20

Love Is...

Chapter Twenty

♫ PLAY: Drowning

 

"Do you have any idea what's going on in here?" I asked Jooyeon, squinting towards their direction.
 
"Yup! It's your engagement party." She asserted.
 
"No, I mean, with Kai and, and his friends."
 
Kyungsoo stood up and I looked at him.
 
"Excuse me." He said, his voice low, then headed towards his friends.
 
Something is going on in here. I am sure.
 
Baekhyun was now explaining something to Kai. I could tell by his expression that he was mad. Kai, on the other hand, looked nervous.
 
Suddenly, Baekhyun said something to Kyungsoo before he went up the stage and adjusted the microphone. Everyone focused on him. Even Jooyeon and I did the same thing.
 
"Um, so, here's another beautiful song for you guys." Baekhyun glanced to the side and mouthed, "Music, please." 
 
A familiar tune blasted from the huge speakers on the stage.
 
 
For all the times I felt cheated,
I complained 
You know how I love to complain
 
 
"Now I'm wondering, is this really an engagement party or just their concert?" Jooyeon suddenly asked, grabbing the glass of water in front of her.
 
"There's not so much to do in occasions like this. Maybe they are just trying to entertain the visitors so they won't leave." 
 
This time, another couple sat down beside me and said, "Hi, Minah." The woman said.
 
I gave a simple smile as a reply.
 
I don't even know who they were.
 
Her husband tapped her shoulder and whispered something. Then she faced me again. "Oh, sorry! I forgot to introduce myself." She giggled softly. "I am Oh Jimin, and he is my husband, Oh Hyunbin." 
 
Jooyeon kicked my foot under the table after hearing this.
 
Must be Sehun's parents.
 
I was just about to ask them when suddenly, Oh Jimin said, "I am Sehun's Mom." 
 
"Oh," I smiled. "Um, nice to meet you."
 
Both of them smiled back. "Congratulations, by the way." She said.
 
I think they have no idea that our marriage was arranged.
 
"Thank you," I just said. 
 
"I wonder why Sehun hadn't introduced me yet." Jooyeon whispered.
 
"Maybe he's just waiting for the right time. And besides, you just started dating. Be patient Jooyeon, please." I whispered back.
 
I focused my attention on Baekhyun who was now almost at the last chorus of the song.
 
Sehun's parents were swaying as Baekhyun sang. And the ones around us were also being carried away by his beautiful voice. 
 
 
God gave me you... Ooh, ooh
 
 
Baekhyun finished the song and quickly went down the stage.
 
I looked at their direction once again.
 
Kyungsoo was busy talking to the guy who was in charge of the music and Sehun and Baekhyun were saying something to Kai.
 
"Go now." and "Oh, God," were the only words I could make out as I squinted at them.
 
Kyungsoo walked back towards them and started to explain something. Then suddenly, he pointed towards our table. Kai nodded and, "Okay, okay, fine." He said before climbing up the stage.
 
Baekhyun and Kyungsoo climbed up as well. Sehun approached the guy in charge of the music. 
 
I turned my attention to Kai, who was now grabbing a wireless microphone from Baekhyun. Kyungsoo looked to the side and gave Sehun a nod. 
 
The music started with a piano, which made the atmosphere calm. 
 
I always thought that pianos sounded good.
 
I mean, I first heard it when Kai took his piano lessons, and the sound of it made me feel at ease. Like, it was pulling out your soul and you just cannot resist listening to it over and over again. 
 
Kai put the mic in front of his lips. He opened his mouth, but didn't say anything.
 
Baekhyun and Kyungsoo looked at him, confused.
 
The visitors looked confused as well.
 
I felt my stomach grumble and stood up to look for food.
 
"Hey!" Jooyeon said, grabbing my wrist.
 
I stepped back and looked at her. "What?" 
 
"Where are you going?" She asked me.
 
I looked at the stage once again. Baekhyun was saying something to Kai. "I'm hungry." I whispered.
 
The atmosphere was still quiet, waiting for Kai, or either one of them to say something.
 
Jooyeon looked at their direction before standing up. "Okay, but we'll go back here after, alright?"
 
I nodded.
 
"Excuse me," I said to Sehun's parents. I dragged Jooyeon away from our table and started to look for the caterers. 
 
"Um, wait!" Kai suddenly said. 
 
Was he calling my attention?
 
For what?
 
I'm hungry. I need to eat.
 
I was about to turn left when Jooyeon pulled me back. I almosted fell flat on the grass.
 
"What?" I looked back at her, annoyed. 
 
"He was nervous. Sorry for that. Um, hey Minah, this one's for you." Baekhyun said using Kai's mic.
 
Kai bit his lip and looked down.
 
The music started once again.
 
He took a deep breath before he began, 
 
 
Don't pretend you're sorry
I know you're not
You know you got the power 
To make me weak inside
 
 
I can see him trembling as he sang the first part.
 
 
Girl you leave me breathless
But it's okay 'cause
You are my survival
Now hear me say
 
 
Jooyeon started dragging me back to our table as he sang the refrain. And I felt myself being hypnotized by his deep, husky voice. 
 
When he started singing the chorus part, my hungry feeling went away. 
 
 
'Cause every time I breathe I take you in
And my heart beats again
Baby I can't help it
You keep me drowning in your love
 
Every time I try to rise above
I'm swept away by love
Baby I can't help it
You keep me drowning in your love
 
 
This was the very first time I heard him sing.
 
"No, I will never sing. Ever!" He would say, when his parents asked him to sing in front of their business partners.
 
I heard him rap, though. But this was different.
 
Kai does not like it when there are a lot of people looking at him. But it was impossible for them to avoid his handsome face. Now, especially, they couldn't help but look at him while listening to his beautiful voice.
 
I felt my heart beating faster when his eyes landed on me. "Baby I can't help it you keep me drowning in your love..." He sang.
 
 
Everyone clapped after he finished his song and went down the stage.
 
I felt myself smiling and clapping.
 
"And you say you don't want to have him as your husband." Jooyeon said. 
 
I have to admit that he made me proud tonight.
 
What he did for me was really sweet. But that doesn't mean I was going to change my mind, at once.
 
I still have a one month vacation to contemplate about it and finally, when that comes to and end, maybe I will be ready.
 
Maybe I will be able to say my final decision. 
 
 
I was inside the house, in the living room. Halmeoni just arrived and she was talking to Hyunseong.
 
After eating, I decided to go back inside.
 
Jooyeon was with Sehun and Sunhwa was with his boyfriend, Siwan. 
 
There were some visitors inside the house, most of them were Hyunseong and Jungah's friends or business partners. They were talking about things I would never understand. Like, how they will build this thing in this place and how much it would cost and if it would be able to attract a lot of people.
 
Stuff like that. 
 
I plopped down on the couch.
 
I felt really tired, even though all I did was eat, sit down, watch, and talk.
 
"Hyunseong's son is very disrespectful." An old woman said to her companion as they walked past behind me. I looked at them as they made their way to the kitchen with a glass of red wine in their hands. 
 
That is true.
 
When it comes to older people, he treats them as if they were the same age as him. Except for the ones that are close to him, of course.
 
I just don't know why he acts the same when it comes to his parents.
 
He acts like that, since we were kids, flippant and everything. But, I'm sure he can change. I trust him. And I'll help him.