What Rabbit?

What Rabbit?

WHAT RABBIT?

*****

“He’s scared of girls,” most would say while others, “He’s cold-hearted, that’s what he is,” but no matter what people would see him as when it comes to his romantic life, there’s one thing they don’t know and that thing is one he has not shared, not to his parents, not to their managers, not to his fans, not even to his hyungs. And that is his growing affection for a certain someone.

Yes, he may seem like he really doesn’t care about relationships because he’s too busy with all their group’s schedules and all but that doesn’t mean he doesn’t give about the opposite . In fact, he has caught himself checking out a few of their female fans. There was even one time where he looked up one on social media after falling for her cuteness back at one of their fanmeetings but that happened a long time ago, during their ‘Just One Day’ promotions perhaps, because now, although he still does admire beautiful women once in a while, he’s mostly just drawn to one girl- one special girl that never fails to capture his eyes whenever she’s around.

He remembers clearly the first time they met. It was during their promotions together for SMART uniform. He and his hyungs arrived later than her group so it was a given fact that she, along with her members, were already dressed up in the gray uniform, ready for the shoot. That was when he found out about how she matched his ideal girl perfectly.

She had brown hair then, but he still found her pretty in it despite preferring her naturally ebony black hair which compliments her porcelain skin and pink lips perfectly. If he’s correct, it was around their time for promoting their song ‘Rough’ when they met. That was when their group began to gain more recognition and honestly, that was also when he just started to really acknowledge their presence in the music industry. Yes, he’s listened to ‘Me Gustas Tu’ but he didn’t really click with the song. He just admired it for the powerful dancing and the onstage slipping incident. He’s not one for cutesy songs after all so he reckons it might be his smitten heart that caused him to listen to not only ‘Me Gustas Tu’ but the group’s entire discography at that. He even found himself ordering all versions of their albums online so as to keep his hyungs from finding out.

He smiled as the memory of him sneaking out to accept the package which he specifically ordered to be delivered a few blocks away from their previous dormitory. He was playing video games with his hyungs then when he received a text message informing him of his arriving order. He swore he felt so nervous that the only excuse he came up with was that he needs to pee only to go out of the dorm, leaving his hyungs for around half an hour as he ran to retrieve his package and back. He was sweaty when he returned but he knows it was worth it especially when out of the five albums he ordered, four of them contained her photocard. If that isn’t fate, then he doesn’t know what else to call it.

Fast forward, a few months from where they first met is the time he first talked to her. That was during their special performance for KBS’ year-end festival. The two of them, along with other 97’ liners had to perform a song together in celebration of them turning legal that year. He recalls how excited he felt when he heard of the news. He found it hard to believe that he’ll be meeting her again. Plus, he’ll be singing a few lines with her, just the two of them. It isn’t much compared to the other collaborations she’s done with other male artists but for him, it was more than enough considering that both their groups have been instructed not to interact so much with each other to lessen the controversies circulating on the internet.

It was during rehearsals when she approached him. He never saw her as the sociable one, so it wasn’t a wonder for him when she acted all timid and somehow uncertain with herself as she asked him to practice harmonizing.

He swore his heart fluttered when she smiled at him awkwardly after successfully asking him for practice to which he agreed, not because he thinks they need better harmonization but because he just wants to keep her to himself for longer.

He was grateful at how slowly time seemed to have moved then. Their twenty minutes of trying to sound the best they can at the few lines they were supposed to sing together felt like eternity and it was, by far, the most cherished moment of his once loveless life.

“Beautiful,” he remembered telling her and she smiled despite not knowing that the compliment was meant for her and not for their perfect harmonization. Back then, he wished for her to see through him and understand the real meaning behind his words for he wants her to find out of the feelings he has kept hidden as he is too much of a coward to confess them.

“Jungkook-sunbae!” she called him out right after their performance, “Good job!”

He remembers giving her his widest smile upon hearing her praise. The words were simple. He hears them too often, from his hyungs, their managers, and the rest of the staffs but coming from her, the most common greeting felt like music to his ears. He felt like being complimented by an angel.

Well, she basically is his angel if he really thinks about it. She’s his Heaven here on earth and after months of being away from Seoul for their world tour, he’s finally getting the chance to see her again and he owes it all to their Bang PD-nim.

*****

“Has anyone seen my gift? It’s the small red box with a black velvet bow on top,” Namjoon asked the others sitting on the back of the van as they approached the hotel venue where their producer is holding his forty-third birthday party.

“Was that the one sitting on top of the kitchen counter?” Hoseok answered with a question of his own. He was not certain if they were talking of the same box or if the one he saw that was left back at the dorm was meant for something else.

“.”

“Watch your mouth, Namjoon,” Jin reprimanded their leader who was now going frantic for out of everything that he could forget, it just had to be his gift for their producer. And there he was already getting excited to see his face when he finds out that he bought him that overly-priced watch he badly wanted.

“So that was yours…” Yoongi spoke as he rolled his earphones neatly before shoving them into the inside pocket of his tuxedo and yes, he is wearing a tuxedo, mostly just to look presentable in front of their producer’s guest and a little because the other members won’t stop bugging him unless he changes the plain black button-up he wore at first along with a pair of his black ripped jeans.

“Did you bring it with you?” Namjoon asked, hoping that the older member did but when he was met with a shake of the head, that’s when he reckoned how doomed this night will be for him.

“Relax. It’s not like you won’t see Bang PD-nim tomorrow. You can give him the gift then,” Jin said, with a reassuring tone as he bent over his seat to pat their leader’s back that seemed to have stiffened at the thought of arriving at the party, gift-less.

“Your presence as his beloved student will matter more than the present you have for him,” Hoseok asserted and somehow, Namjoon found himself calming down a little. There was still apprehension in his mind but as he told himself of the things he heard s said, slowly, his disturbing thoughts lessened.

“Hoseok’s right. Besides, what’s funnier is Taehyung showing up with his bonsai for Bang PD-nim,” Jin teased as he pointed at the pot of plant sitting at the back of the van, beside its owner who hugged it in defense.

“Hey! This plant is special. I grew it myself.”

Laughter erupted inside the van upon hearing Taehyung justify his weird gift for their producer. However, amidst all the fun sat Jungkook, fidgety and nervous.

Yes, he was excited to greet their Bang PD-nim but what got him even more thrilled (and anxious) to be here is the presence of the group he wanted to see so desperately. There, written on the guest list is no other than his favorite girl group, GFriend, along with their CEO who also happens to be Bang PD-nim’s closest friend.

“Something up?” Jimin asked their maknae when he noticed the difference in his demeanor for tonight. It was as if something is bothering him and Jimin knows it’s unusual for Jungkook to act this way as he always has that calm aura around him, “You don’t look well,” he added but Jungkook just smiled weakly and waved off a hand.

“I’m fine. Just thinking about whether PD-nim would like my gift or not.”

“Are you kidding me? There’s no way in hell he won’t like it. Even I like what you got for him.”

Jungkook widened his smile. He has to give it to his Jimin-hyung for always knowing how to comfort him. He’s like his personal stress-reliever.

“Thanks, hyung,” he said and the older held up his thumb and broke into a huge grin.

“Making our maknae happy is one of my purposes in life.”

Jungkook decided to set aside all his excitement and nervousness for later as he acted disgusted at the cheesiness of his hyung, earning him a smack on the head to which he simply laughed at.

“Woah! Bang PD-nim really went all out this year,” Hosoek exclaimed all of a sudden as he stuck his face near the window to gape at the hotel that’s slowly getting larger and larger as they neared it.

The place was one of the well-known five-star hotels in Seoul and it houses the biggest ballroom where huge events are often held. If the members heard right, it is the same place where the country’s president held his victory party upon winning the previous election.

“This place is massive,” Jin commented as he, too, stared at the tower only a few meters away from where they were.

“And not to mention a hell lot expensive,” Yoongi added. Even he couldn’t help but be amazed at how extravagant their producer’s party is. It was a complete upgrade from last year’s simple get-together at a local steak house. They never knew their Bang PD-nim also has the fancy side of him until they received the velvety invitation streaked with golden embroideries a week ago.

“We’re still not inside but I know I’m already going to have lots of fun meeting new people,” Taehyung said, his giddiness showing through his face as he jumped up and down his seat.

“I came mostly for the drinks,” Jimin said and the others laughed despite him being serious with what he said but he dared not to point it out.

“I came to share my handsome looks to all of Bang PD-nim’s guests,” the eldest and most confident one in the group further made a comment before he blew the members his infamous flying kiss which caused them to simultaneously roll their eyes. If there was one thing their Jin-hyung would never forget, it would have to be the part where he shows off his looks, his major asset, as he once quoted.

There were a few more statements that came after, telling the reason why they came but Jungkook was no longer interested in listening to all of them. In his mind, he was already feeling the excitement bubbling, growing more and more as they reach closer to their destination.

He knows he shouldn’t get this worked up especially when there’s a ninety-nine percent chance that he won’t even get the chance to talk to her but there’s still this part in him that’s telling him otherwise. Who knows? Maybe destiny has something up for him. Maybe tonight will be different.

*****

The seven of them were known to be global superstars now but even with such a huge title given to them, they still could not help but stare in awe at whatever luxurious places they step into. This includes Seoul’s Grand Hyatt Hotel a place never in their wildest dreams did they dream of stepping foot into.

“I still don’t believe we’re really here and that it is Bang PD-nim’s birthday party that’s being held inside,” Hoseok whispered to Jungkook who was beside him as they stopped to get their pictures taken. They were still at the hotel’s main lounge so the number of cameras waiting to take a hundred photos of them doing the same pose were still too many to count.

“You better believe it, hyung,” the maknae whispered back before putting on his best smile for the camera that was aimed at them. Jungkook was nowhere near calm especially when he knows the object of his affection is just right through the door to the ballroom but he’s aware that he shouldn’t make himself obvious, especially when too many eyes are watching him, observing and judging his their every move.

“This way guys,” their manager said as he guided them toward the entrance of the gigantic hall where people were already gathered. Some had bundled in groups, talking with a glass of alcohol in their hand. Others were seated, enjoying the food served in the buffet table.

It wasn’t Jungkook’s intention to look for her, but his guts overpowered his mind so that now, he found himself searching through the crowd for a certain black-haired beauty.

“Jungkookie, Jin-hyung and I are getting food. Do you want to come with us?”

Jungkook snapped out from his little search and turned to face his Jimin-hyung who, he did not notice, was already a few feet away with their group’s oldest member beside him. He was too focused on looking for a certain someone that he didn’t even made note of the fact that the four other members have already dispersed to who knows where.

He jogged toward the remaining two who took it to themselves to look after him and not leave him behind for they know he’s nothing but a lost child without any of them in this sea of people. He may have teased and made fun of both of them every now and then but still, they care for him like they would to a real brother. They make sure he’s given enough attention, enough to spoil him at times.

“Don’t wander around too much,” Jin told him as soon as he started walking alongside them. He allowed his hyung to hold his wrist as they inched their way across the huge room and toward the table where all the food lay.

“The last thing we need is a lost bunny,” Jimin joked as he reached up to rub Jungkook’s hair. The latter flashed his hyung a huge smile before he placed an arm over his shoulder and dragged him to his side.

“There will be no lost bunny tonight,” he said but continued in his mind as he, from afar, finally caught glimpse of the black hair he’s been wanting to see since forever, “Just a lucky bunny is all there will be.”

*****

Jungkook was in the middle of shoving another spoonful of tiramisu into his widely-opened mouth when the music of the hall silenced, and the soft screeching of a microphone resonated throughout the place.

“Is this thing on already?” the person onstage asked, unmindful of the eyes that already fell on him, “It is? Oh, sorry.”

He turned to face the audience and smiled greatly when he saw that everyone of his guests were now looking at him, waiting for whatever it is the birthday celebrant has to say. Thus, he cleared his throat and fixed his tie before holding the microphone near his mouth after taking a deep breath.

“Wow,” was his first word, coupled by his amazement at the huge number of people gathered tonight to celebrate his day of birth with him. In South Korea, they normally age together as the New Year comes but for Bang Shi Hyuk, his birthday, as in the actual day of the year when he first breathed the air of the world, would always be special. It will always remind him of the struggle his mother has to go through just to push his fat out of her womb. Hence, he really did organize this event not for him but for her who was seated on the table nearest to the stage.

He looked at the said woman, dressed in an elegant shade of royal blue, and grinned, “I wasn’t expecting so many of you to come. I honestly just thought of people whom I might know and asked my secretary to send invitations, not minding if they’ll even read it or not but…Wow!”

His expression, a combination of incredulity and bliss, drawn out a laugh from the crowd and he shied away for a second to hide the redness of his cheek before he continued, not wanting to prolong his time in front, “Really though…I thank you all for being here tonight to celebrate with me especially my loving mother who really gave up her knitting class just for me. I’ll tell you. Forty-three is not an easy age to reach with all the pizzas, cakes, and hamburgers available for such low prices.”

Again, the people chortled at the producer’s humorous speech and it was a moment before he gained their attention back to him.

“Kidding aside. I do mean it. Thank you, from the bottom of my heart. All the messages I received, all the presents, all the personal greetings, I really do cherish them. And to my boys…” He took a deep breath and scanned the crowd for his beloved group of hardworking idols. When he saw that they were divided as three were eating at a table, one was talking to a famous business tycoon (only Heaven knows what they could be talking about), and the remaining three were with another music producer, Bang Shi Hyuk turned to them one by one with a proud look of a dad etched on his face, “You all are part of the reason why I’m here, celebrating. You guys made most of my years as a producer memorable. So, I’d like to specially thank the seven of you for never giving up on your dreams and for trusting in me. I hope that someday, when I celebrate my fiftieth or even sixtieth birthday, I would still find you guys intact and successful. I want to also see you live your lives happily in the future. Produce music. Sing. Rap. Perform. Date. Marry. And most of all, have kids and name the after me.”

For the third time around, the crowd reacted to the celebrant’s sense of humor even after growing emotional, hearing such touching words.

