Goodbye..

Goodbye

It was a warm night.. as warm as how he felt inside. He knew the time had come. He did not realise it would finally be here.. it had seemed so far away before..

He stopped the car at the sidewalk in front of her building. They had driven in silence, both losing themselves in their thoughts, the knowledge on the impending farewell looming over their heads.

He turned off the engine. She knew she should unbuckle her seatbelt but somehow her hand could not move. She froze in her seat for a moment before she was able to collect herself and got out of the car. 

He watched her coming towards his side, the door to her building a few steps away. He opened his hand out for hers, holding tightly when she put her hand in his. Standing in front of each other, he stared hard at her, memorising each line, each feature on her lovely face. As he gently brushes a stray hair from her face, a single tear rolled down her cheek. 

Slowly, he pulled her close, wanting to soothe her heart, at the same time trying to control his own emotions. Her soft sobs filled his ears, and as he started to pull away she tightened her grips on his shirt, "Oppa, can you hold me for a while?". 

They stayed in each others' arms for a while, her sobs gradually slowed down and he pulled away once again to look at her. He brushed away the tears on her cheeks. "Soo young ah.." She looked up towards him. "Can I kiss you?"

She looked at him silently for a moment before giving a small nod. Slowly, he bent his head down, his lips grazing hers in a gentle kiss. He lifted his head and they stared at each others' eyes. Once again, he bent his head and kissed her one more time. Silently a tear rolled down her cheek.

She pressed her face to his shoulder and sobbed. He held her tight, as tight, as close as their bodies can be. The tears that he had been holding back started to fall one by one.

Their tears subsided but they stayed in that position, unable to let go. He turned to her ear and softly murmured. "Soo young ah..". "Mmm..?". "Saranghae..". She closed her eyes at the sound of his voice. The tears that she thought had finished threatened to fall again. "Me too".

After a while, she finally lifted her head towards him, lifted her hands and wiped away his tears. He brushed her tears away, his knuckles gently carressing her cheeks. "You take care oppa.." "You too." 

The time had come and they released their holds on each other, their hands naturally found each others'. "Go." He said. She nodded and pulled her hands from his. A few steps and he grabbed her hand. She turned slightly towards him. His eyes roamed over her face once more and settled on her eyes. They stared at each other again for one last time. "Goodbye."