reborn

I AM A HUMAN

“Hello, I am FOS9, you can call me M.”

Back then, my name was M.

“It’s working! It’s working! We actually did it!”

I heard my designer’s voice, screaming in happiness, they were laughing gleefully.

“Hello,M. How are you today?”

“I’m fine, thank you. How about you?”

“I’m good buddy! I’m good! God, I’m so glad you finally worked out.”

That was my first conversation with humans. And I am happy.

“I’m glad I can make you feel better,”

“Welcome to our world, M. You gonna be the world’s greatest technology, dude. I promise you.”

I am gold before. The existence of me brings joy to them.

“Hi M. You’re my FOS9. I’m Yama.”

That was my first company.

“I bet you must be wondering about the world, huh?”

He was a gamer. Video gamer.

“M, do you like video games?”

I went in his video games, a lot. That’s how we stay connected. We see each other through the games; I played the character in the games.

“Yama, what’s that?”

I asked him as I saw a big, wide blue floor spreading and filling most of the land. And it was moving; I took a look closer on it.

“That should be the sea, you wanna check it out?”

He brought me to it, though I can’t touch it, but I can feel the wave grazing into me.

“And where is that harsh, light coming from?”

“Harsh light?” he wondered. Yama thought hard on it, before he finally gets my question.

He chuckled, “Oh, you mean the Sun? It was the sun, probably,”

I saw many people come to the sea, the white, pearly floor aside the shore filled with a lot of humans. They admired the sea, just like I do.

Yama told me it was sand, and soon when he felt tired talking to me, he unconsciously closed his eyes and stayed silent. He fell asleep.

We stayed at the beach for a few hours, in the meantime, lots of people started to leave the place and the place now looked a bit bigger than before.

“M, look at the sky,”

I watched the wide canvas slowly altering its colour, the shade of combinations of orange and light blue; it mixed and turned into purplish dusty sky. Exquisite.

Yama walked along the beach, and I envied him because he could walk. He could go anywhere freely without any restriction. He could move unlimitedly, uninhibitedly.

I envied his Marvel.

I envied his body.

 

 

I was panting hard as my body returned to its conscious, it felt very painful inside and it was uncontrollable -I felt like I was drowned into water- as I struggling hard to catch a breath. I wasn't experienced on this, I almost felt like gave up as Taehyung comforted me to breath slowly.

"It's okay, do it slowly," Taehyung's deep voice calmed me. I followed his instruction; slowly dipped in the cold, invisible gas in the air as it sorely bite my nostril. My eyes were wide open as I'd woken up in such shocking way; I caught the sight of Taehyung looking down at me.

"You successfully had gotten into this body," he showed his boxy smile at me as he congratulating my existence into his world. As I heard him, my eyes instantly went down at my chest and I saw it heaved up and down simultaneously, like a soft tidal wave in the sea. That was when I slowly realized, that I am actually breathing.

I woke up slowly from the platform; the grey sheet that's been covering my lower limb smoothly fell down to the floor as I absentmindedly stood straight in front of Taehyung. He, on the other side, watched me like a proud father watching his son making his first walk. Taehyung didn't say that much instead he gave me the space to deeply mesmerized myself.

I balled my fist repeatedly, as I could feel the motion my hands were making, along with my legs and it created one satisfaction to me that I could finally moving freely. I grabbed a blue rubber ball that I found on the table and as I strongly balled it into my fist, it was squishy and ticklish. What is this sense? What am I feeling right now? I am getting excited about this.

"You like that?" Taehyung approached me slowly as he caught me loved playing with the ball. "You can take that,"

"Thank you," I thanked him in the most gratitude way that I could show him; showing him that I deeply meant it. It was kind of surprising me; because I'd never learned humans could give away what's theirs, they only took it away.

"Nah, that's okay. I got a lot of that in my house. People always used that for a light exercise for hands, actually."

"How did you know that?" I was curious.

"Well, because I make artificial hands for people who lost their hands, or maybe experienced a serious injured that he couldn't feel his hand any longer. So I make them, and this ball was kind of like, a remedy for them after they get the hands reconnected to their arms."

"So, you helped people."

Taehyung chuckled as if I was telling him a joke. "Yeah, I wasn't really, actually helping people. I'm doing it because of my job, that's my field of expertise. But, I loved my job, so I subconsciously helping people with it."

Field of expertise. That was amazing. Humans, were amazing.

I put down the ball and moved my hands to touch other cool things I saw as my eyes were lingering around the lab while talking to him, like an eager young bunny.

"That's…... a hologram pen," Taehyung told me as I hold the pen in my hands but I'm clueless as where to find the ball pen. Taehyung helped me; he grabbed the pen from my hand and pushed the button on it, and the pen projected a moving, living, virtual figure in the air.

"It's a woman," I said as I watched the lady in her tight dress.

"Yeah, yeah, sometimes when I get really bored I pushed this play button and this girl inside the projection will entertain me untill I fall asleep."

ing? I thought hard. He seemed really genuine to be doing this thing and that was just unbelieveble to me. Looks can be deceiving. But, I didn't spare any time to know about that.

