SIX

Grounded

 

Jungkook stared at his math homework for a solid three minutes before grabbing it and drop-kicking it onto his bed.

 

Okay, he thought. Try English instead.

 

So he snatched up his English textbook and turned to a page, then stared at it like it was a foreign language. Which it was.

 

A jumble of words and the confusion of where to put each word and how to phrase things and what the difference between blue and blew was and what the heck those darn articles were moshed Jungkook’s brain into a murky, confused pot of soup. He sighed and squeaked to himself for the umpteenth time before pulling his phone out of his pocket and texting the first upperclassman friend he could think of. Namjoon.

 

Ever since the accident, Namjoon’s been apologizing repeatedly to the point it was getting annoying, but even then, the worried tone in his voice was refreshing to Jungkook’s ears. It was nice to feel cared for by a. . .friend, is what he guessed he could call them now. He easily forgave the elder and they became two people who could rely on each other with a bond that nobody else could understand.

 

 

Kookie: Hey, Hyung! Do you know anyone who tutors?

 

MonstrousSwag: Yea, I tutor people sometimes.

MonstrousSwag:  Waddya need?

 

Kookie: I need help with Algebra and English.

Kookie: I at both. . .

 

MonstrousSwag: Do you want to meet me at the school library after school tomorrow? I charge money, but I think i’ll do it for free for you for maybe five classes as a repayal.

 

Kookie: Hyung, you don’t have to do that. . .you paid for my hospital expenses wtf

 

MonstrousSwag: Ahh but I feel bad. . . .

 

Kookie: Don’t worry, hyung you probably need to earn money, right?

Kookie: It’s fine, I gotchu.

Kookie: I’ll be there tomorro

 

MonstrousSwag: Alright, then

MonstrousSwag: See you!

 

Kookie: Bye, Hyung



 

 Jungkook tossed his phone on his desk before belly flopping on his bed, frowning at the crinkling feeling underneath him. He then proceeded to angrily grab his math homework from under him and throw it on the ground. Rolling over his dark red duvet, Jungkook stared pointedly at his pillow before feeling a sharp, mind-splitting headache.

 

“Agh!”

 

An agonizing, rippling sensation coursed through two sections on his upper back, as if his bones were his interiors to break through. His head throbbed until he could feel his heartbeat pulsing in his forehead.  His eyes squeezed tight, Jungkook curled into himself with his hands firmly pressing against his head and tried not to whimper, mentally screaming at the raw pressure in his back. What is this? He began to wonder.

 

Another pound to the head, the feeling of a bony hand clawing at his insides, and Jungkook just about felt like he was going to pass out. “E-Eomma!”

 

 

And just like that, it was gone.

 

“Kook-ah, what is it?” His mother had rushed up the stairs and was still holding a wooden spoon slick with something deep orange - probably spices from some chicken buldak - and proceeded to rub Jungkook’s forehead when he continued to pant.

 

“No, it’s. . .it’s gone now. I just had this flash headache. And back pain.”

 

“Aw. If you need to rest, then take a nap, okay? Don’t work yourself too hard. Do you want some medicine?”

 

He paused for a few moments to assess his situation and shook his head. “I think i’m okay now.”

 

With a hum, his mother gave him a head rub and left the room, leaving Jungkook more confused and tired than ever.

 

 

__________________________



 

“Oh! Jungkook!” The young student turned his head to find Namjoon happily waving at him from a seat at a table. The library had a fair amount of people and a colossal amounts of books, which wasn’t really Jungkook’s cup of tea, but seemed like it made Namjoon pretty giddy with excitement himself. Another man sat next to Namjoon. He had deep brown locks, pretty eyes, and wore a fuzzy white sweater to match with his white converse shoes.

 

“Hey, Hyung.” Jungkook pulled out the chair across from the others and set his backpack on the floor, pulling out a couple of binders and books. “How are you?”

 

“Pretty good. You look a lot better than last week, i’ll tell you that. How’s everything?”

 

 Jungkook thought for a second. “Nothing really changed. Who’s this?”

 

“My name’s Kim Seokjin, nice to meet you. I’m sorry if i’m bothering you or anything, but i’m just going to read this book over here and sit around if you don’t mind. I’m Namjoon’s friend, by the way.”

 

Jungkook glanced at his hyung jokingly. “You have friends?”

 

“Yahhh, Seokjin’s the best friend out there! You should try his seaweed soup sometime, wow. Or his chocolate souffle, that was great. He was actually there when, you know, the thing happened.”

