Chapter 1

The Broken Ones

*****

It’s 5 AM in the morning. l was walking slowly towards the bridge. When I got there, I stood at the bridge silently and looked into the sky. But then when the sun started to rise slowly; my eyes were filled with tears falling endlessly. My body was shaking; my weakened legs can no longer support my body. I was broken down, both mentally and physically.

 

*Flashback a year ago*

We were in a car parking near the bridge.

 

“Why are we here, Danny?” I asked.

 

“Just wait and see, Bom. “ he told me with a subtle smile. 

 

He got off from the car, standing in front of the car and telling me to get off from the car with his hand gestures. Confused with his behavior, I decided to just follow him.

 

“It’s cold out here. Won’t you tell me what are we doing here? For God sake, it’s 5 AM in the morning, Danny!” I blurted angrily.

He smiled, “Patience is a virtue, sweetie.”

 

Ah, who can be angry with a person who has a great smile like him? It’s not fair. I tried to hold my smile by pouting in a cute way. I ran to him. “I’m freezing, and you won’t even tell me what we are doing in here.”

 

I tried to keep my body warm by rubbing my body with my hands. Then, he put his right arm on my shoulder pulling my body towards him. He hugged me and he’s trying to make warm.

 

“Feeling better?” he asked.

 

“Hmm…” I nod.

 

 We were walking side by side towards the bridge.

 

When we got there I asked him again, “What are we...”

 

“Sshh… “He cut my question. “Can’t you just relax, Bom? Try to seize this moment, will you?” He continued.

 

“But…”

 

“No but.” He assured me. Then, the sky is slowly changing its color. Danny hugged me from the back and he whispered to my ear, “See? Isn’t it beautiful?”

 

I nodded with agreement. He held me tightly. We were standing there silently, enjoying every moment of the sunrise.

 

“You know, Bom?” He suddenly spoke. “The sunrise represents a brand new day. No matter how long the dark night is, there will be a bright day follows. It’s the symbol of a hope!” he added.

 

I turned to face him, “Mr. Im, what are you talking about? Are you sleep talking right now? Wake up, please!”  I jokingly shook his body and laughing. “How dare you to sleep, when you already dragged me here 5 AM in the morning!” I pretended to be mad.

 

He chuckled and he pinched my cheeks lightly. He then stood beside me put his elbow in the bridge and looked at the sky.

 

“The reason why I brought you here is that I want to share this beautiful view with you. You looked so depressed lately. I want you to see that after the darkest night, there will be a bright day. I want to give you hope. Heck, I want to be your hope forever.” He looked at me deeply.

 

“Are you proposing to me now?” I asked him just to .

 

His face suddenly changed, I burst into laughter. He looked funny when he’s serious.

 

“Oh, my Danny boy…” I shook my head while patted his soft hair. He stayed still.

 

“Hmm, so you’re saying that you’re going to be my hope?” I threw him another question trying to change the subject.

 

He nodded then he pulled me close to him and held me.

 

“Do you know how long is forever? I asked him again.

 

“I don’t know how long it is, but I promise I’ll always be there for you, I’ll be your hope forever!” he shouted to the sky loudly.

 

I smiled. I felt so happy inside.

 

He spun me to face him. His hands on my cheeks and say, “Everything is going to be alright, Bom.”

 

Then he kissed me gently on my lips. We shared a look and bumped each other’s forehead lightly. We laughed. He kissed my forehead and hugged me. While he hugged me he whispered to me again, “Everything is going to be alright, Bom. I promise”. (This last words echoing)

 

*end of flashback*

 

“Liar…Danny, you are a liar!” I sobbed. 

 

"You've promised me forever!” 

 

“You’ve promised me…”

 

*****