Fueled Conflict

Dial Her Number for a Surprise

Kyungwon has been trying to reach Minkyung since her class ended, she also constantly checks her every social media account for possible Minkyung update. But so far, there’s none. Minkyung hasn’t called nor text her when she said she’s going to need her help with the papers, and of course Kyungwon began to worry.

Should I just go to her house?, Kyungwon thought.

She started estimating the time it will took to get there using her ancient motorbike which will most probably give up on her in the middle of the ride.

Going there usually took up an hour and twenty minutes, but since it’s nine pm already, the traffic is probably light.. I’ll get there in fifty. She thought gearing up.

She was about to leave her dorm when she decided to call Minkyung once again before she takes off.

“Hello~” Minkyung finally answered.

“Hi? I thought you’d call me today so we can work on your papers?”

“Sorry for not calling Kyungwon-ah~ I just got home.. But I did my papers, so it’s fine. You don’t have to worry.” Minkyung says enthusiastically.

Kyungwon was confused. She also wants to scold Minkyung for making her worry, but Minkyung seems like she had a nice time going around the university. And knowing her friend, Kyungwon assumed Minkyung done it all by herself.

“You didn’t get lost in uni?” she asked, impressed.

 “No, I.. did it with someone else..”

“Oh.. um, with who?”

“I don’t know if you know her because you have different courses. But she’s kind, and I had fun going around in uni with her.”

Kyungwon stays still as feels jealousy consuming her body. She was ready to drop everything for Minkyung, she even made sandwiches and kiwi lemonades for a whole day adventure to the same old place with the person who she wants to spend her whole life with. But someone else did it.

“Try me then I’ve been into different parties and MTs, so maybe I know her?” Kyungwon asked.

“Kang Yebin?”

“Ahh, yeah I know her.”

“You do? how? was she a party girl?” Minkyung asked, clearly interested.

“Do you think I’m a party girl?” Kyungwon chuckled.

And even if it’s just a phone call, Minkyung can feel Kyungwon’s annoyance.

“aaa what the. I don’t know~ you said you’ve gone to different college parties.. how did you know her, by the way?”

“She took English class with me, and we were seatmates ‘cause Kangs.”

“Ooh, interesting.. Was she always nice? She seemed very friendly. She even bought me food” Minkyung giggled

“Yes she is.”

“Ahh… wait, there are still professors who are into seating arrangements?”

“Yes, the language oldies”

“Ahh” Minkyung chuckles. “Kyungwonie..”

“hmm?”

“Are you mad at me?”

“Why would I be?”

“Because I didn’t call you?”

“No it’s fine. I’m actually glad you already made a new friend.” Kyungwon says, being sincere for the latter, and lying on the former. “Hey minky.. I’m going to hang up, you’re probably tired. So, see you tomorrow?”

“No, um.. I’m actually up for talking the rest of the night.. I—I  missed you.”

“Oh, uhh.. Ha.. I’m..”

“Mhm?”

“…I’m actually tired..”

“Oh, alright. Umm, okay, see you tomorrow then.”

“Okay, bye.”

 

----------

 

“And then?” Eunwoo asked

“And then I told her I’m tired.”

“Uhhh what the heck???? why??”

“I don’t know? I was upset? And tired?”

Eunwoo looked at Kyungwon with a scrunch on her face, flashing the I can’t believe you look.

“She didn’t call me for the whole day, okay? And God knows, she might not even think of me because her mind was preoccupied with that person.”

“Yeah, probably..”

Kyungwon glares at Eunwoo, “you’re not helping, get out!”

“I don’t know what to say!”

At this point, Kyungwon’s phone starts beeping.

“OH MY GOD!! OH MY GOD!” the woman screamed and it made Eunwoo jump in her seat.

“AGH.. you startled me, why?!”

“She’s calling..” Kyungwon looks like she’s about to face death. “What do I do?! what do I do??”

“What the heck, answer it.”

“ARE YOU KIDDING ME?!”

“WHY WOULD I KID YOU? GIMME THAT!” Eunwoo snatched Kyungwon’s phone out of annoyance, “and stop shouting we’re in a café!” she ordered. Kyungwon on the other hand, looks like she’s ready to beat the crap out of Eunwoo.

“Hello~” Eunwoo answers.

