BAP: Jung Daehyun (Romance)

K-POP: One-Shot Collection

Req. by @beschissenkyung


 

Unsure

Jung Daehyun. Even the thought of his name makes me sick. My rival. My enemy. God, I despise him. Looking at him from the other corner of the room, being surrounded by all these girls who giggled and laughed at his not-so-funny jokes. Seriously, what do they see in him? He's not even handso- ok that I take back.

But that's not the point. You should like someone not because of their good looks, but because they're a good person. And Jung Daehyun is definitely not that kind of person. 

Why do I hate him so much you ask? Well. It all started in  6th grade. I was the new girl, I just moved to my father's hometown Busan, from Seoul where I was born and raised. My mother got very sick, so we opted to live in the less urban side at the same time to somewhere more accessible, still, to medical treatment.

I was already having a hard time adjusting to the people, the dialect, the place as a whole. But he just had to add on to my stress with school. My parents expected highly of me in school. I was an only child, I had a comfortable life, I had no reason to not be at the top of my class. Wrong. Because Jung Daehyun happened. 

I got by because of my hardwork and strong will to make my sick mother proud. Jung Daehyun was just, smart. I hated it. Because I always see him going around and having fun, yet he still aces everything. Let it be sports, music, math, you name it. 

And for the first time in 2 years, I actually went above his rank for a change. I was happy celebrating in the hall with a friend, being congratulated and all. When he suddenly pulled me to the intersection between two flight of stairs. 

"You cheated off me during science." He accused. I got so angry and hurt the first thing I did was slap him. " How dare you..." I whispered lowly to him. "I made that spot fair and square you jerk." I said through gritted teeth. I was more of angry and I'm not the type to tear up fast. I was just boiling at that time. 

"What makes you think I would ever cheat off of you?" I asked him. He scoffed at me, raking his fingers through his hair out of frustration. "How else could we explain that you ranked higher than me?" he said. Then, I scoffed.  "You think you're all that? You think no one can do better than you? You think I can't do better than you?" I practically shouted. 

People started to gather around us when I raised my voice. And I felt so wronged that he would say that. Thick-face arrogant bastard. "You sat beside me when we had our test." he said, his jaw hardening. He didn't look pissed anymore. Infact his anger seemed to fade and he basically asked me. But still, I felt mad that he would assume I could do something like that to him, or to anyone for that matter.

"I always sit in front, you dumb cockroach." I said. I heard some of the guys staring at us snicker at what I said. And I could tell I won this fight. But that did nothing to how I felt. Being accused of doing dirty when you only did your best felt like crap. And I did not want to feel that way anymore. 

So I asked my parents to talk to the school administration about separating me from Jung Daehyun. At first, my parents asked me if I wanted to switch schools but I told them no. It would be too much of a hassle. So instead, I transferred from class A to  class C. Since then, I saw less of him. 

It stayed that way with us until I graduated from Middle school and High school. We would cross paths but I was always quick to never have another encounter with him. 

In college, I went to one of the top three prestigious universities in South Korea. Korea university. I heard through mutual friends that Daehyun went to K too, but he took up biomedical engineering. I took information technology. 

The tech world has always been a curious thing for me, considering that my parents rarely made me use gadgets because I had to focus on my studies. Until I turned 15, only then did they let me use my laptop and my phone whenever I want because... Well I wasn't failing. 

I graduated college by the way. Last year. I'm now 24. I have a stable job at a big software company that sidelines with machinery and household appliances.   and yes, you guessed it right. Our company is working with Daehyun's company. 

He's advanced to a whole new level, becoming a team manager in a span of 8 months. I've been employed for 6. So, my promotion can or can't happen next month. How come I'm so updated with Daehyun? I don't really give a but my friends and old classmates that I bump in to from time to time tell me about him. I don't see why they would. They all know I despise the guy. I don't understand why they bother. 


Anyway, that's my back story. Right now, he's walking up to me with a file case on his right hand and his left hand tucked in his pocket. This isn't a runway douchebag. This is the office. 

"Hi." He smiles. "What?" I glared back. "Why can't you be nicer? Like your other colleagues." He said, pointing at his back with his thumb, gesturing to the group of women who he left to hand me a bunch of papers. "I am nice. Just not with you." I said bluntly, taking the file case from him and reviewing the contents inside. 

"What do you want from me?" i asked, still scanning the contents of our application proposal that they approved but asked for a few revisions from. "I just came to hand that to you." He said, tucking both of his hands in his pockets.  "...and maybe ask you out to dinner?" He asked cautiously. And very slowly at that. 

I couldn't even hide the way I felt about his last question. I turned to him, frowning and looking both confused and unable to believe what he just asked me. "We've been working for months now. We're old classmates. Can't we have a mini reunion ?" He said, reasoning out his way to make me say yes. 

"Yeah, but from what I remember, we weren't really that close. And the only time that we did ever talk, was when you accused me and I slapped you. So I don't think were on that kind of level for a 'reunion' as you would term it." he sighed, looking at me as I spoke. Everything I said was true. Even he can't deny it. 

"Can't we be friends?" He asked. I was quiet. It did happen back in middle school. "Well?" He asked again. I stared at him, for a long time too. Trying to figure him out. He closed his eyes and let out a breath. "If you're curious about something just ask me." He said, sounding frustrated. 

"Why do you want to be friends now? After all these years. We even went to the same high school and university. Why now?" I constantly asked out of pure curiosity. His offer really boggled my mind. He could've asked me a month ago, a week ago, back in high school or even college...but no. He chose to do it today. 

"Come on Minkyung. It happened a long time ago. Can't you let it go?" He asked, his tone sounding frustrated and tired. I scoffed. The audacity of this arrogant douchebag. "I'm sorry." He closed his eyes and frowned, seeming to regret whatever he just said. 

"Why do you keep insisting that we be friends anyway?"I asked, giving him my full attention now." A friend of mine likes you and I'm trying to set you two up." He gave in.


"Wellthen."I said, closing the file case after dribbling on a piece of sticky note and attaching it to the cover. I passed it to him before I left my desk and to the break room where he immediately followed after me. 

"Wait. Just like that?" He asked, walking by my side. "Give my number to him. I'd rather talk to him than talk to you." I said. Just as I was about to push open the door, he gripped the handle and looked at me, surprised. "T-this isn't right." He stuttered, obviously bewildered by how I responded. 

"What now?" I crossed my arms as I asked. "I-i'm him." He blinked, his ears flushing red. "You're who?" I asked again, already feeling irritated with his inconsistency. "I'm the friend."  He muttered. What is he talk-....oh.


"Are you sure?" I asked, after a long period of silence. Then finally, he laughed and smiled. Something he's never done in front of me,andfrankly I have never seen. "You're cute." He chuckled, hiding a grin. Huh...I've never seen him smile like this. "Yes. I'm sure. I'm trying to ask you out, Lee Minkyung." 

But gentlemen, was a week ago. ladiesthat
and

Right now, I'm tapping my fingertips on top of my notepad, trying to process the content written on it rather than placing my attention to Daehyun who has been distracting me the entire da- sorry. I meant entire week.

After our little blunt conversation that day, we didn't talk at all. I thought he would formally ask me out. Or maybe surprise me with something after what he said. Or even just text me at the very least... but no. Instead he actually...kept his distance. 

I would be lying if I said that I didn't get flutters when he said what he said. And it's exactly why my annoyed is glaring him down as he walked past my desk and to Junho, our graphic artist. 


"You're over your head Lee Minkyung. He just messed with you. He probably didn't mean any of that crap."

 

i tried to sooth myself from the situation. Instead, I closed my eyes and took a deep breath. Letting it out quietly, I smiled at myself, already feeling at ease. 

When I opened my eyes I saw a green sticky note stuck to my monitor. I leaned in and read what was written. 

"Café Valor at 6:40 later. I'll be waiting."

I turned to Junho's station and saw no one. I turned and saw Daehyun's back just turning a right at the corner and  to the elevator. Sneaky, psh. Checking the time...Oh, it's almost 5. I have at least an hour to get ready. 

On my way home, I told Minjung, a.k.a the friend who always tells me stuff about Daehyun, about this. 

"HE ASKED YOU OUT?! WHAT ON EARTH!" her reply said. "I don't know if I should go. I mean. I hate his guts. But I kind of want to talk to him about all this." I sighed through the phone. 

I'm now walking my way home, about to freshen up and get changed real fast before I head out again...maybe. 

"You have to go! I ship you two." She giggled. Nothing new. She's always been this way. "Choi Minjung. What are you saying?" "You know, you two have a lot more in common than you think. And,  word back in highschool, he had a crush on you but never really tried anything. Because well, we all know you hate him. So." She said. I could only frown. 

"Just try talking with him. If I'm wrong, ignore what I said. And if he does like you now, see where it goes. Water under the bridge, forgive and forget. Just see it through." 


Time check:6:35PM

I stepped out of the bus and walking very cautiously so that I wouldn't trip at the uneven flooring of the in to sight. I stopped for a while to calm myself down. bus sidewalk. Passing a few blocks more, the bright sign that says 'Café Valor' came

"Should I go?" I asked out loud, staring at the sign then to the door. "Should I not?" I frowned. I already dressed up. And for pete's sake I'm already here. I might as well go...right? Sighing, I took out my mirror and checked my eye makeup once more before I let out a small encouraging sigh. 


It wasn't that hard to spot people here. The place was simple and cozy. It was spacious. Behind the wall divider sat Jung Daehyun nailing the boyfriend look all men try to achieve. And just an hour ago I was ready to drop him.

"Oh wow." He blinked at me when I stood in front of him with pressed lips. "You're pissed." he pursed his lips as he stood up. I lifted a brow at him and said nothing. Just because he complimenyed me doesn't mean he's forgiven. 

He walked beside me and pulled out my chair, offering the seat but I sat on the chair where he previously sat and pulled out my own seat. He stiffled a smile but didn't say anything and sat on the chair he offered for me instead.  

"If this is your idea of a bad boy romantic gesture. I don't like it. It's pissing me off." I straight out told him how I felt about him ignoring me for a week. I also dressed exceptionally more feminine and a little y tonight to intimidate him. And if this isn't what I think it is, at least I can leave this place looking fine. Maybe attract another guy and have an unexpected date with him instead. 

When he heard what I said, he pulled out a piece of folded paper from his coat's inner pocket and handed it to me. 

"I'm sorry for being a douche. Please accept my apology." I read out loud. And as I looked up at him, he handed me a single white rose wrapped all fancy and beautiful.

I softened. The wrapped rose is very pretty. And he looked like he was genuinely sorry. Should I forgive him...or not? Hmm. Maybe I'll play with him a little more. 

"You think a rose and a smile can fix everything?" I placed down the rose on the table then crossed my legs. Making sure I straightened my back and got him a little view of my flexed body line. He gulped. Ha. That's right. You just messed with this. 

"It didn't?" he asked. I stared at him. Oh wow. He looked past me and raised his hand to the waiter, signaling him about something. What the hell. Is he going to take the bill? I haven't eaten dinner. Damn it. 


A few seconds later, a plate was placed in front of me. With chocolate writing that said, "I'm really really sorry." Along with that crying face. I shook my head at his silly attempt. "That was cute." I pointed at the plate. He grinned at me, scooping whipped cream from his drink that tapping that on my nose. "You look cute." He smiled. 

My eyes widened and my mouth was wide open at his attack. I scooped some from his drink as well and swiftly ran my finger across his cheek. "Not cute." I chuckled. I never thought that he was playful. 


"How about... you order anything you want. My treat of course." He smiled, taking the menu from the waiter and handing one to me while I wiped away the cream. Opening it, I checked whatever was there. And holy crap they have so much cake, and Italian food....huh. 

"You like anything?" He asked, peeking at me. My brows knit at his rushed question. I want to eat everything....but it'll be too much if I ask for dessert too. "We can have a four course meal. Totally up to you."  He said, his tone with a hint of hope in it. He does look like he eats a lot.

"Why does it sound like you want me to eat a lot so you can do the same?" I threw a trick question, internally laughing already at his flushed face. How adorable. 

