Cat & Mouse

For The Universe

Kyungsoo staggers through the rough terrain of the moon, Baekhyun limp on his back. The human had yet to wake up, for a moment Kyungsoo thought he had died but it turned out to be a simple taser shock. He’d be passed out for the next hour at least. The wound on his back still bleeds heavily, if not more due to the extra weight. He had contemplated just leaving Baekhyun, but he couldn’t bring himself to abandon the human. 

 

With a grunt he falls into the trench where the rest of his team is hidden. The fall makes him drop Baekhyun, who groans painfully in his sleep. 

 

“Sorry, Baek” Kyungsoo huffs, lofting himself up and stumbling towards the hidden cavern door. He knocks on it thrice, pauses and knocks two more times. Instantly the latch opens and he’s staring at Junmyeon’s worried face. 

 

“Kyungsoo!” He gasps, opening it all the way and pulling the Postean in the cavern “Where’s Baekhyun?” 

 

“Just outside, he’s passed out” he replies, laying down on the floor. 

 

“What happened to you?” Yifan asks, crouching down 

 

“I got shot” Kyungsoo laughs, as Yifan pulls him into a sitting position, pressing his hand against the wet patch on Kyungsoo’s shirt. His hand comes back covered in red. 

 

Minseok jolts up “You where found?” He questions, as he lays Kyungsoo on his stomach.

 

“I flew to see if I could see any ships” he grunts

 

“That was foolish” Minseok scolds, tearing off Kyungsoo’s shirt “Yifan, get me the first aid kit. It’s a laser wound, not a bullet.” 

 

“I know, these three goons came and captured us. I got out though.” 

 

“Does baekhyun need any medical attention?” Minseok asks as he pours a generous amount of disinfectant on the wound, the sting makes Kyungsoo wince. 

 

“He got tased, but he’ll be fine.” 

 

“You carried him all the way back here?” Yifan asks in disbelief “You should have left him, you could’ve died. Baekhyun is replaceable.” 

 

“He can’t fend for himself, I’m not as cruel as you” Kyungsoo smirks

 

Yifan ignores him to help Minseok tend to the wound “They know about the mission” Kyungsoo says

 

“What?” Yifan shouts “You told them?” He adds angrily 

 

“No, they found information in another cavern. They don’t know the details just that we’re trying to make the planet destroyer” 

 

Yifan sighs “That’s fine, they don’t know the details. If you told them anything I would’ve had to kill you right now” he laughs

 

“Looks like it’s gonna happen anyway” Kyungsoo replies

 

“Stop talking” Minseok interrupts “Kyungsoo the bone connecting your wings stopped the laser from going through you, but it’s shattered.” 

 

“What does that mean?”

 

“I’m gonna have to cut them off.” Minseok says bluntly 

 

“What? N-no.” 

 

“Kyungsoo If I don’t the weight from the wings will keep tearing open your wound. The left one is barely hanging on with a tendon” he said “Yifan give me the pliers” 

 

“No!” Kyungsoo protests, sitting up “You can’t cut them off!” He shouts,  moments from tears. The wings on his back are precious, apart of his very being, losing them would be like ripping apart of soul away. 

 

“It’s a simple amputation, if I don’t do it, you’ll die.” Minseok’s says, an almost inquisitive tone in his voice, almost asking what the big deal was. Minseok had his left arm decapitated when he was ten, a simple infection that nearly killed him, had the doctors not sawed off his arm he would be dead “Stop being stupid.” He stares plainly, pulling a needle out of the kit

 

“I’m not like you! I can’t just cut of a piece of me and replace it with steel.” Kyungsoo sobs, Yifan looks away his own wings folded tightly over his body. 

 

Minseok raises an eyebrow “You can’t replace your wings and my arm is made of Uvirite.” 

 

“Shut up!” Kyungsoo tells, kicking his legs at Minseok who steadily approaches with the needle. 

 

Minseok sighs “You’re making me really frustrated” he takes one hard step forward and pins both of Kyungsoo’s arm above his head and with a swift motion he sticks the needle in Kyungsoo’s neck and injects the anesthesia. 

 

“Please don’t” Kyungsoo pleads one more time before falling unconscious. 

 

 

 

When Kyungsoo wakes up, he’s in a bed in a dimly lit room. The sharp sting all over his back reminds him of what happened earlier, with quivering hands he reaches behind himself and reaches for his wings. He gets nothing, just air and the tightly bound bandages over his back. 

 

With a soft sob he puts his head in his hands, his tears wetting is palms. With a shuttering sigh, he wipes his hands and stands up slowly, the slight rumbling of the ground tells him he’s in a ship. Not the S.S. Exodus but a different one, big enough to hold multiple cabins instead of a single room with bunks lined against the wall. 

 

He staggers out of the door, the hallway is quiet, six rooms line the walls. He walks in the direction of the slight hum of conversation. It’s coming from the pilots cabin, a huge room with windows covering the entire wall. They’re flying in dark open space, stars sparsely scattered around. 

 

“You’re awake!” Baekhyun suddenly cheers, leaping up and rushing to Kyungsoo. The human wraps his arms around him, the squeeze making Kyungsoo wheeze uncomfortably. 

 

“T-too tight, Baekhyun” 

 

“Oh I’m sorry!” Baekhyun shoves his hands in his pockets “It’s just you saved me, and carried me back even though you got shot! Wow I can’t believe you got shot! That’s so cool!” 

 

“Uh not really, it’s painful.” Kyungsoo mutters, sitting on an empty chair beside Minseok who shifts uncomfortably “I’m sorry I put you to sleep and cut your wings off even though I technically saved your life” he says, his tone awkward.

 

“It’s okay, I’m sorry I gave you a hard time about it.” Kyungsoo smiles. 

 

The Ucrion nods “I just don’t understand why at that point you would rather die than not have wings. Plenty of other beings live happily without wings.”

 

“I guess I just had a big emotionally attachment to them.”

 

“I still don’t understand. When I was young I got an infection and the doctors cut my arm off, i’s not a big deal. Most people on my planet have mechanical limbs.” 

 

“Well, that’s not normal everywhere. Your species is more prone to illness and infection, so you have more artificial body parts than any other planet, which isn’t necessarily a bad thing but you’re more detached about things like this. Any other being would be devastated.” Junmyeon explains, keeping his eyes focused on the window “Your people have had the most astonishing advances in medicinal science and pretty much just science overall but your society is one based completely on logic and facts which makes you seem almost heartless at times.” 

 

Minseok mulls this over, as if doing the math on his logic based decisions and how they may affect his personality. After a short minute he nods “Well I’m sorry Kyungsoo, all cultures have their faults. Like your planet is a culture less monarchy that strives on an economic based society” 

 

Kyungsoo laughs, glancing at Yifan who redirects his attention to the window, pretending to be fascinated by a distant star. 

 

“Where are we headed, now that we’ve got a new ship?” Kyungsoo asks, leaning back in the chair

 

“Well we cant keep this ship seeing as how we stole it” Yifan replies “So we’re headed to Lyra, it’s the closest neutral planet and seeing as we’re Ivory members, in a stolen Centeal Union ship it’s our only option.” 

 

“Lyra?” Kyungsoo asks, racking his mind for any information on the planet “wait.. don’t te people there have three eyes?” He shudders

 

“Well sort of, it’s a small eye on the forehead it’s useless” Minseok stares

 

“I hear they can see the future in that eye” Baekhyun hums

 

“They can’t. It’s a scam.” Junmyeon snorts “But we get a beau real civilian ship, fuel and basic necessities then we can leave and make stops on other planets. We need water and food.” 

 

“We can’t get water and food on Lyra?” Baekhyun asks

 

“Well I’m not sure about the food but the water there is toxic to most other species, Minseok can’t go into the atmosphere without a bio suit.” Junmyeon sighs “It’s not the most ideal location by its all we’ve got. We can’t afford to fly this ship any longer than we have to.” 

 

“Well how long till we get there?” Kyungsoo asks

 

“A a day or so” 

 

 

 

 

 

 

“Where are they even headed? There’s been nothing but empty space for almost two days!” Chanyeol groans, throwing his head back

 

“The nearest system has only three inhabited planets, two of which are Uaphea colonies and the other one is neutral. My guess is they’re headed there” Luhan replies with a nod “However, we could’ve avoided chasing after these s if Jongin here didn’t let them go.” 

 

“Shut up, Luhan” Jongin glares, rubbing at his bandaged nose. “What planet are they headed to?” 

 

“Lyra” Luhan answers with a smirk. 

 

“Well let’s hurry up and get there, I can’t wait to capture these guys” Jongin sighs.