Chapter 9| Go home

The Fault of Perfection | OSH
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

A/N: IMPORTANT! PLS READ!!

Hey guys! So, in case you haven't noticed, I've changed the name of this fic. It's now titled 'The Fault of Perfection', simply because I think it has a nicer ring than it's old name. Also, I've changed my username. I'm no longer Flawless1802. Don't ask me why I decided to change, I just decided to (also bc I feel like chentastic94 represents more me more as a person [bc not only is Chen my spirit animal, but Chen is also my last name, which is a bit of trivia for y'all]) So yeah. Lots of changes. Hope you guys aren't too overwhelmed:)

Now, onto the chapter....

 

 

Chaeyoung had been falling back. It seems like the words of those two cadets caused more harm than Sehun had originally thought. She was slower than ever when jogging in the morning, and the fire that seemed to burn ever-presently inside her seemed to have dulled. He could sense the concerned glances Chanyeol kept sending her out of the corner of his eye, proving that he wasn't imagining things.

'Still, all the more reason to tell her to leave...' Sehun thought to himself as he watched her trudge across the oval, head down and face grim. Still, a small part of him wondered if he was doing the right thing. But he quashed that doubt irritatedly, telling himself that he was doing it for Chaeyoung's own benefit. 

So, after Chaeyoung failed to complete the obstacle course for the 5th time, Sehun finally called for a halt. With his face impassive, he told the class they were done for the day. As the cadets, sweaty and covered in grime (it had started raining lightly halfway through, meaning the floor was all muddy) started to head back towards the dorms, he called out again. 

"Except you, Cadet Park. I need to have a word with you," he kept his tone cold and his expression controlled. He ignored the surprised glances Chanyeol sent him and kept his gaze pinned straight on the confused and slightly apprehensive looking cadet. Whispers rose throughout the rest of the class as they glanced between Sehun and Chaeyoung, but at the former's glare, they hastened off, leaving the three of them alone. Sehun glanced at Chanyeol. 

"Go inside. I'll let you know when I'm done," he muttered quietly, so Chaeyoung couldn't hear. Chanyeol's eyebrows furrowed. 

"Are you sure-"

"Yes," Sehun replied firmly, giving him a look. "Just do as I say. I'll explain later."

Still looking hesitant, Chanyeol nonetheless agreed to Sehun's order. "Okay. See you soon then." After casting one last glance to Chaeyoung, he left. 

It was now just the two of them. 

"Sir? You called?" Chaeyoung asked. She blinked wearily at him and he took a deep breath, collecting himself. 

"Yes, I did. I've been noticing you slip up lately. Your results have been getting worse, and I'm not happy," he gave her a cold look that bordered on a glare. "So, to put it bluntly, I'm kicking you out. I was right from the beginning. You're not suitable to be a soldier, so I want you to leave. Pack your bags and get the out of here, because you certainly don't belong."

Briefly, he wondered f he was being a little too harsh, but then he figured the harsher he was, the quicker the blow - and the likelier she'd leave.  

  Besides, since when had he worried about being too harsh anyway? Wasn't that what he was known for?

He heard Chaeyoung's panicked intake of breath and he sighed internally, already anticipating the words that would come out of next. 

"I'm sorry, sir! I'm really sorry, but I promise I'll improve! I'll work even harder-"

"Don't spout that crap on me, Cadet Park," he scoffed, eyeing her sharply. "You've been working hard for the past 3 months and what has it achieved? Absolute bat. You're out of chances. I tried to be patient, but it's obvious that you're just not cut out."

She was silent as he glanced at her. Her eyes were wide with horror and desperation. He sighed, preparing himself to deliver the final blow. "Please, sir-"

He shook his head, cutting her off. "I know the real reason you joined the military."

She fell silent again, her eyes widening further, this time with shock swimming in her irises. She blinked, suddenly looking incredibly apprehensive. "W-What do you mean?"

"I mean, I know about your brother, and what you meant by the 'I'm here to find something' crap," he heard her sharp intake of breath but didn't pause long enough to let her speak again. Reaching into his pocket and pulling out a folded white document, he carelessly chucked it at her. It was her brother's profile. "Seriously, Chaeyoung, what were you expecting to achieve by joining the military? To find him? He's been missing for 2 ing years. The military sent 4 bloody search and rescue crews to search for him and his team and they were all unsuccessful. So tell me, what did you think you, as such a pathetic excuse for a cadet as you are, could achieve when not even trained soldiers were able to find him?" He forced his voice to sound mocking. "How foolishly stupid of you, Park Chaeyoung. Thinking you could find your brother when not even the rest of the military could? Just how much of an idiot are you?"

Chaeyoung was blinking rapidly, and somehow Sehun knew she was trying to hold back tears. Feeling an ugly feeling rise in his chest, he forced himself to utter his next words. 

"He's probably dead anyway, Park. So just forget about him and go home."

And that was it. The final blow. Park Chaeyoung had finally been utterly defeated by the cold, ruthless captain in front of her, her knees hitting the ground as the strength seemed to leave her limbs. She felt empty, like a massive hole had been torn inside her. She felt numb in every part of her body except her chest, where it felt like she was being punched repeatedly. She struggled to breathe, constricted as she desperately tried to hold back her tears. She was unsuccessful, however, as the first few rolled down her face. 

"Why..." she mumbled, looking down at her hands, which were shaking. She clenched them.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter