Finding My Way Into Your Heart

Finding My Way Into Your Heart

 

CREAK…That was the last thing you heard before you fell into despair.  That was the sound of your shoe smashing onto your lost contact lens.  “Oh !  Just my luck.” you said irritated as you squat on the floor trying to find the other you lost while looking for the first one that fell off.

 

“Now, if only I could…”  Creak…comes another dreaded sound that seems to be pulling you further deep into misery.  This time you knew it wasn’t you as you faintly saw a pair of shoes right in front of you.  “Ahhh..damn it!” you said more irritated that before.

 

You look up to see who the owner of those shoes are, who in your mind, blatantly stepped on your almost invisible contact lens.  You squint your eyes, but all you can see is a blurry figure of a man who seems to be tall and has broad shoulders.

 

“Sorry, are those your lenses?” he said in a low tone of voice.

 

“One of them at least.” you said as you stand up to brush the dust off your hands.

 

“Sorry, I saw you and wanted to help.  I didn’t think I’d cause more harm than good.  Can you do okay with having just one?” he asked grabbing your oversized purple tote bag on the ground.

 

“I smashed the other under my shoe a few minutes before you did the other.” you said annoyed looking around trying to find a figure that might look similar to your bag.

 

“Hmmm…you are as blind as a bat aren’t you?” he asked waving his hand in front of your face.

 

You swat his hand away peeved at the rudeness of the stranger treating you as if you are blind.  “I can see that much, you know.”

 

“Your bag is with me.” he said holding your bag up close to your face for you to see.  “I’ll walk you over to class or somewhere, anywhere you’d like to go to.” he said as he holds your hand to lead you.

 

You pull your hand away surprised by the sudden hand holding.  “Thanks, but no thanks.  I think I can find my way on my own.  I don’t even know you.” you said in your most irked voice.

 

“We’re from the same department…Humanities and Social Studies.  We have classes together too and I sit behind you every time.” he said with a does-any-of-it-ring-a-bell tone of voice.

 

“Behind me?” you said as you kept digging in your memory who sits behind you in each class you attend.  “Oh !  Tall, broad shoulders, manly voice and sits behind me in class – It’s Taecyeon!” you thought as you begin to freak out inside your head.

 

And freaking out at this moment is indeed valid and reasonable.  You had the biggest crush on him since you saw him reading a book at the library.  You thought he looked cool and mysterious, brooding in the corner with a thick book in hand.  You were struck dumb in awe as you stare at his face thinking the angles of his cheekbones matches his defined jaw.  Then seeing him around people, socializing and being quirky made you think he’s cute and adorable too.

 

You turn around biting your lip as you wanted to curse at yourself some more.  You’ve finally had a chance to talk to the man of your dreams and not only were you looking pitiful as a blind lady, you were a pitiful, mean, rude, blind lady.

 

“So do you know who I am?” Taecyeon asked bending over to have his face close to yours to give you a better look, not knowing that he’s only making your heart pound so hard you could feel it in your ear rendering you deaf.

 

You wanted to say his name, but you couldn’t seem to speak, let alone breathe by the sudden turn of events.  (Yes, at first you were blind, then deaf and now practically mute.  Pretty soon you could die for not having to breathe properly.)

 

Taecyeon stands straight again as you were unable to give a name.  “I knew you didn’t know who I was.  I guess even if I told you my name, you wouldn’t know me.” he said scratching his head.

 

“I’m Taecyeon.” he said as he grabbed your hand to shake it.

 

It took a lot of effort and willpower to get your senses back and you finally said, “Hi.  I’m…”

 

“I know who you are.” he said cutting off your introduction.  “Let’s go?” he held your hand again to lead you to class or to clouds as you see it, which of course to you is blurry at the moment.

 

“I think I have a pair of glasses in my bag.” you said.

 

“Let me see.” Taecyeon said as he goes through your bag.

 

“Good thing I just organized and cleaned out my bag last night.” you thought to yourself feeling thankful that you did something right.

 

“Not here.” Taecyeon said.

 

“Are you sure?” you said looking worried and confused.  You remembered always having a pair in your bag in case of emergencies such as this.  “I cleaned out my bag last night.” you thought to yourself and now you’re thinking you must have left it out of your bag.  “Typical…it’s there when you don’t need it, not there when you need it.” you said with a sigh.

 

“Got another stashed somewhere?” Taecyeon asked.

 

“Locker.” you said.

 

“Then let’s go.” Taecyeon said as he held your hand tighter.

