Final

Trapped

Zoey was borned and raised up in the States. Her father was an American and her mother was a Korean, making her a half-American and half-Korean. Even though Zoey did not live in Korea, her mother had taught her Korean since she was a small kid. She wanted her only daughter to know how to speak fluently in her native tongue as well as in English. To make sure that Zoey knows how to speak and write in Korean, her mother had insisted that she can only speak to her in Korean and she must write a short essay in Korean every weekend.

At the age of 17, Zoey had told her parents that she would like to further her studies in Korea. Initially, her father had opposed her decision. He was reluctant to let his only daughter to be far away from him. On the other hand, Zoey's mother was happy and proud because her daughter had wanted to learn more about her mother country, Korea. With the help of her mother, Zoey was able to persuade her father to let her further her studies in Korea. "She can always come back if she feel that she is not able to follow up with the classes there." Her mom had said so. After much persuasion, Zoey's father finally agreed with her decision. "You must tell us if you can't catch up with the classes there. Do we need to hire a personal Korean tutor for you?" Zoey and her mother laughed at her father's question. "Daddy, umma has taught me Korean since I was five. I know how to speak and write in Korean fairly well."

With both her parents' permission, Zoey was overjoyed and started packing up her belongings in no time. She had longed to visit the beautiful country where her mother had came from for a long time, ever since her mother told her the folks tales of Korea and described the foods and festivals and pretty places in her mother country.

On the day of departure, Zoey's parents had accompanied her to the airport. Although the one that was reluctant to let her go initially was her father, the one that wept and couldn't stop hugging Zoey now that she was about to leave for Korea was her mother.

"Umma, don't cry. Your little daughter is going to be fine." Zoey hugged her mother back tightly, holding back the tears that were threatening to fall anytime from her auburn-coloured eyes. Her father who was watching silently besides them suddenly came forward and hugged both Zoey and her mother and whispered to her mother that their little daughter will be alright. Zoey was touched and she knew that she'll missed her parents' hug.

"Mom, I need to board the plane now." Zoey said as she pulled away from her parents as the voice of a female announced that the plane she was going to board is going to depart in 15 minutes."A-alright dear, don't forget to call us once you've reach your school's dorm and settle everything." Zoey nodded. With her backpack on her back and the luggage carried on her hand, she shot one last loving look at her parents before walking pass the entrance and boarded the plane.

It was Zoey's first time boarding a plane. Her first time going overseas. Her first time going somewhere so far away from home alone. Everyone has their first time in everything. Zoey thought so herself and smiled. A cheerful and cute steward served her a plate of fried chicken rice and a glass of apple juice. She thanked the handsome guy and stole a glance at his nametag. Jung Ilhoon. She made a mental note to ask the guy his handphone number later before she deboarded the plane. After all, who says only boys are allowed to ask girls out for a date? Zoey was certainly the outgoing girl. She sighed contently when she finished her dinner. Plugging her earphones into her ears, she chose her favourite song and closed her eyes to rest. It's going to be a long and tedious journey on the plane. Slowly, she dozed off with Jason Derulo's "Marry Me" playing into her ears.

After 12 hours of flight, Zoey finally arrived at her destination, Gimpo Airport. During the flight, she befriended the girl who sat beside her on the plane, Baek Suzy. During their conversation, Zoey found out that Suzy was actually the same age with her and she went to the States to visit her aunt. Suzy was surprised that Zoey could spoke so well in Korean when she found out that Zoey was actually borned and raised in States and never been to Korea before. Zoey thanked her mom secretly for that. Wihout her mother by her side to teach her Korean, she was sure that she would be facing lots of trouble when she reached Korea. They were even more surprised and happy when they found out that Zoey was going to go to the exact school where Suzy was currently studying at, Seoul International High School. They were so engrossed in their conversation that Zoey forgot all about asking the Ilhoon guy his contact number until they reached the luggage carousel.

"Oh! I've totally forgot to ask the guy for his contact number when we deboard the plane just now!" Zoey exclaimed.

"Ah right! The Ilhoon guy you told me just now. What a pity~" Suzy sighed.

"Well, so long for my first ever possibly boyfriend." Zoey shrugged and Suzy laughed.

After making sure that they took all their luggages, they flagged down a cab and headed straight to their school for it was the first day of school. As soon as they reached the school, Suzy had kindly guided Zoey to the principal office to submit her registration form and other necessary forms. After settling everything, the principal handed Zoey a paper that contained her room no. and timetable. Lady Luck was obviously on Zoey's side as she squealed in delight. She got the same room as Suzy, which means they were roommates.

