Escapes

Back to the Woods

 

I still remember it clearly. Cities were demolished to the ground. Fire everywhere i turned. I could hear people screaming for their loved ones to run.To get out before another bomb drops.                               I have never seen anything as crazy as the bombs. It just keeps on falling from small air crafts that were hovering about 20 meters above my head. Even the sun was bleeding red that evening. 

 

And another thing. It was deadly hot. Ducking under shades means getting killed.    Because the people controlling the small air crafts were specifically aiming for the buildings. And it made me lost. Having nowhere to run. Just aimlessly running as long as i did not have a roof above my head.                          Then they stopped. For a while. Because after that they stopped every 50 minutes.And those 10 minutes were torture.  Why? because there was no place to seek refuge. No one to help.                Thegovernment cannot fight these deadly bombs with their soldiers and advanced weapons.  So all i could do was bent down and hold my knees. Head dropping down. Eyes on the ground. Trying to focus so hard while blinking tears. 

And after the third wave of bombs, suddenly it hit me.The small wooden hut in the woods.    And i broke into a run. Knocking over people but i could not care less. All i could i picture was that hut.   That place with everything but nothing. So i ran and ran.                                                   I was running so fast i felt like i was flying. And when i stopped after a little over an hour, my knees gave out and i crashed onto the ground.         It was quiet now, i thought. I turned my body over with all the strength i had and faced the sky.                             Ah. It’s dark now. So they stop when it gets dark. With my clothes filthy with blood and dirt i fell asleep right there under a tree. 

 

I probably walked through the same route in the woods about a zillion times.                            Standing there and realizing after such a long time; i felt embarrassed.                                                                   And cold. It felt like the trees were laughing at me.                                                                  Crying tears of embarrassment i sat there feeling so damn frustrated.             That is when a chilly laugh escaped my mouth. It ringed through the woods harmoniously.                Stupid i thought. Why can’t i find the place that never let me go. 

 

I felt like i was punished for ever leaving. My hands were trembling.                           But then i had to get a grip because i did not want to see their faces in my head. It was too much pain. So i clenches my fists as hard as i can until my nails dug into my palms. And i let the pain distract me as i watched trails of blood flow out of fresh cuts over so many other faded scars.                                 This is better. So much better..

 

The next three days i survived eating wild mushrooms until i saw it. After 7 years.             It was there. Lonely and dangerous. But probably the safest place for now. And i decided to just lay down on the steps carefully. Like i might hurt it if i sat too forcefully.       I trailed my fingers over the wooden rails along the steps under layers of dried leaves. And somehow it was comforting to touch the woods that seemed to have never rot. And the leaves were warm. Probably because they were basked in the sun for i guess 7 years? And i fell asleep again. I seem to do that a lot to avoid thinking of what to do next.                                        It was just another escape. Among thousands of others.

 

I heard groans of someone who is most definitely a guy. And it was getting louder. With my brain being fuzzy for i think after 15 hours of sleep i tried opening one of my eye against the blinding sun. Right in time to see someone tall crash onto the bottom of the steps. Covered in blood.