 

“You were there?” Seokjin definitely had the younger’s attention now.

 

“Uh, yeah, um, I saw you get hit and I ran over.”

 

“He fainted after that though. I was so scared.”

 

“Aww, did you think I died?”

 

“I thought two people died right in front of me, wouldn’t you be scared, too?!”

 

“Touché.”

 

“Well, Jungkook,” Namjoon’s thick square glasses made him look like a school nerd, but even Jungkook knew that he had a spit-fire side to himself. He could make lyrics and rap fire, but academics came first, apparently. “So, I heard you needed help with math and English?”

 

“Wah!” Seokjin set down his book - How to Shut Up a Man who Acts Like a Two Year Old: Distressed Mother Edition - “You came to the right place! Joonie is part of the top 4% in English among all high schools in South Korea! I don’t know about math, because no one talks about math, but you really hit your luck with the English! I’m gonna go get us some snacks, okay? I’ll be right back,”

 

Namjoon grinned up at him with soft eyes. “Can you get me some coffee while you're out there?”

 

“What am I, your maid?” The eldest left with a tsk and failed at trying not to smile.

 

-------


 

Jungkook would have absolutely despised tutoring if it weren't with one of his friends.

 

“So it’s ‘I am tired’ instead of ‘I is tired’? Why?”

 

“Each noun would have a certain form of being attached to them. ‘He is. She is. It is.’,” Namjoon spelled out the words on a piece of paper. “‘I am. They are. You are’. Just memorize this. Learn present tense first, and then I’ll teach you past tense.”

 

Jungkook groaned.

 

“It’s like this for most romance languages, you know?”

 

“Why are they called romance languages when I absolutely hate them. . .”

 

“Love and hate are tied together very tightly, you know? And-”

 

“I’m back!” Seokjin set down a tray with three cups of sweet coffee and a box of donuts. “How’s it going?”

 

 The youngest sniffed. “It’s hard, but I think I’ll get it by tomorrow. I’m gonna have to push myself really hard to get this in my head. By the way, Hyung, what classes do you take?”

 

Seokjin’s ears turned red. “Oh um, I. . .graduated?” It came out more like a question than a reply, but Jungkook nodded nonetheless.

 

“What field are you in?”

 

“I’m taking a break? Yeah, I’m still thinking about it. Maybe culinary?”

 

“Sounds cool.” He snatched a chocolate donut and munched while gazing at his English notes.

 

“But uh, how are you? You feeling anything lately? Anything. . .weird?”

 

He looked up. “Huh?”

 

“No, never mind-”

 

“Actually, I had this killer back pain last night. And a really bad migraine. It lasted for like a minute, but it hurt so much, like a wild animal was clawing at my insides. Ha maybe school is finally beginning to kill me.”

 

Seokjin awkwardly laughed, wheezing with large puffs of air. The blush was reaching his neck and Jungkook was starting to look at him weirdly.

 

“Also there’s this cute guy in my homeroom and dance club.” He wiggled his eyebrows and trying to contain his laughter when Namjoon flashed him a yeahhhhh type of look.

 

“Jungkook, I always thought you were the quiet don’t-care-about-nobody type of person, wow. You finally got an eye for someone?”

 

“God, don’t say it like that. I just think he’s cute, that’s all. He’s a cute dancer, too. I think he’d be cool to partner up with for the performance. Mr.Cho said we’re probably going to do a partner themed dance, but we’re not completely sure yet, so I don’t know.”

 

“Well, that’s nice. Is he a new kid?”

 

“Yeah, just got here yesterday I think.” He sniffed.

 

“Well, it’s a good opportunity for him to feel more comfortable around here and for you to make a friend, so that’s nice. Just don’t freak him out, okay?” Namjoon adjusted his glasses.

 

“Sure.”

 

“And uh, Jungkook,” Seokjin began.

 

“Mm?”

 

“If you have anymore of those back pains just tell me, okay? I’ll be here to help you if you need it.”

 

“Oh. Okay, thanks, I guess.”

 

“Aww, what a cutie, Namjoon, why didn’t you tell me you had such cute friends, huh? Aigoo, he looks so adorable!” Seokjin stood from his seat and took his cup of coffee. “I’m going to head out now, alright? Have fun studying. Bye Joon, Jungkookie,” He ruffled Jungkook’s hair before leaving, leaving the younger to look like a wide eyed bunny.

 

“So you want to get started on that algebra?”

 

Jungkook groaned.