"It shows?" He asked. I couldn't hold it in, I broke out laughing. "Oh. You laughed. Asa!" He fist bumped the air, cheering for himself. "I can eat anything. You decide." I spoke softly, closing the menu and placing that on the table. "In that case..."

he went on and ordered two caesar salads, two kinds of pasta, a side platter of fries and garlic bread strips, two shakes, and dessert to follow. My mouth gaped at how many stuff he ordered. 

“You must’ve been very hungry.” I laughed as soon as the waitress left after taking our order. He laughed as well, leaning his elbows on the table and resting his chin on his open palm. “I was very stressed.” He chuckled.

Stressed? Why? Our project isn’t that complicated at all. “The app revisions aren’t that hard. The design team are almost done with the enhanced graphics. The security features of the app are also already under testing. We just have to re-program a few things for the options-“ but he cut me off with a laugh. 

“I didn’t say it was about work.” He said. Oh… his family then? Friends? “is something wrong at home?” I asked very slowly. Am I allowed to ask such question? Let’s be honest, we know nothing about each other. 

“No, no. everything’s fine at home.” He chuckled again. I gave him a blank look. “Why do you keep on laughing? I’m very serious right now.” I said. Ps. I’m not pissed. Just dumbfounded. “I find you really adorable right now.” He smiled. Oh God again with the compliments. 

“O…k?” How do I reply to that. “to be honest, I was stressed about you.” He said. Huh…  well don't we both feel the same. “I was really bothered by what I told you last week. Not that I want to take it back. I… what I said back then, It just came out. I’m sorry if I shocked you.” I stared as he explained to me. I didn’t think that he would be spending so much time reflecting on that. He just didn’t seem like the type who would have such deep thoughts such as that. 

“I thought so hard about how I should apologize about blurting something like that, I started to have another thing to be sorry about. Then there was that thing during middle school too.” I nodded, accepting all of his words and explanation. Looking back at it now, the thing back in middle school seemed so small and immature of us. We are both competitive by nature, maybe that’s why we were so full of pride back then. “It’s fine. I'm sure you had your reasons.” I simply said.

“You’re not going to ask why I did all that?” he asked, probably shocked by my calm reaction. I wanted to drop it, but if he insists… “What happened in 8th grade… I always thought it was a little over the top.” I said. It was an honest thought. Although I don't see the point of digging this out from our 10 year past. 

"that day, when our rankings came out. it, until I guess he got really mad that he blew up like that." while he was talking, I noticed how casual he brought this up. Maybe he moved passed it already. over heard my parents fighting. My mother cheated on my father and he knew about it long before the fight. He was quiet about I

"I was already in a bad mood then when the rankings came out, it ticked me off bad." He tapped his finger on my hand that was on the table. "I'm sorry I took out my anger on you."  He forced a smile. In return, I patted his hand and gave a genuine smile. Silently telling him that I was ok. 

"I'm sorry too. For slapping you that time." I said.  "don't be. I deserved that. I was a jerk." he chuckled. And I guess that was that. 

Fi course was served shortly after that talk. We shifted to another topic though. We talked about what happened after I exchanged sections. What happened in high school and lastly college. rst

We talked about the very brief moment that our friends dated. Minjung went out with his friend Jongup for 5 months until they split because they couldn't handle long distance. It happened around our high school graduation. 

Minjung got a scolarship in Japan while Jongup stayed in Seoul. He was actually roommates with Daehyun. Hence, the information about Daehyun supposedly having a crush on me back in High school. Of course I did not dare ask him.

I also found out that we do have a lot in common. We have similar tastes, similar opinions, and that our friends both kept us updated about each other. So our conversation had a lot of 'I heard about that from-' and 'Right! ____ told me about that'

We also fell on the topic about our parents. I told him about how my dad and I went by when my mother passed away after we graduated highschool. And he told me about how he became the mother of their family after his real mom left. It was not something to be talked about on a first date but, this was an exemption. 

We lost track of time actually. We spent the rest of the night talking over coffee that the owner had to tell us that they were closing soon. 

"Oh wow. Time does fly." He laughed, checking the clock hung on our right. I gasped. "It's 11?!" I wasn't even tired
.Heck I did not feel sleepy at all. "Let's go?" He grinned, making me nod and smile. True to his word, he did pay the bill. When I offered to pay for the drinks at least, he scolded me. In a joking manner of course.  "You can't pay. This is a date."............. A date? *blushes*

As soon as we went out, the cold air hit us that I involuntarily shivered. He must've noticed because he handed me a hat pack. "Here." he said. I thought about teasing him so I said, "If I use this, I'll have to take out both hands from my pocket." He narrowed his eyes at me. "Please. I'm Jung Daehyun. I always, prepare stuff ahead." He said, taking my other hand and putting that inside his coat's pocket, locking fingers with mine. 

"Oh? What's this? Who gave you permission to hold my hand?" I scolded jokingly but inside I was already freaking out. "We can do this much right? After all, we've known each other for more than 10 years." He cheekily smiled. Proceeding to walk and dragging me in the process. 

"Where are we going?" I asked him. "Taking you home?" He said. But it sounded like he was asking me so I laughed. "We have to take the af each other as we both laughed. bus." I said. "Ahh." He nodded his head in understanding. I led the way back and past the café, looking

We stood in front of the bus stop, waiting for the bus about to approach. When it stopped, he lead me inside and we sat at the not-so-very back. I sat between him and the window, and only then did he bring up another conversation. 


"Do you live alone?" He asked. I looked away and laughed. "Yah. Why would you ask me that?" I asked. "Why? What's wrong with my question?" He asked back, his voice raising a little. I had to cover his mouth and look at him, eye to eye. "You're so loud." I chuckled. 

He blinked his eyes at me, being very still as he swallowed. "S-sorry." he said his voice muffled by my hand. I noticed how his cheeks blushed that it also made me flustered, making me pull my hand away fast. 

"to answer your question. Yes I live alone. And it sounds weird.  It just does." I chuckled. Then, he smirked at me. "Oh." He said. " Oh?" I looked at him threateningly. "No funny thoughts, Jung Daehyun. We made up today."  I punched his shoulder lightly. 

He laughed and said, "What are you talking about? When did I have weird thoughts?" he kept pouting as he talked that it made me smile. He looked cute speaking like this. "How annoying." I cooed.

"And you? You live alone?"  I asked. He nodded and said, "Though Daehwi will be moving in soon. He's going to college next month." .... "Your little brother? Ah right, he's at that age already." I said. Wow. I still remember him running around our school hallway on the first day when he went to highschool and our class was on our graduating year. Daehwi

"What is he taking?" I curiously asked. "Chemistry. I never thought of him as a science guy." He suddenly looked up in thought "I never thought you were a nice guy either." I muttered, looking out the window for a second before I felt him lean his head on my shoulder. "And I never thought you were ever going to be friends with me, yet here we are." He smiled, looking up at me. "Touché, Jung Daehyun."  I smiled back. 


"By the way, why are you leaning on me?" I asked as I looked out the window once again. "You have no romantic bone in your system you know that." He grunted, sitting up and leaning on the other side instead. I held in my laughter as I looked at his sulking face. 

If this is him flirting, or being friendly, I didn't care. Because I honestly don't mind this attitude of his. It felt like, he was making up for all the years that we were cold with one another. 

This way it would be waaayy easier working with him. Plus, we get to tell our friends that we, Jung Daehyun and I, Lee Minkyung, have finally made peace.


"Do you know that feeling? Not being able to help but to be attracted to something that you hate." I blurted. He turned to me, frowning at my words. "What's your point?" raising a brow, he asked. "I'm saying that I think I'm starting to like you." 

he smiled. "You meant that as what?" He asked. I squinted my eyes and frowned. "As a colleague maybe?" I asked out loud. "I think I like you too, Lee Minkyung." He grinned, pinching my cheek.

"As a colleague too?" I asked. "No...As a person. A friend. Perhaps...as a woman." Well that made me speechless. 

