai wags his tail but everybody is busy eating. Mom smiles and gives us a

“Just wait when you can catch your own,” she tells Kai. I sigh, next time I want to be able to protect myself.