After dragging all the luggages and bags into their room, Zoey and Suzy quickly changed into their school uniforms and headed to their respective classrooms before the classes started. Throughout the day, Zoey had made quite a few friends, the loud and talkative Jung Hoseok, the so-called "cold city guy", Kris Wu and the pretty and tall blonde girl, Choi Sooyoung. Her outgoing and cheerful character helped a lot, not to mention her ability to speak Korean fluently. Many of her classmates were surprised to have a transferred student in their class but they welcomed her gladly.

At the end of her first day in school, Zoey excitedly told Suzy all the friends that she made in her class and all the funny jokes that her new friends had told her while Suzy nodded and laughed listening to what she said. It was almost passed midnight when Zoey finally remembered her promise to her mother. She digged out her phone from her pocket and called her parents, apologized to them and ensured them that she was fine and so on. After the phone call, Zoey chatted with Suzy for another 30 minutes before they finally decided to sleep. Laying on her bed, Zoey smiled to herself. Coming to Korea to study was really a good choice I've made. With that in mind, she finally fell into a deep slumber. As the two girls slept peacefully in their beds, a pair of purple eyes sprung open and stared at Zoey from under the bookshelf in their room.

With the busy schedules they had in school, time flew by and in a blink of an eye, two months had passed. It was a bright and lovely Sunday morning when Zoey woke up in the melodious singing of the birds outside the window of their room. She laid at her bed, unwilling to leave her bed so soon. She looked around the room and smiled when she saw Suzy was still in a deep sleep. It was then her eyes caught something she never realized was in their room before. She jumped off her bed and ran towards it.

"Suzy! Is this your doll?" Zoey picked up a cute-looking doll laying on the floor near the cupboard and asked her friend. Suzy who was finally awoke looked up.

"No it's not mine. The previous girl that stayed in this room told me that the doll belongs to her roommate who quits from the school suddenly one day and did not bring her doll with her when she left. Anyways, how did you find the doll actually? I thought I had put it into a box and keep it away." Suzy explained.

"Oh I see. I just found it on the floor when I woke up just now. I was thinking that perhaps your boyfriend gave you this pretty little doll yesterday as your birthday present." Zoey winked as she hugged the doll tighter. The brown-haired doll wore a cute orange and pink dress and its long and smooth fake hair was braided neatly on both side, making it cuter and more huggable. What caught Zoey's attention most was the doll's eyes, the purple lobes that seemed to sparkle under the beams of sunlight. They looked so real that it seems like the eyes were from a real human's. Zoey shrugged, feeling weird and uneasy with her sudden thought. There was no way the doll's eyes were from a real human. She placed the doll back on the floor and ran over the bathroom, giggling while trying to push Suzy out as they fought to see who can use the bathroom first in a playful way. At the sound of their laughters and giggles, the doll slowly turned its head and fixed its eyes on Zoey.

Later that night, Suzy had went to bed early, leaving Zoey alone, struggling with her essay. She had totally forgotten all about the essay that her teacher, Mr. Seo Eunkwang had assigned to them last Friday as she had been spending the whole day hanging out with Suzy and her friends in the shopping centre today. Zoey, Hoseok and Sooyoung had persuaded Suzy and her boyfriend, Kris to take some couple selcas at the photobooth in the shopping centre while the three of them also took the chance to snap some photos. They even helped the couple designed their photos with lots of hearts and fluffy cute images. Zoey certainly had a lot of fun today, until she remembered the essay that she needed to hand in tomorrow. And out of all teachers, it must be the alien's homework. Zoey certainly did not hate this teacher or what, but sometimes Mr. Seo can be extremely weird and crazy. There was one time when a student forgot to do his homework and Mr. Seo had made the poor chap danced to Apink's "Nonono" in front of the whole class as a punishment. Crazy erted old man. Zoey wasn't going to let herself getting punished by him. Nuh-uh. She frowned and focused on her essay again. 

Just then, she felt someone was watching over her. The sensation of eyes on her, like that of a finger running across her skin gave her a sudden shiver. She turned and looked around the room. No one was looking or watching at her. She fixed her gaze on her essay again. It hadn't even passed 10 minutes when she felt it again. The uneasy feeling of someone watching over her. Zoey turned around again. This time, she found out who was watching her. Or should it be what was watching her. The purple eyes doll. She had thought that the doll looked cute and innocent, but now, with the doll "staring" blankly at her all alone with Suzy sleeping in the room made her quivered. She did not like one bit that the purple eyes of the doll looked more real than they were in the morning in the silent room now.

"Alright, I had enough." Zoey stood up from her seat and went across the room to pick the doll up. She glared at it. "You're not going to look at my back from now on." Zoey opened the cupboard and tossed the doll in before closing the door. 