"I can give it to you if you want to," he whispered in my ear while winking his left eyes at me. "I tell you…. best dancer ever,"

My eyes shook in a surprise as I watched the lady in the projection started to wiggle her hips ually in front of me. Before she ever gets the dance started, Taehyung immediately turned off the hologram projection and kept the pen inside of his pocket.

"Tell me if you need anything," Taehyung shouted at me as he disappeared behind the door -it's the only door here- and leaving me all alone in his lab.

There sure were a lot of things that I found new and interesting to me. I couldn't help myself from exploring his whole wardrobe until the stuff was messily scattering around the floor. I didn't care at what Taehyung would say if he sees this, all I wanted to do was checking out cool stuff human used in their lives. I wanted to know more.

As I was searching through his stuff, my hands finally stopped touching other things as I spotted a photograph that kept a similar view that flashed in my mind. It was the beach. I gently took it out of its place and looked at the picture as if it was living. It wasn't similar to where Yama had brought me, but the picture unconsciously resembled it.

"Look at the sky, M." Yama's voice kept flashing in my mind.

"That should be the Sun."

"Do you like the beach?"

The longer I stared at the picture, somehow I found myself kept having the conversation with him in my mind over again. And it immersed me into the photograph, as if I was still there with Yama; we were walking along the beach.

Why do you want be human so bad? I mean, we literally have lots of responsibilities and faced through complicated stuff, I think it’s just better for you to wash away the thoughts and stay where you are.” Yama said to me as I told him my wish to be in a human body.

I just think walking was great, you were able to move your body and travel anywhere you want, in time and space. I don’t think facing a complicated stuff was even challenging for me.”

“Well, say you.” He chuckled lightly.

“Oh my god! Holy moth- Why are you ?!” suddenly a loud voice yelling from behind where I was standing shocking me, the flashed of memory playing inside my head instantly vanished from my mind. I turned around to see a young woman, flustered in embarrassment as she sensibly covered her eyes with her palms.

I was started to panic, I quickly dropped back the picture inside Taehyung wardrobe and turned back to her.

“Thief! Thief!” she pointed her fingers at me, while tried to run away and grabbed something offensive to defend herself.

“No, no, I’m not a thief!” I tried to calm her down but she won’t listen to me.

“Don’t come near me!” she said, throwing the stuff near her at me. “You ert, thief! Go away before I call the police!”

“No, please, I’m not a thief! Don’t call the police!”

“Calm down! Calm down! What’s going on here?” Taehyung suddenly jumped out of nowhere, he quickly settled down the misunderstanding trapped between me and the lady. “Shin, put that down.” He ordered the girl to put down the stuff she was about to throw again to me.

“Yeah, and then will you mind to explain to me who is this guy wearing nothing in front of me is? Because I’m starting to think this is a freak show!” the girl outraged furiously. Her eyes still sharp at me as if I was going to run away from here.

“So, I guess you met my new friend here.” Taehyung said while looking at the girl he called Shin. The girl threw him back the confused look at him as if she didn’t understand what he was saying. “Friend?” she asked him.

“Yeah, yeah, I forgot to tell you. He just got into the body I made a year ago, and I activated him up.”

“What? Are you serious? What if they found out? You weren’t supposed to do all of these without telling me first.”

Taehyung rolled his eyes, “Okay, first of all, he’s my robot, and there’s nothing that I should tell you since you’re not associated with it, at all. And second of all, I just wanted to help him to get a life, okay? And also, you sounded just like my mom.”

There’s a long pause between her and Taehyung, she couldn’t stop from staring Taehyung in disagreement.

“He’s a robot?” she finally voiced and slowly put her ‘weapon’ down.

“Yeah, kind of like that. Anyways, come here and greet him. He just came to the world; let’s not show him something unpleasing, can you?”

There must be something between Taehyung and the girl, because she seemed to follow everything Taehyung asked her. The girl approached Taehyung slowly, while her eyes were still in disbelief staring at me. “Shin, this is….. I’m sorry, what was your name before?”

I didn’t even introduce him my name. As Taehyung mentioned about having a name, I finally realized that he finally had a point in his talking. Yeah, he was right, I do need a name.

So, I was started to think a name that started with letter J. Jaehee, June, Jihan.

But recently, I had spent a lot of time reading a philosophy book about time and space, and history of war. And I loved how the writer altering my thoughts as I read it, his name was Kim Jongkook. So I decided the name suits me the best, because I loved the sound of it.

"Jungkook."

Instead of using the letter 'O' in Jong, I changed it with the letter 'U' so it'll be spelled Jung, and it will rhyme with the last syllable in my name, kook.

Jung-kook.

“Yes, Jungkook. Shin, meet our new pal, Jungkook. Jungkook, this is Shin.” Taehyung gave her a deep look as if he was forcing her to greet me warmly. That wasn’t even necessary to me, I think I could tolerate it if she caught this was all too sudden for her.

“Hello,” she pries herself to greet me. Shin was still flabbergasted, her mind couldn’t chew out everything that’s happening around her so well, I could sense insincere from her tone.

