Torn

Spoiled

After a long hour of staring at the blank ceiling above him, Daehyun began to calm and loneliness began to creep in. Yongguk’s words still echoed in his mind, stinging his heart with every unnecessary reverberation through him. With a heavy sigh, he had asked the nurse to bring him the only thing that could ever come close to soothing the pain Yongguk was capable of causing him.

 

“Hey, Dae.” Relief flooded him at Jongup’s gentle voice, at the fact that, despite Daehyun’s anger, Jongup was still by his side.

 

“I’m sorry I kicked you out.” Moving over, he allowed the other man into his bed, laying his head on his shoulder once Jongup was settled beside him. “I know you were just trying to help.”

 

“It’s fine, Dae. I get it.” Lips brushed his forehead and he allowed his eyes to close, nuzzling Jongup’s shoulder. “I shouldn’t have fought him. You don’t deserve that. I just...”

 

“I know. I know, Jongup.” Smiling when a hand found his own, Daehyun opened his eyes to look up at the man beside him, receiving a soft kiss from Jongup. “You’re always there to take care of me. I owe you more than I could ever give back to you.”

 

“You don’t owe me anything.” A sad look spread across Jongup’s face, confusing Daehyun for a moment. “Don’t you get it yet? I’m selfishly by your side because I love you and I don’t want to be away from you.”

 

“You’re not selfish...” Shaking his head, Daehyun kissed his companion’s cheek, squeezing Jongup’s hand in reassurance. “You’re not...”

 

“Even knowing you can’t love me back, I stay, I make you feel guilty for your heart, when I’m the guilty one.” Seeming unable to face him, Jongup kept his eyes adverted, studying the floor beside the bed. “That is selfish.”

 

“Jongup... I... I do love you, though... I just... I haven't said it because...” Voice wavering, his hands shaking at the confession of his deepest kept secret, Daehyun chewed his bottom lip nervously. “Because you deserve better than me, better than someone who can’t let go of Bang Yongguk.”

 

“But all I want is you, Daehyun.” Whispering, Jongup turned toward him and their lips met, the kiss slow but deep.

 

“Jongup...” Once they parted, his heart was racing, Daehyun’s guilt fighting with his feelings for Jongup. A part of him was more than ready to run into Yongguk’s arms with the slightest indication that it was what he ex wanted, and he hated himself for it.

 

“Stop it, Daehyun. Stop putting yourself down.” A soft hand rubbed his cheek, Jongup’s eyes holding his in a way that, had he been anyone else, would have unnerved Daehyun, but here only brought him comfort. “You don’t realize that to me... Well, to me there is nothing better that you.”

 

“Thank you.” Sharing another kiss, he cuddled closer to the other man, laying his head back down.

 

“Don’t thank me.” Leaning his head on Daehyun’s, Jongup held him close, his embrace familiar and comforting. “I love you, Dae. I love you.”

 

“I... I love you too...” Saying the words, Daehyun felt his stomach flutter. It had been hard to get them out but with each reiteration, it seemed to be easier, more confident. He did love him. It felt nice finally saying it.

 

“Get out, Moon Jongup.” The hospital door slammed open, making the two men jump apart, Daehyun nearly toppling to the floor if not for Jongup’s quick arms wrapping around his waist.

 

“Father?” Sitting up, Daehyuns’s eyes fell on the man in the doorway, Yongguk standing beside him, looking confused. “What are you doing here?”

 

“I’ve come to take you home.” Crossing his arms over her chest, the stern, older man looked the duo in bed over, a look of disgust on his face.

 

“But he’s not healthy enough to leave yet!” Jongup’s grip on him tightened, clearly ready to fight for Daehyun’s health and happiness.

 

“He’ll have health care in the mansion. Where you can’t see him.” Sounding cold, his father nodded toward the door. “Now go.”

 

“Father!” Pulling away from Jongup, it was Daehyun’s turn to be outraged. His father barely spoke to him with the exceptions of the rare instances a tabloid had caught Daehyun outside of the mansion with Jongup. Those dating rumors were usually the only reason Mr. Jung had to speak to his son, to tell him how much of a disappoint he was to their family and their company. To show up in his hospital room and demand that Jongup leave... It wasn’t fair. He had no right to take away the only person Daehyun allowed himself to truly rely on.

 

“I mean it, Daehyun. He will be escorted off the property as soon as he shows up.” Rolling his eyes, the man tapped his foot impatiently, Yongguk standing silently beside him.

