FIRE & GASOLINE

KALEIDOSCOPE

 

 

Sometimes it is impossible to foresee the consequences that certain acts will have. Especially when you let yourself be carried away by your feelings and the passion of the moment.

It was one more day that we spent together doing nothing interesting, other than watching movies and listening to some music. I remember that I had been working on a song for a couple of days, and when that's the case I'm very reserved in production, since I don't like to hear anything before it's really ready.

 

"What are you working on lately?"

“Just a song that has been on my mind for a while”

"Can I hear it?"

"It's not ready yet, and you know I don't like to expose my songs before I have them ready"

"Aww, come on. Let me hear it. I can give you my point of view."

"Oh yeah? And since when are you an expert in music composition?”

“Since I took classes with you. Or do you think you are the only one who studied in the company?”

"I still can't achieve what I want to convey in the song, wait a few more days and I'll let you listen to it"

“You are very perfectionist, you know”

"Could be. I just like things to be right."

“That is called being a perfectionist”

“Meh. I guess it's the same as you when you're recording a series. You always say it could have been better."

 

Krystal just shrugs and goes to the kitchen for more snacks I guess. While she comes back I watch a video on YouTube and I remember the dream I had last night, precisely with Krystal.

As she sits next to me, with a bowl full of popcorn, she asks me genuinely interested.

 

“What are you thinking about, Liu? You always get lost in your thoughts."

"Nothing special. I was just trying to remember a dream I had last night."

"About what?"

"That's what I’m trying to remember. I think you were there"

“Did we do something interesting?”

"I do not remember. I only know that you were there and surely we were spending time the same as now"

“Pffff. How lame Liu. You might dream that we are spies or something like that."

“It's not like I can control what I dream about, Krystal. If that were the case, believe me, I would have much more interesting dreams than nightmares."

"TRUE. Lately it seems like you haven't had that many"

“Mhm. It seems that your presence calmed my demons. Maybe they are in love with you too."

"Too?"

 

When I hear Krystal ask me that, it dawns on me what I said. I have to control that impulse to say everything I think.

 

"Amber, what do you mean with 'TOO'?"

"… Nothing. I didn't mean anything in particular. Don't overanalyze everything I say, okay. I didn't mean anything between the lines."

"Amber..."

"Yeah?"

 

When I look up I see Krystal coming closer. When I realize what's happening, Krystal places a soft, gentle kiss on my lips. Among my surprise and happiness I whisper almost inaudibly, in a kind of trance.

 

“This is supposed to be something platonic… nothing more”

"Then stop me"

 

Without thinking about anything else, I turned off my mind and I simply let myself be carried away by the warmth and softness of her lips, losing myself in a tender and gentle kiss, which gradually increased in intensity until I surrounded her with my arms in a vain effort not to let her go. Obviously at this point neither of them was able, or made the slightest effort to stop what was happening.

In a minute I had to break her kiss to get some air, I only managed to look at her for a second, when I felt her lips chasing mine again, as if being able to breathe depended on that.

I have never felt as happy and terrified as at that moment. It was happening. Krystal and I were kissing like our lives depended on it.

Again in a second of lucidity, I took her face in my hands and gently broke the kiss. I wasn't able to say anything, I just stared into her eyes, unable to think of anything other than her lips.

 

"I think I'd better go"

 

Finally it was she who broke the spell and the silence with something that seemed more like a sad whisper than an excuse to leave, bringing me back to reality. I could only nod slowly without being able to get a word out.

Seeing her take her things to leave, I ran to the door, scared that we would go through a strange situation again.

 

“Krystal. Wait. Are we Okay? I mean, you're going to keep talking to me and coming over after this, right?"

 

Krystal puts one of her hands on my cheek and with a tender smile, she meets my eyes and nods.

 

"Of course. I just remembered that Jess is going home today, and I need to talk to her about something important. Don't think you're going to get rid of me so easily."

"Don't you want me to take you this time?"

"Thanks, but no. I need to practice my driving if I really want to ride alone."

"I understand. Just promise me that I'll see you again. I don't want to lose you just because of an outburst"

"An outburst?"

“You know what I mean… Krystal, you are the most important thing I have right now, even more important than music”

"I promise I'll call you when I'm done talking to my sister, okay?"

"Alright. I will be waiting for your call"

 

And that's how I saw her leave feeling like I was floating and a thousand butterflies were practically growling in my stomach. I sat on the balcony unable to stop smiling. I don't really understand what's going on, but what the hell does it matter when you feel like you're floating on a cloud and your lips taste like strawberry because of Krystal's lipstick.