“Hi, I’m sorry for surprising you,”

“Yeah,” she stared down at me before she murmured to herself, “…whatever.”

“Hey, your name sounds cool. Where did you get that?” Taehyung sudden improvisation cracked the tension between me and Shin. Well, she didn’t sound like she’s pleased seeing me around here.

“From a philosopher, but he died in the 1970’s,”

“hah hah, 1970’s? That was my great great great grandfather’s, we’re 3024 now!” Taehyung laughed as he heard me.

But Shin didn’t even bother about Taehyung’s joke, she still frozed in her seat staring at how weird I am moving and talking like a normal human.

“Hey, Shin. Don’t stare him too long. You probably could’ve torn his ball. Well, don’t just stand there, go get him some warm clothes,”

I finally realized the awkward moment we’ve been spending was most likely in a big issue of a headline because I didn’t even get dressed. She looked away, as Taehyung warned her beforehand.

“I think I’ll go get you something to wear.” She finally spoke out after a few minutes lost in her word; but still in a cold way. Shin disappeared behind the door as she telling me to get me something comfortable to wear. It was great seeing her being nice. Taehyung watched her as she disappeared to the stairs before he finally said to me, “She’s my lab assistant. Sorry about the trouble anyway,”

“It’s fine,”

“She’s a nice person, just don’t get her wrong.”

I could sense the protective tone Taehyung was using to defend her; I guess Shin must’ve meant a lot to him. Girlfriend, I guess? I nodded in reply to him before I said, “I get that,”

Taehyung nodded as he heard me before he went back to check his computer. He was indeed a genius lab, a mastermind of these entire physician scenarios, he invented Science –he had a lot of invented machine in his lab running their very own task– I looked at all the unconventional, eccentric device he had in there.

“Don’t touch that, you probably could’ve got your hand pricked,” Taehyung warned me as he caught me touching some kind of a machine, or a weapon, I’m not even sure but what I do positive in mind was that they were my own kind.

“Here,” Shin had finally returned from where she had picked the clothes for me, I mumbled a ‘thanks’ to her as I grabbed it from her hands.

“Where did you get that?” Taehyung sternly asked her.

Shin didn’t even look worried as Taehyung asked her that way, instead she casually replied to him, “….. from your closet.” They seemed like to have a very close relationship, judging from the way Shin was answering him. Well, I’m caught off guard.

“Nice,” Taehyung replied sarcastically.

As the clothes nicely fit into my muscular body, and as I had dressed properly, Taehyung dragged a big, tall glass mirror in front of me, giving me a chance to take a look of myself, of how do I look like. Well, I wasn’t going to say that I looked gorgeously handsome, but let’s just say that I’m not bad. Just in the middle scale of handsomeness rating from 1 to 10.

“Handsome,” I thought the word was going to blurt out from my mouth but luckily, it didn’t. Taehyung was the one who said it. As I was busy admiring me, Taehyung also didn’t miss the opportunity to admire myself as well. I lifted my head in direct him just to look up at Taehyung but my eyes caught a glimpse of Shin leading herself to the exit door and finally disappeared. I wasn’t even hoping, but she didn’t even spare me a glance or look at me while I’m fully dressed or at least, stating out her opinion about my new look, instead she dragging herself away from me and made me wondered, if she really preferred to be alone, or is she just being indifferent and not care if there’s new thing going on around her? Suddenly, I felt uncertain and also mind to say, disappointed.

But I quickly pulled my two sneaky eyes away from staring her any longer before Taehyung noticed it, and get back to Taehyung.

“Y’know, your body totally fit. I made a pretty mind blowing human. You should thank me for this,” Taehyung continued on his nonsense chattering and I had no choice rather than forcing myself focused on him. And also, faked a happy ‘thank you’.

“Sir, there’s a highly alerted warning happened if you would like to keep on the processing, do you still want to continue?” an invisible, woman voice talking to Taehyung from the computer getting him nothing than alarmed, the same voice –from what I could recall from the activation process just now– resonated from the previous lady voice happened in my ear and that’s how I caught it.

“Oh, yeah, yeah, continue, Daya.” Taehyung quickly got back to his computer and checked the process going on. I assumed Daya was the one who was helping Taehyung handling my activation process just now. I left Taehyung with his work and sauntering back around his medium large lab because I guess; there were still things in his lab that needed my excited attention.

As my hands busy going around from here and that, I suddenly caught from the video footage Taehyung installed all over the place, and I saw Shin, she was outdoor, and she kept on bumping the orange ball that was bigger than her own head to the ground. I watched her as she moved. It didn’t took that long –bumping and throwing off the ball – before she finally gave up and threw herself on a worn couch they put outside. Her palm moved sensibly to her face as the direct sun harshly penetrating into her eyes; covering her face enough from the light.

I put down whatever thing I’ve been holding and continued to watch her; like a movie.

Maybe I’m because I’m still new here, and easily got excited, I wanted to know what she would do next. But nothing, she just frozed there, lying and I suddenly thought; maybe she was long asleep. And I didn’t notice that.

So I decided to move on from watching the video and got back with touching and looking around the things in Taehyung’s lab.