Day 18

Gone Missing

Day 18

 

> Taehyung <

 

I've received Mio's text message saying she was alright the next morning of her staying over at that place. And at that same day, late in the evening, a call came in the office. Checking it on our server we saw that it was a private number. I was the first to answer.

Hello? Who is this?”

 

A-ah yes, hello? Is this...is this the SIU?”a timid voice – a man's – came through.

 

Yes. Did you get contacted by the police?”

 

No, someone gave me this contact number to call. It involves a man name K-Kim Sunggyu.” I looked over at Jungkook, whom was able to put the conversation on speaker in front of all the office. Namjoon grabbed his notebook and pen and began to write down the person's information down.

 

It would be best if we met up in person. We'll get the police to arrive there straight away.”

 

No!” they said. “no, they would know that I called them. I'll give you directions where we can meet up instead.” once we got it noted I couldn't help but ask one more thing before the person hung up.

 

How do we know that isn't some kind of joke?” I questioned. It was silent over the line for a while, until he said:

 

The person who gave me this number...is someone name Mio Aoshi.”

 

>>>>><<<<<

 

With the help of the PIU we located him down at a local parking lot alone, and not expecting him to be part of a gang as well. As he sat alone in the interrogation room behind the glass Hina commented on his appearance already.

"This guy doesn't seem to be so trusting," she sighed. "maybe he's tricking us."

 

"I don't think so." Namjoon replied. "he said so himself Mio got in contact with him, and out of the entire world there is only one Mio that we know."

 

I remained quiet, still staring. He looked nervous; for he couldn't hold his Styrofoam cup properly without shaking. Hina was about to go in when I stopped her saying, "I'll do it instead."

 

I walked in, eyeing him carefully. He never met my eyes when I sat down, so I asked lightly if he wanted any more water to drink. Ultimately he shook his head, and I went straight to the questions.

 

"How do you know Kim Sunggyu?"

 

"He came to me one day and offered to give me a profit in part of taking over our markets with selling his drugs. We accepted it but I then realized that he took privilege over us, taking our weapons and our property.

 

"I wanted to rebel and go against him, so I took most of his money and took off with the rest of my gang. They have been tracking me down for some time now, until that girl found me and said that she has been working undercover to arrest him herself."

 

Mio found him. "How did you manage to escape from their headquarters then?"

 

"She was able to convince him in letting me go if I returned my wage." he scoffed. "but also thanks to her I'm the only one in my gang."

 

"What happened to them?" I asked.

 

"The hell would I know. Probably dead." he muttered. I didn't have nay other questions to ask, so I let the PIU take them in for further investigation. Going back to the SIU office I asked if there's any progress with the GPS location. I saw the red dot blinking, but still in the same place; meaning it must be Sunggyu's headquarters.

 

In relief I then went outside the office to take take a breath of fresh air, and I looked down at my phone. Hovering over the number I pondered for a little about whether or not I should call. Taking a deep breath I swiped the green icon and brought the mobile close to my ear.

Taehyung.” Mio answered by the third ring.

 

Hey.” I say. “Um, I took care of the guy you sent. Good job finding a lead for us.”

 

Thanks.” she replied. There was silence, before she said, “I've gotten more details about Sunggyu's manufacturing company, so if you want maybe we can meet up later this week?”

 

Sounds good to me.” before we hung up she called my name again.

 

I'm sorry...for not being able to call you back. They've been watching almost my every move, and I'm confined in their hideout most of the time. I really am sorry, Taehyung. You must have been worried.”

 

She was right, of course. I was worried about her for almost this whole day. But I'm glad that just being to hear her now, gave me some relief. “As long as you're still safe... that's all that matters to me.” that word for a second got caught in my throat: safe. It felt strange to say considering the current situation. Although it could be meant for 'she's still alive', I had a different meaning for it.

 

Hanging up I sat down on a bench and stared at the sky, trying to collect my thoughts. Even if it was just for one day, I think I can manage for a couple of days without seeing her. I mean, I'm just so used to seeing her everyday that it grew onto me.

 

Sure, I see her sister and I see the other members of the SIU too, so I'm not entirely alone. But still...it feels weird without having Mio beside me. I can imagine her right now, probably giving me this weird look and saying that if I ever went drinking out again.

 

I imagine her laughing that sweet voice of hers, playfully punching me on the arm.

 

I imagine her giving me a kiss on the lips, one that left a taste of something as sweet and spiced like cinnamon.

 

I imagine her doing all those three, and in the end she would just wrap her arms around me and say 'Let's call it a day.'

 

It was those little things I truly miss the most when I'm with her.

 

I don't know if I'll be able to relive those memories again.