Chapter 1

I'm Your Boy

Haknyeon, like every other schoolboy, hates Mondays. Specially if weekends were spent partying or having getaways with your friends or in this case Movie nights. It was one of those rare weekends where plates were submitted Friday and no pending submissions for Monday, best weekend ever. But everything good comes to an end and their glee was spoiled by surprise recitations and quizzes on Monday morning.

“Cheer up Eric” Haknyeon tried to smile a bit for his friend, bestfriend. They’re in the cafeteria which is surprisingly not so crowded and filled up their trays with loads of food. School was tough yes but it made up with good cafeteria food.

“You didn’t fail Hak you don’t understand. I wish I had the same brain as yours” The younger pouted and whined while he started playing with his lunch, still not getting his appetite back.

“I’m not that good Eric I was just lucky I was asked questions just discussed last meeting” he explained in a failed attempt to cheer the boy up. But for some reason Eric got stiff for a second, swiftly swung his head down and focused on his meal.

“I think your boy is coming thi way, 3 o’ clock”

“Wait what are y-“

“Hi! I’m Park Jihoon”

The angelic boy with blonde locks extended his hand and Haknyeon whipped his head towards the direction of the voice and stared at the said hand hanging mid-air for a good second, blinked once, then twice before he took it as he looked up transforming to the lovesick puppy that he was.

He looks amazing Haknyeon thought before he was snapped back to reality by a sudden jab on his side. Eric knows, oh god does he know how Haknyeon adores his sunbae from the fine arts department, He was his first college crush and he wouldn’t admit it but the subject or inspiration of most his portraits in monochromatic drawing classes.

 

“Uh, Yes I know H-Hi! Uhm, Im Haknyeon” he beamed and quickly looked sideways to face his best friend Eric to confirm that this was all real, but the said best friend was ignoring him and continued eating his lunch while trying to hide that -eating grin on his face because Park Jihoon was talking to him for the first time and Haknyeon’s ears were so red.

“Sorry for disturbing your lunch” Jihoon pouted not sure how to start.

“No it’s okay really!” Haknyeon nodded and offered the seat next to him and Jihoon took the invitation.

“But sunbae, is there a problem? Did we do anything?” he stammered, realizing there was no reason for a Park Jihoon to talk to a lowly Joo Haknyeon unless he did something stupid he didn’t really mean to.

“Oh no not at all!” Jihoon shook his head “It’s just that I lost a bet with my friends so I was asked a dare just now” Haknyeon nodded slowly as Jihoon motioned to another table, one Haknyeon wouldn’t dream to be in to be exact, everyone who was anyone was there. Kang Daniel Captain of the basketball team, Ong Seongwoo star of the performing arts, Hwang Minhyun president of the Music club and many more that Haknyeon’s friends for sure could clearly identify. “Anyway most of us play this game named Blade of Souls” and at the mention of the game Haknyeon’s ears perked up.

“According to them they were able to play with one of it’s top players” And Jihoon looked at him a bit strangely, pursing his lips and nodded as if waiting for him to catch on. “Yes I play too” Haknyeon nodded not really sure where this was going.

“They wanted to confirm if it was you? They said it was JeJoo, Does it ring a bell? ” Jihoon sounded unsure, mainly because the said game avatar was a female swordsman wielding 2-handed swords and although Haknyeon wielding a sword was quite the sight he was no female.

“Uhm... Yes... that’s me” he said slowly, not used to telling strangers his in-game details and he was afraid Jihoon would find him weird for using a female avatar. “Uh friends?” Haknyeon tilted his head a little bit confused, he didn’t know he had mutual friends with Jihoon until now. Then he remembers playing and socializing with some players the other night which led to mention of schools and departments and he was surprised to know some of them were his schoolmates but he never really thought about meeting up with in-game friends in real life, he has never done it before.

“OOOH!” he lit up as he realized “You mean KingDaniel and PinkSausage?!” he laughed as he mentioned the in-game names.

 “Exactly! You remember!” Jihoon exclaimed excitedly. “So it is true, one of the best in our server is studying in the same building as I am! They told me you were really good, I’m still new but I hope we can play too?”

Haknyeon nodded in understanding and he thought finally, his gaming expertise has given him a step advantage in his decaying excuse of a love life, don’t get him wrong again, Haknyeon is smart and handsome, he was just picky, or he likes to believe that it’s not yet time for it. But if he feels fate itself has presented itself as a Jihoon making the first move then time, Haknyeon is ready. “Let’s play tonight!” Haknyeon said excitedly and Eric choked a little at how obvious his best friend was. “Ok! I’ll send an invite. It’s Jeojangnim” the blonde nodded “7pm ok?! Don’t bail on me!”

“I don’t think you could have been more obvious Hak” Eric laughed.

“You’re supposed to be my best friend”

“I am”

“Shut up” he laughed as he started his long forgotten lunch only to notice Eric’s tray was already clean.

 

And true to his word he met Park Jihoon in-game and their synergy was amazing. Jihoon didn’t seem to mind that Haknyeon’s avatar was a female and Haknyeon thinks Red swordswomen and black gunslingers look good together. They fought monsters and finished quests together swiftly until their eyes couldn’t handle it anymore and they didn’t notice the time.

Jejoangnim: Oh sh*t hak it’s 12am! I have to go!

Jeojangnim: Thanks for the boost~ see you tomorrow?

JeJoo: no prob hyung!

JeJoo: Sure!

He kept his replies short, not wanting to be too obvious.

And then Jeojangnim logged out. Tonight was a good night he thought and he stretched his arms and yawned.

‘Game Server Announcement: TheSunRises has defeated the World Boss. Thank You for everyone who participated.’ A separate window appeared just before he was about to log off. “Wow that guy sure is something” he nodded. He wasn’t able to participate in the world boss thanks to one fine Fines Art student but it was all good he thought.

“Why are you still up Eric?” he asked as he noticed the room’s maknae reading a book.

“Exams tomorrow Hak remember?” he looked up at Haknyeon for a second before returning to his task at hand. “I’m surprised you even agreed to playing, you never played before exams”

“” he muttered to himself, his mouth agape. “We have an exam?!” his eyes widening in disbelief.

“Exams Hak, three” he raised three fingers as he laughed softly, not wanting to wake up the other two sleeping hyungs. “Was it worth it though?” he teased.

The older was already scrambling through his notes and books when he was asked and he raised his head for a second to answer.

“Definitely”

 

 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sorry It took so long >< This is somewhat an introduction and Sunwoo (or just sunwoo's in-game name) is only mentioned here, more of him on the next chap! I focused on this little background on Haknyeon and Jihoon first ^^