12

The Butterfly Effect

November 25, 2009

Yoongi attempts to end his life again on Rainbow Bridge, which just so happens to be near his home.  I, Kim Namjoon, also happen to be passing by and stop him.  We become friends starting from today.  Please stop him from jumping.

 

<:>

 

            For some reason, ever since Yeoreum had come back from touring Yonsei, something seemed odd about Yoongi.  He never looked her in the eye, nor did he say anything to her, even when she tried to talk to him.  She wondered if she had done something wrong.  Nonetheless, she continued to pack him lunches every day, even though he’d stopped eating them--he’d just return them to her, untouched.

            “I think something’s wrong with Yoongi,” she confessed to Mr. Kim during morning break.

            “What’s wrong?” he asked quietly.  He slowly tilted his head left and right, signalling that there were other teachers in the office.

            “He’s...not talking again.”

            “Was there anything written in the letter about this?” Mr. Kim asked.

            Yeoreum nodded.  “It’s written that he will try to jump off a bridge today, but I don’t know if that’s the reason.”

            “Are you going to the bridge tonight?”

            She nodded again.  “I will.  The letter is getting less and less accurate with each passing day, but I’m going to go just in case.”

            “What about cram school?”

            “What about it?” she replied.

            “You have it today, don’t you?”

            “Yeah.”

            “Are you going?”

            “...I’m going to ditch today.”

            “Then, if you’d like, let’s go to the bridge together.”

            “A-Are you sure?” Yeoreum asked, surprised.  “I don’t want to bother you.”

            Mr. Kim nodded.  “According to my diary, today is the day that Yoongi and I first became friends in the other universe.  If you don’t mind, I’d like to come along.”

            “All right,” Yeoreum said.

            “You’re not in this alone, Yeoreum,” Mr. Kim said.  “Remember that I’m here too.”

            “I’m going to save him.”

            “I know.” Mr. Kim smiled.

 

<:>

 

            “Yeo~reum,” Minji called out, skipping up to Yeoreum’s desk.  “Let’s buy drinks from the vending machine today.”

            Yeoreum glanced over at Yoongi, who sat in silence, before hesitantly nodding.  As soon as the two turned the corner, Minji smiled.

            “So that guy does have sense.”

            “Eh?” Yeoreum’s eyes widened.  “You talked to Yoongi?  Did he say why he’s mad at me?”

            “He’s only doing what he should’ve been doing a while ago.”

            “What?”

            “You two belong to two different worlds anyway.  Why don’t you just forget him and move on?”

            “Did he...say that?” She felt her heart sink.

            “Well, not really?”

            “What do you mean, two different worlds?”

            “W-Well, you come from a proper family, and he doesn’t--”

            Yeoreum frowned.  “What is your definition of a proper family?”

            “Well, he only lived with his mom--”

            “I only live with my mom.”

            Minji’s eyes widened.  “R-Really?  I-I didn’t know, Yeoreum.  I’m s-so sorry--”

            “Minji-yah…” Yeoreum frowned.  “By any chance, did you tell Yoongi to stay away from me?”

            “I--maybe,” Minji stammered.

            “Why?”

            “H-He was only holding you back, Yeoreum-ah.  I was just looking out for you!”

            “But I like hanging out with Yoongi,” Yeoreum replied.

            “Why?  He’s nothing like you!  You’re too good for him.”

            “He’s good.”

            “What about the curry bread incident?”  

            Yeoreum nodded.  “I offended him.  It was my bad.”

            “And the infirmary incident?”

            “I startled him.  Anyone would’ve been startled if you had a fever and woke up with your arm around a stranger.”

            “D-Don’t you remember when he punched that kid--”

            “He only got physical when the guy pushed me.  You would’ve done the same,” Yeoreum said.

            “I know, but--”

            “He hasn’t done anything bad after that.  You’re basing your opinion of him on his actions from two months ago.  I don’t appreciate you making decisions for me without my consent.”

            “He’s the son of a mistress--”

            “I don’t see how that’s relevant here, Minji.”

            “Yeoreum-ah, don’t be mad.”

            “Minji-yah, maybe it’s best if we spend some time apart.”

            “Yeoreum-ah--”

            “I’m going back to the classroom.”  Yeoreum turned around.  Minji reached for Yeoreum’s arm, but Yeoreum shook it off.

 

<:>

 

            “Yoongi, we need to talk,” Yeoreum said.

            He didn’t respond, instead sliding his headphones over his ears.  Other people in the classroom glanced at the two, curious.

            “Did Minji talk to you about me?”

            Silence.

            Yeoreum reached for his headphones, removing them from his ears and placing them around his neck.  “Please, listen to me.”

            “Leave me alone.”

            “Yoongi, please.  I don’t know what she said exactly, but I like hanging out with you.  Isn’t that all that matters?”

            “But I don’t like hanging out with you.”

            His words hit her heart like a bullet train.  “Y-You don’t mean that.”

            He glared.  “You always stick your nose in other people’s business.  You follow me around like a fly, and it irritates me.  Yeah, I’m too poor to afford lunch, and I’ve been taking advantage of your charity this entire time, because I like free food.  Don’t you get it?” His eyes were cold.  “I don’t like hanging out with you.  I’m was just using you, and I don’t have a use for you anymore.”

            She looked down, clenching her fists.  People around the two whispered.  She bit her lip and tried to hold her tears back, but a few spilled over anyway.

            “D-Do you really mean that?”

            “Please, just leave me alone,” he finished, slipping his headphones back over his ears.

            Yeoreum whirled around, bumping into Mr. Kim on her way out, bowing before running down the hall.

            Mr. Kim entered the classroom, confused.  “What’s going on?”

            No one said anything.

            “Class, I repeat.  What is going on?”

            Jung Hoseok raised his hand and said, “Min Yoongi made Han Yeoreum cry.”

            “Are we in kindergarten?” Mr. Kim asked.  Sighing, he continued, “Park Minji, would you please look for Yeoreum?”

            “Please send someone else, Mr. Kim,” Minji replied, looking down.  “I made Yeoreum mad too, so I doubt she’d like to see me anytime soon.”

            “Very well.  Kim Nayeon, would you please look for Han Yeoreum?”

            One of the other female students exited the classroom, and Mr. Kim turned his attention to the rest of the class.  “Let’s begin the lesson.”

            “But Mr. Kim, Yoongi made her cry--”

            “Enough.  Let’s begin the lesson.”

            Yoongi could feel a lot of glares trained on him, even as Mr. Kim lectured.  He tried to convince himself that he had done it for Yeoreum, so that she wouldn’t get stuck with a bad guy like him.  He didn’t mind being hated if it meant that she could move on to bigger and better opportunities.  Closing his eyes, he tried to push the image of her tear-stained face out of his mind but couldn’t.  I made her cry...