Herbs & Spices

Herbs & Spices
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Thursday, 10 PM.

 

What a day. It felt so good to be home, finally. As Jin opened the front door of his apartment, exhaustion submerged him. He wanted nothing more but to take a nap, here and now.

Screams and shouts erupted upstairs.

« KAI ! »

Jin’s youngest son ran down the stairs and hid behind him, holding onto his arm.

More stomping followed.

« Kai, give it back ! »

Jin looked at his eldest son and sighed.

« Yeonjun, turn it down a notch, thank you. And what is going on ? » He refrained from adding "again".

« He took my phone ! »

« Huhuh, no ! » Kai protested.

Jin shook his head in disbelief and turned around, facing the shorter boy.

« Aren't you guys too old for this ? Give it back to your brother. »

Kai looked at his feet, playing with his fingers before pulling the device out of his jacket and handing it back to Yeonjun who immediately snatched it.

« And... »

« Sorry. »

« Good. Now, I guess you’ve finished your homework if you have so much time to mess with one another. »

The two boys glanced at each other and ran back upstairs.

« That’s what I thought, » Jin sighed, finally taking off his coat.

It had been a long, long day. Like "I hate my job" kind of day. His boss had been breathing on his neck all day, as if the customers waiting one more minute for a cappuccino was a matter of life or death. And then, he still had to go to the coffee shop early the next morning to open and take Yoongi’s shift. The poor guy was stuck in bed with gastric flu.

 

He was greeted with a cheerful « Hey Dad ! » when he came into the living-room.

« Good evening ! »

He smiled back at Soobin, his second eldest, who was busy on his laptop while his other son Beomgyu was watching a show on Netflix.

« There are dinner leftovers in the kitchen. »

Jin sighed in relief. « Thank you. »

 

 

« How was your day, Dad ? » Soobin asked.

« Tiring, » Jin answered, a plate of pasta in hands, « but okay. How about you ? How was uni ? »

He shrugged. « Fine I guess. »

« You guess ? »

« Yeah. »

No other word followed.

« Okay then. »

He turned to Beomgyu. « And what about you, baby ? »

« It was boring, except for music class. »

« Of course, » Soobin chuckled.

« Like, my history teacher kept describing torture methods during WWII, it was gross ?!  And it was right after lunch so I thought I might as well throw up on his shoes ! »

« Oh my gosh, aren't you exaggerating ? Was it that graphic ? »

« I mean, I can tell you a whole lot of stuff about rats– »

« Stop ! » Jin exclaimed, eyes wide. « Stop it right there. »

« See ?! It was really gross. »

« I believe you. But I'm about to eat myself so please, have mercy... » Jin pleaded, sitting down on the couch next to him, ready to dig in. « Wait... where’s Taehyun ? »

« Soccer, » Soobin replied, not looking up from his screen.

« Are we Thursday already ?! »

« I know Dad, » Beomgyu shook his head, « this week’s flying by. 2018 was three months ago, can you believe ? »

« When you put it that way, » Soobin added. « But he should be home soon, Jungkook hyung went to pick him up. »

« Really ? » Jin furrowed his eyebrows. Now that was new. « Has he eaten yet ? »

« He had a big snack before going, » Soobin answered.

That's when they heard the key in the front door.

« Hey ! » Taehyun ran over to them. « I'm starving ! »

« Kitchen, » Jin smiled.

Taehyun made a thank you gesture and left.

« Hi, hi, hi ! » Jungkook, Jin’s little brother, exclaimed while joining them on the couch.

« Hey bro ! »

« Ew, don't call me like that, you sound so old ! »

« Excuse me ?! » Jin cried out, faking offense.

Jungkook laughed.

 

 

Friday, 12:30 AM.

 

« Boys, leave the phones on the table and go to bed already, we're past midnight. »

Kai left his phone and gave Jin a hug before leaving upstairs, followed by Beomgyu.

« Good night, » Taehyun whispered, standing straight in front of him.

« Good night, Tae. »

Taehyun gave him a shy smile and left.

Jin checked the three youngest were out of sight before turning to his two eldest. As for Jungkook, he had already gone to bed.

« So how was tonight ? »

« Fine, nothing special, » Yeonjun shrugged. « Kai has his parent-teacher meeting next week. »

« On Friday, right ? » Jin asked, pulling out his phone.

Soobin nodded.

« Beomgyu has a party on Saturday night he's probably gonna ask you to go to, » Yeonjun went on.

« Noted. »

« And Taehyun has a game on Sunday. »

Jin sighed. Great.

« I'm working on Sunday. »

« Oh... »

Jin thought for a second. « I'm gonna switch with Yoongi, it should be okay. »

« And Jungkook hyung was home today, » Yeonjun said, « so that was cool. »

« But weird, » Soobin added, « I thought he'd be at work. »

« Yeah... » Jin frowned.

