Chapter 6 - Mission #2

Introducing K-pop: Season 1

 

Chapter 6 - Misson #2

 


“Good afternoon everyone.” Haneul greets. The cast members and VJs were currently inside an empty gym. Going along the middle of the gym floor, 24 chairs were setup with space separating the chairs into six sets of four. “Okay before we start, everyone, please find your group’s seats. They’re set up in alphabetical order.” Haneul states.

The group nods. Moving over to the chairs they stand behind them. “Okay now, cast members, take a middle seat. For the four groups that only have one cast member, VJs also take a seat. Other VJs, I just need you to stand behind your member.” Haneul instructs. After the group moves around to how they were told, Haneul claps her hands together.

“Now, welcome all to Mission #2.” Haneul states. “As we all know, Mission 2 was chose to be a dance competition by our first Mission winners. Now first thing to explain: Since we do have groups that have two cast members in them, for this competition, each group will have two teams that will compete. That said, for those groups that only have one cast member, your second team will be your VJ. Now, before I start with the rules, how about we reveal who’s everyone’s dance partners will be?” Haneul asks.

Haneul then turns to make her way to the gym’s door. After taking a step toward the door she stops. “Oh and another piece of information before I let them in,” she starts. “Whoever you think will walk through that door for your group; erase it out your head. The idol groups had to decide amongst themselves who the partners will be. But with one rule, those chosen could not be one of the top two dancers of the group.”

Smiling at the confused looks on the group’s faces, Haneul moves to the door. Opening the door, Haneul holds it open. “Hello, partners. Join your group and sit down in the empty seat next to the person chosen as your partners.” she informs. The first person to walk into the gym was Donghyun. At this Keya looks at Suyun. “I hope we get to watch the other performances.” she states. Suyun looks at her. “Why do you ask that?” she asks. Keya smiles. “It will be interesting to see. Only thing I’m worried about is that I hope they did not choose Yesung as one of the partners for Super Junior.” she states. Suyun tilts her head. “Not really good at dancing?”

Keya sighs and pats Suyun on the shoulder. “I’ll show you some of his dance clips when we get back to the apartment.” she says with a small laugh. She then looks back toward the door to see Kangin and Kyuhyun walking toward the door. “Ah, I don’t know how I feel about this.” she says as Kyuhyun moves to sit down next to Stacy.

Once Kyuhyun sits down next to her, Stacy smiles at him before turning and looking directly at Keya. She then sticks her tongue out at Keya. Keya narrows her eyes and shakes a fist at Stacy. “That little monkey.” she whispers. She then huffs and straightens her glasses. “Ah, Keya. Look at the door.” Suyun states getting her attention.

Keya does as told to see Yongguk and Himchan walking toward them. Keya lets out a small laugh when the two stops in front of them. “So they you guys.” she states. Yongguk sighs. “On me, yes. Even before they informed us that it couldn’t be one of the two main dancers, I was chosen before the crew could get another word out.” he says taking the empty seat next to Keya.

“As for me, it was between me and Daehyun.” Himchan states as he takes the empty seat next to Suyun. “And we all know the answer to that question.” he states. Keya looks at him. “He’s been getting better though.” she says. Himchan nods in agreement. “True, but they still decided to choose me.”

After all the idols that entered sit down next to the cast or VJ that was chosen as they’re partner, Haneul gets the group’s attention back to her. “Okay, so, the person who just sat down next to you will be your partner for the entire mission.” she states. “Now, the other members will come in. They will stand behind one of their group’s pairs. This will be which team they decided to be the support for.” she says.

Opening the door again, she holds it open for the rest of the idols to come in. “I know some members aren’t here, but they will be informed on the teams and the rules. So when they do join, they can choose which to join.” Haneul states. As idols move to their groups and stand behind certain pairs, Suyun and Keya look behind themselves.