 

“You can’t do this!” Tears threatened to spill forth as Daehyun clung desperately to the man in his bed, afraid that if he let go, Jongup would go and he’d be left all alone.

 

“I can and I am.” Approaching the bed, his father fished a phone from his pocket, most likely as a sign that he was serious and would call security.

 

“Why the ?!” Lip quivering, Daehyun’s body shook, his breathing coming in sharp gasps as an anxiety attack began to swell inside of him. “You can’t make me stop seeing Jongup!”

 

“He makes you look bad and by extension, myself and my company.” Typing something out of his phone, Mr. Jung sent it and gave his son a dark look. “I wont be made to look the fool any longer just because my son is pathetic and keeps unworthy company.”

 

“He’s better than all of us. He’s especially better than you!” Raising up onto his knees on the bed, Daehyun came face to face with his father, fear boiling into rage.

 

“Silence!” The sound of the slap seemed to echo through the hospital room and a vibrant pain radiated from the mark growing on Daehyun’s cheek. As he slumped back onto the bed, holding his cheek, his father’s hand remained raised, a warning that he was not above striking his son again.

 

“Ow. .” Finally, the tears began to fall and he curled in on himself. Ever since childhood, his defense mechanism, when he got too overwhelmed, had been to curl up and shut down, to block the world out until it went away, and he could feel himself slipping into one of those instances, powerless to stop any of it.

 

“Daehyun!” Yongguk’s voice was shocked as he stepped out of the doorway.

 

“Dae!” Holding onto him tightly, Jongup inspected his cheek, doing his best to pull Daehyun back into reality like he always did.

 

“You will not defy me, Daehyun.” Turning away from them, his father began to walk back to the entrance, his voice showing no change. “I tolerated this peasant when I had no choice, but now I do and I will no longer allow this. I will not have you make a scandal and bring shame to myself and your fiance.”

“Wh-what?” Confused, Daehyun fought the pull of shutting down and looked up at the man that had hit him.

 

“Your fiance, you daft child.” Growling, his father spun on his heels to level a glare at him, causing Daehyun to flinch, shrinking back against Jongup, trying to hide himself in the protective embrace.

 

“I’m not engaged!” Desperate, his voice cracked as he choked put his argument through a sob. What was he even talking about?

 

“You are. You will marry the man that is going to take over my company.” Smirking, his father nodded his head toward the man that had entered the room with him. “You are going to marry Bang Yongguk.”

 

“You can’t be serious!” How long had Daehyun wanted nothing more than to be engaged to Yongguk? It felt like his whole life... But now, under these circumstances... It felt wrong. He felt dirty, sick.

 

“Excuse me, Sir. But... What?” Yongguk sounded as caught off guard by the news as Daehyun was.

“Marry him or he and his mother are out on the streets.” It was a threat substantial enough to silence any further argument. “A car will come to pick you and your fiance up in a few minutes to take you to a press conference to announce your engagement. Do something about the mark on your face. Good thing you like wearing makeup anyway.” With a harsh laugh, his father left the three alone to process what had just happened.

 

“I...” Feeling hallow, lost, Daehyun turned to Jongup. He couldn’t let Yongguk’s mother be tossed aside, her treatment forgotten. But how could he turn his back on Jongup? Breathing became hard and the tears wouldn’t stop flowing. Everything was broken.

 

“It’s okay, Dae. Everything will be okay. Just relax.” Gently, Jongup ran his fingers through Daehyun’s hair, raining kisses over his face, trying to help calm him. Daehyun knew he was worried about how weak he still was, how the stress was hurting him. How could he live without Jongup by his side? “Deep breaths. Remember that I love you.”

 

“I love you too...” Meeting Jongup’s eyes, Daehyun wrapped his arms around the other man’s neck, pulling him into a passionate kiss. If he had to walk away, he wanted Jongup to know it wasn’t what he wanted.

“Get your hands off my fiance, Jongup.” Yongguk’s gruff voice made his heart stop as the two parted their kiss. “Don’t make this harder for him. Don’t be selfish.”

 

“I... How...” Reaching out to grip Jongup’s hand, Daehyun turned to face Yongguk, horrified at his willingness to follow Mr. Jung’s decision. “Jongup...”

