Pit Stop Island

Of Sailing, Romance, and Punching Monsters

Nearly after three weeks upon the seemingly endless sea, they anchored by a desolate, small island. It was the first land they had seen since they set sail and it was apparent the crew knew the island well.

Lots of other ships were anchored nearby, and on the island was one single building.

“Welcome to Pit Stop Island,” the Captain said cheerily as Youngjae put his feet in the sand. The entire crew seemed merry, except Daehyun who appeared a little apprehensive.

It was a tavern, full of sailors and definitely some pirates; Youngjae had seen some worrying flags out there. He was honestly a little scared of pirates.

“Youngjae, my son, come sit here.” The Captain, whom had grown to be a fatherly figure to Youngjae, was patting the spot next to him by the table. Youngjae sat down and accepted the cup handed to him; he had learnt to pace himself the past few weeks, drinking without getting wasted.

“You!” A loud scream pierced through the good mood in the tavern, everyone turning silent.

One of the waiters, a pretty man, had been the one screaming. He also had lifted his hand, punching a very scared looking Daehyun right in the nose.

Confused, and worried, Youngjae just watched.

“Ah,” the Captain sighed. The tavern had turned loud again, no one caring about the man yelling at Daehyun and how Daehyun seemed to try to run away. “Told him he shouldn't have sweet-talked every pretty boy in all the corners of the seven seas.”

Youngjae blanched: so Daehyun was a flirt and a player. Should have known, someone doesn't fall in love at first sight like that. He tried to ignore the hurt in his heart and instead focused on chugging down his grog.

“Easy there-“

“Another!” Youngjae demanded.

Amused, the Captain poured another and just watched in silence as Youngjae gulped it down.

Twenty minutes later, with Daehyun still looking terrified as the pretty man kept yelling at him and cursing him, Youngjae felt the effects of the alcohol.

If Daehyun could be a player and a flirt, then so could Youngjae.

Carefully he scanned the tavern, trying to find a man after his own taste. There were many viable options, but Youngjae managed to choose one and with wobbly steps and a confident smile he approached another table.

“Hello there,” Youngjae murmured, getting eye contact with a ruggedly handsome man.

“Hello, you pretty little thing,” the man's voice was deep and very pleasant. Youngjae, having no shame due to the alcohol, plopped down on the lap and wrapped his arms around the strong neck. “Well someone is direct.” One big hand was placed on his thigh, dangerously inching underneath his skirt.

A few amused chuckles sounded around them, but Youngjae paid them no mind. He was too busy leaning closer, letting their lips brush-

“No!”

Suddenly the handsome man's face disappeared, the man having fallen backwards after a powerful punch and Youngjae got thrown over a shoulder. A hand was on his , making sure he stayed firmly on the shoulder.

“If anyone as much as looks at him the wrong way I'll punch you so hard you'll never wake up!”

It was Daehyun.

For some reason the revelation just made Youngjae giggle. He was also feeling decidedly more dizzy.

The tavern had turned quiet again.

“This siren is mine!”

Oh. Even a drunk Youngjae knew Daehyun had just ed up.

“Siren?!”

“Oh , uh-“

“Get the siren!”

“Protect Youngjae, crew!” This time it was the Captain, yelling with a strong, clear voice. “Daehyun, get him to the ship!”

“Hell yeah! Tavern brawl!” Someone else yelled as Youngjae got carried outside, sounding way too excited.

The bouncing was horrible, as Daehyun ran, and it was a miracle Youngjae didn't throw up. On the ship, safely placed down, Youngjae just laughed.

“You're an idiot!”

“I’m sorry,” Daehyun sounded genuine. “I just got so mad seeing the love of my life-“

“Cut the bull, Daehyun. I'm just another conquest for you,” Youngjae poked the firm chest harshly. “And I refuse to let your dirty get close to me.”

“You are not a mere-“

“Shh.” Youngjae had put a finger over the plush lips. “I'm going to sleep and I'm sharing a hammock with Junhong.”

“But-“

Youngjae refused to listen, and very carefully he walked to Junhong's hammock and fell asleep within seconds. He didn't even notice when Junhong had gotten in later.

Come morning, Youngjae woke up to a giant standing over him.

“Youngjae, wake up.”

“What is it, Junhong?”

“Daehyun has been wailing all night and it's getting annoying. Only you can fix it.”

Youngjae sighed and got out of the hammock, ignoring his pounding headache. Following the crying sound, he easily located Daehyun who was still in his hammock.

“You're being loud and annoying.”

“My angel has broken my heart. How can I be quiet.”

Pinching his nosebridge, Youngjae decided that ‘fine, maybe Daehyun is genuine despite being a manwhore.’

“I wish I had never met any of the others,” Daehyun had turned around, showing his puffy lids, red eyes, and tears streaked face. “Because you're the only one for me. The only one who has made my heart beat so furiously. Everytime I see your beautiful face I-”

“Fine fine, I’ll sleep in your hammock tonight. Just stop crying and go help the crew.”

Immediately Daehyun perked up and jumped out of the bed, the planks beneath his feet creaking. “You have saved me from a dark place, my sweet.” He leaned close and pecked Youngjae's cheek before running up to deck.

Youngjae pretended his heart wasn't hammering wildly in his chest.

“Stupid, annoying human.”