dzri

Airport

Sooyoung is up early. She couldn't sleep well thinking about everything she needs to prepare. She decides to stop wasting time in bed and get up. Like most weekends, she's at her parents' house. When she goes down to the kitchen to get something to eat, she realizes that maybe it's not that early. Or maybe her parents get up early, too.
Why up so early, princess? says her father.
Hi Dad, she smiles. I have to do some things... she says, sitting in front of her father at the table.
Have breakfast before leaving, Soo, says his mother, bringing her a cup of coffee. Where do you have to go so early?
Sooyoung hasn't told his parents about Sehun yet, but she's sure they suspect something. His name was mentioned too many times in the stories the girl told about Europe, and appeared in too many photos to be just an acquaintance. She almost lets the story of the night together in Brussels slip in front of her parents. Maybe they wouldn't have said anything. But she's not ready to tell them she had spent the night with a boy she had only met for two weeks. 
I have to meet a... with some friends.
Her parents look at each other and she can't feel any more uncomfortable.
He is just a friend.
Sooyoung, you don't have to lie to us. You're a grown up girl, we only want the best for you
, says her mother.
Do you have a boyfriend?, asks her father. She doesn't want to talk about this with her parents. But she knows they only want the best for her. After all, she is their only daughter.
He... we're friends... we're getting to know each other..., she doesn't know what she's saying anymore. Her father smiles.
What is his name?
Sehun.
She says without thinking. Maybe too fast. Maybe she should've lied. She doesn't know if her parents remember his name from her stories about his trip to Europe.
The boy you met in Europe, her mother says. It's not even a question.
Yes.
Is he Korean?
asks his father. Sooyoung laughs shyly.
Yes, Dad.
He traveled to Europe to visit his mother
, says her mother. 
Ah, is he the boy who invited you to his house in London? Her father wonders if his wife already knew or perceived it.
It was her mother's house...
And where are you two doing today?
asks her father again.
I have to... her mother is coming from London for a few days and... she was very good to me while I was there. So I wanted to help him prepare the welcome for her.
So you're going to meet your boyfriend's mother? Again?
, asks her mother, and Sooyoung nods. She doesn't know if they are upset or not. They shouldn't, but well, you never know.
That's a little... unfair. Sooyoung doesn't understand what her father means. I mean... you spent three weeks living with her and now you're going to see her again. And we still haven't met the boy. She knows that her father is joking, but she also knows that every joke hides a truth and that her parents really want to meet Sehun. But Sooyoung doesn't know if it's what the boy wants. After all, the fact that she and his mother met was only because of the trip. And the reunion they'll have in a few hours had more to do with an initiative from her than from Sehun. 
I don't know, I'd have to ask him. He works a lot... and studies... he'd have to find the time...,  she knows her parents won't buy all those excuses.
Invite him over one weekend, Sooyoung.
Next weekend he's invited. Tell him he doesn't have to bring anything
. Sooyoung was going to protest but his mother continued talking, And if he can't next weekend, we'll wait for him in two weeks. Or the one after that.
Let him come whenever he wants, his father adds.
I'll tell him, but really, I don't know when he will be able to come. Her mother caresses her head as if she were a little girl. She is their baby after all.