But well, Jungkook was 25, so it was none of his business as long as he paid his share of the groceries. With his five boys, he already had more than enough to worry about. He didn’t need to add his brother twelve years younger than him.

« And you, how about today ? »

« Nothing happened, I've been working on this assignment, » Yeonjun huffed. « I hate coding class sooo so so much. »

« Every time you talk about it, it sounds awful, » Soobin chuckled. « Every single time ! »

« That's because IT IS awful. »

« Alright, I’m opening tomorrow so I'm going to bed, » Jin smiled. « You two don't sleep too late. »

 

 

Jin was reading a book in bed when his door cracked open.

« Hey Dad... »

It was Soobin.

« Soobin, sweetheart. »

And he looked worried.

« What's going on ? »

« Can I talk to you for a minute ? » he breathed out.

« Of course, come here. » Jin patted the empty spot next to him.

Soobin closed the door and came to lie down beside him.

« Actually... » he muttered, « today was a bad day... »

« Aw, come here... » Jin opened his arms and his son snuggled into them. « What happened ? »

« I don’t know, I was in class and as time went by, I felt so... out of place... I don’t know, I don’t think economy's made for me... »

Jin was his hair gently, softly.

« So what if it’s not the right path ? You’ll find the right one eventually. Let me remind you there was a time where I was– »

« In med school, I know... » Soobin sighed.

Jin brushed the hair off his forehead.

« What I mean is, if it’s not for you, then at least now you know, and it can help you think about your project and what you really want to do. »

« But... what if I don’t have a project..? »

« Aw... listen... Be kind to yourself, sweetheart, » Jin whispered, holding him tight. « It’s often when you’re not looking for things that they find you. »

Soobin snuggled even closer.

« If it could find me a little faster, that'd be great. »

 

 

Friday, 11 AM.

 

« I hate him, I freaking hate him ! »

« Calm down, hyung, » Hoseok said, sitting at the counter.

« Why would he say no ? It's just a stupid parent-teacher meeting ! »

Jin was at work, cleaning cups while talking with Hoseok and Jimin. Didn't those two have somewhere else to be ? Jin had no idea, but he really needed someone to rant to.

« Is he even allowed to do that ? » Jimin asked, standing beside Hoseok. « Like, he knows you have the boys, yet he always tries to block you. »

« UGH, I know !! It's so annoying... »

The bell rang and a man in a leather jacket with hair dyed in grey pushed the door of the coffee shop. Jin put on his barista smile.

« Good morning ! How can I help you ? »

« Hello, hm excuse me... » the man said shyly, « I'm looking for Mr. Lee ? »

« Oh, he's in the back, I'm gonna call him, » Jin answered. « Who should I announce ? »

« Ah hm yes, Ki– »

« Ah, good morning Mr. Kim ! » Jin's boss exclaimed in his usual honeyed voice, interrupting them. « Come into my office, there's nothing interesting here. »

It took every ounce of self control for Jin to stay calm and hold back his urge to punch him in the face. Hoseok sent him warning looks, mouthing an "it's okay, keep calm".

« And Seokjin, did you call the afternoon waitress like I told you to ? »

« Yes I did. »

« Well since you always forget, I called anyway. »

On these words, he disappeared in the back of the shop.

« I don’t even know why he made me the team manager if he’s gonna still manage every little thing I do or don’t do… »

« That’s more money for you, » Hoseok shrugged.

« Anyways... » Jin huffed, « I'm gonna have to tell Seunghee to go alone to the teacher meeting. »

« Still can't wrap my head around it... » Jimin furrowed his eyebrows. « You were with a girl... and you had A WHOLE CHILD with her ! »

« Okay, Jimin. Say it louder, the customers by the door can't hear you. »

« No but seriously ? I can't picture it... »

« Well it lasted so long that Kai wasn't even in kindergarten when we broke up so... » Jin sighed.

« Yeah, but I mean... You guys are doing a pretty good job at co-parenting still, » Hoseok said.

« But are we really ? Sometimes I’m scared it’s... too much for him. »

« In what way ? »

« The shared custody, me being the only adult at home, his brothers with... their own issues... » Jin sighed. « Sometimes I just feel like I’m not enough for them... »

« Are you kidding me ?! » Jimin sounded offended. « How dare you say that ? YOU’RE A FREAKING HERO ! »

« Right ! The boys love you so much ! » Hoseok added, « but would you really be a parent if you weren’t constantly worried you’re doing it all wrong ? »

Jin chuckled softly. « I guess you’re right. »

« Of course ! » Jimin exclaimed, « I’m always right ! »

Hoseok shook his head.

« Anyway, don't you guys have somewhere else to go ? » Jin asked.

