Chapter 11

The Stranger

“Junho-ya, can I come in?” Park Minjung knocked her son’s bedroom door and Junho immediately open the door for her.

“Is there something wrong ommoni?”

“Nothing, I just want to see you.” She gently wrapped her arms around Junho and buried her face on his chest. She felt his arms returning the hug and somehow her heart constricted and she sobbed.

Junho heard her mother trying to stifle her sob and worriedly asked his mother. “Ommoni, why are you crying?”

“I’m just so glad I have you.” Park Minjung released her hug and framed Junho’s face with her hands. She gently caressed his cheeks while looking straight into her son’s eyes. “Junho-ya, I can feel you’re sad right now but why don’t you want to tell me about your sadness. Remember when you were a child, you always report everything to me.”

Junho smiled bitterly at his mother. “I’m not a child anymore ommoni. My problem now is not the same like when I’m a child.”

“Eyy if I can settle your problem back then, of course I can settle your problem now. So how about you bring your girlfriend to our house this weekend and have dinner with us.”

Junho was clearly surprised. “Ommoni…”

“And don’t forget to bring the little boy too. Ahh it’s been a while since I’m playing with a small child.” She beamed happily.

“But, what about aboji? He didn’t like them.”

 “Don’t worry about him, I already talk to him and ‘make’ him agree to my request.” She winked at her son to give him an assurance.

Junho immediately hugged his mother tightly. “Thank you omma, thank you…”

Park Minjung gently caressed the back of his neck. “Promise me Junho-ya, don’t keep your problem by yourself. Don’t forget that you still have me. I’ll try my best to help you because I’m your mother. Let me do my job until my last breath my son.”

“I promise…”

.

The life of the Kim’s was back to usual. Soeun continued her daily life with her normal routine. She was not surprised when she lost any contact with Junho because after what had happen, she understand why Junho would leave her. She could even imagine that Junho didn’t give much fight to listen to his parents.

But her son won’t easily forget his ‘appa’. He already knew how to talk and questioning everything. Almost 90% coming out from his mouth would be a question. What is that? Why Roy red? Why Youngie’s hair curly? Where’s appa? Why appa not coming?

She knew his son at the age full of curiosity so she tried her best to give the most logical answer. When he asked about his appa, she would give the same answer that his appa had to go to work far away. Someday he would forget about him. Just like how he forgot about his favourite Pororo’s underwear after he got his Roy’s underwear.

And for her, she didn’t need anybody except her son… and she kept chanting the same words over and over again.

“Momma…” Junwoo pulled Soeun’s skirt when they got off from the elevator and raised both of his arms as a request for his mother to carry him.       

Soeun smiled at him and carried him in her arms. He automatically wrapped his arms around her neck and rested his head on her shoulder. He must be very tired playing with his friends at the day care centre because usually he would run towards their house as soon as the elevator door opened.

Soeun continue to walk along the corridor of her apartment towards their house. A few metres before she reach the house, she saw someone leaning on her door. Even from a far she could easily recognised the man.

She wouldn’t allow herself to be happy when she saw him because it meant that she was sad without him. She kept saying she didn’t need him and she wanted to believe it because it was the only shield to protect her heart from broken into a million pieces.  

Junho could see them too and he really wanted to run to them but he gathered all his will to stay rooted in front of their door. He wanted her to come to him and she did.

“Annyeong.” Junho greeted them with his deep voice while smiling happily.

Junwoo immediately lifted his head from his mother’s shoulder and turned around when he heard the familiar voice. “Appa!” He raised his arms towards Junho because he wanted to go to him.

Junho didn’t waste any time and lifted him away from Soeun. He hugged him tightly and inhaled his smell deeply. “I miss you so much Juni.”

Soeun watched the reunion and her eyes began to moisture uncontrollably. She wanted to snatch away her son from him but she didn’t have a heart to do it because Junho was holding on to him for dear life. One thing she wouldn’t question was Junho’s love towards her son. She knew his love for him was genuine and sincere.

