In My Mind Is Where We Meet

In My Mind Is Where We Meet

 

Kyungsoo wakes up to the feeling of arms wrapped around his waist and a warm body pressed on his back. He scrunches his nose as someone breathes at the back of his neck. Kyungsoo could only think of one person who has the guts to do this as he rolls around the bed.

 “What do you want Jongin?”

“I found something on the internet,” Jongin says, voice light with excitement. Kyungsoo groans and pushes his face on Jongin’s chest. “It’s a quote and I think it really suits me, you know? Do you want to hear it?”

Kyungsoo grunts and Jongin takes that as an affirmation. He grins and presses a light peck on Kyungsoo’s head.

“The quote says, a friendly look, a kindly smile, one good act, and life's worthwhile.” Jongin smiles into the darkness and tightens his hold on Kyungsoo. “I read it on the internet and I really liked it.”

Kyungsoo playfully nips the skin on Jongin’s neck, making the younger man squirm. “I like it.”

Jongin chuckles. “Let’s go to the café later, okay? I think I’m in the mood for macchiato.”

“You’re always in the mood for macchiato.” Kyungsoo snickers then taps Jongin on the . “Get off me. I need to make breakfast.”

Jongin jumps off the bed then makes a salute to Kyungsoo, the older doesn’t see it though because he’s too busy untangling the blankets from his feet. “Aye, aye captain!”

Jongin runs out of the room and slams the door behind him, the loud sound making Kyungsoo wince and curse under his breath.

“Stupid kid.”

 

~o~

 

“Have you finished packing?” Chanyeol asks as he opens the door to Kyungsoo’s room.

“Almost,” Kyungsoo answers.  He places the last of his books inside the box, closes the flaps and then tapes it. Chanyeol carries it for him. They walk out of the room and through the hallways. Kyungsoo pauses mid step as they get in the living room. Chanyeol stops walking too and glances back at him.

“What’s wrong?” Chanyeol steps closer to Kyungsoo and notices him staring at the table in the middle of the room, a white cloth blanketing it. “The furniture will be taken by the moving company since they can’t all fit inside my van.” Chanyeol chuckles. “Come on, we need to go.”

Kyungsoo doesn’t tell Chanyeol that he didn’t bring any of the pictures with him.

 

~o~

 

Kyungsoo drops a plate when Baekyun’s message registers to his brain.

‘Jongin’s at the hospital. Car accident. Come quick.’

Kyungsoo rips the apron off his body, grabs his wallet and runs. He mutters a curse under his breath when his leg bumps into the table in their living room. A picture frame falls to the ground but Kyungsoo doesn’t stop.

A huge crack forms on the glass on top of the photo of Jongin’s smile.

Kyungsoo arrives  at the hospital twenty minutes later, his feet leading him straight to the operating room. He finds Baekhyun and he runs up to him. Baekhyun sees him and automatically wraps his arms around him.

“He and Chanyeol got into an accident.” Baekhyun’s voice is thick. “Chanyeol’s still unconscious but the doctors saying that he’ll be fine. They’re operating on Jongin right now.”

Kyungsoo bites his lips and unwraps Baekhyun’s arms around his neck. He presses his back on the wall. Kyungsoo presses the heel of his palms on his eyes as he slumps to the floor. The red light informing them about the operation is still lit up and he can’t help but feel a sense of dread looming in the air. Baekhyun sits beside him, saying nothing. They both know no words could comfort Kyungsoo at the moment.

The room to the operating room opens and they both scramble to their feet. Kyungsoo looks up to the doctor with wide eyes. The question he wants to say lingers at the tip of his tongue but no words comes out. The doctor looks back to Kyungsoo and shakes his head.

Kyungsoo thinks he hears someone screaming. It is late when Kyungsoo realizes that the screams are coming from him. Baekhyun grabs his arms while a nurse sedates him, all the while Kyungsoo wishes they could do something about the pain in his heart too.

 

~o~

 

Kyungsoo stares at the cup of macchiato on the table. He places the palm of his hands on the sides of the cup. The warmth of the drink succeeds in providing warmth for his cold hands, but the same could not be said for his heart. The coffee shop is buzzing with the energy of its customers, their laughter ringing in Kyungsoo’s ear. He used to love watching people laugh, to see how it lights up a person’s face.

Kyungsoo remembers how much he loves watching how a simple smile could light up Jongin’s face.

From inside his pocket, Kyungsoo feels the vibration of his phone because of an incoming call. He pulls the device out to see who the caller is. He sighs as he sees Chanyeol’s name on the screen, his breath creating a fog in the air. Kyungsoo ignores the call as he place the phone on table, face down. The vibration of the phone stops after a while.

Kyungsoo notices that his cup of macchiato has lost its warmth.

He stares at the cup blankly, a lone tear flows down his right cheek. He blinks once, then twice. A sound of a soft chuckle startles him and Kyungsoo looks up. A hand reaches out and wipes the tear from Kyungsoo’s face. He closes his eyes as he soaks up the warmth it brings to his skin. The hand doesn’t move away and for that Kyungsoo is thankful. He imagines him smiling at him now. His cheeks pressed up, revealing straight white teeth behind pink lips. The smile reaches his eyes, lighting them up, the corners crinkling as his smile widens. Kyungsoo hates to admit how much he misses that smile.

Kyungsoo doesn’t open his eyes but he can feel him moving closer to his face. The scent of sunflowers embraces him and Kyungsoo bites his lips to keep himself from breaking into a sob. The hand gently caresses his face.

“Why did you leave?”

“I’m sorry.”

“I don’t know what to do anymore.”

“Please don’t cry.”

“I can’t do this.”

“Be strong.”

Kyungsoo takes a deep breath as he nods.

The warm feeling on his skin disappears and Kyungsoo opens his eyes. The cup of macchiato is cold, his phone is vibrating again, and the space in front of him is empty. Kyungsoo takes his phone, taps the green button and places the device beside his ears. Chanyeol’s loud voice booms through the speaker. Kyungsoo listens until his friend is done with his rant before he answers.

“Yeah,” Kyungsoo breathes. “I’m sorry for making you worried.”

“Baek already prepared your suit. It’s on top of your bed.” Chanyeol’s static voice drifts through Kyungsoo’s ears. “You’ll be there, right? He would like that, you know?”

“Yeah.” Kyungsoo touches the side of his face. “I know.”

Later that afternoon Kyungsoo stands under the snow, the white substance piling on his shoulder. Their other friends have left some time ago, Chanyeol and Baekhyun decides to wait inside the car but Kyungsoo remains gazing at the marble stone and the words engraved on it. The corners of his mouth lift as he reads the quote under the dates and Jongin’s name.

A friendly look, a kindly smile, one good act, and life's worthwhile.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

A/N: time frames are alternating in this story. so it'll be like past-present-past-present.