"A woman? Really?" I laughed softly. Feeling both flattered and embarrassed. I suddenly remembered that thing that Minjung told me, about him having a crush on me in high school. I looked at him as he nodded his head, smiling silently. Oh, Jung Daehyun. I shook my head at him and laughed. "Oh." I glanced at the street and saw that we were at my stop. "We go down here?" I nodded in reply. 

The walk home was quiet. I guess we were both stuck with our own thoughts. 

I was busy thinking about tonight's events. Things really do happen when you least expect them to. And this night with Daehyun is one. 

"I suddenly wish that we were friends back then." I blurted. "If we started hanging out back then, what do you think could have happened?" I asked out loud. Only a  soft dog howl could be heard while we walked, as well as the clicking of my heels. We were still holdings hands, he took my hand as soon as we stepped out of the bus. I didn't mind him doing that. Infact, I quite liked it. 

"I think we could have been bestfriends. I never would've thought of you as a rival at least." he said. "I was thinking why I hated you so much the moment you came to our school." he laughed. I looked at him and glared jokingly. "Why? What was so wrong with me back then?" I asked. 

"You're pretty, and smart, you also have this cute personality but at the same time charisma. I was a kid for hating you, i didn't know any better." I smiled down at his brief description of me. "So basically, we just found each other annoying for having the same persona." I laughed. "Exactly."  He snapped his finger and laughed as well. 

Our walk came to an end when I spotted the building where my apartment resides. I stopped and faced him, letting go of his hand and handing him back his hot pack. 

"I had a fun night. Thank you." I smiled. He grinned while brushing his hair back, he said, "I enjoyed as well. And Thank you for showing up. I had a 50-50 percent gut feeling that you would ignore me but, that was my fault." He laughed, obviously embarrassed because of his red ears. 

"And if it's not too soon for you, I'd really like to take you out on another date. That is if, you're ok with it? Otherwise we can treat it as casual dinner between two friends." I chuckled at his second attempt of asking me out. 

"Another date.....doesn't sound all that bad."  I said. I thought back about what he said earlier, seeing me as a woman,  potentially to be someone he could date. Him asking me out like this, doesn't seem bad at all. "To be completely honest, I think i'm starting to see you in the same light." I said. 

"Well duh we're under one street light." he said that made me punch his shoulder very lightly. "You know what I meant." I laughed. " Mm. Nope. I don't think so." he teased. I pushed him lightly by the shoulder, then he smiled at me and nodded. Suddenly, he took out his hand for mine. 

I thought he wanted a goodbye handshake but he flipped my hand instead and kissed the back of my hand. "I'll see you on Monday then. Unless you want to have lunch tomorrow." I narrowed my eyes at him, not totally hating his sweet action and words. "I don't know. Maybe I'll call you tonight and say yes for lunch tomorrow." I took a step closer and leaned my face very close to his. "Or we can go up now and have breakfast tomorrow." I whispered, teasing him a little with whispers. 

"Hmm. Maybe after a few more dates. Then I'll take you up on your offer." He smiled at me, tucking my hair behind my ear before he took a step back then pinched my cheek. "Sweet dreams Minkyung." He turned his back to me and waved goodbye as I stood there admiring his charming reply and his manly figure striding his way back to our route. One last turn and a wave of the hand to me then I was off and inside my building. 


As soon as I got inside, I admired the single wrapped flower he gave me. Squinting my eyes for a better look, I unwrapped the whole thing to see what it is. Aside from the card and chocolate plate writings, there was writing on the wrapping paper too. 

"Lee Minkyung, thanks for accepting my apology." It said. "Just how many times is he going to be sorry."  I laughed, flipping the paper over and seeing more words at the bottom.

it said, "I'll do better in the future. I promise." with a wink emoji. How cute. I took a picture of it and sent it to Daehyun. Then below it I said, "What future are you talking about?" I tried not to laugh when the notif of him typing came on. So quick.

"Tomorrow. 11 AM. I'll pick you up." he replied. "Wear something less y, you were disturbingly gorgeous tonight." 

With that last reply, I threw my phone on my bed and muffled my embarrassed laugh on my pillow.

Jung Daehyun, you are really something. 

 

 


Intensity: 9/10,
OC: Lee Minkyung
Artist: Jung Daehyun
Genre: Romance