final.

Winter Blues
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

Exactly seven years ago from now, in this exact same park, in the exact time of the day, was the day Bae Joohyun got her first ever heart break.

 

She was still eighteen back then, and her lover was 16, making it look like it was some petty break up that an innocent girl would cry about for months and get over with, but up until now, Irene seems to never recover. 

 

 

It wasn't really such a grand, scandalous, intriguing Korean drama scenario break-up.

 

She remembered, 18th of December seven years ago, wearing her favourite grey sweatshirt that matched her pink one, walking the very same lane in this park with both their hand intertwined with one another. Irene's long brown hair was freely flowing down to her shoulders, whereas her black hair was tied into a ponytail.

 

It was a cold winter afternoon when her girlfriend of two years (the childhood friend she grew up with, and the girl she literally watched over), Kang Seulgi, asked her to meet up with her to talk about 'things'.

 

 

 

Irene knew in an instant what it would be about.

 

She saw it coming, the way Seulgi would often apologize to her for no particular reason once a day.

 

She knew it when her mother would start calling her in the middle of their dates, which eventually became undercover rendezvous to be excused and call it a day for the both of them. 

 

 

She knew it when a guy started fetching her from school and when the same guy would secretly meet up with her right before Seulgi meets up with Irene during lunch breaks. 

 

 

 

The break up started with a simple sorry, and for a few minutes, no one bothered to break the dead air between them, nor is anyone letting go of the other hand.

 

"Why?" Irene asked, although she knew.

 

She knew right from the start the main reason her girlfriend apologized, and what the 'things' were that Seulgi wanted to discuss with her. Although she wouldn't want to know, and just run away that time to leaving things unbroken, she wanted to formally end things between them without bad blood or anything.

 

"You know my eomma..." She timidly responded, looking down to her shoes. "She wants me to marry someone who can pay appa's debts..."

 

"You know I can do that," Irene said, feign innocence masking her face. "Yah, Kang Seulgi, are you asking my approval of our dream marraige?" She laughed, hoping Seulgi would laugh along to lighten up the mood. It's just that--

 

"Joohyun. I'm going to get married. Eomma arranged it for me. I'm sorry but..." She sighed, but it felt like all the hope left inside of her came along her breath. "It wouldn't be with you. And it will be very different with what the both of us planned for ourselves. I-I'm sorry. I didn't want to leave you but... appa is-- please understand that I don't like this but--"

 

"I understand, it's definitely okay, Seulgi." Irene could only grin. Brightly. Widely. She showed Seulgi that facade that she's going to be okay with it. And right before her girlfriend, or ex-girlfriend for that matter, had the chance to chase after her, Irene ran away from her and disappeared into the crowd and made sure she never sees Kang Seulgi again. 

 

 

 

Irene decided to never show up at school ever again, which eventually made the school drop her out, forcing her parents (who were in Daegu and completely clueless about her relationship with Seulgi) to transfer her in another university. True, it was because of the break up (and she never denies it to her friends for that matter), but it was just too much for her mental health to understand and carry on.

 

What would she do if she sees Seulgi in the corridors?

 

What would she feel if she sees that guy Kim Jongin flirting with her first and only love of her life?

 

Most importantly, where will she be getting all that willpower to stop herself from punching or slapping or pulling someone's hair when she hears issues about the two, or when she sees the damned fiance feeding her ex-girlfriend all of her favourite food?

 

Like hell would she allow that! She knew deep within herself that she can take care of Seulgi better. She knew she could make the girl smile better. She knew Seulgi loved her back. It's something considered as an advantage between the two.

 

The only difference was, Jongin, or whom they prefer to call as Kai, has money, power and glory, and that leaves Irene on the ground.

 

 

 

 

Sometimes, Irene would feel depressed about feeling depressed, if that even makes sense.

 

She often thinks of how Seulgi could possibly be of the moment, or if Seulgi was being treated right, or if Seulgi even thinks about her anymore. And when she convinces herself that Seulgi probably have had moved on, Irene would normally cry and numb herself on her bed, hugging the stuffed bear she had as Seulgi's last birthday gift to her, imagining it was the person herself.

 

But as the months go by in the time span of the first few years without Se

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter