The Illness

Lovesick DaeUp

While hunching his morning coffee, Daehyun strolled downstairs to meet Jongup. "Good morning, hyung," he said to his visitor, gesturing the seat across the table from him. "Sleep well?" He asked. As he left the table to bring another beverage over he got the answer, "yes, how about you?" A pair of large yet gentle hands set a mug in front of him before he retreated back into his seat. After sipping his drink, he followed his gaze up along the soft arms, over the thick jumper and up to his eyes. There, his sight clasped onto another two eyes, resting deeply in round dark skin, a contrast to the pale face around it. His lips were light pink, with channels of cracks like streams leading into a river - it was evident he had not slept at all. Much to Daehyun's surprise he just answered, "just fine," accompanied with a weak smile. "Can I get you any toast hyung?" At that he nodded and eyed the man carefully as he, yet again, rose from the table. His balance seemed completely off center today as he wobbled momentarily, but in next to no time he returned with a worn out ceramic plate. He was about to slide down into his chair until he quietly cursed about forgetting the butter. His hand was quickly grabbed and restrained against the table, and as he turned to look at what his elder member was doing, Daehyun smiled and kindly but sternly whispered, "let me."

Even when walking around the perimeter of the counter, Daehyun kept a close watch on his friend and his actions. Right now his face was buried in his hands and he was breathing deeply as if he'd had just finished a race. He carefully spread the butter onto his breakfast, returned it to the fridge and ventured back to his dish again. Daehyun held up a slice of toast to Jongup as an offering but he pushed it away. "You should really eat you know," he says biting into his breakfast and gently looking at Jongup. "Not hungry, hyung. And besides it's nearly time to leave for rehearsal..." He looks down at the watch on his wrist and examines it as the seconds pass. "Best set off hadn't we?" He inquired, and they both departed from the kitchen. Toast in one of Daehyun's hands and his phone in the other.

The morning was a cold one, and mist hung in the air like clothes on a washing line. Neither of them put a jacket on since the studio was merely a block away, so they quickly tried to fight through the biting temperature. Daehyun looked to cross a main road, and his gaze caught onto the man striding beside of him. Instead of shivering and being frozen much like he was, sweat was beginning to surface on his temples and forehead. "Um, are you okay Jongup?' he whispered. He turned his head toward him and just replied "mhm" to this question before continuing to walk across the road. Through the noise of boots hitting the pavement, heavy breathing could be heard quite audibly. ~just trust what he says~ he thinks, if he were in trouble he would say so right?

Before long, the duo arrived at the practice studio as the first there. They usually arrived early to clean up together, and spent the extra half an hour sharing a hot chocolate. After the sweeping had been done, Daehyun pushed the hot chocolate to the left of him to Jongup to have a sip. He shook his head and passed it back, reaching to remove his jumper and leave his shirt. On the contrary, Daehyun was forcing his sleeves down his forearm and curving in on himself to warm up. "It's really not hot in here Jongup" he says certainly, receiving the answer after a short delay, "I am boiling hyung...." At this, Daehyun bites his lips and looks towards the clock. "Our solo practices start in a few minutes, want to go out for a little while first?" Jongup shook his head. "No thank you, hyung. " He smiled politely as he pushed himself out of the seat. "Taking the cocoa into the studio?" He asked as he departed for the studio. Hesitantly, Daehyun picked up his beverage and followed him closely behind.

He swung the door open to reveal their rehearsal space, small but adequate, and was greeted by the company trainees and backup dancers. Both of them waved to all of their team. "Shall we make a start then?" Jongup suggested, throwing his bag on the floor beside Daehyun. "Me first." He smiled.

He strolled to turn on his music and hastily made his way back to the starting position. B with energy and charisma, he performed, using Daehyun, as he always did, as the audience. The spectator noticed a couple skipped steps through the blaring tune but dismissed it as anything serious almost immediately. When the music had drawn to a termination, the dancer stood there close to breathless, and exhausted from his rehearsal. Daehyun arose, clapping playfully, as he walked towards his partner. Jongup made his way to the bench at this point too, but stumbled largely into Daehyun, whose arms were out to catch his fall. Pushing him up onto the bench, he asked if he was okay- receiving the signal to just continue as usual. Hesitantly, he walked to the speaker to switch to his song, rarely losing eye contact with his practice audience. His song played loudly and he danced and lipsynced as he usually did ,until Jongup abruptly leant forward then sprinted out if the studio. Ignoring the music and confused dancers, he rushed out after him calling his name relentlessly. "Jongup?!" He shouted barging into the bathroom, where his voice quietened to a comforting whisper. "Jongup ah? Are you okay?"

