The Beginning

Loving You [HIATUS]

ljh_2.jpg

 

Ji Young's POV: 

   "I can't believe we were late on our last day," I grumble, pouting. We were heading to the ramyun shop nearby to eat; school had just finished and tomorrow would be our first day of school break. "Why did you sleep so long anyway? Umma-nim was ready to blow her top when she saw that you were making the food go cold." 

   "I was practicing the guitar," he said, stuffing his hands into his pockets. 

   Jonghyun had started learning the guitar only about five or six months ago, and he was already a genius. Of course, I would never admit it to him, but it was true nonetheless. I eyed the guitar case he had wrapped around his back. It was ancient, but it was okay. I'd bought it for him at a garage sale ever since he told me that he'd begun to have an interest in guitar playing, after he saw Eric Clapton play. 

  He'd also studied piano and singing. Jonghyun's voice is amazing; at times, it makes me want to cry. If I had to choose between the most famous singer in the world and Jonghyun, I would choose Jonghyun in an instant. 

  But of course, I would never tell him that. 

   I let out an exasperated breath. "Until when? Umma-nim must have had a fit if you stayed up late making noise. And weren't you already tired from Judo practice?" 

  He sighed and made a tired shooing motion with his hand, like he was waving my words away.

   Glaring at him, I crossed my arms and was just about to let out another remark when he pointed a finger at me.

   "What?" I asked.

   He moved his finger towards the ramyun shop. "We're here."

   I blinked. "Oh." 

   As we moved towards the shop, I shot out my hand and stopped him. 

   "Wae?" he asked. "I'm hungry." 

   I shot a look at him. "But did you remember to bring any money?" 

   He looked surprised. "I thought you were paying," he said. 

   "I paid last time!" I shot back. "I reminded you to bring money like a million times yesterday!" 

   He gave me a sheepish smile. "Sorry?" 

   I groaned. "Whatever. Should we just go home then?" 

   His expression turned wondering, and then he gave me a mischievous smile. 

   "No," he said. "How about we earn our money?" 

   I raised my eyebrows. "And how do you suggest we do that?" 

   He grinned and a thumb towards the guitar on his back. 

 

Jonghyun's POV: 

  Ji Young looks nervous. I know that she shouldn't be, because she's an amazing singer, and she's sang in front of me hundreds of times. But if she's singing in front of anybody else, she seems to clam up like a ... I dunno, a clam. 

  "Don't be nervous," I reassure her. "Remember, we made this song together and practiced it more times than we both can count. Just try not to barf up anything and I think we'll do fine." 

  "For some reason," she spits at me, "I don't find that really comforting." 

  We've set up a few paces away from the ramyun shop, where we noticed a lot of people passing by. I've set up a secluded, obvious spot where I lay my guitar case down for any generous givers. We're about to sing a song that we made together about a month after she'd bought me my guitar.

   I've always been grateful for the guitar that she'd given me. Ji Young doesn't have much money, because her mother took off shortly after she was born and her father is rarely home, and it's not because of work. The only money she really has is the cash she makes from her part-time job, and it's not much, which is why I was really touched when she presented me with the guitar. It's also the reason why Ji Young's almost always at my house, and why she calls my umma "Umma-nim". Appa and my two Noonims like her too. 

  "I'm starting," I say, strumming a few chords as a check. 

  "Wai -" She protests, but she's too late, because I'm already beginning to play. 

   About three people stop and look at the two of us, waiting. 

  Please don't freeze up, please don't freeze up, please don't ...

  I erase the memories, I erase them with tears, 
   I cannot keep you inside me " 

  I grin. 

   I knew that she could do it. I watch as more and more people come to watch us, and more and more money is thrown into my guitar case. I start to sing along with her eventually, and our voices blend together perfectly.

   Singing with Ji Young actually feels like a bit of an honour to me. I think her voice is really beautiful. If I had to choose between the most famous singer in the world and Ji Young, I would always pick Ji Young. I think her voice is really beautiful. 

   But of course,  I would never tell her that.  

   The song ends and the audience's applause envelopes us. Ji Young pulls me up and we bow together, and thank the crowd for their generosity. When they all start to depart, we begin to count our money. 

   "Waa ~" Ji Young coos. "With this, we could buy fifty bowls of ramyun!" 

   "Forget that, we could buy you that acrylic paint and canvases you wanted so badly!" I proclaim. 

   Ji Young's face lights up, and she opens to say something, until a man's voice stops us. 

   "Excuse me," he says. The man is wearing a long strait jacket and large sunglasses pushed up on the top of his head. He has a very defined Seoul accent. I wonder why this type of man would come to visit Busan, I think. 

  "Yeh, um, Ahjusshi?" Ji Young says, trying out a horrible Seoul accent. 

  "Ah, don't worry, you can speak in dialect," he says, chuckling. "Actually, I'm a talent scouter from FNC Entertainment." He whipped out a card and handed it to me. 

   Both Ji Young and I let our jaws drop as we assessed the card in front of us. 

  "You - you're a talent scout?!" Ji Young exclaimed. "Wha - what are you doing here?" 

  He smiles at us. "I was originally here to scout Jung Yonghwa, but you've seemed to tweak my interest as well. Might we have a chat, together?" 

  It's not a surprise that Jung Yonghwa was to be originally scouted; he's well known in Busan as "The Handsome Boy". But to scout us?! It's a dream come true, literally! Ji Young had been dreaming of becoming a singer for her entire life, and I'd gained a small bit of interest in having that sort of career as well. 

  "Yes! Yes, of course we can!" I say, looking over at Ji Young's ecstatic expression. She was practically glowing. 

  The talent scout's face fell. "Um, well, I was kind of talking about..." 

  "What?" I asked. 

   He narrowed his eyes at me. "I was just talking about you, young man." 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Thank you for reading the first chapter~~^^ Please leave any comments below, and subscribe if you can !! (>_<)
                                                                                                                                           ~xoLeeJonghyunxo