“Daejae has chosen you two. We got Jonglo.” Suyun states. Keya tilts her head. “Why are both main dancers on one team?” she asks. The four standing shrug. “It’s just the way we split up when asked which team we would like to be on.” Youngjae states. Himchan looks at him. “What he really means is that they’re more concerned about me then Yongguk with this challenge.”

“Well Keya likes learning choreographed dances so that helps them out.” Zelo states. “But Suyun has yet to have the opportunity, remember this, to join in on dance practice, so we don’t know how well she’ll do.” he states. “We already know you guys’ dance levels so I think it’ll be okay if the two main dancers help the same group.”

“Okay, everyone’s behind whose team they’ll be on?” Haneul asks as she moves to stand in front of the groups. “Now, how about we start with our first rule before we get any farther into Mission.” she says. “First rule is that, for this Mission, the team you all have now, cannot be changed. There will not be any switching at all. Unless it’s something that a member gets injured and can’t.”

“With that said, let’s introduced the theme for the Mission.” Haneul states. As she says this, the door on the other side of the gym opens up and a group of people walk in. The twelve newcomers line up in a row behind Haneul, standing in pairs. “Please say hello to our dance instructors for this Mission.” she announces.

The group lets out a round of applauds for the twelve. “These six pairs all specialize in the same dance field. That field will be our category for the Mission.” Haneul states. “And that field is Ballroom Dancing.” she announces. Haneul and the twelve instructors all let out small laughs at the expressions on the faces of those seating.

“Those are the reactions that I wanted to see.” Haneul says. “For the twelve pairs sitting, after the partners were chosen and removed from the room, the rest of the remaining members chose which dances they wanted their teams to do. No two teams have the same dance.” she states. “Let’s get to the rules for this mission shall we?” she asks.

“First rule: No switching is allowed between the teams.

Second rule: You have to keep your discussions about your dances to a minimum. You can not inform other teams which dance you have. The idols in your groups already know since they chose them, so that’s okay.

Third rule: No one from another team, even if they are part of the idol group you’re filming with, is allowed to see your dance. Practice must be held in different rooms.”

“The rules are simple. I don’t think you all will have too many problems with them.” Haneul states. “Now, onto more about the Mission. Our lovely instructors here will not only be the ones to teach you your dance, but they will also judge you during the competition.” she reveals. “Each pair of instructors is assigned to a group. Once they demonstrate the dances for the two teams, they’ll chosen which team they’ll continue teaching.”

“I can see some of you are starting to get excited.” Haneul says, “And in just a moment, I will let you all head to the practice rooms you’ll be using for today. But before I do, let’s introduce the twist that I mentioned when the competition was first chosen.” she states. Seeing the wry looks that started to appear on their faces, Haneul smiles.

“The Twist: You will only be learning with your instructors for four hours. The rest you’ll have to learn on your own through a video that they’ll provide you of the dance steps.”

Silence filled the gym as the group let the rule sink in. “What? Just four hours?” Xiong asks. “You mean like four hours whenever we meet up with them right?” he asks. Haneul shakes her head. “No, the only time that they’ll teach you will be today. That’s the four hours.” she states. The group looks around at each other. “That is crazy.” someone voices out.

“So when is the competition?” Hara asks. Haneul smiles. “The competition will take place on Monday, the 13th.” she informs. The group let out groans. “Ten days to learn a ballroom dance?” Junho asks. “And on top of our regular schedules. This outta be fun.” he states.

“Just have fun learning something new and enjoy okay?” Haneul states. “On the 13th, you will be back here on this floor to show everyone what you’ve learned. We’re even decided to hold a contest for fans to be chosen to be part the audience and show support.” she states. The group nod. “That’s great. I’m sure a lot of people will enjoy that.” Naeun states.

“Now, that’s all the information for the Mission for now.” Haneul says. “You all will now be splitting up into different rooms for your lessons to begin.” she says. Holding out a hand, Haneul motions it toward the doors that the instructors came through earlier. “Going out these doors and turning down the hall, you’ll find the rooms that you’ll be using. Each one is labeled with the groups’ name and either Pair 1or Pair 2.”

