Chapter 1

Jennie: Best of Me

Elijah

 

You mean no harm. Just tell him what you feel — nothing to be nervous about. Come on, Elijah. Just tell him and everything is going to be okay.

 

I went to this clinic not to have any medical consultation. I am here to talk to someone. I’m now standing in front of a doctor I never met before. I study his face. He looks like a doctor any patient would feel comfortable with. He has this genuine smile that can take away nervousness. He has that aura. I look at him, but that made me more nervous. My heart beats so fast I feel like I'll die any moment.

 

Jennie. The name that rolls perfectly in my tongue.

 

I look at the doctor again. This man is her father. The father of the girl that's making my heart flutter every time I think of her. I came here to meet him and ask for his blessings to date his daughter. I like Jennie, and I want to get to know her more. This is the first time I decided to do something I want to do without thinking my family and the people around me. I am not an impulsive person, but when it comes to Jennie, I'm willing to do things I never imagined doing.

 

The clinic looks like a typical clinic. White walls, clean surroundings, medical equipment, plaques of awards and recognitions, and the usual smell of a hospital, but what caught my attention is his family photos. I look at his wedding photos. I look at the beautiful young bride that looks exactly like Jennie. I saw pictures of Jennie I never saw before. There's a newborn and toddler pictures of Jennie, as well as Jennie in an elementary school uniform and her in New Zealand.

 

"She's my daughter and my only child. She wants to be a singer, and I'm sure she is going to be a great one. Her mom doesn't want her to be a singer, but it’s my baby girl’s dream, so I'll do everything I can to help her to make it happen." The doctor smiled at me warmly, and he looks so proud of his daughter.

 

I feel like someone slapped me on the face. I can't be that guy who'll ruin her dreams. I can't be that guy for Jennie.

 

"Sir, my name is Elijah Ellington, and when the time is right, I'll marry your daughter," I told him.

 

The doctor smiled before patting my shoulder. "Then grow up as a fine young man and come back here and talk to me. Do everything it takes for you to be the best version of yourself because that's what you and my daughter deserve. I hope to see you again."

 

Present time. July 2011.

 

"Elijah Ellington, the grandson and heir of Yunjin Group of Companies is back home from abroad. He spent his Secondary Education in the prestigious Eton College, the exclusive boarding school tagged as 'the nursery of England's gentlemen'. He is set to continue his Tertiary Education at the University of Oxford, another prestigious university not only in the United Kingdom but all over the world. He is rumored to take a business-related degree in the university considering the vast amount of business his family owns. He is the only grandchild of South Korea's business conglomerate Yang Yun-jin.

 

Yang Yun-jin is the CEO and founder of the Yunjin Group of Companies that own the Yunjin Shipping and Korean Air. He also holds a large number of stocks of Kia Motors Corporation, South Korea's second-largest automobile manufacturer. The conglomerate family also ventured in the entertainment business 14 years ago as Yang Hyun-suk, the only son of Yang Yun-jin, founded the YG Entertainment that houses successful names in the Korean entertainment industry today.

 

Yang Yun-jin marked his family name not only in South Korea and other Asian countries but also in the United States. Seventeen years ago, the late daughter of the business magnate married Carter Ellington, the Chairman and CEO of Ellington Entertainment. Ellington Entertainment is an entertainment company based in Los Angeles, California. The entertainment label ranks within the Top 3 companies in the entertainment industry in the United States. The company produces Hollywood movies and TV Series and eventually ventured in the music scene producing songs that top the boards all around the world.

 

Elijah Ellington is also the only son of Carter Ellington, and as the sole heir of a large chunk of business in Asia and the United States, Elijah is expected to become one of the richest and most influential people ten years from now. The 16-year old teenager stole the heart of the nation with his looks, wit and charm. He is the successor of massive amount of fortune and influence but he was never caught in any form of scandal. He lived his life abroad modestly and known to be a humble and kind-hearted boy to his friends abroad. He spent six years in Europe to study but always goes back to Seoul every chance he can get. And now, the nation's favorite boy is back home to spend a gap year here in South Korea before going back abroad to finish his studies."

 

I tossed away the tabloid after reading it. My face is all over it. The plane I was in landed three hours ago. I went straight to the subway after hiding from my grandfather’s security team for almost two hours. I love using public transportation as I get to observe and meet people. It's risky, but I believe everyone who knows me is used to it. I do things no one will never believe someone in my status will ever do.

 

I used to be a cautious and reserved guy, but I learned how to enjoy my life more after I started studying abroad. I met a lot of people and learned a lot of things while living away from my family. My first few weeks abroad were horrible. Racism still exists even in the upper-class portion of the state. There was a time when I was out in the park, a bottle full of pee was thrown at me. I hated living away from my loved ones until I met my best friends named Scott, Jamie and Lewis.

 

I was drowned in my thoughts when I saw an elderly woman walking towards the subway. I stood up and offered her my seat. I'm really in Seoul now. I am on my way to the old YG building to see my friends. I spent most of my time with them whenever I'm in Korea.

 

I checked my phone and saw a missed call from Jennie. I was in Seoul during the Summer Half school break, and that was August 2010. The last time I saw her was during the Christmas break, and that was also the time I went to see her Dad. I still remember that meeting perfectly. I still remember how horrible I felt after realizing how selfish I was that time. It has been seven months since I last saw Jennie. I miss her. I miss her so much.

 

I took a cab from the subway to Hapjeong-dong and went straight to the old YG building. The walls of the building are full of fans' love confessions to their bias. I smiled. This place is where most of my happy memories happened. I ran around the hallway, played hide-and-seek with the staff, trainees and even other well-known artists from YG. I remember taking singing and dancing lessons with the trainees. I learned how to rap and play musical instruments. This is the place where I get to be myself, the place where I did all the things I want. The place where I can do whatever I want. This is my happy place.

 

I am waiting for the elevator when I notice someone standing beside me. A girl with a slim body and a boy-cut hairstyle. I smiled at her and she bowed timidly, then slightly moved away from me. I looked at her. She must be the Thai trainee Jennie's been praising all the time. “Sawadika!” Her lovely eyes shined brightly upon hearing me speak Thai. “You must be Lisa. My name is Elijah.”

 

She looked at me and said, “How did you know my name?”

 

I laughed and said, “I’m a wizard, Lisa.” She was about to answer when the elevator door opened. “I know a lot of things in this dungeon.” I winked at her. “Go now, Lisa. It won't do you good if you're going to be late in the monthly evaluation. I don't want to see you go home. Nice to meet you. I'll see you around!”