Bonus

Country Boy (I Love You)

“Junhong, call Kim Himchan in here, please,” Youngjae calls through the intercom. Junhong, despite being in full view of Youngjae, has visibly been texting for the past hour (and the only reason Youngjae hasn’t called him out on it is that he knows Junhong doesn’t have a lot to do today. It’s definitely not because he’s been texting all day too. He’s the manager, he doesn’t do things like that). Sheepishly, Junhong throws Youngjae an apologetic look before walking off to find Himchan. “Unbelievable,” Youngjae huffs to himself. “Kid gets himself a boyfriend, and suddenly it’s a free-for-all.”

“Please, he’s not special,” Himchan says, throwing the door open without knocking. Junhong follows him, back to typing away on his phone. “Everyone has a boyfriend these days. I have one. Even you have one. And you know, now that I mention it, you’d really think that would have loosened you up more.”

“Funnily enough, I know how to divide my time between work and play, hyung,” Youngjae says before Himchan can add something suggestive like in more ways than one, am I right? or point out that Youngjae’s phone is visibly on top of his desk, clearly having been used just moments ago. “It’s called ‘having life skills.’ Possibly both of you could learn from me.”

“I’d rather not,” Junhong says. “It looked like Daehyun-hyung was sending you some pretty interesting things earlier, and I don’t want to know about any of it.”

“My baby, ting at work?” Himchan gasps, pretending to faint. “What has that boy done to you?”

“We weren’t ting,” Youngjae says, affronted. Junhong and Himchan both give him a look, clearly not buying it, and Youngjae reddens slightly. “Fine, if you really have to know, he keeps sending me compliments like, every hour.”

“And you’re embarrassed by this?” Himchan asks, raising an eyebrow.

“I’m not embarrassed,” Youngjae says defensively. It’s not a lie - it’s just that Daehyun’s texts do include some more suggestive compliments in addition to his sweeter messages, but Youngjae isn’t about to tell either of his friends about that. “It’s just...different. If anyone should be embarrassed, it’s you, prancing around acting like that ring on your finger isn’t an engagement ring.”

“I agree,” Junhong interjects without looking up from his phone. “Why would you even want to pretend that you’re not engaged, anyway, hyung?”

“I’ve told you a million times that this is just a promise ring,” Himchan says, glaring at both of them.

“Hyung, do you hear yourself?” Youngjae cuts him off before he can continue. “In the adult world, ‘promise ring’ translates to ‘we’re getting married,’ and it’s frankly weird that you don’t already know this.”

Himchan sighs, collapsing heavily on the couch. “Because,” he says in a tone that suggests it should be obvious, “Yongguk never proposed. He just gave me the ring. There’s a difference.”

“Just propose yourself then,” Junhong suggests, finally abandoning his phone and giving the conversation his full attention. “Yongguk-hyung would obviously say yes.”

“We’ve only been dating for two months,” Himchan deadpans. “That’s not really enough time to decide to propose.”

“You haven’t been genuinely interested in anyone but him for years,” Youngjae says. “And anyway, if it’s okay to have ‘promise rings’ then engagement rings aren’t a huge step up. Because they’re the same thing.”

“Fine,” Himchan says, rolling his eyes good-naturedly. “Whatever. I’ll think about it. But it’s kind of hard when I live here and he lives there, you know.”

“Move there,” Junhong says easily. “That’s what I’m gonna do if things work out.”

Youngjae and Himchan both stare at him. “You’re planning on moving?” Youngjae asks, completely taken aback. “To the farm?”

“Not right away,” Junhong says with a shrug, though he looks a little pink. “Since we only just started dating, it’s kind of soon to start thinking about long-term stuff, but I think we’re both serious and I’d rather move there.” He looks at Youngjae and offers him an apologetic smile. “Not that I don’t like being your secretary, hyung.”

“Yeah, no, I know, that’s fine,” Youngjae says, still a little dazed from the unexpected news. “Well, if Himchan-hyung is willing to leave the city then that’s an option for him too, I guess.” He looks at Himchan expectantly. “Or maybe Yongguk-hyung would be okay with moving here, like Daehyun.”

“Maybe,” Himchan echoes, before clearing his throat. “Anyway, I hate to be the wet blanket, but did Manager Yoo really call me in here to gossip about our love lives? And here I was thinking that you’re a serious worker.”

Youngjae rolls his eyes and partially snaps back into business-mode. “I called you in here because somehow, you’re the second-highest ranking employee in the office, which unfortunately means you’ll be in charge for the afternoon. I have a meeting and I won’t be coming back to the office after.”

“He’s got an appointment at the train station,” Junhong says helpfully.

“He’s coming today, huh?” Himchan wiggles his eyebrows suggestively. “Skipping work to see your loverboy? Maybe he is loosening you up a bit after all.”

“I have a meeting,” Youngjae stresses, though he knows it’s futile. (And admittedly, it is just a lunch meeting - he really is missing the rest of the day to pick Daehyun up from the station. But it’s just for today, and he already promised Daehyun, okay? It’s not a big deal.)

“So Himchan-hyung, you’ll be overseeing the office for the rest of the day,” Junhong says, bringing the conversation back to the matter at hand.

“Amazing, I can’t wait to leave this place in flames,” Himchan says cheerfully.

Youngjae opens his mouth to say something in retaliation, but his phone chimes four times before he can get the words out. He snatches it up embarrassingly quickly, and he just knows Himchan and Junhong have the most obnoxious expressions on their faces as they watch him read the messages.

From: Daehyunnie

halfway there ^_^

see u soon cutie <3333333

cant wait til i get to have my hands all over u <333333

 by which i mean cuddling u, of course ;)

Youngjae inhales sharply at the third message and hides a smile at the fourth, suddenly unable to wait either. He looks up to find Himchan and Junhong looking at him with amusement. “Shut up,” he says petulantly.

“We’ll just leave you to it, Manager Yoo,” Himchan winks, standing up and walking to the door. Junhong follows suit, trailing after Himchan with his attention back on his own phone. “You’re clearly very busy.” His gaze softens as he sends Youngjae a genuine smile right as they’re about to leave Youngjae’s office. “Have fun this afternoon, okay? You deserve it.”

Youngjae smiles back and casts his gaze back down to Daehyun’s texts, his heart warm. Yeah, he thinks. He does deserve it.