“For now, groups, just go into Pair 1’s room. The instructors assigned to your group will meet you in there and you all can formally introduce yourselves. Good luck you all. I’ll check in on you all after your lessons get going.” Haneul says. With that, those sitting stand up and the group makes their way to the doors.

Going where instructed the groups split up, going into the first room with their name on it. “I must say, I’m shocked but excited for this.” Keya says as they enter the room. Suyun looks at her. “Oh yeah, you like Ballroom Dancing right?” she asks. Keya nods. “Yeah, and now I finally get to learn It.” she says.

“Learning it in an odd fashion but hey, you can cross it off your list.” Zelo states. Keya looks at Yongguk. “So, you’re my partner.” she says before looking at the others. “So, what dances did you guys chose?” she asks. The four addressed just smiles. “We can’t tell you. The instructors will inform you four on the dances when they come.” Youngjae states.

It wasn’t long before two of the instructors walk into the room. “Good afternoon all.” they greet as they move to stand at the front of the room. “Before we get started, shall we introduce ourselves?” the woman asks. “I’m Park Yuri.” she introduces herself with a small bow.

“And I’m Kwon Soohyun. Nice to meet you all.” the man standing next to her introduces with a small bow also.

After lining up next to each other, the group bows. “We are B” Yongguk starts

“A! P! Yes sir!” the others join in. “Nice to meet you too.” they greet clapping. The instructors nod. “And who’s who?”

“Hello, I’m Yongguk” Yongguk says, starting the individual introductions.

“Hello, I’m Himchan”

“Hello, I’m Youngjae”

“Hello, I’m Daehyun”

“Hello, I’m Jongup”

“Hello, I’m Zelo”

 

The group then looks at Keya and Suyun. “Hello, I’m temporary co-ed international member Keya.” she introduces with a smile. Suyun looks at Keya before turning back to the instructors. “Hello, I’m temporary co-ed national member Suyun.” she states half mocking the girl next to her.

The two instructors let out small laughs. “I like that.” Yuri says. “Do you introduce yourselves like that to others?” she asks. Keya nods. “Yes, I came up with it last week when asked the question of how I should introduce myself.” she explains. “I think it explains it all.” she says with a small laugh.

“Okay now, who will the group be for this mission?” Soohyun asks. Moving around the group divides themselves into their teams. Yongguk, Keya, Suyun, and Himchan stood forward in their pairs. Yuri looks at the four. “Okay, shall we inform you on what dances have been chosen for you four by your members?”

“Group 1, Yongguk and Keya; your members have chosen the Tango for you two.” Soohyun reveals. “Group 2, Himchan and Suyun; your members have chosen the Waltz for you two.” he continues. “To start, we’re going to separate the two teams. Once separate, we’re going to go to each team and show them personally their dances. We will then choose a team and start the practice.

The group nods when he’s done speaking. “So, Group 2, you may go to the second practice room, next door.” Yuri states. With that the four of Group 2 makes their way out the room and to the one next door. Shutting the door, Yuri turns to the four still in the room. “Group 1, Argentine Tango. Shall we get started by showing you your dance?”

Nodding, the four members move off to the side. As Soohyun walks over to the stereo that was set up in the room, Yuri moves to stand a bit off from the center of the room. After pushing a few buttons on the stereo, Soohyun moves to stand in front of Yuri.

Within seconds, music fills the room and the instructors begin to move. The four watch in amazement as the couple moves smoothly across the floor. “They make it look so effortless. As if it’s as natural to them as breathing.” Keya whispers as she watches them with wide eyes. Daehyun looks at her before looking back at the pair dancing. “Depending on how long they’ve been dancing, by now, it probably is.”

As the music and the dance come to an end, the four applauds. The instructors bow as thanks. “And that is the routine that you two will be learning.” Soohyun states. Youngjae raises his hand. “Will they have to do the lifting part?” he asks. The pair nods. “Yes, you have to stick to the main parts of the routine.” Yuri states. “But you are also encouraged to improvise.”

