Graceful orchid

We're sharing memories
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The bitter taste of coffee is stingy and makes your heart flutter. Despite the bitterness, we come around every time to taste it. Whatever it is sweet or not, it creates the addiction. We love to say that we are coffee addicts; that we can't live without it, we warn people to not approach us in the mornings if we haven't had our caffeine doze yet. But have you tried taking a break from it? They say that in the first day your head hurts, in the second day you'll feel tired and so on. But there is a day when you'll no longer feel the need for it. If your will is strong enough. So why not follow the same principle when it comes to love life and heartbreaks?

Sure, we are born with the need for love, as babies the first thing we ask isn't coffee. Addiction is the thing those two have in common. Such a cliché to find your loved one in a coffee shop, but it happens. Ask Youngjae for confirmation. He met Heiran in a coffee shop. He knew from what they ordered how different they are and yet it didn’t stop him.

Youngjae wasn’t a player or anything like that, but he knew some tactics to seduce, well, at least draw attention of the one he sets his eyes on. First of all, he checked if there was a pattern and there was. That girl was usually there in the mornings, which meant they were both starting work around 09.00 am which could also mean something else. It was either she didn’t have a job or was in a higher position at her workplace. Youngjae believed the latter because she was often busy reading some papers; they could have been reports or other things alike. He enjoyed making different scenarios and imagining what kind of boss she was. He chuckled a bit every time he saw her frown a little then look at the window as if she was wondering how people like that existed. She was cute and made Youngjae fall for her unconsciously.

Her employees didn’t think of her as cute, but they were expected excellence and that was the purpose. It kind of became their purpose of existence when Heiran was at work. She was taller than normal woman and her aura just screamed “this person leads and you should follow”. Her short to medium hair was often in a low pony tail and her austere wardrobe declared to anyone who saw her that she had her own style. Monochrome mostly, but that didn’t mean she didn’t have a colorful and imaginative soul. You have to have that when you run your own clothing shop and brand.

She was the person Youngjae never thought he’d fall for. He suspected her to be older than him and he was soon losing the line between his imagination and how she really was. So he knew the time for making a move had to be soon or else he would fall in love with an imaginary person.

Buying coffee, day by day, seeing her a few tables away could have make Youngjae not only a person with wherewithal, but also a possible stalker. Not that Heiran would notice, she was too busy reading her disciples’ work. She had two girls working as designers but it was sometimes too hard to alienate their visions. Heiran’s stubbornness was something that helped her survive in the cruel world of Gangnam and in the world of fashion in general. That day could have been declared her personal Blue day. That was the second day she didn’t get to go home; they had to make some samples for a new contract and the volume of work was immense. She even had to scold one of her disciples for being stubbornly persistent in a wrongdoing. Heiran refused some of her outfits proposal, they didn’t fit the new concept, but the girl was too obdurate to understand. The business men whom she had to present the new clothes had their flight delayed and on top of that, when they were presenting the new clothes, her disciple presented one of her outfits which didn’t have Heiran’s approval. It was a waste of fabric and disobedience. Heiran couldn’t allow either of them so at the end of the meeting she fired the girl. When she got to the parking lot she realized her car was broke and a phone call announced her some of her relatives were expecting her at her house for dinner. Her day beat Blue day by far.

Instead of waiting for her car to be repaired, she took a cab to her favorite cab. She didn’t invite her relatives so she didn’t feel obliged to show up running to serve them and act like the perfect house wife. She even thought of ordering food just so the old and inopportune people had a little shock. She was smirking devilish when she entered the café.

There were only a few people there and beside the waiters there was one more familiar face. That young man, he was often there so she acknowledged his presence a bit. She saw him giving her a glance or two, but she considered harmless because she did the same thing a couple of times.

There was something about him that reminded her of home. Not her currently home which was now filled with probably starving people worried about her whereabouts. They were going to be fine; she had her maid to take care of things like that. While she fantasied about the cozy boy drinking his light coffee as she named cappuccinos and latte macchiato and other things he seemed to be drinking. She was all about black coffee. But on a day like this she would make an exception and have some sugar. She sat at her ordinary place and relaxed just a bit. Heiran was about to thank the waiter for bringing her coffee when she realized it was the boy who brought it.

“Hello. This is your coffee and I know you usually drink it alone, but couldn’t you make an exception today?” the boy asked leaning forward and she gladly noticed he smelled so clean and nice, it reminded of her clothes collection. Her suspicion was right, he had been watching her cause he brought the coffee without sugar.

“I was going to make an exception today and have some sugar, guess you rushed a bit.” Heiran responded resting her chin on her palms.

“If I bring you sugar will you change your mind and make two exceptions?” the young man asked and in a way surprised Heiran; he was full of confidence without looking cocky.

“I’ll think about it.” She replied and watched him going and returning with some sugar. They stayed in silence and enjoyed the view outside the café. It began raining and there weren’t many people on the street. They weren’t in the café either which was a relief.

“Of course it had to rain on a day like this.” Heiran stated.

“Had a bad day?”

“Am I the only one?” she responded thinking that if he was here at this hour means his life wasn’t going perfectly either.

“It may not have been a good day, but there is something good in every day.” He stated and she let out a small laugh.

“Life must be easier for people with such words.”

“It isn’t a lie; we both had despicable days if my assumption is right, but at least we’re here together.”

“Don’t say something like meeting me was destiny cause I’ll throw you in the rain.” She said and it was his time to laugh.

“We met too many times to be destiny. It’s more like a habit now.”

Minutes passed and they continued looking at the window, the rain washing away the feeling of being tired and a paradox, lifting some weight of their shoulders. Everything ends and their time that night was coming to an end. Now that the ice was broken, they were sure their encounters take place more often.

He offered to lead her outside and they waited for a cab together.

“See you tomorrow?” Youngjae asked worried he might have disturbed her and she wasn’t going to come the next morning. On the other hand, she remembered something about the business meeting and wasn’t really paying attention.

“Heiran.”

“Pardon me?”

“You wanted to know my name, right?” she asked spotting a cab coming towards them. He chuckled seeing her distracted mind and opened the door of the cab when it arrived.

“Good night, Heiran.”

“Good night.”

“It’s Youngjae.” He said and she simply nodded. He closed the door and couldn’t wait for tomorrow more.

It was not as if Heiran was resistant to Youngjae’s sweet persuasion and softening influence, so there was not really

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter