Confession

Confession

Solar sat by the windowsill, watching the few stars that shone in the sky. The house was quiet and dark today. Wheein and Hwasa were back home in Jeonju for the weekend, and Moonbyul had a sleepover somewhere with her friend. Thinking of Moonbyul, Solar looked up. The pale little circle glowed against the cloudy night, and it fixed its light at the tips of her toes. Sighing, Solar grabbed her phone from a table, plugging in earphones before turning on the shuffle function on her music list. The first song reflected her thoughts as she huddled in the darkness alone. And even though she didn’t realise it, she started to sing aloud.

 

“What should be done

What should I do

I dare, I dare to love her

To live quietly and pretending to have forgotten

That is a life that is just like death.”

 

She thought of the woman she loved with the long blondish hair. She thought of the way those eyes would squint and nose muscles crinkle when they were joking around and laughing. To live four years together and hiding her feelings was not what Solar had envisioned when she thought of falling in love. 

 

“The criticism of the world and the portrayal of me as a madman

I know of it all

I am afraid of it all but

I love you.”

 

Solar knew. She knew of Korean’s society standards, how liking someone of the same was just not right. She knew how discriminating the world could be, and she feared the people that she treasured hating her if they knew about… about her feelings. But how was she supposed to not care, to ignore the butterflies in her stomach whenever she could even glance at… her?

 

“Where are you?

Can you really hear me?

Then do you know of my poor, bleeding heart?”

 

Solar knew that they weren’t actually that far away from each other. They were both still in Seoul, and she knew that if she really wanted to, she could just drive to wherever she needed to be. What she wasn’t sure of was whether the girl could hear her heart, and the way it raced against her chest whenever they did even something simple like holding hands.

 

“Please forgive me

If you were to punish, I will gladly accept it…”

 

And as if by magic, a silent wish, an unspoken agreement between the sun and the moon above, a whisper tickled her ear, finishing the song.

 

“…But her, please allow me to have just this one person.”

 

Solar’s eyes widened. Whipping her head around, her lips were met by another pair, warm and soft, and they pressed against each other gently before separating. Standing in front of her was Moonbyul, back bent so that they could see each other eye to eye.

 

“Solar…” Moonbyul breathed, a hushed sound in still air. “Kim Yong Sun, I love you.” Despite the blackness of the room, Solar could see the red tint on Moonbyul’s cheeks. And to Solar, the six words quietly said, sounded like an angel’s choir, a unique piece of music that could only be sung by one person, and was only meant for one person.

 

“Moon Byul Yi,” Solar murmured, lips curved upwards. “I love you too.” And she pulled her in for another kiss.