Sooyoung!. He is in the patio, where there's a grill and a pool. But while the weather isn't cold enough not to eat out, it's not hot enough to get into the water.
Sehun, she says and gives him a kiss, and then leave some bags on one of the tables. Her father offered to take her to his house, and Sooyoung had to negotiate. She would accept on the condition that he would stay in the car. Her father complained, as his goal was to meet her daughter's boyfriend, but she won. 
Was that your father?
Hmm?
The one in the car, was your father? I saw you get out of the car
, he says smiling.
Yes, he offered to drive me.
Very nice car...
Yes?
But what got out of it is nicer...
Oh no, please. Stop being so corny.
He laughs.
What? it's true, you're very pretty, he says and kisses her a little more passionately than before.
It's not the first time she's been in his house. In fact, she's there the weekends she's not at her parents', and some other day she decides to spend the night there. Since they study at different universities, their places of residence are a little far away. Sehun finally moved alone and now lives in a house that belongs to his mother's family. Sometimes he feels a little guilty for not living with his father anymore, but at least he's not completely alone, but with Bruce, the dog. The place where he lives is relatively close to where he studies, and anyway, Sehun has a car, so it's not a problem. Sooyoung's residence is a little far away, in the centre, away from his parents' house and Sehun's one. In fact, the houses of Sehun and her parents are quite close by. And Sooyoung regrets having let her father take her there. It wouldn't be unusual for him to show up at his daughter's boyfriend's house.
I missed you.
I missed you too, handsome
, she says, cutely pouting at him. 
Who's being cheesy now? he says. 
I'm kidding... you're not handsome at all.
Really?
Yeah. I mean, you're fine.
Just fine?
he asks, grabbing her by the waist. She nods wrinkling her nose. Well, fine is fine.
What time is your mother coming? she says, wrapping her arms around his neck and standing on her toes.
We still have time. Like... he looks at his cell phone, six hours, seven maybe.
That long?
You came early. Why is that? Desperate to see your "just fine" boyfriend?
Actually... Well yes, I missed you.
She says and he raises an eyebrow.
"Actually" what?
Nothing. I got up early because I wanted to come and help you.
Oh, okay. Thank you so much for coming
, he says, hugging her and kissing her cheek.
Sehun goes back to what he was doing before she arrived, and Sooyoung enters the house to leave what she bought in the refrigerator. She knows that sooner or later she'll have to tell Sehun that her parents want to meet him. But she doesn't know whether to do it now. Maybe it'll make him more anxious before his mother arrives. But if she doesn't tell him now, she'll be nervous all day.
Sehun goes into the kitchen for a drink and Sooyoung thinks it's a chance to tell him.
Baby, come here, she says and Sehun leaves the glass on the counter to get closer to her.
What is it? She sighs and he frowns. Sooyoung, what is it?
It's nothing bad, it's just that... today I talked to my parents... they asked me... I don't know how the conversation came out, but we ended up talking about you. They asked me where I was going and I told them...
Sooyoung is trying to form a phrase but her words don't have much coherence.
You talked to your parents about me.
Yes...
And they know we're dating.
Yes.
And...?
Sooyoung was grateful that Sehun had simplified the conversation for her, but the most difficult part was still missing. And he couldn't guess that.
And they want... They also know I'm having dinner with your mother. He nods, to let her continue.
They want to meet you.
Oh, I understand
, he says, and that's why you're so nervous? That's why you have trouble talking, he laughs, I... my parents... they said... today... dda dda, he starts making fun of her. And she pretends to be offended.
Don't be silly, I'm really nervous.
No, no, I know that, I told you, it was impossible to understand a word you were saying
. She glares at him, and he caresses her cheek. Why are you so nervous? Do you think your parents won't like me?, he asks seriously.
No, it's not that. I don't know. The truth is that I never... I don't know... maybe...
Oh no, not the stuttering again
, he says, holding his head in a funny way.
Stop, she says, grabbing his hands and laughing.
You never introduced a boyfriend to your parents?
Maybe...
He smiles. It's not because I haven't had boyfriends before...
Well! I didn't want to know that
, he says, putting a hand over .
They want you to come home. They said you're invited next weekend. He raises his eyebrows, But you don't have to if you don't want to, Sehun, really.
Of course I want to meet your parents Sooyoung. I can't next week because it is my brother's birthday. But, I don't know, when they invite me again, it will be an honor to meet them. To meet the parents of my beautiful girlfriend
, he says, squeezing her cheeks.
They said you can come whenever you want.
Really? Well... in two weeks...
I can't. I'm going to be studying for my exams.
Oh, that's right, you are a nerd.
You're the nerd who studies computer... something like that. Some computers.
Video games
, he jokes.
That's right, she says laughing.
How about three weeks then.
Well, I'll tell my parents. Is it really okay with you?
Do your parents stutter too?
Laugh now, Sehun. That day you'll be the one stuttering.

 

Ah so cute.
Should I write the meeting between Sehun and his in-laws?