“Do all that you think will make you happy. As I once said to which you made fun of me for being so nerdy, ‘Life is like the law of inertia. It will remain at rest unless you act on it.’ That is why I want you to move and follow whatever your heart tells you because over time, you’ll see the greatness of the fruits you’ll reap. The same goes to all of you. That’s why I would like to make a highlight of this night by making a toast, not only for me but to all of you as well…but I forgot to bring a glass with me so just imagine that I have one right here in my hand.”

A staff quietly rushed to the stage, holding a glass of red wine, and approached the producer.

“Oh, here it is,” Shi Hyuk said, accepting the glass with a grateful smile at the boy. He turned to face the audience once more and raised his glass, “Cheers to every one of us and our joyful futures ahead!”

“Cheers!” all in the room exclaimed as they, too, raised their glass before clanking them with those of their tablemates or to the people nearest to them.

“Good evening everybody and may you enjoy the rest of the night!” Shi Hyuk concluded his speech before his group’s song, DNA, began to play in the background.

*****

“Bang PD-nim told us to do whatever it is that makes us happy, right?” Jimin asked his two companions. The younger simply nodded while the older frowned. Jin knew where the boy was going with his words anyway.

“Don’t drink too much.”

“Yes, dad,” Jimin said to his hyung before he stood up from his seat and went over to the table where all the wines and other alcohols were displayed.

“I’m prohibiting you from drinking,” Jin told the only person left with him. Their maknae even with his perfectness in everything was unfortunately not blessed enough to handle alcohol. Thus, he’s making sure he gets none of it for tonight especially when they’re in this huge crowd where any news of them gets spread so easily.

“Don’t worry, hyung. I’m not getting drunk tonight,” Jungkook replied as he continued in his head, “I’ve got other plans.”

The older guy nodded approvingly before he placed another piece of macaron into his mouth. “Daatch gwwud,” he said with his mouth still full.

“I think I’ll need to use the restroom first or else my bladder will explode.”

Jin was too busy munching on his cream-filled cookie that the only sign of consent he could give was a thumbs-up.

Jungkook grinned before he excused himself from his hyung and made his way, not to the direction of the restroom as he said he was supposed to go to. Rather, he took a left and hid himself a little behind a group of people chatting over some ski resort they could visit in the holidays.

He made himself invisible in the crowd before he sneaked a peek at the table where he saw her a while ago. Unfortunately, he was not expecting what he saw.

There, in the table sits GFriend, but there were only three of them. She, her best friend, and their Yerin-unnie was nowhere to be found.

“So much for my luck,” Jungkook whispered to himself as he scanned the area for the missing girls. It didn’t take long for him to see the oldest of the three, talking with Taehyung as she examined the plant he brought as a gift, but she was not who he’s looking for, so he searched again.

He found Eunha, a few minutes after. She was seated in the table which he left a while ago and from what he could see from where he was standing, the girl was having a good time with his hyungs. She was laughing with Jimin as they listened to probably one of Jin’s dad jokes.

Beginning to grow worried at the whereabouts of the girl he’s really looking for, he turned to their group’s table to check once more but she was still not there.

“Where is that woman?” he mumbled under his breath. It is really not him to rely solely on instincts but currently, he’s left with no other choice but to do so. Hence, he followed what his mind is telling him and that is to go out of the hall. He doesn’t know why he feels like she’s not in the room but there’s this strong sense in him that says it’s the truth and he figured it wouldn’t be so bad to hear it out anyway.

Jungkook slipped past the people as he made his way toward the exit. He was about to finally walk through the door when he felt a hand grab his wrist. He turned, thinking it is her. Haplessly, it was his Namjoon-hyung.

“Where are you going?” the leader asked, looking curious as he knows that their maknae rarely spends time in a party by himself.

“The room is getting stuffy, I was just about to get some fresh air,” he said. It wasn’t entirely a lie as he did feel slightly uncomfortable at the amount of people inside but when his real purpose of going out is taken into consideration, he really is deceiving his hyung.

Hesitation clouded Namjoon’s mind for a short time before he nodded and let go of Jungkook’s wrist. “Don’t take so long.”

“I’ll be back before you know it,” Jungkook replied, yet again lying. If she’s really outside and if he does get the chance to talk to her, he’s not sure if he even wants to go back inside the party hall.

Namjoon gave their maknae a gentle pat on the back before he excused himself to talk to another one of the producers he wanted to work with.

Jungkook didn’t know he was holding his breath until he released it in one long exhale. It wasn’t his intention to lie but he knows he can’t afford to let his hyungs know of his growing affection for a girl yet. He knows they do need to know sooner or later and he does plan on telling them, but he promised himself that he won’t do such a thing unless he gets the chance to talk to her. Unless, he gains a step up his game, he’s telling no one of his little crush.

*****

Jungkook has no idea why his feet brought him here. All he knows is that this is where his mind is telling him to go.

The hotel’s exclusive ice skating rink was empty when he finally reached its premise. It was close for the night for reasons he does not know and for sure, no person would dare to be here especially with the all the lights turned off, giving the place a creepy vibe to it.

Jungkook felt goosebumps tickling his skin as he walked along the side of the rink. He wasn’t one to get scared easily but the darkness, coupled by the chilly night air, really did make him feel like he’s in a horror movie, with someone watching his every move. Not to mention the fact that he could hear someone sobbing not far from where he is.

He continued to tread the path leading to the corner of the rink when it sank in to him, what he just heard, and he swore he felt his heartbeat quicken and his mind went blank for a second.

As if in slow motion, he turned his head to the direction where the crying was coming from and he honestly was not expecting what he is seeing.

There, a few feet from him, is a girl, around his age with her hair covering most of her face. She was wearing a lacy white dress that flowed out from her form as she sat on the ground. Her sobs were muffled but it was loud enough for him to hear.

Gradually, he retraced his steps and decided to ask the girl what’s wrong, putting aside the thought that she may be some lost spirit haunting the area.

“Miss?” he called out, being careful not to scare her, “Is something wrong?”

There was no reply from the girl and right then, he felt assured that what he’s seeing is really just a ghost. He was about to make a run for it and save his unfortunate when the said ghost looked up to meet his gaze.

If he could only punch himself for being stupid and not feel hurt, he would do it. Of course. He asked himself how he failed to notice that it was her all along- the long black hair, the white skin than glistened in the moonlight, the tall stature. Everything screams Choi Yuna and he did not get it right away.

“Can I help you?” Yuna, or as she likes to be called Yuju, asked, her eyes b with tears that Jungkook wanted to desperately wipe away himself, but he saved that idea for later. Instead, he took the few remaining steps that separated him from her and he chuckled.

“I should be asking you that. You’re the one crying.”

“Crying? I’m not crying,” she said before a hiccup escaped her lips and that’s when Jungkook took notice of the redness of her cheeks and the fact that she was holding an opened bottle of whisky in one of her hands.

Jungkook scrunched his brow and leaned in closer to assure himself that he wasn’t imagining things. “Are you drunk?”

Yuju hiccup once more before she gave her newly-found companion a lopsided grin. “No. I’m not drunk. I’m Yuju. It’s nice to meet you.”

“Yep. You’re definitely drunk,” Jungkook stated as he sat on his knees in front of her and reached over to grab the bottle from her hand but before he could even do so, she held it close to her while she pointed at him with her free hand, shaky and obviously unaware of what she’s doing.

“And you’re stupid,” she accused him before she laughed to herself, “I already told you. I’m Yuju. Yu. Ju. Y-U-J-U. Yuju. I’m not drunk.”

Jungkook failed to resist the urge to hit himself in the forehead. A drunk and stupid Yuju was not what he was expecting when he asked the Heavens for their paths to cross tonight. He guessed fate has a sense of humor for making him deal with this situation. He’s not complaining though. At least, he gets to talk to her even if she’s not entirely sane as of the moment.

“You’ve had enough,” he told her before he quickly grabbed hold of the bottle she was holding.

“No!” she wailed as she fought to prevent him from stealing her drink but Jungkook was desperate. He knows Yuju has too much alcohol in her system already. Any more and she’ll pass out so the best thing he could do is to stop her from further drinking. The last thing he wants is to carry her unconscious form back inside and explain to her manager how he found her.

“You’re…drunk!” he said as he finally succeeded in taking away the whisky from her hand.

Yuju thrashed a little and tried to steal it back but he held it away from her and stopped her from further reaching out. She was leaning so close to him the he felt himself getting sweaty despite the coldness of the night’s breeze. Never has he been this close to her that he could even smell the perfume she had on or the scent of her hair which was a hundred percent vanilla. He knows because he’s encountered this smell on his mom before.

“Let me drink, please,” she begged but Jungkook was taking none of it. “I want to forget,” she added, her voice suddenly losing enthusiasm as she lowered her head and rested it on his chest while she reached both her hands to clutch the fabric of his shirt.

Yuju began to sob and Jungkook’s mind began to grow frantic. He’s never dealt with a crying girl before, so he has no idea on what to do. Thus, he simply went with his instinct and gradually gave her soft pats on the back.

“Shhh…” he hushed albeit still uncertain if what he’s doing is right, “It’s okay.”

“I want to forget,” she repeated. “Even just for tonight, I want to free mind from remembering.”

When Jungkook wished for him to meet her tonight, he also did not say he wanted to see her cry. It was her smile he badly missed, her gleeful expression that seems to tell him how problem-free her life is. It turns out what his mom said was right. One really can’t tell a person’s emotions from what he or she is showing to others. There’s always that something deeper inside. And for now, Jungkook took it upon himself to ease Yuju of whatever pain it is she is going through. They may not be close to each other and she may not remember him when she regains full consciousness tomorrow but at least, he’ll have this memory of the both of them spending time together, just the two of them. That is enough for him.

“Do you mind if I ask?” he questioned, and she looked up to meet his soft gaze, not bothering to answer, so he took her silence as a cue for him to go on. “What is it that you want to forget?”

Yuju looked like she was about to bawl her eyes out once more, but she managed to suppress the tears and answer in a low voice, “His death.”

The words Jungkook prepared slipped past his mind upon hearing her reason for crying and he asked himself, “Did she have a lover who died just recently?”

Jungkook knows it’s not right to curse at the dead but somehow, he can’t help but loathe the idea of another guy other than him, spending time with Yuju. She even looks like she really loves him, and he has to admit. He felt a pang in his chest at what she said. Thus, even if he knows it’ll hurt him more, he still manned up and asked further, “Whose death?”

He could see the hesitation in Yuju’s eyes at his question and he was about to take it back when she answered, “Dongjoo.”

“Oh,” was all he could say. He reckoned he really was delusional when he thought he has a chance with GFriend’s main vocalist. She was pretty, talented, and every man’s dream girl. Of course, some other guy made his move on her. The only unfortunate thing is how he left her, longing for him who could never be with her again and Jungkook wished. He wished to all the stars present tonight that she would allow him to be there for her instead.

“I loved him, you know,” Yuju whispered before she broke away from his embrace and sat straight to look up at the night sky, “He was such a sweetheart.”

Jungkook doesn’t like to hate someone who’s already dead but right now, that is exactly what he’s feeling. And he tells himself that had he been the one to steal Yuju’s heart first, he would never leave her and make her feel miserable.

“That’s…sad to hear,” he commented but his heart wasn’t fully into it.

“I wish I could’ve spent more time with him. I missed patting his head. I missed tickling his sides. I even miss kissing him.”

The last one was like a bullet to Jungkook’s heart. He felt like he no longer wants to hear more of it, but he knows that if he leaves now, Yuju would be all alone, sad and grieving so, despite being hurt, he knows he can’t go anywhere else. He has to be by her side to comfort her, to give her assurance that everything will be okay.

“It must be hard,” he told her as he turned to look at her and almost on fate’s notice, she, too, looked at him and they both got lost in each other’s eyes for a second before Yuju broke the contact with another sob.

“I feel like I want to die myself,” she said, tears beginning to form in the corner for her eyes again but right before they would roll down her cheeks, Jungkook grabbed both her hands and held it tightly in his, not caring if he’s invading her personal space or not.

“Don’t say that. Think positively. Dongjoo’s probably walking alongside God in Heaven now.”

He wasn’t sure if there was something funny with what he said but he swore he heard Yuju chuckle before she replied, “Hopping, actually. Dongjoo doesn’t walk. He hops.”

“What?”

“Dongjoo hops to get to places. He doesn’t walk like humans do,” she said with a giggle.

Jungkook’s jaw drop. If what he’s thinking is correct, then he’s been getting emotional for her for the wrong reason all this time. “Dongjoo is…”

“My pet rabbit.”

“,” he cussed when he realized how mistaken he has been. He wanted to bump his head on the tree to try and remove his stupidity. There he was acting jealous when Yuju was talking about a damn rabbit all along.

“Wait. Let me get this straight. You mean to say Dongjoo isn’t a person but a rabbit?” he clarified and when Yuju nodded, he allowed himself to hit his forehead for the second time tonight.

“You have got to be kidding me,” he muttered under his breath before he began to hear Yuju’s sobs again. Hurriedly, he looked at her with worry and squeezed her hand that he was still holding, “What’s wrong now?” he asked.

She shook her head and continued to sob, “Now that I think about it, hearing his name just makes me miss him more.”

“I’m sorry,” he told her. He didn’t intend to awaken the sadness she was hiding. He just wanted her to let everything out. Even after knowing that it wasn’t a person she was referring to with her statement, he still couldn’t help but feel bad for her. Losing a pet also isn’t easy. He knows because he’s had a dog he loved so much before whom he lost to old age. He could still remember how he cried for nights then. He was so disheartened that he never allowed his parents to adopt a new dog because he thinks it’s being disrespectful to his Haechi.

“I really miss him. I miss him so much. I wish I could spend time with him again, even just for tonight.”

Jungkook stayed quiet. He knows there was nothing he could do to grant her wish. He is no God. He could only do so much so when an idea popped in his head, no matter how silly it seemed, he opened it up to her.

“Hey,” he called out and she looked up to meet his gaze, “How about having me as your rabbit for tonight instead?”

Yuju blinked, “What do you mean?”

“I am a rabbit myself after all so what do you say? Can I be Dongjoo for tonight?”

There was a glint in Yuju’s eyes at his offer before a huge grin broke out of her face and she nodded while clapping excitedly.

“That’s a great idea!” she exclaimed.

