Chapter 2

Is this love?

Jennie doesn't really know how these past few years flew. She’s seventeen now, all grown up.

Jennie has matured both personality and appearances wise. She’s grown up to be a beautiful girl with a small face that sports chubby cheeks and attractive cat-like eyes. Her hair had recently been dyed a lighter shade of brown and her body was in a fit shape. Jennie had even taken up her passion of dancing even more vigorously, devoting many hours and days. She loved the feeling of being lost in the dance, in her steps and the song, all of which was so far from her reality. The songs that she danced to never related in any way to her problems, while she was dancing, she was living someone else's life and Jennie loved it.  

Jennie had been going to the old “FlyHIGH” dance studio for eleven years before Lalisa had transferred in. Jennie had watched with blank eyes as Lalisa had stood in the middle of the dance floor, eyes bright and her body bouncing in excitement as she danced. Lalisa had been exceptionally good. Everyone had been impressed; the students watching her with open curiosity and the dance instructor Mia who had been watching with a beaming smile. That night as she lay in bed, Jennie had wondered why Lalisa couldn't seem to be able to leave her alone? Why did she want to torment Jennie so much? Jennie had tried her best to ignore her, she really had, but Lalisa was made up of optimism and persistence.

Soon, enough, Lisa was going around claiming Jennie to be one of her best friends and all Jennie could do was a nod in a nonchalant manner, her heart beating fast and her body experiencing a strange numbness. Jennie, Jisoo, and Lalisa are now always seen together; together during breaks, shopping, class and even after school.  Jisoo claims that they have grown a lot after the forming of the trio. In a hushed whisper, Jisoo confesses how much Lalisa really means to her now, how much she has helped with her self-esteem and her problematic situation. Jennie doesn't ask Jisoo how Lalisa had helped her, she lays next to her, her ears ringing and bile rising at the back of . Jennie really misses Irene.

Two weeks after Lalisa joining her dance studio, Hanbin has suddenly started visiting a lot. He would show up, just in time for Lalisa to either finish or start and he would sit in the corner, where the darkness fell on his form, hiding him from everyone. His eyes would be bright as he traced Lalisa's form and his lips would be constantly fighting back a smile. By the fourth week, everyone in the studio believed them to be a "sweet" couple, who only had eyes for each other. Jennie would have to sit still, listening and begging the tears wouldn't fall.   She had gotten very good at ignoring the words, the rumours that constantly surrounded them.

 

When Jennie turns seventeen, there is a big dance competition held by the school. Jennie's instructor wants Jennie to participate and tells her she is "one of the best students".  Jennie doesn't want to ask when she went from the best to one of the best, so she agrees. The next day, when Jennie arrives at the dance studio, she is not alone. Lisa is standing next to Mia, smiling wide and Jennie had never hated her so much before. Jennie feels tears building up again but takes a deep breath. She knew she should have expected this, things had been different after the arrival of Lalisa after all. Jennie casually makes her way to the two, also just realising Hanbin's presence. She is too tired to care.

"Jennie, you're here " Lalisa squeals.

"Lalisa" is all Jennie replies with.

Jennie sees her frown, and she knows it's because Jennie had never taken the step with the rest of Lalisa's friends and taken to calling her, Lisa.

 

As Lisa's mouth opens to say something back, Jennie swiftly walks to the other side of the room to place her bag down. When she turns back, Lalisa is watching her uncertainty and Hanbin's gaze is burning a hole through her. Jennie gives the other girl a small tight smile, making sure to scrunch up her eyes just a bit. Lalisa's face instantly brightens before she's squealing, her arms around Jennie as she starts pulling her to show her the steps.

Jennie nods then start following along. Jennie's moves and flowing yet sharp, and while her face may have remained blanked throughout the dance, there's no denying the elegance and the charisma that Jennie brings to the dance floor. Hanbin's gaze lingers more on her frame than Lalisa's that day and Jennie feels lighter and happier than she ever has.

 

The next day, Jennie has to run to the cafeteria after seeing Hanbin ask Lisa out in front of the whole school. They also announce their decision of applying and being accepted at the same University. Jennie doesn't wait for the answer, because everyone in the cafeteria already knows. Jennie doesn't stop to see anyone else's reaction either because she knows they're too invested in the couple, their eyes hungrily taking everything in. Jennie is crying on the staircase near the playground when Jaehyun approaches her.

 

They talk for the first time after his transfer to Jennie's school. Jennie doesn't say anything neither does Jaehyun. They both know about the crushes they held for Hanbin and Lisa. It hadn't taken her long to figure out after seeing Jaehyun watching after them just as she had. As they sit there, Jennie's tears slowly disappear and she tells Jaehyun, how she had been neglected as a child. She tells him she can count the number of times she has seen her father, and the number is still less than ten.  Jennie tells him the toxic process of bottling up her emotions and feelings because she had always been told they would never be worth anything. Her parent's negligence, the loneliness that she had been battling since she was a child had obviously grown much bigger and now she could barely speak up. The y persona she kept was just the defense mechanism she used to battle the insecurities and mental trauma. Jennie also admits the trauma has left her unable to speak up or act as child/showoff and seek attention to make up for the attention she never got as a child.

 

Jaehyun listens to her patiently and silently, even when the bell rings and they hear the students moving around and going to their last period.After few minutes of silence, Jaehyun tells Jennie, she should leave. She should go far away and bury herself in a different grave. Jennie agrees, Jaehyun tells her he's leaving too. He's going back to America.


 

Exactly, two weeks later, Jennie musters up courage and asks her parents for permission. They barely give her a glance, when they hand her a card. "That should take care of everything", her mother mutters, typing furiously, eyes focused only on her monitor.