Keya looks at Yongguk. “Drop me and I’ll hurt you.” she says. Daehyun lets out a laugh. “And the threats toward Yongguk finally start.” he says. Yongguk looks at him with a raised brow. “What do you mean?” he asks. Youngjae tilts his head. “You haven’t noticed? Until now, you’re the only person she hasn’t threatened yet in the group. It’s about time.”

Keya looks at the instructors who were listening with interesting expressions. “Sorry, they get sidetracked like this a lot. Whenever it happens just yell at them and they’ll focus again.” she says. Daehyun lets out a snort. “Yah, you’re the one who indicates the distractions.” he says making the instructors laugh.

“Okay, okay, how about we continue before we get really off track.” Yuri says. Walking over to the stereo, Yuri picks up a box that set on the floor next to it. Moving back to the others, she holds the box out to Keya. Keya looks at the box then at Yuri before taking it.

With a raised brow, Keya shakes the box. “Or you could, you know, just open it.” Yongguk states. Keya gives him a pointed look before taking the top off the box. Inside was a pair of black heels. Keya frowns as Daehyun laughs. “Do I have to?” she asks looking at the instructors. The two nods to her.

“I mean you can choose to not practice in them…” Yuri states. “But you will be wearing a pair during the competition. And it’s best to practice in shoes similar to what you’ll be competing in.” she says. Soohyun nods. “They informed us that you don’t like heels, so we chose some that weren’t too high. Which is actually a good choice because of the high difference between you and Yongguk.” he states.

Keya sighs as she moves over to one of the chairs in the room. Sitting down, she removes her shoes. She sits them to the side before sliding on the heels. After buckling the straps, she stands up and walks back over to the others. “You don’t seem to have trouble walking in them.” Yongguk says she stops next to him.

Keya turns to him to see that with the heels on she was now almost eye level with him. “Why are you so tall?” she asks. “And I have no problem walking in them. I just don’t like wearing them. There’s no real need for me to and they hurt if you wear them too long.” she states.

“Okay, so the Argentine Tango is an intimate dance. And as you’ve seen from the routine, you well be in very close throughout the whole dance.” Soohyun says. “Are you two comfortable with being that close to each other?” he asks. Keya and Yongguk look at each other before shrugging. “Don’t know. We haven’t had the need to be that close together.” Keya says rubbing the back of her neck.

“Well then, come on and try.” Yuri says motioning for the two come forward. Doing as told the two join the instructors in the middle of the room. Turning to Keya, Yongguk holds out a hand to her. Stepping closer, Keya places her hand in his. Both of them slightly jump at the shock that comes when their hands touch. “I do not claim fault this time.” Keya says. “I wasn’t on any carpet at today. It’s your fault this time.” she says with a small laugh as she places her hand onto his shoulder.

“It’s always your fault though.” Yongguk says as he places his hand onto Keya’s waist. The two then look at the instructors. “Okay, so you’re comfortable like this?” Soohyun asks. The two nods. “That’s good, which means you two are okay with being close. But for the dance, you’ll have to be closer.” Soohyun states.

With that said, Yuri moves to the pair. She moves Keya’s hand that sat on top of Yongguk’s shoulder down until it rested on the back of his shoulder. “Take a step closer Keya.” Yuri instructs. Keya nods and does as told. Yuri then takes Yongguk’s hand that sat on Keya’s waist and moves it up and across until it rested just under her right shoulder blade.

“Very close right?” Yuri asks as she steps back. “But as you’ve seen, at a few parts of the dance, you’ll be this close.” she states. “Are you too okay?” she asks. The two nods. “That’s good to know. But just to make sure…” Soohyun starts. “I would like for you two to stay in this position until one of us come back into this room to teach the dance. Okay?”

When the two nod, the instructors make their way to the door. “We’re going to show the other team their dance then we’ll decide our teams.” Yuri says as Soohyun opens the door. “One of us will be back.” With that the two walk out the room, closing the door behind them.

“You can stop holding your breath now.” Yongguk says. Keya slowly exhales. “Sorry but this is weird.” she says. Yongguk nods in agreement. “Weird how?” Daehyun asks. “Are you uncomfortable?” he asks. Keya lightly shakes her head. “No, I mean I’m not completely comfortable but I’m not uncomfortable. I’m not used to being this close.” she states.

“Well now you can be as close as you want. Well with Yongguk that is.” Youngjae says. Daehyun nudges Youngjae. “I know what will make you two feel more comfortable.” he states. “Look to your right.” he states. Without much thought, the two does as told, only to find themselves face to face, noses brushes against each others.

Keya eyes widen behind her glasses. Feeling her face heat up, she immediately turns away. DaeJae’s laughs were instantly heard in the background. “You’re blushing.” Yongguk says with a small laugh himself. Feeling her face heat up more, Keya lowers her head. “Of course I am. Shut up.” she whispers.

After a few minutes, Keya sighs. “Is it just me, or is time going by very slowly.” she says. Without thinking, Keya lets out a small yawn, laying her head on Yongguk’s shoulder. Youngjae looks at Daehyun. “I think we might have it easy.” he states. Daehyun nods. “Keya breathe.” he says.

“What are you talking about? I am breathing.” she states after a minute. The action causes Yongguk to slightly shift. “Oh, sorry.” Keya whispers, realizing that she was basically breathing into his neck. Raising her head, she lends back and looks at him. “Actually, I’m really not, because I have to breathe. But also, you smell very nice.” she states.

“Makes you want to bury your face in his neck all night doesn’t it, Keya?” Daehyun asks. Keya watches in amusement as a red tint crosses Yongguk’s face. “Oh ho, ho, look whose blushing now.” she says with a small laugh. Yongguk looks at her. “How do you just act like that means nothing?” he asks.

Keya shrugs. “I spent high school with Stace and other friends who turned almost everything said into something suggestive. And once they were on a roll, it doesn’t stop.” she states. “I guess you can’t handle that.” she says. Yongguk raises a brow and lets out a scoff. “What’s that? I can’t handle?” he asks. A light shrug from Keya was his answer.

“Oh really?” Yongguk asks. He then lends forward, removing the space that Keya had put between them. “We’re very close right now.” he whispers lowly to where only she could hear. “There’s a lot that I could do to you. Can you handle that?” he asks. Eyes widening, Keya feels her face heat up quickly.

“Yongguk, what did you just say to her? We can see her red ears from here.” Youngjae states. At this, Keya ducks her head and Yongguk smirks. “I c-can’t b-believe you j-just say t-that.” Keya says. Daehyun shakes his head. “And she’s stuttering. That’s one for Team Bang.” he states with a small laugh.

Keya turns her head to say something to him, but it stopped by the door opening. The four turn to see Soohyun walking back into the room. “Okay Team A. I’ll be your individual instructor for you to learn this dance.” he states walking over to the pair. As he stops next to Yongguk and Keya, he looks at Daehyun and Youngjae. “Will you two learn also?” he asks.

Daehyun and Youngjae look at each other before shrugging. “We can learn the basic parts of the dance.” Youngjae suggests. Daehyun nods in agreement. With that the two move to stand next to Yongguk and Keya. Looking at how they were positioned, they position themselves the same way. “Okay, now, let’s get starting with practice.” Soohyun says with a clap of his hands.

 


 

And that's Chapter 6. My internet is back, so it should get easier for me to update regularly now.

I'm also getting less busy too. Which means more time for my writing and K-Pop. I got to see B1A4 again and found a last minute ticket to BTS. Both concerts(Chicago) were awesome.

I also went to another BAP Concert. I'm going to KARD's concert in like a week. Then I'm going to MFECT's concert in June. And I'm thinking about going to KCON LA(whenever they start listing the artists). So it's been a good year so far.

Anyways hope you all enjoyed the chapter. I'll update soon. Thanks for reading.