"Vrrooom!!!" A deafening thunder roared at the same time as the door of the cupboard closed with a "thud" sound. Zoey almost had a heart attack when the thunder roared. The thing that frightened her most was neither small insects nor cockroaches, but the lightning and thunder. As another lightning flashed and glittered across the sudden pitch-black sky like a green snake, Zoey ran across the room and closed the window tightly before the strong gust of wind managed to force its way in. Zoey ran to her bed immediately after she made sure that the window was tightly closed.

Upon reaching her own bed, she pulled the blanket and covered herself fully with it. She looked down, trying to pull her bolster up to hug when she saw them. The pair of purple eyes. Zoey screamed. She waved her hands frantically, trying desperately to grab something to protect herself while her legs kicked furiously at where the eyes staring at her a moment ago. They had disappeared. Her hands managed to grab hold of something. She swung it down, hitting the place where the eyes were at several times before she realized something was off. The "stick" she held on her hands did not feel like a stick at all. Zoey focused her vision on the "stick" and the next moment, she screamed her lungs out just as the thunder boomed again. It was the doll's leg.

With all her might, Zoey threw the leg as far as she could and tried her best to stand up from her bed. She was totally freaked out now. "Suzy! Suzy!!" She tried to wake her friend by calling her name loudly but failed as the storm outside had completely covered her voice. She was about to run to Suzy's bed when she suddenly felt something crawling up her back. Zoey froze, too terrified to react. As if the thing had some magnet on it, Zoey found her head slowly turned to the side by some unknown force and she finally saw what was on her back. The purple eyes doll was looking at her, its head dangling from its half-torned neck, blood dripping ever so slowly down its pretty orange and pink dress from its half-broken neck, and when it opened its mouth, a childlike voice came out from its mouth, "Your fate had been decided when you first stepped into this room. I've been waiting for 5 years for a suitable body and finally you came."

Zoey screamed again. However, before her voice could escaped from , two tiny hands appeared out of nowhere and cover tightly. The doll started chanting and all Zoey saw before passing out is the doll getting larger and larger. Or was she getting smaller? On the other side of the room, Suzy stirred in her sleep, clutching her blanket tighter as she felt a sudden chill down her spine.

 

"Zoey, wake up! It's 7.45am now and we're going to be late for class if you're still sleeping like this." Suzy chuckled as she nudged her friend lightly.

"Mmm..it's morning already? Ah, I had such a horrible nightmare yesterday, Suzy. You wouldn't believe me even if I tell you." Zoey blinked, adjusting her eyes to the bright sunlight. For a brief moment, Suzy saw Zoey's auburn-coloured eyes turned purple. When she looked again, she saw that they were in their usual colour, not a tint of purple found in them. A trick of the sunlight. Suzy thought to herself. She urged her friend again, practically dragged her into the bathroom so that she finally started preparing herself ready for school. As Zoey changed into her uniform, she took a look at herself in the mirror and smiled. It's a bright new day, a bright new beginning and a bright new Zoey.

"You're Zoey from now on. Not Son Naeun. Don't ever forget that." She said to herself in the mirror. Zoey walked out of the bathroom and together she left the room with Suzy before the classes start.

 


 

 

4 years later...

How long has it been since my soul was trapped in this stupid grinning doll?

1 year? 3 years? Or 5 years?

Why can't the other students that had stayed in this room noticed something unusual about this doll? About me?

They seemed like they didn't even saw this doll the whole time they're in this room...

I need to get out! What am I suppose to do to get myself out?!

All of a sudden, Zoey felt her heart beat once. It's the signal, she knew it even though she didn't know how she was supposed to know. The signal that her chance to get out of the doll has came. Zoey sat up straight, eyes focusing on the door. After a while, the door was opened from the outside.

"Junhong! I found our room!" A guy shouted at his friend as he was walking along the corridor of the Seoul International High School's dormitory while his friend trailed behind him. Room SkyBlue 351. He turned the key and the door opened with a click sound.

"Really? Oh woah! It's nice!" Junhong exclaimed. "Are we really going to be staying in this room as long as we study here, Minhyuk?"

"Of course! We're stuck to this room as long as we study here and I'm liking every bit of it." The first guy said excitedly. They started unpacking their stuff when Junhong saw something under the table.

"Hey, there's a doll underneath the table. And it has auburn-coloured eyes."

 

 


 

A/N : I've just corrected some of my mistakes in this story and added a few things in. Sorry for the inconvenience and enjoy! Also, if you spotted any mistakes I've made, please tell me and I'll make sure to correct it/them. ^__^ 

Also, comments/subscibes/upvotes are highly appreciate and loved! <3