“Well, then,” he began, letting go of her hands to begin his quest in pleasing Yuju, “What does Dongjoo like to do?”

“He likes to hop around,” she answered in a flash.

Jungkook debated at first but when he saw the hopeful look in her face, he sighed before standing up. Oh, the things he’d do for her…

“Hop high, okay? Dongjoo hops very high,” she instructed, emphasizing how high by making a gesture with her hands before a giggle and a hiccup escaped her lips.

Jungkook put on an apologetic look for himself. He almost forgot it’s a drunk person he’s dealing with.

Slowly at first, Jungkook began to hop with his hands folded a little in front of him to mimic that of a bunny’s form.

Yuju clapped as she laughed in amusement and he swore he’ll come to regret all these tomorrow. He just hopes she remembers none of tonight’s happenings.

“He also chews his food cutely as well,” she yelled over to him. It took him a second to debate on whether to go along or to stop this stupidity but when he saw the sparkle in her eyes as she watched him put on a show, he knows he should continue. Seeing her happy because of him is what he desires most after all. That’s how it is when you like someone, right?

“Like this?” he said, acting like a bunny chewing food in his mouth, but instead of further taking glee in him, he found Yuju’s eyes shifting to sadness all over again, so he stopped hopping and asked, “What’s wrong now?”

She wiped the tears from her face and looked up at him with a longing expression, “I just remembered how I also miss rubbing Dongjoo’s belly. He always loves it when I tickle his tummy.”

Jungkook’s face was struck with horror and he slowly eyed his stomach as he questioned himself, “Are you really going that far, Jungkook?”

Yuju’s sobs did not fail to reach his ears again and he rolled his eyes. He knows very well the answer to that.

“Oh, it,” he mumbled before he got down on the ground and rolled on his back, just close enough for her to reach.

“What are you doing?”

“Asking for a belly rub.”

Yuju squealed at the idea, now back to being giddy, before she bent over to tickle his sides but when she laid hands on his stomach, she stopped and pouted, “Your tummy isn’t as soft as Dongjoo’s. It’s rock hard.”

Right, Jungkook forgot about his abs for a minute there.

He sat back up and threw her an apologetic look, “Sorry. I failed to mention that this rabbit likes to go to the gym.”

She giggled in her drunken state and inched herself closer to him to which Jungkook felt his heart skip a beat.

“I never heard of rabbits who goes to the gym before,” she said.

“Well you have now,” he replied.

There was a fleeting silence between them before Yuju decided to catch Jungkook by surprise as she leaned in and lessened the distance that separated their faces as she cupped his with her hands.

He felt his stomach clench and his breath hitch. Never did he expect to be this close to her before and to say that he’s not enjoying the proximity would be a lie for he obviously is satisfied with their current position. Any further and their lips might just meet. His dreams would finally become a reality.

“I miss cuddling with Dongjoo,” she breathed, giving him a scent of the whisky she downed not long ago, “I miss the feel of his cute nose on mine,” she continued before she rubbed her nose with his as if she was reenacting the scene of her playing with her pet rabbit.

When she was done, she did not bother to lean away. She stayed there, staring intensely at him which made the latter feel uncomfortable. Her eyes were too captivating and the way her hot breath tickled his face further worsened the situation. Not to mention the fact that her lips were just inches away from his. All he needed to do is lean a little bit closer and they’d be kissing then but he knows it’s wrong for him to steal a kiss from a drunk girl. It’s taking advantage of her vulnerability and he doesn’t like doing that. Yes, he badly wants to taste her lips, but he knows that he should do it properly. He wants her to also feel the moment and he knows she can’t do that now because she’s drunk.

“You know what I miss from Dongjoo the most?” she whispered to him, her voice unintentionally sounding so seductive to his ears that he found himself gulping the lump that formed in his throat.

“W-what?”

“His kisses,” she answered. She didn’t give enough time for him to react because before he knew it, her lips were already on his, kissing him.

Jungkook is well aware that the best thing he should do is to push her away but a bigger part of him made him do otherwise. Instead of stopping her, he found himself returning the kiss and fervently at that. He no longer bothered to think if he’s taking advantage of the fact that she’s drunk because in his head, he’s telling himself that he didn’t do anything wrong. Yuju initiated the kiss. He was simply returning the favor.

He lost count of how long they were eating each other’s lips, but he knew it lasted for more than a minute as they were both panting and gasping for air when they broke the kiss.

A huge grin appeared on his face as he failed to contain his overleaping joy. He expected drunk Yuju to change her mood again but when he saw how she reciprocated his expression, he felt a hundred times better and he told himself how tonight, so far, is his best night.

“You kiss way better than Dongjoo,” she said with tired and weary eyes and right before Jungkook could utter a reply, she collapsed in his arms, already asleep but still smiling.

*****

“She’s drunk,” Jungkook stated the obvious toward the rest of the GFriend and BTS members who stared with worry at the girl, passed out on the bench.

“You also drank, didn’t you?” Jin said, pointing his index finger at their maknae who stood dumbfounded.

“Me?”

“Yes, you. I mean look at your face. It’s still flushed so don’t you dare lie to me.”

Jungkook reached to cup his face. It was indeed still heated after he shared the kiss with Yuju. He didn’t know she could have such a lasting effect on him.

“A-ah…sorry.”

Lying became his go-to option tonight and he swore the guilt is eating him up. He’s always been honest with the rest of the members before. He never kept anything from them. Well, anything except his liking for Yuju, that is.

Jin dramatically clutched his chest with his hand and said, “I’m hurt. Jungkookie didn’t listen to me.”

“He never listens to any of us, hyung,” Hoseok pointed out to which the older immediately agreed.

“Anyway, thanks for looking out for our Yuju tonight, Jungkook-ssi,” Sowon said as she gave BTS’ maknae a grateful smile.

Jungkook returned the gesture and replied, “It’s no problem. She wasn’t much of a hassle.”

That obviously is also a lie considering all the humiliating things that happened to him because of her but he’s keeping that to himself for now.

“Did she do anything out of the ordinary though?” Yerin butted in on the conversation as she threw Yuju a glance, “She gets weirder when she’s drunk.”

“If kissing me fits the definition of weird then yes. She did,” he replied in his head before opting to shrug in reality, “She just cried.”

“Typical,” Sowon commented while Yerin bobbed her head in agreement. The former was about to ask something further when she heard their manager call them out so instead of prying more into what happened, she just looked at Jungkook with hopeful eyes and requested, “Can you please help carry our Yuju. I think manager-nim had a few glasses of alcohol himself. That is if you don’t mind me asking.”

Jungkook desperately tried to hide the smile that threatened to creep to his face. The thought of him carrying Yuju in his arms was more than what he hoped to happen for tonight. Indeed, the Heavens heard him out.

“Sure.”

*****

“Thank you so much, Jungkook-ssi. I hope Yuju didn’t bother you too much tonight,” Sowon thanked BTS’ maknae for the nth time, bowing constantly at the said boy who just waved his hand to dismiss the overflowing gratitude given to him when he, in fact, doesn’t deserve it after what happened between Yuju and him back at the skating rink.

“It’s really no problem,” he said as he stepped aside to let his noona enter the car, “She was tolerable although I’ve been meaning to ask you something.”

“Ask away,” Sowon said, signaling their manager to hold on for a minute longer.

Jungkook rolled his tongue inside his cheek and rubbed the nape of his neck. He’s not sure if he should ask but curiosity was killing him, so he really doesn’t have much of a choice.

“Does Yuju have a pet rabbit?” he questioned.

“Rabbit?” Sowon mumbled while tilting her chin up to think, “Not that I can think of, no.”

This caused Jungkook’s forehead to crease and he grew more and more intrigued, “Its name is Dongjoo and she told me it recently died.”

 “Dongjoo…” she whispered before turning to face the other members, “Does anyone know of a rabbit named Dongjoo?”

It was SinB who answered, “Oh! Dongjoo! You mean the brown rabbit of our neighboring unit that’s caged near their doorstep?”

Sowon looked at the BTS member once more and saw that his expression worsened. Even more, he grew confused.

“So, you mean to say she doesn’t own Dongjoo?”

Unnie doesn’t own a pet and the rabbit’s not dead yet, for your information,” SinB replied, peeking out through the van’s window.

“She talked about the rabbit?” Sowon questioned which made Jungkook nod innocently.

“She said it died and that she misses it.”

“That’s weird,” SinB muttered, making the two to look at her with quizzical gazes, “That rabbit hated her, and she hated it back. She even said once that she wishes for it to die.”

Jungkook thinned his lips as he stared wide eye at nowhere particular. He realized that he just made a fool of himself, hopping and playing as a rabbit which turns out to be one that Yuju loathes. And there he was empathizing with her, thinking she, too, had to go through the pain of losing a pet. It’s not that he regretted tonight though. He may have humiliated himself, but she was drunk anyway so she probably won’t remember a thing that happened although he does hope for her to recall even just a bit of their kiss. Then, he’d have an easier time dealing with her and his feelings once they meet again.

The van sped off, leaving Jungkook to himself. He reached up to touch his lips one more time as he began to count the days before both their groups will head to Japan to perform at the annual Korean Convention.

*****

Yay for YuKook hahaha. Forgive me for writing so much for this ship. I just can't get enough of them. And I really just had to get this idea out after coming up with it while showering. Hope you enjoyed it. ;)

 

This story is also dedicated to one of my favorite YuKook shipper/writer baramenallyeo. Happy birthday to you! May you have more wonderful years ahead and may you always be blessed with both a healthy mind and body. :)