One Fateful Day

A Confession

 

Your POV

"Why am I at school again?" 

I whined while my friend, Hoon, sighed and replied "Ya. You have to go to school Hwan-ah. It's for our future. Or would you rather be a homeless guy later in our lives?"

I just sigh in defeat. I know that I can't really argue with him as we’ve been friends since childhood, so I can never win against his words.

“I just hope classes end early today so I can sleep all day long", I said as I stretched out my arms while yawning, waiting for the classroom teacher to enter the room.

Speaking of which, the teacher finally enters the classroom, but she’s not alone. A girl accompanied the teacher by her side, a girl I have never seen before. 

"Everyone, this is Minatozaki Sana. She have just arrived from Japan due to her parents working circumstances. I hope you guys get close to each other and help her get used to her new environment.” 

She looks over at Sana, “Okay, Sana you can sit behind Minhwan there.” She pointed towards my direction. The seat beside me has always been empty as my past classmate moved to another country due to financial instability. She was even nice to cover up for me when I sleep in class (which happens most of time). 

Anyways, the transfer student starts to approach the empty seat besides me and sits. Me, being a nice guy and all, tells her, “Hey, I'm Minhwan. But you can just call me Hwan... or yours if you want to.”

I saw her taken aback from what I said but to my surprise, she calmly replies, "Hello Hwan, my name is Sana and I hope we can become close friends".

I blinked owlishly.

“Alright class, we are going to start working on the previous test as most of you didn't do well on it, especially Hwan," my teacher says as I put up a piece sign towards her while smiling. I don't really study for tests so I already knew my test results were gonna be bad from the get-go.

"Well, since you have a great student beside you Hwan, you might want to ask for her help with studying as she was one of the top students in Japan. Anyways, lets start the class.” With that being said, the teacher starts class.

While the teacher began writing something on the board, I’m not the type to really focus in class and instead my thoughts focused about what the teacher just said. I looked at Sana, who began scribbling notes.

“Are you really that smart?” I asked her. Sana looked up from her notes and looks at my me. She just answered with a simple nod as she wanted to listen to the teacher's lesson.

Lunch time came and I was honestly curious about the new transfer student. To be honest, I found her to be quite cute (What? She’s Japanese and they're really cute). "So how did you learn korean while you were in Japan?" I said curiously as she can speak korean fluently and not because I was slightly into her. 

“I actually had friends that were Korean and we had people who were also from Japan and Taiwan; so we taught each other on how to speak other languages. I also spent my free time learning Korean, as I knew beforehand we’re going to Korea because my parents have been thinking of moving here a while back.”

"Wow, thats very cool! Your friends stayed in Japan?" I asked and I just saw her smile becoming a frown. 

I knew I just asked a wrong question and I immediately regretted on what I asked. "Hey I'm sorry... I didn't mean to lower down your mood. I'll buy you lunch since you are new here and as an apology. How about it?"

She tilts her head to think about the offer, and eventually she gave a nod. “Okay... but I get to choose what I want.”

I just smirked with her answer. Somehow, I know that I'd do anything just to keep her smiling again. At this point, I got confused as to what I am feeling right now.

...Do I like her?