Wish You Were Here

It Was All Worth It

"I received news that she would debut in November but I was already serving. I wanted to be there to cheer her on but I couldn't. That was the time I regretted most. She was there with the band watching our shows, sharing our music to her friends. She always tried to show us her support. It felt like I wasn't able to show her that I care for her so much," said Shaun.

"I don't regret anything in my life. That's for sure. But if I really wanted to add something in my life," said EunJ looking up. "I really wanted to see Shaun at my debut stage. I wanted him there," she said feeling a tear form in her eyes. "I wanted all of my KOXX oppas to be there. Hyunsong oppa was there pumping his fists for me. Sunbin oppa brought me my favorite cake and we ate it after my stage. Sooryun oppa smiled as I got on stage. Saron oppa hugged me after. But it wasn't the same without Shaun oppa," she continued as she started to cry.

"Most of Ji Eun's friends were there at her debut stage, cheering on her. But you could just feel that she was looking for someone else," said Tablo.

"That was one day that I will never forget," said Sunbin.


~


SBS Inkigayo was already showing and it was BAP performing last. Half of the YG staff were outside with Ji Eun waiting for the announcement of winners. The KOXX stayed in the waiting room. Hyunsong and Sooryun sat on the sofa waiting. They didn't perform on stages like this, never would they, and it felt awkward as they sat there.

"Sunbin hyung, Shaun is calling on your phone," said Sooryun as he saw his phone light up. He picked it up from the desk and stood up to the door where he was with Saron.

Sunbin took the phone and answered, putting it on speaker. The other members were all right beside him.

"Shaunnierang!" said Sunbin.

"Hyung! How are you?! I can't stay on the phone for too long," said Shaun on the other line.

"We miss you," said Hyunsong.

"I miss all of you, too. It's boring without you guys."

"Just tell us when you're free so we can all drink out together," said Sooryun.

"Sooryun hyung? Are you on speaker?"

"Yup," answered Sunbin.

"How was Ji Eun-ah's stage?"

"She was amazing. She didn't make any mistakes. Just one very good take," said Sunbin excitingly.

"And she was so beautiful," said Sooryun. "She didn't have much make up but she was beautiful."

"She's always been beautiful, hyung."

"We know that, of course. But it was a different Ji Eun we saw on stage, Shaun. She was so cool," said Saron excitingly.

"We can now say that Ji Eun is really a rapper," said Hyunsong laughing. "She owned her stage."

"We even think she'll win today's show," said Sooryun.

"Have you listened to her song already?" asked Saron.

"Yes. I have. Everyone's been telling me it's amazing. Aigoo. I wish I was there."

"We took a video of her performance, Shaun. Don't worry. We'll let you watch it," said Hyunsong.

"Thank you, hyung. Please tell her I'm rooting for her. Always."

"Why don't you tell her that?" asked Sooryun.

"I sent a text message. But I guess she hasn't seen it yet."

"She'll see that. We'll tell her. Don't worry," said Hyunsong.

"I have to go, hyung. Thank you so much. Ji Eun, fighting!"

"Fighting! Bye bye Shaunnierang!" said Hyunsong.

Everyone said bye and Sunbin ended the call. Shaun sent him a message seconds later.

"Sunbin hyung. I know how you adore Ji Eun like she was your sister. And she respects you just as much. Please pat her head like I always do. Please hug her and greet her for me. I wish I was there to do it myself. But please, hyung. Don't ever make her feel lonely. I love her so much. Thank you."

Sunbin smiled and nodded his head. "Sure," he said as if Shaun was in front of him.

Suddenly, there were screams coming from outside the waiting room. Sunbin looked out. The YG staff were approaching the room. He looked back at the screen. Ji Eun's face was flashed saying she won today's charts.

"SHE WON!" shouted Hyunsong hugging Saron. "Oh my god. I feel so proud! She won!"

Soon, staff members came in with Tablo and Dara. Lastly, Ji Eun came walking in. Hyunsong immediately hugged her and lifted her.

"Oppa!" said Ji Eun.

"CONGRATULATIONS JI EUN DONGSAENGGIE!" said Hyunsong as he put her down, hugging her one last time.

"Congratulations, Ji Eun-ah!" smiled Sooryun as he hugged her.

"You did so well. We're proud of you," said Saron as he hugged her tight.

Everyone else started to take photos with her, congratulating her. Other idols came into the room paying respect and greeting Ji Eun of her achievement. It's not always that a rookie rapper would win in a music show during their debut and this was a first for YG and Ji Eun.

It was finally time for everyone to go home. The other staff were already at the parking lot. They were supposed to eat dinner together as a congratulatory party for Ji Eun. The other KOXX members already went outside. Ji Eun has already changed clothes and was fixing her backpack when Sunbin approached her. She was checking her phone and he saw how she smiled.

"Is that Shaun?" he asked.

"Yes. He sent this earlier. He said, 'Do your best Ji Eun-ah.' Then added a smiley. He remembered, oppa," she said looking up at Sunbin.

"Of course, he will. He always remembers things that are connected to you," he said.

"Eh. Don't make me blush oppa," said Ji Eun holding onto his arm.

"Guess who called us earlier," he said.

"Where? Over the phone? Who?" she asked as she lifted her bag from the sofa.

"Kim Yoonho," answered Sunbin with a smile. Ji Eun was stunned and let her bag go looking straight at him. "He wanted to check up on you," he continued.

"Why didn't you call me? I could have talked to him," she said with wide eyes.

Sunbin shook his head lightly. "He didn't have much time. But he did tell me to do something," he said. He lifted one of his hands and put it on top of her head. Ji Eun gasped and froze. No one else patted her head from the band. Only Shaun did. "Congratulations, Ji Eun-ah. You did well," said Sunbin.

Ji Eun lifted her head and saw a smiling Sunbin. A tear formed in her left eye and released itself as she blinked. "Oppa," she managed to say.

Sunbin saw the tear glisten as it slid down her cheek. He pulled her into a hug and Ji Eun broke down, crying against his chest. He only closed his eyes and made sure he hugged her tightly, just like how Shaun usually does.

"He wanted to be here with you, you know. But at least he called. I'm sure he already knows you won. Don't you ever feel alone, Ji Eun-ah. Even though he isn't here, I know he'll always look after you from afar. Do your best until he comes back. I'll always try to be there for you as well. The whole band will be there for you," he said trying to comfort her.

Ji Eun let go of Sunbin and sniffed. "Is that why you didn't want to enlist yet? So you could be there for me?" she asked.

"Uhm.. No. Honestly, I really don't want to yet. And I still have university to attend to," he answered. He pushed her hair away from her face and behind her ears. He brought his hand up to her head again and said with a smile, "But Shaun really asked me not to enter service yet until he comes back so he knows someone's there taking care of you."

"Because he doesn't trust Saron oppa? Sooryun oppa? Hyunsong oppa?" said Ji Eun with a faint smile.

Sunbin nodded trying not to laugh. "But let's not tell them that," he joked. "Let's go and catch them at the parking. I'm starving," he continued taking her bag from the sofa.

"Thank you for the cake, by the way. You really know my favorites," said Ji Eun holding onto his arms.

"Just tell me what you like and I'll try to cook for you," he said leading her outside the room, her bag slung over his shoulder.