 

Taecyeon’s warm hand never let go of yours as you weave through the crowd back to your locker where you keep another pair of glasses.  You hate wearing those glasses as they made you look like an old librarian especially when you put your hair up.  He would occasionally hold on to your shoulders pushing you to the other side to keep you from getting bumped by the oncoming swarm of people in too much of a hurry to notice the little blind girl along the way.

 

“Stairs.” Taecyeon said warning you of the stairs in front.

 

“Umm.” you nod letting him know you could somehow see it.

 

He stood close to you as he holds your waist in one hand and his other hand holds your hand.  The action sends a shock into your spine almost causing your senses to blackout.  You held your breath for a while as he holds the side of your tummy, scared that he might think your fat.  “Oh God!  Thank you.” you thought to yourself as you contemplate on your luck.

 

“Step..” Taecyeon said as you simultaneously take a step.  “Step..” he said again.  “Step..” he said once again, but you stumble a little.

 

“Are you okay?” Taecyeon asked worried.

 

You laughed a little at your stupidity, thinking you used to be so good with a flight of stairs even with your bad eyesight.  You figured it isn’t really your eyes that’s wrong this time, it’s your heart making you all nervous and jittery turning you into a fool.

 

All of a sudden you feel strong arms lifting you up as you unconsciously drape one arm over his neck.  Being this close to him you take in his scent and drown in it as you feel the warmth his body gives off.  There was an awkward silence between you as he carries you in his arms.  And you try to break off that ice by saying, “You can let me down now.  I’m kinda heavy.”  All the while thinking, “I hope you carry me off to class and back to my house later in the day.

 

“You’re not that heavy.” he said.  “You should always carry a flashlight with you.”

 

“Huh?” you asked as you can’t find the connection between your weight and a flashlight.

 

”When you lose your contacts it’s easier to find it with a flashlight, even with blurry vision, you can spot the flashes it makes.” Taecyeon said.

 

“How would you know?” you ask.

 

“I’m a bat too.” he said with a smile.

 

“Really?” you said surprised.

 

“Yup, I sometimes wear glasses too.  Their much comfortable than my contacts.” he said as he sets you down carefully in front of your locker.

 

“Thanks.” you said as you try to open your locker.  “I never figured you for a glasses type of guy.”

 

“Well, I am.” he said as he leans on the locker beside yours crossing his arms over his chest.  “I love the smell of your hair by the way.”

 

“It’s just shampoo.” you shyly said as you rummage into your locker.

 

“Found it!” you said as you open the case and put your dark rimmed glasses on to face him.

 

You saw his face and confirmed that he is indeed Taecyeon, you blushed at the thought of spending that much time with your ideal guy as you avoid his eyes and closed your locker door.

 

“You look cute with glasses.” he said.  “Not that you don’t look beautiful without them.”

 

“I look like a librarian in glasses.” you said

 

“A y librarian in glasses.” he said with a sinister smile.

 

The remark made your heart thump even harder and there was no way you could hide the smile forming in mouth.

 

“Here.” he said handing you a small flashlight attached to his keychain.

 

“Thanks.” you said as you try to find the set of keys in your bag to attach it there.  Looking for it you suddenly found your spare glasses in your bag and puts it up for Taecyeon to see.  “You said you couldn’t find them here.”

 

“Ahhh…you got me.” Taecyeon said with a menacing smile.  “Well, I wanted to spend time with you.”

 

“Why am I complaining?  I enjoyed it more than he did!” you thought to yourself.

 

“Thanks again.” you said as you turned around to go to class.

 

“Hey!  Let’s go together.” Taecyeon shouted as he holds your hand again to lead the way.

 

“I can see clearly now.” you said as you point to your hand that he holds tightly in his.

 

“Yah, I know.  But my hand’s missing yours.” he said nonchalantly.

 

You give out a laugh as you decide to walk along with him.  “I’m glad my contacts got smashed.” you thought to yourself.

 

“Go out with me?” Taecyeon suddenly asked stopping you in your tracks.  “Bats go well together.” he said with a bright smile.

 

“Bats are polygamous species.” you replied looking ahead and not at his beautiful smile that would immediately ensnare your heart.

 

“Some species of bats are monogamous, like the Malaysian fruit bats.” he said.

 

“Are you Malaysian?” you ask looking at him.

 

“Nope.  But I’m very much monogamous.” Taecyeon said with confidence.

 

You smile widely at him not giving him an answer – at least for now and you continue to walk to your class still hand in hand and both carrying a bright smile.