“…. Eunwoo?”

“Hi Minkyung unnie~”

“Hello~ where’s Kyungwon?”

“Oh, why?” It took seconds for Eunwoo to realize it’s not her phone and she’s not in the position to ask that question. She hit her head.

“Oh, why?” Minkyung Chuckled “Eunwoo-yah”

“Mhm?” Eunwoo fidgets while Kyungwon was dying at the corner.

“Answer me honestly, okay?”

“Okay...”

“Is she avoiding me?”

Eunwoo took a deep breath.

“…. unnie, don’t do this to me..” she begs.

Minkyung laughed at the other line.

“Alright then, tell me where you are.”

 

----------

 

Kyungwon was praying to all the Gods she knew the names of when Minkyung arrived in the café.

“Kyungwon-ah” she said, settling herself in front of the two.

Kyungwon looked at her as if she’s ready to die. “Yes?”

Minkyung sighs, “Tell me, why are you avoiding me?”

Kyungwon double face-palmed. Eunwoo sips her drink loudly.

“Don’t you dare lie to me, I hate it”

Kyungwon just took a deep breath but didn’t speak.

“Are you jealous?”  

Eunwoo who seemed like she’s minding her own business chokes on her drink.

“Why are you so demanding?...” Kyungwon mumbled.

Eunwoo looked at her friend with shocked.

“Why are you like this?” Minkyung asked.

Why am I in this?? Eunwoo thought.

“Yes, I was jealous. What are you going to do about it?” says Kyungwon, lifting her head like the child she is.

“None”

“See..” Kyungwon surrenders.

“Why are you jealous?? I just met that person, and I’ve known you for years. There’s literally nothing to be jealous about.”

Yes, there is, and that’s exactly the point. We’ve known each other for years and you’re still not in love with me. Kyungwon thought, deep sighing.

“What are you thinking?” Minkyung asked suspiciously.

“I think you’re right”

“No, you don’t”

“AAA what the.. what do you want me to do?”

“Tell me the truth because it isn’t that hard, is it??” says Minkyung, clearly pissed.

The three of them look frustrated, even Eunwoo who’s trying her very best to look uninterested.

After a long pause, Minkyung managed to say something.

“Ugh, this is tiring.” she says, getting up from her seat. Kyungwon got alarmed; she doesn’t want Minkyung to leave like this. She wants to make up even though it doesn’t look like it with the way she behaves. But then, Minkyung said something that fuels their conflict.

“Talk to me when you’re not acting like a child anymore, I’m tired.” She said, leaving Kyungwon and Eunwoo shocked.

 

“I—I can’t believe she just said that…” Kyungwon says, looking like she’s having out of the body experience watching Minkyung leave.

“Well, I can..”

“I mean she used to find it cute before..” at this point, her voice is starting to croak

"People change" Eunwoo shrugged.

She then looked at Kyungwon whose tears are welling up.

“Omo!” and now it’s time for Eunwoo to get alarmed, “Hey now, don’t cry..” she said, rubbing Kyungwon’s back.

“Who’s crying”

Eunwoo sighs, “you are... here, lemme just—“ the younger woman then proceeds wiping Kyungwon’s tears with her handkerchief.

“the heck.. I thought you don’t cry easily, what is this?...” she asked.

She then pulled Kyungwon into a tight hug. “aigoo, aigoo~” she says, Kyungwon’s hair.

“Eunwoo, stop.. you’re embarrassing me.”

“people will look at me funny if I don’t comfort you.”

“people are already looking at us funny because you’re too close, and your hug is too tight I can’t breathe..” Kyungwon said, shrugging off Eunwoo but not putting enough effort to actually let go of the younger woman’s embrace.

Eunwoo then pulled her body away from Kyungwon immediately and hit the latter’s arm lightly. “Ya, how do you comfort a friend next you? by staying 10 ft. away from them? Tch”

“No, by at least letting them breathe, tch”

“TCH!”

The two glared at each other till Eunwoo couldn’t hold back her laughter anymore.

Kyungwon snorted, “what the heck..” she said.

Eunwoo looked at Kyungwon for a moment. With a reassuring smile, she reached Kyungwon’s cheek. "You’ll make up soon, don’t worry..” she said, patting it.

Kyungwon just nodded.