 

“It’ll be okay, Dae. It will. Be a good boy, okay?” Pulling away from his, Jongup stood and kissed Daehyun one last time, his lips lingering a little longer than usual, as reluctant to pull away as Daehyun was for him to leave. “Eat, rest, take care of yourself. Everything will be okay.” With a smile, sad and not quiet reaching his eyes, Jongup abandoned Daehyun, leaving him alone with the man he had just been sold to for the good of his father’s company.

 

 

“Daehyun...” As Jongup exited the room, Yongguk watched the man he loved as he fell apart in the bed, curled up in a tight ball, sobbing into the pillow. Had this been what he had done when he walked away from Daehyun those years before? Had he broken him that badly? Or maybe... Maybe Daehyun loved Jongup more than him... Moving closer, he hesitated before running his hand softly along Daehyun’s back.

 

“Leave me alone.” Quiet, Daehyun seemed so distant to him, like he no longer existed within their world. Concern bloomed inside of him and he sank to his knees beside the bed, gently forcing Daehyun to look at him.

 

“I swear, I had nothing to do with this.” Keeping his voice hushed as not to further distress his companion, he found himself hoping that his voice didn’t give away the fact that, even though the engagement had been a shock to him, he was almost relieved. Daehyun had to deal with him now, he had to be near him and hear him out. And in the end, when all things were said, if he still preferred Jongup, well at least Yongguk had a company to run, to care for his mother.

 

“Shut up...” Closing his eyes, Daehyun’s body stiffened but his breathing seemed to slowly even out at Yongguk’s contact.

 

“DaeDae, please...” Rubbing the smaller man’s head, Yongguk looked him over, horrified by the state he had selfishly left Daehyun to deteriorate into. How could Jongup say he kept him alive when he allowed him to nearly die? Yongguk had never allowed him to reach that point on his watch. But then... Giving up his spot beside Daehyun had been exactly why he was in the shape he was.

 

“GO!” The heartbreaking shriek Daehyun let out made him jump, pulling his hand back for a moment in surprise.

 

“I can’t... I have to help you get ready to go.” Flustered, Yongguk shook his head and slowly began to help Daehyun sit up, wiping away his tears with the sleeves of his sweater. “We... We have to go announce...”

 

“Do it without me...” Pulling away, Daehyun winced, whimpering as he pulled out his own IV and got out of bed. Unsteady on his feet, he made it only a few steps before Yongguk had to stop him, steady him and keep him from crashing to the floor.

 

“I can’t, Daehyun.” Sighing, he pulled the other man close, holding him against his chest. “I can’t do this without you...” It was horrifying to feel how small, how fragile Daehyun had really become.

 

“I can’t stand in front of a crowed and say I’m happy. To announce that I was just sold off to someone who doesn’t see me as anything more than a trophy other people are trying to take from him.” Pulling away, Daehyun stumbled back, barely managing to catch himself on a chair. “Or... Or as scraps for dogs to fight over...”

 

“Daehyun... Come on...” Heart sinking, he reached out for the other man again, sighing when his hand was slapped away. “I really am sorry... I didn’t mean it. I was... I was just jealous...”

 

“Go alone.” Insisting on not accompanying Yongguk, Daehyun began to pull on clothes from the hospital bag Jongup had brought him. Sinking down in the chair, he pulled out a makeup kit, inspecting his face in a small mirror. “Great. I look like , Father is going to be so pleased.”

 

“I need you there, Dae. I’ll do all the talking, okay?” Kneeling in front of him, he took Daehyun’s hands in his own, kissing the backs of them. “I’ll take care of everything.”

 

“Good. Because I’m not saying . Unless you want me to just tell them I’d rather be with Jongup.” Daehyun’s glare was like a dagger in Yongguk’s chest but he shook it off and picked up a larger mirror, holding it up so Daehyun could focus on his makeup and not have to juggle items just to see.

“You’d do that to my mom?” Raising an eyebrow, Yongguk watched as Daehyun fooled around with an assortment of junk he had no names for, slowly covering up the bruise on his cheek and his puffy eyes.

 

“... No...” Groaning, Daehyun bit his lip, a sign he was nervous or trying to control his emotions. Watching him a moment, Yongguk leaned forward to kiss his cheek, doing his best to reassure Daehyun that he wasn’t out to hurt him.

 

“I didn’t think so.” Smiling a little, Yongguk sighed, giving Daehyun the best option he could given their situation. “Look. Your dad just needs us to get married, and then he can hand the company to me and once that’s done, we wont have to be married anymore. I’ll let you get a divorce.”

 

“Okay...” Inspecting himself in the mirror, Daehyun didn’t even look at him. It hurt to think that maybe Yongguk had managed to ruin everything between them so badly.

 

“But until then... I’m sorry... But you can’t see Jongup anymore.” He tried to sound regretful, but deep down... He wasn’t. Yongguk hated Jongup, hated that Jongup had been beside Daehyun, touching him, loving him, laying claim to parts of Daehyun’s body that only Yongguk had ever encountered before. Anger, it was all he felt toward the other man and now, with Daehyun so broken over the loss of Jongup, it was only getting deeper.

 

“I... I know...” Eyes glistening with unshed tears, Daehyun took a long, shaky breath, still unable to face Yongguk. “I know...”

 

“I’ll do better, Daehyun. I will. I’ll be enough for you.” His promised was hushed, but he could tell by the way Daehyun flinched that he had heard him.

 

“Its me who was never enough.” Sighing, Daehyun began to pack away his makeup, hands beginning to shake again. His love’s pain weighted heavy on Yongguk, but he still selfishly could not fight back the relief of their sudden engagement. Sure, he’d give Daehyun the divorce if he wanted it, but in the meantime, he had the chance to change his mind, to make him forget Moon Jongup and fall in love with him again.

 

“Daehyun...” Reaching out for him, Daehyun batted his hand away again, adverting his gaze.

 

“How does my cheek look?” Pointing to the place his father had struck, the mark was rendered invisible by Daehyun’s skillful hands.

 

“You can’t see the mark, if that’s what you’re asking.” Sighing, Yongguk rested his hands on Daehyun’s thighs, rubbing them gently. “How many times has your dad hit you?”

 

“We should get going.” Pushing his hands away, Daehyun stood, swaying on his feet. “Can we... Can we just not talk for a while? I can’t stomach it.”

 

“Yeah. Sorry.” Looking away, Yongguk rose to his feet as well, not sure how to get around the heavy mood between them.

 

“Thanks...” Picking up his bag, Daehyun’s eyes landed on a bracelet hanging from his thing wrist, lip quivering. It was hard not to wonder if it had been a gift from Jongup. If, even then, Jongup was between them.

 

“Dae, I love you...” Not expecting a reply,Yongguk wasn’t surprised when Daehyun turned away from him.

 

“Lets go.” Taking a wobbly step, Daehyun tried to move around him, to leave him behind. “The car is waiting.”

 

“Wait. Let me carry you.” Without any confirmation, Yongguk lifted Daehyun easily into his arms, making sure the other man didn’t drop his bag. “You’ve been through a lot and you’re not well enough to walk right now..”

 

“I... Fine...” Seeming to realize his own weakened state, Daehyun relaxed in Yongguk’s arms, leaning his head against his shoulder. Such a familiar situation to the two of them, Yongguk carrying the tired Daehyun cradled in his arms, and yet somehow it was tense, tainted with what had just happened. Though he was sure it would take a lot of effort on his part, Yongguk wasn’t going to give up, he was going to have Daehyun happy and comfortable in his arms again.

 

“You can sit during the press conference?” As he strode through the hospital, Yongguk couldn’t help but brush his lips across Daehyun’s forehead.

 

“No... Father doesn’t want the media to know of my... Condition.” Sighing, Daehyun closed his eye, turning his face away from Yongguk. “He makes me sign into the hospital under a false name.”

 

“I’ll hold you up.” Holding Daehyun tighter, he exited the building and glanced around, spotting the car to take them away. “Just lean on me, okay?”

 

“Thanks, Yongguk...” As Yongguk lowered Daehyun to the ground to get into the car, Daehyun leaned against him, trying to stay on his feet.

 

“Don’t thank me. I’m doing it because you deserve it, Daehyun.” Opening the door, he helped Daehyun in before climbing in after him. “As long as I’m around, you wont have to do anything. I’ll take care of you.”

 

“Jongup used to take care of me...” Voice murmured, Daehyun turned his attention to the window, no longer paying attention to Yongguk.

 

“Well it’s my turn now...” Fighting back his jealousy and the urge to hunt down Jongup and punch him, Yongguk reached out to touch Daehyun’s hand. “... Again.”

 

“Again...” Daehyun echoed back his sentiment in an empty, emotionless tone, still gazing out the window as the car began to move. Yes. Again. Yongguk would stop at nothing to fix what was broken between them. To make Daehyun forget all about that other man. To make him his again.