She opened the door and went straight inside the house. She left the door open as a silent approval for him to come in.

Junho felt relief that she didn’t kick him out and he followed her with Junwoo in his arms.

With only one song sang by Junho, Junwoo easily fall asleep while hugging Po. He put him on his bed and got out from the room to find Soeun. He saw her in the kitchen, stirring something on the pot. He slowly approaching her and hugged her from behind.

Soeun was startled by his action and tried to wriggle out from the embrace but he tightened his hold around her waist. “What are you doing?” She asked him.

Junho rested his chin on the crook of her neck. “I miss you…”

“We can’t be together Junho-ya.”

“Why?”

“It’s better this way. Let me and Junwoo going back to our normal life. Someday Junwoo will forget about you and everything will be okay.”

Junho took a moment to digest her words. He was not sure if she realised what she had said was like a blade slicing on his heart over and over again. “You mean your life will be much better without me?” His voice was low and sounded upset.

“Yes.”

“Junwoo will be a lot happier without me?”

“Yes.”

Junho closed his eyes to prevent the tears coming out from his eyes. He released his hold on her and turning her body to face him. He framed her face with both of his hand to look straight into her eyes. He noticed the tears welling up on her eyes and he knew there’s still hope for him. “Say it again.”

“What?”

“Look at me and say your life will be much better without me.” Soeun tried to look away but Junho won’t let it go easily and force her to look at him. “Say it and I will out from your life forever.”

At that moment all her pretence crumbling down and destroying the last fortress she built to protect her heart. She was vulnerable so she let out all the feeling she clogged in her heart. “Then what do you want me to say? That I miss you so much I feel like dying? That every moment of my time I saw your mirage close to me and I hope it was you although I know it’s impossible? That my heart would bleed every time Junwoo asking about you?”

Junho gently pulled the crying Soeun close to him and hugged her tightly. “All my life, I never have something for me to desire. I don’t have an ambition, so I let my parents to navigate the course of my life because I know they will do anything for my best interest. I never want something so badly until I met you and Junwoo. I already imagine my future with the both of you. I don’t want to keep on losing the persons I love. I don’t think I can handle anymore lost…”

“But your father…”

“Fight for me.” Junho begged her. “I know it’s not easy but please fight for me. I’m… not in a position to fight for our love but I will do my best to stay behind you.” Junho let out a bitter laugh while releasing her from his hug. “Ahh it sounded so wrong even to my ears. What kind of man who asked the woman he love to protect him?”

“I will.” Soeun immediately interrupted his words. “I will gather all my strength to fight for you, to have you, to make you mine. I also had enough. Enough for all the pain I had to endure for losing the one I love. I won’t let you go again, I won’t let you leave me for the rest of our life.”

Junho smile widely and felt amaze at her determination. Then he jokingly bowed down at her, “Your wish is my command Master.”

They both laugh happily and Soeun shamelessly launched herself to hug him. She didn’t know where she got her courage to say those things, maybe the thought of losing him again made her realised that Lee Junho was the VVIP in her life.

“My mother wants to meet you.” Junho whispered softly to her ear but Soeun froze at his words. He gently caressed her back to calm her. “Don’t worry, my mother will support us. Both you and me forget that there’s a woman behind every powerful man. My father seems to have all the power inside his hand but my mother is the one who hold the key to his power. And I think you should know better that a mother will do anything to make her children happy.”

“Are you sure she will like me?”

“Yes, especially when she meets Junwoo. I’m sure she can’t resist Junwoo’s charm. When she sees Junwoo, I’m sure her heart will melt at his cuteness. Beside, Junwoo looks exactly like me and my father, the loves of her life.”

Soeun finally nodded her head to agree at his request. She closed her eyes when she felt Junho’s lips on the top of her head. She savouring the warmth and love enveloping by him and somehow it gave her the strength to face the challenge ahead.

Though they have no idea what awaiting them in the future...