 Boots could be seen through the bottom gap of one of the stalls, and Daehyun carefully pushed this door forward to find Jongup shaking beside the toilet. He reached into his pocket for some tissues, and just as he were handing them over, Jongup hunched over the basin again. Daehyun softly rubbed his back when be was sat down next to him and spoke caringly. "If you were ill you should have said Jongup ah, " stopping while Jongup reclined against the stall's wall. "You shouldn't be practising in this state you know, " he continued. Jongup turned to him and said, "but promotions-" he leant forward indecisively before sitting up, nodding and continuing, "promotions are in two weeks hyung...I-"
"You can't tire yourself out like this. Choreographing is a large enough responsibility, forgetting the practicing as well." He gestured, "done here?"  He looked toward the bowl for a second and slowly stood up. "Woahhh no you're not walking." Daehyun said as he noticed Jongup's knees buckle after a step. "Hop on" he said, offering him a back ride.

The pair dropped by the studio to inform the dancers that rehearsal could no longer continue today, and that they ought to go home to rest, before embarking on a trip home. With every step, Daehyun's back ached with the sick member on it, but he surely managed to safely make it to the front door and inside. He dropped Jongup into his bed and pulled the covers over him, after a short struggle with him already being feverish. "It'll help, trust me." He promised, finally submerging his body in the quilt. He travelled to the kitchen to prepare some soup, and messaged the other members about what happened while  it cooked. His phone buzzed several times, alerting him that they'll visit when theyre free. After answering each message, the soup was done and he carried it to the patient. "Doctor Daehyun here" he said walking through the door, provoking a smile from him. He climbed onto the bedcovers to talk and comfort Jongup. "Sip it slowly" he advised as he did so. "Why didn't you tell me you weren't well?" He questioned. Jongup stared for a moment. "I didn't want to make you worry. You have bigger things to focus your attention on" he said sweetly, still hazing at him. He said nothing for a while, until he spontaneously went to hug him. "Thank you for looking after me hyung" he looked up. "You know I'd always do it for-" a loud knocking broke the conversation. "And the patient has guests," he said half sarcastically while he left for the door. 

Quiet murmuring could be heard from downstairs in his bedroom; a cluster of concerned voices. Soon enough, five pairs of shoes came stomping up the stares, and the members dispersed into his room. "Jongup ah!!!" They shouted, though not too roughly, as they entered. Jongup pulled away his covers and steadily brought himself to sit upright on his matress. "Are you okay hyung?" Zelo inquired. "What happened??" Youngjae demanded. Questions were hurtled left amd right at the sick member and though he put forth his most effort to tolerate the interrogation, his anger soon engulfed him. In silence he left his seat and stormed out of the room into the bathroom, witnessed by an audience of awe behind him. "I think thats enough shouting." Daehyun sternly stated, before following Jongups footsteps out of the meeting. He came to an eventual halt at the door frame, his attention particularly caught by the distressed weeping behind. "Jongup....?" He tried, to which he was aggressively told, "Go away hyung, I want to be alone" At this, he was wuite taken aback and stared at the wooden door for a second before trying again. "They just wanted to know if you were okay. They know youve been working hard! And if their care is something youre angry at then why am i taking care of you?!?" With his lips trembling in frustration, hr slid down the locked door and sat there, completely still. After a lengthy hesitation, the door opened narrowly. Surprised, Daehyun whipped around to go into the room and saw him cornered, nearly crying, next to the frame. "I dont know, hyung. Why are you looking after me?" His voice shook a little. Daehyun deposited his body beside the man and pulled him close for an embrace. "Because you're special. Not just to your family for being a blessing, not just to me and the group who are whole only with you, but also those thousands of fans inspired by you. They need you. They dont, however, need to see their muse like this." after a lack of response, Daehyun turned sideways to see Jongup resting his head on his shoulders, eyes closed and almost completely peacefully asleep. He smiled secretly. With his unclothed foot, he knocked the door shut and threw his removed jacket over him to allow him to sleep. And before he knew it, he too was asleep. 

The sun beamed through the intricately patterned window, spotlighting the couple sitting by the basin. The first to stir was Daehyun, and he seemed confused about how his evening ended in such a manner. When his understanding found him again, he immaturely blew into his friend's ear to relieve him of his sleep. "You look better." He said laughing to him. He moved his hand to brush his cheek. "Youre certainly not burning like a fire anymore!" He declared after this. Jongup smiled, and looked at his watch, which was concealed by Daehyuns hand rapidly. "no rehearsal today. lets just have you and me." He nodded. They both struggled to their feet and adjusted their clothes, then they walked down the stairs. Unexpectedly, it seemed the whole group fell asleep with each other by the television, all tangled into each other like rope. A phone screen caught Daehyuns attention, and he tiptoed over to its owner. He carefully took Youngjae's arm and crossed it over his chest, then parted the hair that had settled over his face. Then, he hesitantly relocated Himchan's foot from over the body below to the floor, to get to Yongguk's device. With gentleness, he twisted his wrist so that the screen of the phone glared at him and he attempted to read what was up. It was a text message. "Get well soon, our Jongup. Rest well tonight, you deser---" the message was never sent. He squinted to read the message timestamp and saw it was just as they fell asleep that he had begun to write this. Smiling, he turned back to Jongup, who now had the pigment in his skin back and was joyful. "So, about today, hyung?"------