« Like..? » Jimin frowned.

« I don't know, your job ? »

Hoseok burst out laughing.

« I don't have any dance classes to teach for at least two-three hours ! » Jimin cried out.

« But that reminds me I should go home and see how Yoongi's doing... » Hoseok said while checking the time on his phone.

« Oh my ! » Jimin squeaked. « Only touch him with a ten feet pole ! »

« Hahaha ! If you were scared I’d kiss him, not a chance ! »

« Ew, gross ! » Jin exclaimed.

« I think I’m gonna puke, » Jimin whined.

That was when Jin's boss and "Mr. Kim" came back.

« I'll call you next week, » his boss said while shaking the other one's hand.

« Sure. Thank you for meeting me. »

As he turned around to leave, his and Jin's gaze met. He gave him a kind smile and Jin smiled back. Sincerely this time.

 

 

Friday, 5 PM.

 

« Dad, please ! »

« I don't know, baby, » Jin answered.

« But it’s a huge party, everyone’s gonna be there, » Beomgyu went on, « all my friends will be there and it’s gonna be really really fun, please ! »

Jin sighed. « Whose place again ? »

A big smile grew on his son’s face.

« Haechan's. »

Who ?

« It’s for his birthday ! And his older brother will be there, if that’s what you’re worried about. It won’t be just a bunch of 17-18 year olds home alone. »

Jin was not convinced.

« Are you even friends with... Haechan ? »

« Dad, he invited the whole class ! I have to go ! »

« Hm... If your brother drives you there and picks you up then. »

« But everyone is sleeping over though... No need to disturb Yeonjun hyung with that... »

Jin gave him a fixed look.

« Okay, I’ll give him the address ! » Beomgyu exclaimed. « Thank you Dad ! I’ll be good, you won’t regret it ! »

Ah, kids...

 

 

Friday, 7 PM.

 

Jin

Hey ! Can you go to Kai’s parent-teacher meeting without me next Friday ? Sorry to tell you only now, I thought I could make it but I’m working...

 

Seunghee

Hi Seokjin ! :)

I mean, I guess ? It’s 6 PM right ?

Jin

Yes

Seunghee

It should be okay then !!

Jin

Thank you ! I really wanted to go too but I can’t :(

Seunghee

No problem ;) I’ll tell you if they say anything interesting (they won’t)

Jin

Lol thanks

 

 

Friday, 9 PM.

 

« Come on, faster ! » Kai cried out while pressing the buttons of his controller.

As every Friday, they had had dinner early and were having their usual video games night. This time it was Mario Kart.

« Try harder, child ! » Jungkook let out an evil laugh.

Jin loved watching them.

Taehyun was very focused on the race, getting past every sharp turn, taking the short cuts, ignoring the others’ noises. While Soobin was a little...

« Oh my gosh I’M THE WORST ! »

Louder.

« First ! » Jungkook jumped on his feet.

« HYUNG NO ! » Kai yelled, « I was gonna beat you ! »

« Too slow, » Jungkook winked.

« You cheated ! »

« Did not ! »

« Yes you did ! »

« What do you mean, 7th PLACE ?! » Soobin cried out.

« Hyung, you’re so bad ! » Beomgyu cackled.

« Soobin, give me the joystick, » Yeonjun smirked, « time to show you how it’s done. »

« Rolling my eyes to infinity, » Beomgyu huffed.

« Same, » Soobin added while Taehyun laughed.

Jin loved watching them like this.

« Dad, Dad ! » Kai called him. « Your turn ! »

He loved them all so much.


 

Saturday, 1 AM.

 

Yoongi

Okay, I’ll switch

 

Jin

Thank you so much !!

 

Yoongi

But you owe me a sleep in


 

« Hey... »

« Tae, baby ? You’re not sleeping ? » Jin asked as his son joined him in his bedroom.

« I... I was... » Taehyun was searching his words, « I have a game on Sunday morning. But it’s okay if you can’t come ! You’re probably working... »

« Come here, » Jin said, arms wide open.

Taehyun came into his embrace.

« I’ll be there for your game, I worked it out with Yoongi, so don’t you worry... » Jin said softly, « you know I wouldn’t wanna miss it. »

Taehyun sighed.

« You know I love you, » Jin held him tighter, « I love you so much... just as much as your brothers. I love you all the same way. »

« Me too. » Taehyun slid his arms around him. « Me too... »

They stayed like this for a few minutes, cuddling quietly, the calm sound of their breathing vibrating against Jin’s eardrums.

« Hey... »

« Yes, Tae ? »

« Thank you… »

« It’s normal, Tae, that’s what parents do. »

Taehyun snuggled up closer to him.

« I love you, Dad. »


 

Saturday, 8 PM.

 

« Are you sure ? » Jin furrowed his eyebrows. « I can stay home if it's easier. »

« Hyuuung... » Jungkook whined, « just leave already, go have fun with the guys. »

« There are leftovers in the fridge. And don't let Kai and Taehyun stay up too late, Tae has– »

« A game tomorrow, I know ! »

« And Beomgyu– »

« Dad ! » Soobin cried out as he saw him in the entrance, « what are you still doing here ? »

« I'm driving Beomgyu to and picking him up from his party tonight, » Yeonjun said, « everything's gonna be fine, you can go. »

« Okay... » Jin took a deep breath. « Boys ! I'm going, you better be good with your hyungs ! »

« Yesss ! » The voices of his three youngest erupted from the living room.

« Okay then... »

« They heard, now bye hyung ! » Jungkook grinned and shut the door on him.


 

Saturday, 9 PM.

 

« He said it ?! » Hoseok exclaimed.

« Oh my gosh, hyung, » Yoongi gasped, « this it it. »

Jin took a sip of his drink. He was at Yoongi and Hoseok's apartment, the three of them just chilling together. He had to give it to Jungkook and his sons, it was nice for once.

« Yes… and like, Jungkook said he would call me Dad in front of them... » Jin said, « but he never said it to me before... »

« Hyung, I'm so happy for you ! » Hoseok was beaming.

Jin felt warm inside. He always made sure that Taehyun, being the last one to join their family, wouldn't feel left out or less than. But he never knew if it was enough or if he was doing the right thing. This was so reassuring.

« I think he's finding his place, bits by bits. »

And it felt good.

« That's great, hyung, » Yoongi smiled. « I don't know how you find it in you, you have such a big heart... »

« People usually want to adopt babies, but not our Jin hyung, » Hoseok commented.

« I don't know, I just can't bear the thought of children living the way Jungkook and I did... » Jin sighed, « Taehyun was 14 when he moved in, and so what ? »

Each and every one of his sons, he adopted them whole, with their own personality, their insecurities and their past.

« Sometimes I'm scared I treat Kai differently without noticing, but I don't think I do... I never got this thrown at me during a fight, so I hope I'm doing it right. »

« Nah, don't worry, » Yoongi said, « you treat him the same as his hyungs. »

« Except for the youngest child syndrome every family has, » Hoseok giggled.


 

Sunday, 1:30 AM.

 

Jin's phone buzzed.

« Jungkook..? » Jin frowned. « I need to take this. »

« Sure, no problem, » Yoongi said.

Jin picked the call.

« Hey Kook ? Is everything okay ? »

« Hyung, don't freak out. »

Jin abruptly stood up from his seat.

« Why should I ? »

« Yeonjun went to pick Beomgyu up. And he called me in a panic ? »

Jin's heart was pounding against his ribcage.

« His friends say he went outside with someone else and they haven't seen him return yet. And Yeonjun said he doesn't answer his phone. »

« I'm coming ! »

« Thank you, hyung ! I'm texting you the address ! »


 

Sunday, 2:30 AM.

 

« What were you thinking ?! »

They were finally back home.

After looking for Beomgyu in the neighborhoods around Haechan's house, they had eventually found him on the street somewhere. Jin and Beomgyu had started fighting as soon as the front door was shut, while Jungkook and Yeonjun were standing by them quietly.

« We did nothing wrong ! » Beomgyu cried out, « we just went for a walk ! »

« In the city when you were supposed to be at Haechan's ?! » Jin exclaimed.

« I wasn't on my own ! »

« And so what ?! » Jin was furious. « We've been looking for you everywhere ! And who were you with ? »

Beomgyu scowled.

« Just a boy ! »

« Oh really ? And who's that boy ? »

« He's just a boy from school ! »

« And do I know him ? »

« What kind of interrogation is that ? Why do you care ? »

« Because I'm your father ! »

« No you're not ! »

« BEOMGYU ! » Yeonjun shouted.

Jin froze.

Beomgyu's eyes widened at his own words.

« Go to your room, » Jungkook said curtly, « now. »

Beomgyu looked down to his feet and ran upstairs.

Jin stayed there, dumbstruck.

« Dad... » Yeonjun mumbled, « he didn't mean it... »

« I'm going to my room too. » Jin's voice broke on the last syllables.

« Dad, wait ! »

Everything was in a blur.

He closed the door behind him. The apartment was dark and oh so quiet. He let himself slide down to the floor until he was nothing but a ball of tears.


 

Sunday, 8:30 AM.

 

« Hey, hyung, » Jungkook said as he entered the bathroom on Jin brushing his teeth.

« Hm ? »

« I’m gonna be there for Taehyun’s game, but then I’ll probably go back home and sleep. »

Jin cocked an eyebrow. « Okay but why ? »

Jungkook sat on the edge of the bathtub.<

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter