Ten

The Story of Us
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Kid, someday you are going to be the man of the house. When the time comes, I want you to be tough! Take good care of your family! Do you understand?”

”Yes, daddy!”

”Good son! Now come, let’s go back and show your mum what we have caught today.”

 

‘It was a fine day with you, dad. It always was whenever you took me fishing.’ He remembered all the details. Father was a simple farmer in countryside area, something he inherited from his grandfather years ago. Despite the rough times the family had to go through, the warm smile on his face never once falter.

Father would go to work early in the morning before the rooster even had the chance to make its sound proudly and only came back when the stars had finally shown themselves. Yet his warmth was the one thing everyone treasured the most of Father.

 

"Life might be hard.." he once said. "You just gotta be tougher and enjoy everything it throws at you."

 

Father always worked hard on the field which in turn made his body looked very muscular. He remembered how he would pass by the field on the way to and from school. How he would wave at Father happily and Father would always wave back at him with his characteristic warm smile.

There were times when he would insist on helping out on the field after school, begging for Father to let him work along Father just so they could walk back home together afterwards. Father would sighed at his stubborn son and shook his head with a slight smile on his face before finally relented and gave him a simple task to do. Although he never really said it, he knew that Father was actually happy to see his son trying hard to help his work.

Then one day it happened. Father overworked himself and collapsed on the field. His fellow farmers found him laying unconcious under the heat in the middle of the day. They rushed him to the nearest clinic where Namhyuk and his mother found him.

Life was never going to be the same afterwards and Namhyuk knew it for sure.

 

"Yah! Hyukie! Wait up, will you?" Sungwoo jogged to catch up with him. "We need to go to the park now. The party should start soon."

 

Namhyuk nodded at his friend's words and walked directly towards the stage area. Some people were already there, busy with setting up the equipments or discussing the timeline for each performances. Sungwoo quickly left his side to greet some performers who had gatherrd at the back of the stage to brief them, allowing Namhyuk to get some alone time.

 

"Especially you.. I believe you will be the one who needs this the most."

 

Namhyuk clenched his hands hard as the words kept ringing in his head.

 

-few hours later at the bar area-

 

”Why didn’t you come to the Dean’s office? You realize that your name was called out as well right?” Namhyuk started to nag.

”I just didn’t feel like it.” Taegon responded lightly.

“This isn’t just about you, Taegon. Something big coming up and we will need to rely on each other a lot.”

”...sure sure” Taegon said lazily.

”You...”

”Uuh.. Guys, let's not do this here, yeah?” Sungwoo finally stepped in and tried to difuse the situation.

 

Namhyuk restrained himself, knowing that Sungwoo was right. It is a public place and starting a fight during an event will nev

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter