The Surface

Mugunghwa Promise

So Eun can tell that Myungsoo has something disturbed him. He becomes more silent and it’s worried her. He becomes this way after the shopping at Hyundai Department Store, she wish they didn’t come there at first place. Myungsoo is still the same Myungsoo, he doesn’t changed, but somehow it’s just like she can’t describe it.

            “So Eun-shi” She snaps from her thought.

            “Are you okay?” Her colleague asks.

“I’m okay just slightly tired. The students give me headache” She holds up folder on her hand. Her colleague buys it, she doesn’t ask further.  She feels relief, it is fortunate she brings some of the exam test with her to the cafeteria or she doesn’t remember at all why she could bring those with her on the first place. She doesn’t feel hungry at all, have no appetite even to eat. She shoves the plate and stands from the chair. She sees her wristwatch, she doesn’t have any lecture before 2 pm, means she has 2 hours and half spare time. She can bring her works home, privilege to be lecturer as long as you finish your works, do researches, give lecturer and do the administration things on deadline you can do anything with your time in between. She goes to the photography club and the students in the said club are really surprise to see her there.

“Can I help you Mrs. Kim?” She knows him, he is second year student on environment department, but she doesn’t remember which major he takes. His features and appearances is outstanding, everyone could tell that he is Eurasian. That makes him easily remembered then other students she teaches.

“Oh…. I just wondering if I can take look on some collections of photography club” She says smiling. The boy nods and companies her to take a look on their collection on the wall or on the photo book.

“What do you like about photography?” So Eun asks while looking on the several pictures in front of her.

“Excuse me, Mrs. Kim?” She smiles to him and repeats her question.

“Drawing” He answers shortly. She averts her gaze from the pictures to him. She frowns slightly.

“Drawing?” She questions. He nods, he takes one of picture and smiles a bit.

“The etymology of photography, photography was created from the Greek roots ‘photos’ and ‘graphe’. “representation by means of lines” or “drawing” so we can conclude it means ‘drawing with light’ . That’s Sir John Herschel introducing to the public“

“Thanks for the information, but that’s vague reason to answer my question” She remarks.

He shakes his head.

          “What makes photographer different with the painter or draftsmen then?” She asks.

          “We are same” He answers smiling. She raises her eyebrow.

          “I guess many photographers and draftsmen or painter will feel offended by your comment?”

          “Why is that? Is it because everyone thinks highly about their selves and their choice of art?”

          “We can say like that. Even so why we must think like others” She says. The boy seems pick the line.

          “In my opinion essentially they are same. Why we don’t start from the basic fact, Mam. Drawing is the oldest forms of human expression even before the written language, also used to express one’s creativity, it has been prominent in the world art. Years later camera introduced to the world, skip the history. Today many think photography has taken over from drawing as more superior method for accurately representing visual world. Painting is mode of creative expression, the recent contribution to thinking about painting offered by Julian Bell is a work of art seeks to hold your attention and keep it fixed: a history of art urges it onwards, bulldozing a highway through the homes of imagination” She nods and urges him to continue.

          “We can draw a line from the three that in the end it represented expression. Picture tells you 1000 words. A picture means many things depend on the point of view and who interpret the picture. It’s applied the same for painting or drawing. What do you think about Mona Lisa? Beautiful, elegant, or mysterious. You can interpret it by the surface or you can search for something deeper. What’s behind her smile? Why Leonardo Da Vinci painted her in front of other painting? Did he have personal reason? Or something else?” He holds up a picture.

          “What do you think about this picture?” The picture is taken after the Yonsei University basketball club has won the match over Korea University basketball club on friendly match a week ago. Nothing wrong with the picture just two captains shake hand and smile to each other.

          “Look closely, Mam. We can see the surface, but sometime we need to unravel the hidden meaning” He leaves her wondering what actually he wants to show her.

---

          Woohyun orders a set of Korean dishes for the six. It’s long time for the six mans to spend time together, Jaejoong goes to Japan to accompany Howon’s father.  Sungyeol and Woohyun act like chatterbox they are. They have no object in particular, they discuss weather, sport, EU, NATO, and so on. Sunggyu focuses on his task dig the food. Dongwoo eats while sometime offers some lame joke. Howon is eyeing Myungsoo, he speaks less this day. He doesn’t speak too much, but lesser he talks it warns Howon that something is wrong.

          “Myungsoo, what’s wrong?” Howon asks him. Sunggyu looks up from his food. Actually, he wants to bring this up, but he doesn’t know if it’s just his feeling or it’s true that Myungsoo acts different several days past. Myungsoo shakes his head and chose to eat, it’s end of Howon attempts to make him talk.

          Sungyeol and Woohyun has stopped converse, they take glance to the three. Sungyeol is about to open his mouth when Dongwoo shakes his head. They continue the lunch in silence.

          Myungsoo calls his brother that night. To his surprise Jaejoong acts like he just tells him about weather. He tells him that their father and uncles have already known, aunt Lee and Mrs. Choi are friends from college so it doesn’t surprise him at all to say the least. Jaejoong jokes actually he needs to freak out because his older brother is engaged with Lee Jieun that’s 13 years younger than him. His brothers asked him to wait for Howon to tell them alone. Howon has his own reason why he keeps it as secret and they need to respect his decision. Reluctantly, he promises to keep it longer.

----

          Howon is sitting on the couch reading the sales reports which actually Jaejoong’s. He takes some of the reports with him, waiting Jaejoong to check it after he goes back from Japan will take more time. Some branches are doing good and even improving on sales rate, but some also go down. Sehuna switches the television programs for countless times, not one of the programs caught her attention. She mutes the television sound after hears another sigh. She turns around and changes her pose from sit to lay on her stomach with chin places on her hands looking up to him.

          “You have sighed more than 20 times” She comments, throws the empty bag of chip and opens another one. Howon looks down from his position raises his eyebrow. She gets the disagreement look. She immediately puts the empty bag on the bin. Howon following her moves, she disappears to the kitchen and brings two bottle of banana milk. She lay back like her previous position, looks up to him curiously.

         “Is that really bad? I heard 28 sighs came from you” She motions the report he is holding with her index finger.

          “You count down?” She shrugs and gives him the chocolate chips. He shakes his head.

          “Eat. Chocolate will help you to calm down” He snorts, but eats the chip nonetheless.  She holds up the banana milk for him to take.

          “Seriously, Miss Choi. Banana milk?”

          “Milk is good for health. It contains of bunches of nutrition. Vitamins, calcium, phosphor, iron, iodine, fat, carbohydrate which our body needs”

          “Are you promoting milk to me and you chose banana milk over other flavor?”

          “Korean has thingy for tropical fruits. You should invest on this kind business, it will make good fortune”

          “We manage department store, not food and beverage companies”

          “You have shoved my idea about bubble tea …..”

          “Canning bubble tea isn’t best idea I ever think someone could come up with” She throws the pillow to him. The reports on his hand and some of them spread on the floor.

          “You just don’t throw me pillow”

          “Yes, I do” She smirks, she waits for him to take revenge, she has already grabbed pillow. He looks to clock on the wall.

          “It’s 11 pm now. Better you sleep, you need to go back to hospital at 2 am. What if you are still sleeping at that time?” He collects the document which spread across the floor.

          “Why should I worry? You will wake me up” She stands from the carpet and helps Howon, he takes the document from her hand and shakes his head.

          “Brush your teeth and go to sleep” Howon says smiling.

          She has spends several days on Howon’s apartment. Howon purchased the apartment close to SNUH, partly, because his mother whines about how could young lady drives at night to go to work. As if Sehuna drives alone, Choi’s driver is the one who drives and she just sits on the back. But still as good fiancé he needs to act as gentleman. He searched apartment which located close to SNUH and bought it. And once again his mother told him, she has no heart to leave her soon to be daughter in law at the apartment. Howon doesn’t want to listen anymore his mother childish whine so he will goes back to the apartment when Sehuna has night shift or every time she spends time at his apartment. His mother also made sure this couple has separated room, she has long speech how his son must treat her and if Howon does something dirty to her, he will regret it for the rest of his life.

          “Brush your teeth and go to sleep” She shoves him aside and puts the documents on his suitcase. They have been good friends, it seems surreal that they can keep everything up together, manages their strange relationship in order. He snaps from his thought when Sehuna shakes his shoulder. He blinks several times and meets with her who has arms akimbo. She has cleaned all the crump he notes. They go to their own bedrooms. He lay down on his bed and switches off the lamp when he hears she shouts from her room beside his.

          “Good night, Howon” This girl how could she is so loud.

-----------

          Hyunseung and Gikwang run to Junhyung’s room. They knock and get the permission to come in. Junhyung raises his eyebrow to the two mans. Hyunseung plops down on the couch, Gikwang takes the seat before him.

          “What is this?” Junhyung takes the folder Gikwang shoves on his table. He takes a look on the pictures inside.

          “Lee Howon” He raises his eyebrows.

          “The beautiful lady beside him Junhyung” Hyunseung says dreamily from the couch. Junhyung looks back to the pictures.

          “Guys, what’s wrong with you? It’s not the first time you saw him with beautiful girl. I need to admit he has good taste, not like Hyunseung who s every walking legs” Gikwang smirks to that remark. Hyunseung shrugs it off.

          “Looks at the other pictures” Hyunseung stands and walks to where Junhyung keeps wine.

          He looks to another picture. Howon and the girl are in jewelry shop with Mrs. Choi. And he gets the picture of Mrs. Choi and Mrs. Lee and the two at fancy restaurant, the two are busy with the cards in front of them.

          “Do you get the pieces Junhyung?” Junhyung nods.

          “What will we do to with the two birds?” Hyunseung smirks. Junhyung gets the message, chuckling.

          “Nothing” They avert their gaze to the source of voice. Doojoon stands in front of the door.

          “Never mix business with personal life” He says sternly.

          “They are the one who mix the business and the private life” Hyunseung scoffs to him.

          “If I need to remind you, it’s us who were mixed it first. Don’t you think that way Junhyung?”

          “As for your information, the project Lotte and Hyundai signed has nothing to do with the two. Ask your father if you don’t believe me. They got the project fairly” Doojoon looks straight to Junhyung’s eyes, challenge him to say otherwise.

          “What’s gotten into you? It’s not like that will be big….” Hyunseung doesn’t has chance to finish his sentence when Doojoon cuts him off without even spare glances to look at him.

          “It’s not Lee Howon’s fault that we lost some projects you can’t win over. And it’s not Lee Howon’s fault either that she left you. He did right thing as her friend. I would do the same if I was in his place” Doojoon says rather harshly. Gikwang who sees the turn out of this event also leaves the seat.

          “Hyunseung” Hyunseung holds up his hand and Junhyung let this go.

          Gikwang runs caught up with Doojoon.

          “Hyung, wait” Doojoon doesn’t slow down his pace as he enters his room. Gikwang invites himself in when Doojoon doesn’t show his discontent. Doojoon sits behind his desk and Gikwang follows suit sit in front of him.

          “Hyung, I guess you have gone too far. You don’t need to bring the past, you know how Hyunseung hyung …..”

          “Yesterday night I met Choi Siwon. He asked me to meet him at bar outside Seoul. I have no idea why he invited me at first place, but then he warned me to step away from their way. I tell you Choi Siwon isn’t someone you want to mess up with. In the end he promised he won’t take apart outside the business matter as long as no one jeopardizing his sister life. He also told me something shocking what was actually triggered all of this mess. Choi Siwon knows more than we know. It’s better not to set wrong foot with him” Gikwang nods, he never heard something bad about the Choi or dirty paths Hyundai used as long as his career. The calmest person is the last person you want to mess up with, you don’t know what’s waiting for you. Soft breeze suddenly can be storm. They has made enemy with Kim Jaejoong, they don’t need adding another older brother to face.

          “So we focus on business and put the other things aside” Gikwang offers timidly.

-----

          Sungyeol goes to SNUH after work. He has convinced Sungjong not to bring his car and he promised he will treat Sungjong everything he wants if he just do what he said. Sungjong more than happy to do this, it’s not every day Lee Sungyeol be gracious. Sungjong knows his brother wants to meet the internist again. He has done some research to come up with this information. Research!!! Sungjong even though he won’t to admit he also wants to meet her again. Lee Hwangin, his friend raises his eyebrows to Sungjong, not to mention Sungjong frequently visits him, but he shrugs it off. It’s good to have friend to talk beside his mother after all.

          Kyuhyun smirks when he sees Kris or Sungyeol several times at the hospital. He knows what brings them to the hospital after he caught them staring too long to one of resident there. The girl has captured many hearts and she is too dumb and oblivious about it. He can say this girl is filthy rich, M.D. from Yale School of Medicine. Many staffs talk about her, mainly because of her beauty and also the fact she has her own driver. Many attempt to ask her out, but it’s hard to do because she will come early to work and go after she finishes. She socializes with other residents and doctors just when they are at hospital. She politely rejects their offer to drink. Kyuhyun stifles his laugh when the male doctors finally stop to get on her pants after they saw her brings sport car Audi R8 V10 even it’s just twice. She doesn’t bring car anymore but to add the bitter fact they will see different sport cars just like today.

          “I know you are waiting for our intern Choi Sehuna” Kyuhyun takes unoccupied seat beside him. Sungyeol touches the back of his head sheepishly.

          “You still have the chance not like the male doctors here” Sungyeol gives all his attention to Kyuhyun.

          “Her shift today starts at 8 pm. She will come to the cafeteria for coffee before her shift start” As on cue the said girl enters the cafeteria and orders 2 cups of coffee, she pays and thanks the ahjumma. Out of his curiousness Sungyeol stands from his sit, bows to Kyuhyun slightly and dashes out to follow her.

          “Hoya” Sungyeol doesn’t realize that he shouts that name out loud and makes the girl and Hoya avert their gaze to them.

          “Sungyeol” He froze on her place.

          “Sehuna” The other intern at internal medicine calls her. She takes glance to Howon, worry written on her face. Howon caught her eyes.

          “I will pick you at 4 am. Go” He says. She squeezes his hand and what makes Sungyeol taken back is the ring on her left ring finger, Sungyeol sees ring on Howon’s ring finger as well. She bows slightly to him before leaves with her colleague. She still takes several glances before disappears from their sight.

          “So Sungjong didn’t mistaken the white Audi R8 V10 we saw times ago is yours”

          “What you don’t tell us Lee Howon?” With that Sungyeol leaves Howon.

---

          Howon massages his forehead. Jaejoong has come back from Japan, now he is at Jaejoong’s room wait for Sunggyu.

          “Sungyeol caught me with Sehuna at hospital two days ago” He begins.

          “And?” Jaejoong asks.

          “Nothing happen” He sighs tiredly. Sunggyu knocks the door and comes inside. He frowns when he sees Howon.

          “Take seat” Jaejoong tells him. Sunggyu who missed the conversation before raises his hand.

          “Howon will tell the others about his engagement”

          “Someone finds out?”

          “Two” Jaejoong supplies, Howon turns his head abruptly.

          “Myungsoo saw you and Sehuna talked to Mr. Choi Seungwon when he shopped with So Eun at Hyundai Department Store several times ago” That explains Myungsoo’s weirdness.

          “Sunggyu-hyung, can you gathers the others for me?”

          “When?” Sunggyu asks.

          “Three days from now at my room” He smiles a bit.

          “Talk with Sehuna, she has the right to know. It involves her too. We can arrange the meeting later” Howon doesn’t say a word. Deep down they know Howon won’t tell Sehuna and solves it alone. Somehow they hope that he could be more selfish.

---

          Myungsoo reads Sunggyu’s message. His brother calls him to explain further. His question will be answered faster than he expected it, even so he knows it must have something to do with Sungyeol and Hoya. Sungyeol gives Hoya cold shoulder even Woohyun can tell. Myungsoo suspects that Sungyeol has already known as well. So Eun has enough with her husband behavior. It’s like they are back to square one when Myungsoo keeps anything alone. They are married for God sake. She ever started wrong move approaching his husband before and she couldn’t avoid the fight she ever won’t through again. She never could get used to harsh words. She puts down cup of tea on the table. He looks up from the document and mutters thank you to her. She sits in front of him. He puts aside the document and glances up to her.

          “Does something bothering you?” She sighs in relief, she isn’t the one who needs to open the conversation.

          “Want you to tell me something?” She asks hesitantly. His face is blank.

          “Are we going to square one?” She asks sadly. She waits for his response, but when she gets nothing she decides to leave.

          “I’m in our room if you need something” She smiles and gathers her things. Myungsoo sees her back disappears behind the closed door. He massages his forehead, shakes all the thought from his already buzzy mind.

          He watches the clock and realizes he spends time more then he intends to. He puts back the document he needs for tomorrow in suitcase and turns off the lamp. He steps inside their bathroom and sees his wife still wide awake. She has her back leans on the headboard while reading a novel. He takes a look on the title slightly. Brida by Paulo Coelho, he has ever read Paulo Coelho’s novel one which title is The Alchemist.

          “Have you finished your work?” She smiles and closes the book, puts it on their desk lamp. She pats his bedside, motions him to come. He leans on the headboard, copying her previous pose. She has lays down right now looking up to the ceiling. His gaze fixes on wall before his eyes.

          “Remember our shopping at Hyundai Department Store when we saw Hoya with the girl from far?” So Eun nods her head and almost sits back when his hand stops her by playing with her hair.  She nods her head and looks to him who still doesn’t avert his gaze from the wall.

          “Do you read join project of Hyundai Lotte?” She nods once again.

          “We never success on make deal with Hyundai before. It’s like last attempt for us to even offer new project to them. Our representative is Hoya with Jaejoong and Sunggyu-hyung on the team. It’s definitely the best team we could think of even so no one hope it would work. When Hoya signed the project of course it’s like won a lottery. It has nothing to do with the profit, maybe it’s part of the deal, but it’s not all. We are running same business and has our loyal customers, the project won’t change many things in the business, but to have Hyundai as partner it’s like ensure as we have strong ally which good for both sides. Many advantages we could get by this” She listens carefully.

          “The girl with Hoya we saw is youngest daughter of Choi Seungwon, Hyundai CEO”

          “I ……”

          “Do you think the deal has something to do with the girl?” He nods.

          “Hyundai won’t sign the project just for a reason like that”

          “I know, but to think we need to sacrifice Hoya to make deal…..” So Eun cuts him off.

          “Sacrificing Howon-shi? What does that supposed to mean?”

          “We are still rival and to have join project with your rival. You need to secure your position first. Uncle Lee is second man in power at Lotte, Hoya on the other hand is one of our best man. Marrying him to Choi Seungwon’s daughter, the agreement which entail behind,” Myungsoo rubs his face tiredly. She grabs his hands and makes him looks straight to her eyes.

          “He must have good reason not to tell you all. He will tell you when he is ready”

          “It feels like I’m betrayed” He whispered. She takes the book and sees at the picture the boy gave to her several days ago. Maybe she is still wondering about the picture, maybe she doesn’t know what he means by giving her the picture, but she can tell that he has taught her that sometime you need to go deeper before you can make conclusion.  She gives him the picture. He raises his eyebrow.

          “I still don’t know what’s behind the picture. It seems just ordinary event, shakes hand with your opponent after game it’s not uncommon, but my student said about looks closely. All I can say is he told me about not to jump on conclusion. Sometime isn’t like what we look on the surface, asks Howon-shi to get the answer” She glares at him to make the point crosses his mind.

          “Believe in him. You know him better, he isn’t the type of someone who will take advantages from the others.

          He sighs, he has no objection to obey when she makes him lay down beside her. Hoya has sacrificied many things for others. He can't let him sacrifice more, and it's worst if he has needed to sacrifice for company and it means it's all about profit. He won't let that happen.